Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 30 Nov 2011, 02:37 (Ref:2993280)   #26
TCR
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
TCR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So here's the short video clip of Barton going by as he tries to chase down Alan in the Lambo. I'm doing about 160-170kph when he goes by.....

http://www.youtube.com/user/TeamChap.../6/xFLjk88HBwg
Old 30 Nov 2011, 04:12 (Ref:2993307)   #27
davelise
Racer

Australia
Sydney, Australia
davelise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great result Paul. I saw that move by Bart on the finish line at he was sooooo close to you guys.
Old 30 Nov 2011, 05:10 (Ref:2993321)   #28
TCR
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Thanks Dave.

I don't think he would have wanted to cut it much finer

I'm really enjoying racing in the Prodsports series, but I may have to get myself into another class in future. The closing speeds from Class A to Class E is getting a bit too much for my liking, especially in situations like Saturday qualifying where we had to run an R Spec tyre in the rain and pretty much the rest of the filed is running a full wet weather tyre.

Last edited by TCR; 30 Nov 2011 at 05:37.
Old 30 Nov 2011, 05:16 (Ref:2993325)   #29
Simon S
Racer

England
Simon S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCR View Post
Thanks Dave.

I don't think he would have wanted to cut it much finer

I'm really enjoying racing in the Prodsports series, but I may have to get myself into another class in future. The closing speeds from Class A to Class E is getting a bit too much for my liking, especially in situations like Saturday qualifying where we had to run an R Spec tyre and pretty much the rest of the filed is running a full wet weather tyre.
could not agree more....

mixing GT3 cars and 2F cars on the same grid requires a lot of understanding from all drivers.
Old 30 Nov 2011, 05:21 (Ref:2993327)   #30
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bortall View Post
The tyre wall repairs in progress:
Who/what did this? Outside of turn 1, yes?
Old 30 Nov 2011, 05:48 (Ref:2993336)   #31
bortall
Racer

Australia
West Gippsland
bortall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
#94 Commodore from Improved Production:

Yes - on the outside of turn 1 - I didn't see the actual crash.
Old 30 Nov 2011, 06:36 (Ref:2993345)   #32
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I wasn't there but looks like the mound on the left just prior to Turn 1.
Old 30 Nov 2011, 07:18 (Ref:2993352)   #33
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVDA View Post
I wasn't there but looks like the mound on the left just prior to Turn 1.
Correct. Four wide on the approach to Turn 1.

No prizes for guessing who was on the outside.
Old 1 Dec 2011, 01:04 (Ref:2993748)   #34
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
So here's the short video clip of Barton going by as he tries to chase down Alan in the Lambo. I'm doing about 160-170kph when he goes by.....

WOW!!!.......talk about threading the needle!
Old 1 Dec 2011, 08:23 (Ref:2993834)   #35
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bortall View Post
I wonder how much longer they'll keep 3/4 lifting cars like this??

I've heard of a few examples where car doors that used to work not working after the car being unloaded off the truck.

You've got to remember the weight of the engine is hanging in the breeze by towing the car like that and that puts pressure on the car body in a way it's not designed to.
Old 1 Dec 2011, 08:29 (Ref:2993838)   #36
ff s conscience
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
ff s conscience should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridff s conscience should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridff s conscience should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

I've heard of a few examples where car doors that used to work not working after the car being unloaded off the truck.

You've got to remember the weight of the engine is hanging in the breeze by towing the car like that and that puts pressure on the car body in a way it's not designed to.
HUH??? Are you serious???

Look at it man! It's a foot shorter than it should be, and you're worrying about the door gaps!!!

Old 1 Dec 2011, 23:56 (Ref:2994183)   #37
TCR
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesport View Post
WOW!!!.......talk about threading the needle!
Yeah I know. I would love to see the in car video from his point of view.
Old 2 Dec 2011, 01:32 (Ref:2994203)   #38
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Yeah I know. I would love to see the in car video from his point of view.
TCR, please get a faster car for your own safety.

