Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 14 Sep 2004, 09:03 (Ref:1096041)   #1
vandijk
Veteran

Netherlands
vandijk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridvandijk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Le Mans books -- what are your fav's

I will be travelling/backpacking for over a month trough South-East Asia in a couple of weeks. I will likely spend days in planes, boats and buses so I would like to carry some books with me. Vin and Frank gave me the book 'Le Mans' from Koen Vergeer (in Dutch) for my birthday but since I will leave the DSLR back a home (saves me 5Kg) I have room for another one.

So what (Le Mans/sportscar related-)book would you bring and why?!

Last edited by vandijk; 14 Sep 2004 at 09:05.
Old 14 Sep 2004, 15:58 (Ref:1096425)   #2
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Sander, try this page ; even if the bookshop is french, I assume you'll get the titles, and most are in english... if needed, I'll translate.

"les rétrospectives" means (more or less !) "tales of the past"

"les récits" means "stories"

"Disponibilité occasionnelle ... nous consulter" means "second hand : ask for availability"

Last edited by Fab; 14 Sep 2004 at 16:03.
Old 14 Sep 2004, 16:48 (Ref:1096457)   #3
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
I like Brian Laban's Le Mans 24 Hours, but the size and weight of this book is not ideal for a backpakking trip.

Maybe Le Mans – A Pocket History by David Blumlein? (didn't read this book myself)

Is the book of Koen Vergeer a good book?
Old 15 Sep 2004, 06:20 (Ref:1096973)   #4
mikmx
Racer

Netherlands
rotterdam
mikmx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Koen vergeer's book is an excellent choice. His book f1 fan is an f1 book but mostly about historic f1 racing, so quite good too. Brian Laban's book is very very good but indeed not practical. I would take a french kiss with death about the making of the Steve McQueen movie, it's great.
Old 15 Sep 2004, 17:52 (Ref:1097490)   #5
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Laban's book is my fave really, thanks largely to the great photography. "AFKWD" is also a terrific read as mikmx says.
Old 15 Sep 2004, 18:58 (Ref:1097535)   #6
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Today I got Porsche In Motorsport (Fifty Years On Track) by Peter Morgan delivered. This books has also nice photo's.
Old 15 Sep 2004, 21:02 (Ref:1097646)   #7
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I just got Scarlet Passion: Ferrari's Famed Sports Prototype and Competition Sports Cars by Anthony Pritchard, but again, not much of a backpacking book.

Have you considered Burt Levy's "The Last Open Road?" Not Le Mans, but fun stuff about sportscar racing in the US immediately post-war, told from a 20-year-old's perspective.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 15 Sep 2004, 23:12 (Ref:1097752)   #8
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
adapt!

Quote:
Originally posted by mikmx
I would take a french kiss with death about the making of the Steve McQueen movie, it's great.
But that is another 5kg book in very large format. :confused: Not exactly `backpack friendly'
Old 17 Sep 2004, 12:13 (Ref:1099217)   #9
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
No, but you can always lose that extra pair of socks and underpants........
Old 17 Sep 2004, 16:24 (Ref:1099500)   #10
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A comment

Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi
No, but you can always lose that extra pair of socks and underpants........
He may only be taking the ones he wearing and tuning them inside out each day!
Old 17 Sep 2004, 16:59 (Ref:1099533)   #11
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Or wear no socks and underpants...
Old 17 Sep 2004, 17:13 (Ref:1099541)   #12
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Vandijk, don't know, but from my backpacking memories, do you really want to be lugging along books, especially ones that you wouldn't want to get roughed up or risk getting wet if "whatever" happens?

As much as the reads would be fun, why don't you just take expendable paperbacks and enjoy your trip without having the weight and worry of an perhaps expensive book (or at least ones you'd like to keep on your bookshelf afterwards)?

Just my opinion from someone who has often had too much weight in a backpack and regretted it afterwards.

enjoy your trip in any case and don't come back with any intestinal friends that overdo their stay.
Old 17 Sep 2004, 18:14 (Ref:1099597)   #13
vandijk
Veteran

Netherlands
vandijk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridvandijk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by djb
Vandijk, don't know, but from my backpacking memories, do you really want to be lugging along books, especially ones that you wouldn't want to get roughed up or risk getting wet if "whatever" happens?

As much as the reads would be fun, why don't you just take expendable paperbacks and enjoy your trip without having the weight and worry of an perhaps expensive book (or at least ones you'd like to keep on your bookshelf afterwards)?

Just my opinion from someone who has often had too much weight in a backpack and regretted it afterwards.

enjoy your trip in any case and don't come back with any intestinal friends that overdo their stay.
Good point! Last year I travelled for a month to Thailand and Malaysia and took the Digital SLR, two lenses and a tripod with me... Although the pictures are awesome sometimes I did not feel comfortable with such expensive gear (where do you leave it whilst diving?). Also when hiking in the northern Thai highlands, when you need to take a lot of -clean- water with you it was not always easy.

So, the book Vin and Frank gave me is a paperback and not too heavy I guess I will bring that one along with my Lonely Planet guide. Again big chance that the bag will be put on the roof while I will be sitting between the goats and chickens . On the other hand 300 pages is not enough for over a month traveling -- perhaps I will look into some other (non-Le Mans) paperbacks. Last year in Thailand I've seen plenty of shops were you can easily trade your books.

I have seen some great books in your responses though -- perhaps something for christmas... Thanks!
Old 17 Sep 2004, 19:34 (Ref:1099663)   #14
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
A comment

Quote:
Originally posted by vandijk
I have seen some great books in your responses though -- perhaps something for christmas... Thanks!
Have a good trip and don't forget to write!
Old 17 Sep 2004, 19:57 (Ref:1099677)   #15
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I would bring the book relating the story of Jean Rondeau's team and its victory in 1980. The story of passion.