Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 15 Dec 2008, 11:39 (Ref:2355118)   #1
spectator22
Racer

spectator22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Turn 8 at Clipsal

mnews tonight says theres an announcement in adelaide tomorrow from clipsal/cams about changing Turn 8 after the fatal accident there this year. Sad as that was, I hope theyre not going to screw up one of the best corners left in racing in australia by putting in a chicane oreven just slowing it down. It would be a great shame
Old 15 Dec 2008, 11:44 (Ref:2355119)   #2
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
so long as it's not plonking a chicane Hamilton style in i'll be happy.
Old 15 Dec 2008, 19:10 (Ref:2355393)   #3
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Trevor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No, they are not having a turn 8, the cars will run from turn 7 to turn 9, there will be no more mention of turn 8 - RIGHT!!!!
Old 15 Dec 2008, 21:20 (Ref:2355500)   #4
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Why don't they just use the old F1GP layout??

Brewery Bend had heaps more space to fall off and the bonus is that the straight becomes twice as long as it is now.
Old 15 Dec 2008, 22:35 (Ref:2355562)   #5
dazza027
Racer

dazza027 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVDA

Brewery Bend had heaps more space to fall off and the bonus is that the straight becomes twice as long as it is now.
I think you will find they wont do that because in effect it moves the danger area down one corner to the hairpin, which doesnt have any run off anymore. I for one am all for the GP track, memories of the GP will come flooding back if they were to do that but I cannot see it happening. TC wont give up prime spectator veiwing for the sake of 100 odd metres of run off.
Old 15 Dec 2008, 23:41 (Ref:2355604)   #6
browney
Racer

Australia
Adelaide, South Australia
browney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVDA

Because the government can't justify that muh disruption and expense for a national only touring car race.
Old 16 Dec 2008, 00:44 (Ref:2355629)   #7
EBXR8
Veteran

Australia
Australia
EBXR8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All they really need to do is make turn 8 a little wider in theory gove the cars a little room to the left if they get crossed up. Its not that quick a corner i Look at the kink at the end of Conrod or El Rouge at Spa in the F1, Yes there is concrete and yes it would not be a light tap but surely why wreck a perfectaly good course. Make turn 8 a little wider to the left let the big boys slide on through.

However in saying this the barriers (tyre bundles) which are used do offer protection but is there not some experimental inflatable ones overseas??? Mabye V8SCA could invest in a "trial" run befor they buy and see what they are like.
Old 16 Dec 2008, 02:25 (Ref:2355680)   #8
JustASupporter
Racer

JustASupporter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://news.smh.com.au/sport/coopers...1216-6zgv.html

Australian motor sport officials have made changes to the Adelaide V8 street circuit following the death of NSW driver Ashley Cooper in this year's race in February.

The Confederation of Australian Motor Sport (CAMS) said changes will be made to reduce speeds at turn eight on the circuit where 27-year-old Cooper crashed into a concrete barrier.

CAMS Chief Executive Graham Fountain said a panel of inquiry had found the design of the circuit and the safety measures used in Cooper's car had not contributed to his crash which was the result of driver error.

But Fountain said to reduce the potential of similar incidents at turn eight the inquiry had recommended the barrier line to be changed to cut speeds to a maximum of 195kph.

Cooper died in hospital after suffering severe head injuries.
Old 16 Dec 2008, 02:29 (Ref:2355681)   #9
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think half the problem is if the drivers get that little bit more runoff they might end up using it every lap, not just in times of making an error, much like turn 7
Old 16 Dec 2008, 03:18 (Ref:2355693)   #10
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
THat was the problem the 1st year of the 500's. It had a heap of run off and the drivers changed the line to suit.

Oh, and the Flaggies got told to stop calling all the wide running car numbers as RC didn't want to know about it.

They narrowed it for the next year and kept fiddling with it until we got last years result.

Last edited by PVDA; 16 Dec 2008 at 03:21.
Old 16 Dec 2008, 03:20 (Ref:2355694)   #11
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Here
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 16 Dec 2008, 03:21 (Ref:2355695)   #12
pplater
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
pplater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpplater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This sucks, I hate it when tracks get neutered like this.
Turn Eight has jouned the Mulsanne and Eau Rouge on the list of once-thrilling track spots now flattened.

