Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Bike Racing

Old 25 Feb 2013, 23:18 (Ref:3210780)   #51
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani Filth View Post
me?
What, so you dont think the best riders from Moto GP could get signifcantly faster times than the top guys in WSBK? Ok then..

Remember though that last weekends WSBK pole time was only 6 tenths off the Moto GP pole time.
Old 26 Feb 2013, 00:53 (Ref:3210839)   #52
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That was the 1st time Phillip Island had been re-surfaced since 1998...
Old 26 Feb 2013, 08:02 (Ref:3211003)   #53
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Come off it, saleen, you really think MOST tracks are resurfaced every year! You really need to smell the roses fella! If they did that they would all be out of business, do you know how much it costs!

And asphalt is an evolving thing, you dont just lay it and hope for the best! It changes over time. the edges of the stones are really sharp hen it is new, giving more grip, henfe quicker laptimes, then they round off and the groove gets developed, then it wears ot and gets holed, craked etc.

No chance whatsoever that GP bikes are getting caught by WSBK bikes, the riders are better, tyres are better, electronics are better, etc etc etc.

PI has been resurfaced and that would EASILY give a second a lap on the laptimes, if you dont understand that fella then maybe it's you that needs to "come off it" lol
Old 26 Feb 2013, 11:14 (Ref:3211101)   #54
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
Come off it, saleen, you really think MOST tracks are resurfaced every year! You really need to smell the roses fella! If they did that they would all be out of business, do you know how much it costs!

And asphalt is an evolving thing, you dont just lay it and hope for the best! It changes over time. the edges of the stones are really sharp hen it is new, giving more grip, henfe quicker laptimes, then they round off and the groove gets developed, then it wears ot and gets holed, craked etc.

No chance whatsoever that GP bikes are getting caught by WSBK bikes, the riders are better, tyres are better, electronics are better, etc etc etc.

PI has been resurfaced and that would EASILY give a second a lap on the laptimes, if you dont understand that fella then maybe it's you that needs to "come off it" lol
I agree with this comment, but with the season lying ahead with the top 4 being obvious choice before the season starts, WSBK will probably be more exciting to watch.
Old 26 Feb 2013, 12:01 (Ref:3211116)   #55
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
No argument with SBK being good tow atch, its a bit more varied, more teams can win, more bikes and combinations can run up front.

But simply thinking the SBK series has caught up in laptimes because they are closer on a resurfaced track is not quite cricket!
Old 26 Feb 2013, 14:44 (Ref:3211180)   #56
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Where did I say "most tracks" are re surfaced every year? I said "lots" of circuits are re surfaced, not "most" by any stretch of the imagination! I would be willing to bet there is a signifcant number of big GP circuits that undergo re surfacing each year, whether that be the entire track or just sections that need attention. Barcelona and Le Mans for example. Other circuits which dont get as much use all year round will obviously be re surfaced less frequently.

There are different levels of track re surfacing, merely putting on another layer of asphalt and smoothening out surfaces wouldnt cost that much. Heck, Le Mans does that every year.

Phillip Island being re surfaced would "easily" give 1 second a lap? I dont see that as necessarily true, at Barcelona for example re surfacing has only been worth maybe half a second a lap, both with cars and bikes. I say again, tyres are a far bigger contributor to lap times than the track surface.

Anyway im off before people start throwing the "trolling" word around.
Old 26 Feb 2013, 14:57 (Ref:3211185)   #57
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Le Mans is a road! So slightly different I reckon!

Seriously, I don't think as many tracks as you seem to believe get resurfaced, they might get patched up in places but to me a resurface is the entire racing surface changed to something new and that doesn't happen often at all.

You are correct on the point about tyres, but you can't compare like for like here as WSB and GP rarely test at the same place at the same time. They used to, especially PI. Yamaha, Honda and Suzuki quite often tested there as factory teams with both GP and WSB bikes in the 500 days.

Pirelli and Bridgestone are so different, the bikes in GP are designed around the tyres these days, which usually means they are better, the bikes are more powerful, riders are better.

For me if you had Dani, Lorenzo at PI now they would be maybe 1 or 2 seconds a lap quicker than the WSB bikes. And if they were racing, maybe even more.

And don't worry, its not trolling, thats a whole different thing, this is called discussion, nothing more.
Old 26 Feb 2013, 15:17 (Ref:3211192)   #58
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
Quote:
Le Mans is a road! So slightly different I reckon!

Seriously, I don't think as many tracks as you seem to believe get resurfaced, they might get patched up in places but to me a resurface is the entire racing surface changed to something new and that doesn't happen often at all.
Just for the record, I was reffering to the Grand Prix section of Le Mans rather than the public road sections. The Mulsanne straight very rarely gets re surfaced I think, as you can see by the groves left in the road from the trucks that use it every day as the cars are racing.

As for the other stuff, ok let's just agree to disagree. Personally though, for me anything more than say 10 tracks worldwide being re surfaced means "lots" - not including all the smaller national tracks around the world of course, just the big circuits around the world which generally attract the big International series.
Old 26 Feb 2013, 17:29 (Ref:3211236)   #59
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
As a record I just loekd at Brno where the times are very similar, nly tenths in it

Whereas Silverstone its about 3 seconds a lap, Assen 2 seconds a lap etc etc

Depends on weather, heat, etc.

And Le Mans do all that because the track is mainly a road, and to be hoenst its an endurance race, Nordschliefe has about 15 different surfaces! So it doesnt mean a lot,
Old 26 Feb 2013, 17:36 (Ref:3211241)   #60
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghinzani View Post
Is the WSB series highlights going to be on any UK Terrestrial channels? My mate who cant get Sky was asking but I didnt know.
here you go - WSB is on Channel 4!
http://www.channel4.com/programmes/s...d-championship

I looked it up whilst Chunder and Saleen were having a spat.