If you were doing 160-170, how fast was Barton going? It actually gives me a shock every time I watch it, even though I know what's coming........some form of GT simply has to become our premier category.
Old 2 Dec 2011, 01:48 (Ref:2994205)   #39
Scrut
Racer

Australia
Australia
Scrut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Totally agree PVDA.

I have had V8SC team owners complain about the way their cars where loaded for a 3/4 lift. Don't know if any additional damage
was done by lifting in the method, but they where not happy.

I have heard the reason for the 3/4 lift is to get the track cleared
ASAP, and the crews are instructed to do this type of lift in their
breifing.

Any truth to this?
Old 2 Dec 2011, 03:14 (Ref:2994221)   #40
TCR
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Quote:

If you were doing 160-170, how fast was Barton going? It actually gives me a shock every time I watch it, even though I know what's coming........some form of GT simply has to become our premier category.
If I could afford to buy and maintain a "faster car" then I'd already have one, trust me. By my best estimate I reckon Barton is probably doing 220-230kph when he goes by, so that's a substantial difference.

The Class E cars have been competing in the Prodsports since its inception and it's really only been the last 12-18 months where the speed difference between them and the Class A cars has really become an issue. Up until then the Mackies and SS had the cars to beat, but with entries now being accepted from the owners of things like the Daytona Coupe and GT3 cars, we suddenly have cars doing another 5 seconds a lap quicker at some places.

There's been recent discussions regarding the categories future, and I believe they will end up splitting it into two seperate categories for Class A/GT3 cars and Classes B,C,D &E. This makes a lot of sense, but the obvious problem will be finding the track time to run two one hour races.

I'd love nothing more than to see a full grid of GT3/Class A cars in a one hour race, but you need to remember that this is an "amatuer category", and I just hope when it comes to push and shove that the guys who have been supporting the series since day one don't get shafted.
Old 2 Dec 2011, 03:43 (Ref:2994226)   #41
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrut View Post
Totally agree PVDA.

I have had V8SC team owners complain about the way their cars where loaded for a 3/4 lift. Don't know if any additional damage
was done by lifting in the method, but they where not happy.

ASAP,
and the crews are instructed to do this type of lift in their
breifing.

Any truth to this?
It is saving maybe two seconds of time. I'm sorry, but if you have a tight deadline (SC approaching Pit entry maybe) 2 seconds won't make a iota of difference.
Old 2 Dec 2011, 05:20 (Ref:2994245)   #42
Simon S
Racer

England
Quote:

speaking to Angelo, Bart was doing ~280 at the end of the straight, so, I would guess ~250 at that point.

ignoring that one, the speed differential has been a growing problem for a while now, 2F cars in std road tyres are always going to be (relatively) slow, being realistic, it can't be much fun for them having class A cars constantly lapping them, (as much as it's dam scary at times for us in the A cars trying to guess which way the others are going).

Spiting the grid is a great idea, just very concerned if there is the grid numbers to make it stack up, along with getting 2 x 1 hour slot's etc. at a weekend meeting.
Old 2 Dec 2011, 06:44 (Ref:2994254)   #43
Shane001
Racer

Australia
Shane001 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
If I could afford to buy and maintain a "faster car" then I'd already have one, trust me. By my best estimate I reckon Barton is probably doing 220-230kph when he goes by, so that's a substantial difference.

The Class E cars have been competing in the Prodsports since its inception and it's really only been the last 12-18 months where the speed difference between them and the Class A cars has really become an issue. Up until then the Mackies and SS had the cars to beat, but with entries now being accepted from the owners of things like the Daytona Coupe and GT3 cars, we suddenly have cars doing another 5 seconds a lap quicker at some places.

There's been recent discussions regarding the categories future, and I believe they will end up splitting it into two seperate categories for Class A/GT3 cars and Classes B,C,D &E. This makes a lot of sense, but the obvious problem will be finding the track time to run two one hour races.