I think Vman said it best:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMAG
A track has to be dangerous if it is to be taken seriously.
There are many measures that help drivers maintain a level of safety, but the risk of V8 Supercars is inherent to the sport’s appeal.
It’s like the running of the bulls. Pamplona has horns to keep competitors on their toes, and adelaide has turn 8.
Old 16 Dec 2008, 04:36 (Ref:2355718)   #13
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Immature response to someones death pplater.

I think CAMS got it right. (and yes PVDA, you can quote me)
Old 16 Dec 2008, 05:40 (Ref:2355728)   #14
pplater
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
pplater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpplater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Trev
Immature response to someones death pplater.
It was published before Ashley's death, and I reckon it's on the money. Clipsal loses its fangs without Turn Eight - a track is not worth visiting if it doesn't evoke serious butt-clenching from drivers.
Old 16 Dec 2008, 05:52 (Ref:2355732)   #15
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Are drivers checked before the start of a races that their HANS device is correctly fitted?
Old 16 Dec 2008, 06:23 (Ref:2355738)   #16
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pplater
It was published before Ashley's death, and I reckon it's on the money. Clipsal loses its fangs without Turn Eight - a track is not worth visiting if it doesn't evoke serious butt-clenching from drivers.

a tracks not worth visiting when people die or are dieing in front of your either. Too many bad injuries of late at v8 supercar events. in the last 3 years we have had some very serius injuries when in the prevoius 7 they were very rare
Old 16 Dec 2008, 06:49 (Ref:2355743)   #17
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Trev
I think CAMS got it right. (and yes PVDA, you can quote me)

I actually agree with you Trev & CAMS.

Short of going back to the old F1 layout they had a limited number of cards in the deck to deal to come up with a compromise to keep everyone happy.
Old 16 Dec 2008, 06:55 (Ref:2355745)   #18
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Quote:
Originally Posted by pplater
So, does that make your comments OK does it - I think not.
Old 16 Dec 2008, 07:26 (Ref:2355757)   #19
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
ok, im just relating this to bathurst, because it also has that high speed corner, but with obviusly alot more run off. Is the kink on conrod into the chase also too dangerous? we have seen some big offs in recent years with cars flying across the tack further down the track
Old 16 Dec 2008, 07:47 (Ref:2355767)   #20
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
SA - The Custom Plate State
STEALTHY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was said when clipsal was first announced that they weren't sure the even would draw enough fans to warrant using the larger circuit. I'm sure they've blown the predictions out of the water in that case.

Turn 9 could be modified further to supply more runoff, but how much faster would the cars be on the GP layout, i thought they almost hit the limited on the back straight as it is now, so they'd just be on the limiter for longer.
Old 16 Dec 2008, 08:04 (Ref:2355775)   #21
PhaseIII
Racer

Australia
In a Land Down Under
PhaseIII should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not if they change the allowed diff ratio.
Old 16 Dec 2008, 09:33 (Ref:2355828)   #22
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why the need to change turn 8? Over the years it tested the drivers, yes DRIVERS. Unfourtunately , there was a death last year.

Now, can certain posters please explain to all, how the did a driver die from a left hand impact on a right hand drive car!

Before you go off half cocked, take at least four deep breaths, count to ten and think about it.

Yes over the years we have seen drivers die. The authorities have then held an inquiry, and deduced that it was:
Driver Error,
The track Conditions,
The speed of the cars has increased and the track is now unsafe
The internal safety systems need to improve
etc etc

Just like when we lost a Marshall at the Gp some years back.

So if anyone has a copy of the report, or sat on the inquiry, then post and let us know.

As for me, don't change it, make the track challenging to the driver, and lets see who can really drive.
Old 16 Dec 2008, 10:38 (Ref:2355883)   #23
Birky
Rookie

Australia
Western Australia
Birky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I sure this has already been suggested by would the SAFER barrier as used in (dare I say it) NASCAR solve this problem without changing the corner.

The majority of accidents are turn 8 are sideway 'glances' into the concrete, so using Safer would at least absopt some of the energy from an accident.
Old 16 Dec 2008, 10:42 (Ref:2355887)   #24
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Birky, my understanding from the discusion about this, is that Safer barriers are not buily for temparary walls. there intention is for permament walls.

but that may have changed by now, 6 months latter
Old 16 Dec 2008, 11:08 (Ref:2355916)   #25
Birky
Rookie

Australia
Western Australia
Birky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought it may be something like that, thanks peckstar