Btw Saleen how about a Bike race around the Dolphin Centre ?
Old 26 Feb 2013, 18:35 (Ref:3211259)   #61
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
Quote:
And Le Mans do all that because the track is mainly a road, and to be hoenst its an endurance race, Nordschliefe has about 15 different surfaces! So it doesnt mean a lot,
The part of Le Mans that is re surfaced regularly is the bugatti circuit. As i said, the rest of the Le mans 24 hours car circuit isnt re surfaced that much because as u said its public road.
Old 26 Feb 2013, 18:39 (Ref:3211264)   #62
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
[QUOTE=ghinzani;3211241Btw Saleen how about a Bike race around the Dolphin Centre ?[/QUOTE]

A race? Sure, although i prefer 4 wheels to 2. Go to the quay on a tuesdsy night during the summer and im sure they will accomodate you, its like a race track in Poole when they are about.
Old 26 Feb 2013, 18:43 (Ref:3211269)   #63
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALEEN S7R View Post
A race? Sure, although i prefer 4 wheels to 2. Go to the quay on a tuesdsy night during the summer and im sure they will accomodate you, its like a race track in Poole when they are about.
Tell me about it, walking back from the Swimming Pool or the George after lunch is a nightmare already...
Old 1 Mar 2013, 15:19 (Ref:3212765)   #64
cg7aa
Veteran

cg7aa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Gotta say Kenan looked he was on a 650, that Kawasaki was so much faster than Lowes bike.
I sort of agree with what Neil Hodgson was saying that why should Kenan do something else, if he's happy with what he's doing now and probably earning a nice wage doing it but a part of me wants him to try something else, give the big bikes another crack. Is he going to do Supersport forever? I fear Sam may override in an attempt to keep up.

For me, it was nice to see Neukirchner grab some descent results in a long time.

On a sadder note, I did not know about Lascorz being permanently paralysed, came as a bit of a shock to me when I found out last weekend. I really liked the guy. Gutted. What an emotional shock that must be for one so young and who was potentially going places as a bike racer. Randomness of life...
Old 2 Mar 2013, 19:47 (Ref:3213297)   #65
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg7aa View Post
On a sadder note, I did not know about Lascorz being permanently paralysed, came as a bit of a shock to me when I found out last weekend. I really liked the guy. Gutted. What an emotional shock that must be for one so young and who was potentially going places as a bike racer. Randomness of life...
Yes it was a great shame seeing that he wasn't actually racing, he is on the box covering the World Superbikes series on Spanish television this year.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 3 Mar 2013, 00:23 (Ref:3213415)   #66
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Joan did enough while he was racing to prove he was a top level rider, I am not sure whether he would ever have gone on to doinat or win a lot of races, but certainly on aSupersport bike he was as quick as they come.

Not sure if he would have stayed in WSB< I think he was amde for Moto2 personally, as is Sam Lowes, but for some reason they stay!
Old 11 Apr 2013, 10:31 (Ref:3232417)   #67
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Motorland Aragon is on this weekend - been a big break for the riders.

I heard that the Liberty Effenbert Racing team is back on last years Ducati with Mark Aitchison - be interesting to see the pace of that bike compared to the new Duke...
Old 11 Apr 2013, 10:41 (Ref:3232424)   #68
cg7aa
Veteran

cg7aa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomick View Post
Motorland Aragon is on this weekend - been a big break for the riders.

I heard that the Liberty Effenbert Racing team is back on last years Ducati with Mark Aitchison - be interesting to see the pace of that bike compared to the new Duke...
I wonder how long before the rider is sacked and the team disappears from the paddock again. Some of the ongoings with that team was just bizarre last season.
Old 11 Apr 2013, 23:45 (Ref:3232739)   #69
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
It sure was which was wierd considering the bike & riders where quick...
Old 14 Apr 2013, 10:13 (Ref:3233859)   #70
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
Laverty then Sykes retire from the lead with mechanical issues - who wants to lead this race
Old 14 Apr 2013, 12:12 (Ref:3233935)   #71
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Davies ??

Ciao Marco
Old 15 Apr 2013, 01:09 (Ref:3234307)   #72
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
2 wins to Chaz Davies & BMW, but more importantly Marco Melandri is now engaged to that grid girl groupie chick

FIM Superbike Points...

Sylvain Guintoli - 85
Chaz Davies - 63
Eugene Laverty - 45
Marco Melandri - 43
Michele Fabrizio - 42
Tom Sykes - 38
Jules Cluzel - 33
Loris Baz - 31
Jonathan Rea - 30
Leon Haslam - 29

Fabian Foret gets gifted his 16th career win when Sam Lowes breaks down on the final lap - lots of fast Kwaka's in Supersport this year...

FIM Supersport Points...

Fabien Foret - 38
Michael vd Mark - 36
Luca Scassa - 26
Kenan Sofuoglu - 25
Andrea Antonelli - 22
Sam Lowes - 20
Lorenzo Zanetti - 18
Jack Kennedy - 15

** Next round is Assen, April 28...
Old 15 Apr 2013, 22:46 (Ref:3234935)   #73
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
must get SS then .. what happened to Kenan?

Ciao Marco
Old 15 Apr 2013, 23:01 (Ref:3234941)   #74
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
Something about his brakes not working - dunno why he just didnt use other riders to slow him down, he has before
Old 16 Apr 2013, 11:12 (Ref:3235237)   #75
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very poor entry numbers of only 19 at Aragon.... perhaps the new Dorna rules for next year can't come soon enough?

Do something to increase the grids, or at the very least work out how to get all the wildcards back that used to fill out the grids...