I'd love nothing more than to see a full grid of GT3/Class A cars in a one hour race, but you need to remember that this is an "amatuer category", and I just hope when it comes to push and shove that the guys who have been supporting the series since day one don't get shafted.

Totally agree. Yes there is talk of changes in the category, and I really hope the guys with money and the attitude (if you can't afford a faster car you should go elsewhere) don't push out the competitors that make this category what it is.

Personally I love racing with the faster cars, but this is an amateur state level based category, and class C, E & F cars should not be sent home because we have a couple of GT3 cars running professional / semi professional drivers and lap times to match.
Old 2 Dec 2011, 08:36 (Ref:2994286)   #44
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrut View Post
ASAP, and the crews are instructed to do this type of lift in their
breifing.
Don't know as I haven't been to a recovery briefing in long time.

Another thing is if it's hanging out the back like that it's likely not secured at the rear either so they have to drive slowly so the car doesn't slip sideways and worse case off the side of the tray.

Any towie worth his salt doesn't move until both the front and rear are securely attached to the tray.
Old 2 Dec 2011, 09:15 (Ref:2994294)   #45
Sheep Stations
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Sheep Stations should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Always enjoyed running with the prod sports, but I doubt I'll do PI again. Closing speeds were too great and some guys who usually showed good blue flag and mirror skills got caught out by the quicker pace of some of the GT cars.

With the chat about splitting the categories, I wouldn't throw the baby out with the bath water. Just reassess at such a fast circuit. Best track in the world and we all want to be there, but the mix of cars just didn't seem to fit this time.
Old 2 Dec 2011, 11:39 (Ref:2994346)   #46
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

That frightened the crap out of me and i'm just sitting here in my study! Did you even see him coming?
Old 2 Dec 2011, 21:49 (Ref:2994566)   #47
TCR
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVID PATERSON View Post
That frightened the crap out of me and i'm just sitting here in my study! Did you even see him coming?
I saw him coming around the last turn onto the front straight, but was a little surprised at just how quick he caught us. Here's the video from inside Angelos car, doesn't look quite as dramatic from his point of view.

http://www.youtube.com/user/GT3CR1#p/a/u/0/tqyFbUj3cYM
Old 2 Dec 2011, 23:06 (Ref:2994589)   #48
Shane001
Racer

Australia
Shane001 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I saw him coming around the last turn onto the front straight, but was a little surprised at just how quick he caught us. Here's the video from inside Angelos car, doesn't look quite as dramatic from his point of view.

http://www.youtube.com/user/GT3CR1#p/a/u/0/tqyFbUj3cYM
Still a pucker moment for sure lol!

Lots a trust in that move!

Someone needs to get the two videos together and create a side by side montage!
Old 3 Dec 2011, 07:53 (Ref:2994680)   #49
Prancing Wombat
Rookie

Prancing Wombat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
What Paul says is quite true. In a quick class A car, we are used to this situation. It happens every lap of the race.
It does require a good deal of TRUST (hope?) that the slower car has, in fact, seen us coming. From then, it's a case of clenching everything that's clenchable, and going for it.
It's all part of life in prodsports racing. It is a way of learning for both parties. But still a big accident in waiting............... especially in qually - where there are 50 cars ALL trying to do their best lap...
Old 4 Dec 2011, 22:24 (Ref:2995229)   #50
Simon S
Racer

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prancing Wombat View Post
What Paul says is quite true. In a quick class A car, we are used to this situation. It happens every lap of the race.
It does require a good deal of TRUST (hope?) that the slower car has, in fact, seen us coming. From then, it's a case of clenching everything that's clenchable, and going for it.
It's all part of life in prodsports racing. It is a way of learning for both parties. But still a big accident in waiting............... especially in qually - where there are 50 cars ALL trying to do their best lap...
and just to illustrate the problem, here is the full 1 hour race video from our perspective: