Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 15 Sep 2008, 23:46 (Ref:2291371)   #1
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
2009 Fujitsu Development Series (merged)

Interesting to read in MeN yesterday that VESA has allowed the VE Commodore to run in the 2009 Fujitsu series.

Presumably the chassis & body upgrade afforded the Falcon, with the BF aero package, shall also be available to this series, although the article didnt confirm it.

Mr Tander has virtually confirmed that TanderSport shall run a VE next season for Mrs Tander, more likely than not one of the WP fleet.

So what does this do to the competitiveness and potentially resale value of the cars currently in the development series now? You would imagine the people kicking tyres on the number of VZ's for sale may be saving their pennies for the new shape VE instead...

... especially if some of them shall be invited to compete in the main game Phillip Island/Bathurst enduro double as part of that program.
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 16 Sep 2008, 02:15 (Ref:2291408)   #2
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
An interesting situation indeed.

With the opportunity to partake in the enduros next year, what does this do a required budget?

Development Series rounds?
Phillip Island?
Bathurst?
Old 17 Sep 2008, 00:09 (Ref:2292187)   #3
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Disharmony in the camp??

Well, well....news from Ockerville suggests that the stunt of allowing the VE Commodore into the 2009 V8 Supercar Development Series might just be set to go pear-shaped/end in tears/require a press release.

Some factions are saying that allowing the VE into Development is a water-smoothing stunt post the Holden parity adjustment request, whilst others are saying that the series is being set up to allow a female to win for PR mileage.

After a democratic vote of 19 to 4 against allowing the VE into the 2009 Development Series, the "powers that be" have perhaps used a Chinese Democracy to allow the VE in.

Speculation in the Australian Powder Premises says that as many 20 drivers - quite a percentage in anyone's eyes - could be about to depart and join another series that will let them run on a tyre suppled by the ex tyre supplier to V8 Supercars.

The situation doesn't look pretty for the 2009 V8 Supercar Development Series.

In other Development Series news, it seems a bloke with some tractors has had an argument with his son who may have jacked off up to Queensland to do some Morris Dancing in the 2009 V8 Supercar Development Series. Testing may have allegedly commenced a month ago.

This only helps to darken the sentiment of fellow competitors as to how long and who has known about the VE decision.

Allegedly....if it is indeed possible any of this has actually happened
Old 17 Sep 2008, 00:27 (Ref:2292192)   #4
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't think it's a big deal as the VE is now 2 years old and main game teams have moved on to their newer built cars and the first VE's are now ready to pass on. By the start of next season the VZ's will be 3 to 4 years old.
Old 17 Sep 2008, 00:28 (Ref:2292193)   #5
Wood-duck
Racer

Wood-duck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Call me a simpleton, but wouldnt the answer to this problem (for the Ford guys anyway) would be to allow the BA's to upgrade to BF's - since they have such a massive aero advantage ????
Old 17 Sep 2008, 00:35 (Ref:2292194)   #6
Tony C
Racer

Australia
Gold Coast
Tony C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
These criptic threads will have a lot of heads spinning.... I can just hear the questions... what series with what tyres? Who would go there? Who has got tractors? even the jack might not give it away... but in this time of sponsor drying up some people might start suing people for false alegations to prop up the budget.

There cant be too many VE's available for the DVS (but I am sure they can find one for Leanne/Garth to develop her skills! If that happens can we expect to see Mr and Mrs Tander in the same team sometime in the future?
Old 17 Sep 2008, 01:10 (Ref:2292198)   #7
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
WP built 7 VE's last year, and will likely nail 4 together this year... when the customer teams trade up, the older cars need to go somewhere.

Tasman, or more accurately Greg Murphy Racing, has been offering VE's in the development series for 2009 for some time, in the ads in AA... they have one car available.. but as with Mr Bergmuller's 2008 VZ, anything can be built out of anything.

PWR's 2x VE's will likely be on the market at season's end if their 2008 car licence is absorbed by the WP machine for Mr Skaife...

Mr Perkins has one VE spare, with the likelihood of more as new cars are put together for next season.

PMM currently has one spare VE, with other new ones coming on stream, meaning there could be an opportunity to use of these cars.

