Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 6 May 2008, 03:24 (Ref:2194856)   #1
STEVO
Veteran

STEVO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
P###r J#####n Falcon? PC Gone MAD!!

Ok. I'm livid. Have a look at the two cars below.

Strange looking vehicles aren't they? What's missing from them? The windows? No, they're their. Hmmm, the numbers? No, they're their too. So what is it? What's wrong with these two pictures?

How about the poor photoshop job from the folks over at BIANTE promoting the all-new look PLAIN BLUE GSR Falcons?

Where the F is the Peter Jackson signage? Were the stickers pulled off and placed in the pile of paperwork concerning the "Marlboro Brock" controversy at the moment?

Australian fans please unite and voice your concern to the white-washing or blue-washing of our racing history! Give me a freakin' break. I'm a huge Seton fan and have never smoked a cigarette in my life! As I'm sure thousands of Brock fans are arguing too!

You can't do this! Any MORON who buys these models from BIANTE is an idiot. And what's frightening is new fans or young fans will think this is how it was. Seton and Jones ran all blue unmarked Falcons? The reality is tobacco giants cannot sponsor cars these days, fine. But they did back in the day. So? C'mon people! This is an insult!

What offends me is that there's no explanation either. No "due to current laws bla bla bla" they just stuck a big bit of blue on it hoping no one would notice?!? Are you for real? Are we THAT stupid? It's not like these cars were back at the field privateers (which is beside the point) anyways, we'd notice that our 1993 Championship winning car looks different!

Isn't BIANTE the same company that sponsors Historic Touring Cars? The same category intended to "celebrate" our RICH past?

This is a joke! First the Brock Holden and now Seton's all blue privateer looking GSR Falcon? These MORONS are re-creating history! Hands off you slimey

It might not seem like a big deal now but if we let little things like this slip past unnoticed then in 10 years time we'll be seeing censored Brock Toranas, blanked out oil giant Falcons and while we're at it... let's start calling Mr. D. Johnson "Richard" in case we offend or titilate!

I'm gonna express my disgust to Biante!
Old 6 May 2008, 03:31 (Ref:2194861)   #2
alfacors
Veteran

alfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridalfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have a look at any model whch should have tobacco signage on it such as the Marlboro Ferrari F1 cars, the West McLarens, Mild Seven Renaults etc. Look at the clothing available from those teams..... NONE of it has tobacco advertising when available for sale in Oz. It's not Biante's fault they have to comply with the law....
Old 6 May 2008, 03:36 (Ref:2194863)   #3
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Its a stupid law, but it is one nonetheless.
Old 6 May 2008, 03:39 (Ref:2194864)   #4
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think it was the latest issue of MRA I noticed the ads for the latest biante release of these Falcons and quickly noticed the stark naked blue cars.

As I recall, as part of an international agreement with the World Health Organization, the tobacco companies do not allow their signage to be on any model cars no matter how historic the livery may be. One might recall the enormous drama when Minichamps released the 1/18 scale Porsche 956s a few years ago with Rothmans livery. That was a huge mess.

I don't think Biante should shoulder the blame as it is an issue out of their control.

I'm sure some savvy decal maker will produce appropriate decals and everyone will be happy.
Old 6 May 2008, 03:39 (Ref:2194865)   #5
Muznik
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast
Muznik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMuznik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Same as ordering a Brock A9X.

Comes without Marlboro stickers & u have to source them seperately

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/set-of-4-marl...QQcmdZViewItem

Agreed its PC gone mad.
Old 6 May 2008, 03:47 (Ref:2194866)   #6
STEVO
Veteran

STEVO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But why post images that have been altered and attempt to pass them off as genuine replicas of the 1993/4 GSR Falcons?

Have a little asteriks * next to it explain the situation or at least say "we know we know we know, but hey we gotta do it". The idea of new young fans not getting an accurate historical depiction of our racing past is vile.

I don't think they should even bother making them. Which Seton/Ford fan will purchase them?

C'mon people, this is insane!
Old 6 May 2008, 03:59 (Ref:2194870)   #7
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I remember saying to someone just after Peter Brock's death that Marlboro would be loving all the old footage being shown on the TV as well as all the old photo's in the press.

It's PC gone annoyingly mad in my opinion.
Old 6 May 2008, 04:14 (Ref:2194874)   #8
Nivola
Racer

Nivola should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A model = toy.

Thus you cannot advertise a ciggie company.

This is something that has been talked about for years and it effects not just collectors but the people that produce the models.

Biante's hands are tied and nothing can be done.
Old 6 May 2008, 04:32 (Ref:2194883)   #9
Mr Walker
Rookie

Australia
Mr Walker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Stevo - I'm hearing ya buddy. The situation is ridiculous.

But to answer your question, how many Brock fans didn't buy the Malboro cars 'cos they were minus the signage? I would guess very few.

The simple fact is people will buy them and put the cigarette decals on themselves. With that in mind, why would Biante bother to have a fight that will cost big time and money when the loss of sales would be limited?

It's up to the public to have that fight. I had arguments with the Health Dept in Western Australia about displaying Paul Stubber's MHDT A9Xs at the Perth GM Owners Day. I used Australian Muscle Car Magazine's argument that they were a historical representation but they wouldn't back down. In the end, I ran the gauntlet and displayed them without complaint even though I was told that the fines were substantial.
Old 6 May 2008, 04:38 (Ref:2194884)   #10
NewsStalker
Veteran

NewsStalker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How long before they remove Sir Walter Raleigh from the history books as well?

(Sort of like the poms banning Noddy and Big Ears simply because Noddy 'felt a little queer'....)
Old 6 May 2008, 06:05 (Ref:2194906)   #11
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In terms of the pictures shown in the Biante add, i think they are just advertising what the model will look like when you get it (devoid of cigarette signage).

Silly yes, but at least they haven't banned old photo's displaying the signage (yet)
Old 6 May 2008, 07:06 (Ref:2194928)   #12
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i know the ban on tabbaco advertising forces the removal of the sponsership but it ****es me off as it does kind of wreck the history behind the model without them, i am going to get the 84 dealer team VK's and that comes without the Malboro decals, i have the 79 A9X which i bought off ebay with the after market Malboro decals fitted it makes it complete and sts it off, i will be putting the Malboro decals on the VK also. **** political correctness!!!

here's the pic's (the pic's small) from classic of the VK's thak i'm getting, it looks wrong without them and i remember biante or classic had just a picture of the car with Malboro scrubbed off like the Seto Pj cars:

just did a search on ebay for you STEVO for the decals and unlike the Malboro decals there is none but i'm sure a shop that sells these cars might be able to tell you where you could find some.

Last edited by Pro Racer; 6 May 2008 at 07:13.
Old 6 May 2008, 07:11 (Ref:2194932)   #13
MPA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
MPA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hard to say if it's a bad case of PC or just a toy company obeying the law.

Anyway, feel free to rant. Better still don't buy the toy if it upsets you.
Old 6 May 2008, 07:21 (Ref:2194935)   #14
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i know the company's have to obey the law and all but farout, it's not like "ohh i seen a model of Brock's beast with Malboro on it so i'm going to take up smoking", i agree with banning them sponsering things now days but when it's a remake of something that carried the signage before the ban there should be a pardon it's not like Malboro are paying to have their name on the side of the model.

while it upsets me they arn't alouwed to put the decals on the car it's not going to make me not buy the model, i will just get the decals put on later they only cost $5 on ebay, i feel sorry for the guys who buy the PJ cars as it seems harder to locate the PJ decals but i'm sure someone will start making them when a few PJ models get produced.
Old 6 May 2008, 07:30 (Ref:2194943)   #15
Datto1600
Rookie

Australia
Toowoomba Qld
Datto1600 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From the biante forum site.

Statement regarding tobacco logos and decals for model cars.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lately there has been a lot of talk regarding the legality of supplying tobacco logo decals for model cars in Australia. As many long time members will know we have been trying to seek clarification on this issue for some time. We have been in contact with Quit WA who have provided the following information.

In Part 3 of the Tobacco Products Control Act 2006 it states:

31. (4) A person must not sell or hire an object that constitutes or contains a tobacco advertisement

(5) In proceedings for an offence under this section it is to be presumed, unless the contrary is proved, that if the thing that is alleged to constitute a tobacco advertisement contains the trade mark in respect of, or registered design or brand name of, a tobacco product or smoking implement then it promotes the tobacco product or smoking implement.

Basically, we cannot sell the decals as they are considered advertising.

Biante have not, and never will, be involved in the production, marketing, or distribution of decals for any models produced by, or distributed through, Biante. Nor will we be knowingly hosting from this point on, links to any website that are involved with these items.