So there does not appear to be a scarcity of cars... just a mismatch between the prices I would think...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 17 Sep 2008, 05:50 (Ref:2292275)   #8
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
to me it dosn't sound like a big deal, then again i'm not the battling privateer trying to compete.
Old 17 Sep 2008, 06:03 (Ref:2292281)   #9
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
With the VE allowed next year, could this be the last year for the BA areo package as it provides to much downforce compared to the VE Commodore?
Old 17 Sep 2008, 10:19 (Ref:2292414)   #10
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
definatly would be i would say.
Old 17 Sep 2008, 10:56 (Ref:2292444)   #11
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know someone with 2 VZ's and to say they are happy with this descision is a HUGE understatement.
There have apparently been a constant streem of phonecalls to VESA with people complaining about this.
I cant see this issue going away in a hurry.

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 17 Sep 2008, 11:01 (Ref:2292447)   #12
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Trevor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Do It!
Speculation in the Australian Powder Premises says that as many 20 drivers - quite a percentage in anyone's eyes - could be about to depart and join another series that will let them run on a tyre suppled by the ex tyre supplier to V8 Supercars.

The situation doesn't look pretty for the 2009 V8 Supercar Development Series.

Allegedly....if it is indeed possible any of this has actually happened
Maybe they could go to the 2009 AASA National Series
Old 18 Sep 2008, 03:57 (Ref:2292992)   #13
Also a Believer
Veteran

Also a Believer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe the developement series could be run as a B division at 8 Supercar rounds in the same field as the main game....I mean hand pick the longer circuits and give them a go.......VZ vs BF. The 20 defectees will definately have an impact on the value of the series.
Old 18 Sep 2008, 06:46 (Ref:2293021)   #14
Rachel Richards
Racer

Wake Island
In a small house by the sea
Rachel Richards should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
After a conversation with a team owner in the Winton DVS garages (read flooded tents) he mentioned that the feeling among competitors is that there is very little love (or support or $$$) pouring forth out of the big black truck for the DVS in general.

He also mentioned that the disquiet had built over time (in line with the evolution of being "second fiddle" ) that is, not getting their own events, but being support to the main game.

The Wakefield round is still a fave, because they get to be king, but if it goes, and the changes mentioned above are to be believed, a lot of the teams will become very interested in new paddock to play in, especially if they get more of a headline status.

Making most of the cars in the field look (even more) second hand by allowing the newer models is not a customer friendly decision.
(depends who your key customers are; one might surmise)

As soon as Kuhmo get enough wet tyres, the Shannon's series might end up flush with entrants.
Old 18 Sep 2008, 09:38 (Ref:2293093)   #15
CooperS79
Racer

Australia
Wollongong
CooperS79 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I didn't think that the VY/VZ was eligable for the Shannons series? But i guess anything can change for enough money.....
Old 18 Sep 2008, 20:43 (Ref:2293387)   #16
Tony C
Racer

Australia
Gold Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel Richards
After a conversation with a team owner in the Winton DVS garages (read flooded tents) he mentioned that the feeling among competitors is that there is very little love (or support or $$$) pouring forth out of the big black truck for the DVS in general.

He also mentioned that the disquiet had built over time (in line with the evolution of being "second fiddle" ) that is, not getting their own events, but being support to the main game.

The Wakefield round is still a fave, because they get to be king, but if it goes, and the changes mentioned above are to be believed, a lot of the teams will become very interested in new paddock to play in, especially if they get more of a headline status.
Sounds like some people would rather be a big fish in a small pond instead of a little fish in the big pond. If thats the case they need to leave their egos at the door or take their bat and ball and play with someone else.

The DVS was originally intended as a development category for teams and drivers. Somewhere for the drivers to 'have a go' at a slower pace and get experience.

In 'the good old days' someone that wanted a drive at bathurst just turned up with their cheque book, the DVS was to give these weekend warriors (and aspiring stars) somewhere to gain experience. The category serves that purpose well.

Some people think that if they win the DVS championship that they will have team managers knocking at their door.... ummm.... sorry it isnt going to happen.

Drivers aspiring to get into the main game need to learn what is required of them off the track, how to deal with fans, sponsors etc, its not just about the driving. Anyone that wants to just race a V8 supercar can do do that on a modest budget in DVS as long as they accept they are not going to win races or make it to the main game. Those that just want cheap should go and play in another category and leave DVS to drivers that know why they are there.

Sponsors want to be seen at the main game and some realise that DVS is a cost affective way to be in front of the crowds, say they sponsor a V8 supercar, but without the cost of the main game. So again DVS serves its purpose.
Old 18 Sep 2008, 21:21 (Ref:2293410)   #17
JustASupporter
Racer

JustASupporter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well I thought the DVS was where the drivers without the $$$ to buy a drive in the main series competed until they 1) found more $$ or 2) give up on their dreams.

Thanks for clearing that up.
Old 18 Sep 2008, 23:27 (Ref:2293477)   #18
Prickly_Goo
Veteran

Australia
somewhere you arent...
Prickly_Goo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tony C I agree with you there.

Unless they decide to give the DVS a few stand alone rounds ( Wakefield is GREAT) The series is going out grow their current "support" status.

Dont bring the VE in untill 2010, because then the smaller teams that are upgrading to a VY is just gonna have a shell wasted wont they?

oh and one more thing.. Ditch the bloody tents and give them a REAL garage!!
Old 18 Sep 2008, 23:52 (Ref:2293481)   #19
Trev Campbell
Veteran

Trev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTrev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Getting the Mallala round back as a stand alone event would be a good idea as well. There was always a fair sized crowd out there when the DVS was on !!!!
Old 19 Sep 2008, 00:45 (Ref:2293497)   #20
inpitlane
Veteran

inpitlane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CooperS79
I didn't think that the VY/VZ was eligable for the Shannons series? But i guess anything can change for enough money.....
Yes but you l know which side has the money, and I can assure you it's not the Nationals side. Once again egos strike, these guys are the support act and the reason they now run as a support is that they were a failure as a stand alone. They are the understudies not the stars. A good turn out at Mallala or Wakefield is still not the sort of crowd that will excite the Great Mephisto and the Seven Network. Stand alone rounds mean stand alone TV and that's an unjustifiable expense at the moment.
Old 19 Sep 2008, 01:34 (Ref:2293515)   #21
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by inpitlane
Stand alone rounds mean stand alone TV and that's an unjustifiable expense at the moment.
I remember that being quoted as the reason for the disappearance of stand alone rounds.
Old 20 Sep 2008, 03:39 (Ref:2294068)   #22
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
With the VE being similar in length, width and height as the VZ, could the VZ chassis be reskined with a VE body?
Old 20 Sep 2008, 04:41 (Ref:2294080)   #23
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
cobblers ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony C
Sounds like some people would rather be a big fish in a small pond instead of a little fish in the big pond. If thats the case they need to leave their egos at the door or take their bat and ball and play with someone else.

The DVS was originally intended as a development category for teams and drivers. Somewhere for the drivers to 'have a go' at a slower pace and get experience.
In 'the good old days' someone that wanted a drive at bathurst just turned up with their cheque book, the DVS was to give these weekend warriors (and aspiring stars) somewhere to gain experience. The category serves that purpose well.

Some people think that if they win the DVS championship that they will have team managers knocking at their door.... ummm.... sorry it isnt going to happen.

Drivers aspiring to get into the main game need to learn what is required of them off the track, how to deal with fans, sponsors etc, its not just about the driving. Anyone that wants to just race a V8 supercar can do do that on a modest budget in DVS as long as they accept they are not going to win races or make it to the main game. Those that just want cheap should go and play in another category and leave DVS to drivers that know why they are there.

Sponsors want to be seen at the main game and some realise that DVS is a cost affective way to be in front of the crowds, say they sponsor a V8 supercar, but without the cost of the main game. So again DVS serves its purpose.
What a honourable aim Tony!

Just cobblers: a second hand market for the V8SC main game is the only reason for the development series ... dont cop the spin !!
Old 21 Sep 2008, 11:57 (Ref:2294609)   #24
JustASupporter
Racer

JustASupporter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavvy

Just cobblers: a second hand market for the V8SC main game is the only reason for the development series ... dont cop the spin !!
BINGO
Old 22 Sep 2008, 01:15 (Ref:2294854)   #25
Tony C
Racer

Australia
Gold Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavvy

cavvy I dont need to cop the spin, I was involved in V8 supercars when DVS was developed so I know the truth.

Its a pity that there are so many 'experts' standing on the sidelines, if they got off their b.. and did something instead of talking about it we would have fantastic racing in australia.... we would have to have the best because they think they know everything...