It is unfortunate as we wish to produce these models as accurately as possible but the law is the law but this is the position we have been put in. We would much rather produce models without the full logos than not produce them at all.
Old 6 May 2008, 09:23 (Ref:2195033)   #16
piglos
Rookie

piglos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you look under "Fd Flcon V8 -Petr Jckson - #1 - Glenn Seton" on this site:
http://members.optushome.com.au/pattosplace/home.html , they sell a set of 1/18 decals for $16.
Old 6 May 2008, 09:44 (Ref:2195042)   #17
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
NAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Racer
just did a search on ebay for you STEVO for the decals and unlike the Malboro decals there is none but i'm sure a shop that sells these cars might be able to tell you where you could find some.
FWIIW if you are looking for a sign shop to do some new stickers the best type are actually a print onto clear cast film (cast is thinner than a calandered film and therefore looks better on the model) using a Gerber Edge Printer. The Gerber Edge is getting a little old in the tooth these days but is the perfect printer for this very fine detail work. Many models have this type of print.

On ya STEVO for stepping up and at least having a go. I would be more than happy to sign a petition if it came to that

Last edited by NAC; 6 May 2008 at 09:48.
Old 6 May 2008, 10:14 (Ref:2195074)   #18
I16
Racer

I16 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have never smoked - but have purchased Peter Jackson suits for years [just for court]
Jezz that suit maker got it easy - were there really fags with that name!
Old 6 May 2008, 13:21 (Ref:2195221)   #19
Senna05
Veteran

Australia
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Senna05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Guys, it's life. Sorry, it's how the anti smoking pansie's want it.

You ford guys - stop whining. It'll be ALOT easier to put the PJ decals on than it was for the A9X. The decals don't fit well on the guards, and you need to cut the decals OR the bonnet pins off (I did the bonet pins, and ad them sugically repaired). Even done well, it looks bad up close....
Old 6 May 2008, 13:40 (Ref:2195230)   #20
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Also you have to watch if you convert your model with tobacco details and then try to sell it on a site like ebay. I know Marlboro(Phillip Morris) was going after people selling their conversions.

I'm just glad they are producing the cars. I don't have many model cars due to not having room, but hopefully I'll have a house soon where I can display some cars and having always liked the EB Falcon I may have to get one or two of these.
Old 6 May 2008, 15:56 (Ref:2195316)   #21
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPA
Hard to say if it's a bad case of PC or just a toy company obeying the law.
Abit of both i think.

They are obeying the law by not selling the model with PJ signage.

As far as i know there is nothing wrong with having the "Peter Jackson" signage on the real pictures, however i'm guessing they removed them to stop some wondering when they get it why the real picture had the signage yet the model that has just arrived on their doorstep is blank?

Save yourself the problems and get one of the good looking Cenovis one's
Old 6 May 2008, 16:13 (Ref:2195326)   #22
Senna05
Veteran

Australia
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Senna05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mountainstar, not only that, it SEVERELY reduces resale (if you buy these things in multiple to resell), not that I have.

I was offered $1,400 for my 28C XU1, which was damned tempting... but better thought got me, thankfully!

A Brock A9X will get $400-$800, but only about $200 with the signage on. Also, depends on whether it's decalled, vinyled or airbrushed. The other concern is ruining your model. $180 odd is a high price to pay for a wrecked car.
Old 6 May 2008, 18:50 (Ref:2195414)   #23
F.O.F.
TeaTotal
Racer

Ireland
dublin
F.O.F. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is PC gone mad but does anyone know why exoto models still carry tobacco signage? Something to do with their prices being prohibitively expensive for children?
Old 6 May 2008, 19:36 (Ref:2195450)   #24
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
been like that for decades with F1 cars. I hate the world going PC, but in this instances, I can sort of see both sides. I collected these models as a kid from about 12-13 up wards. Same with Tamiya kits.

If your determined, its not hard to find a Peter Jackson wording and get a sticker made.
Old 6 May 2008, 22:04 (Ref:2195557)   #25
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
R-e-s-p-e-c-t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senna05
Guys, it's life. Sorry, it's how the anti smoking pansie's want it.

You ford guys - stop whining. It'll be ALOT easier to put the PJ decals on than it was for the A9X. The decals don't fit well on the guards, and you need to cut the decals OR the bonnet pins off (I did the bonet pins, and ad them sugically repaired). Even done well, it looks bad up close....

I'm anti smoking, but I got off my rear end when this issue was being legislated to object to the inclusion of models & historic racing cars.

Any of the current group of complainants do anything?

Maybe Biante could organise a petition BUT would people get off their rear ends to be positive...?