Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 20 May 2016, 03:53 (Ref:3643097)   #26
Jam3s
Racer

Jam3s should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Reducing downforce will help, the cars do produce enough dirty air to make it more difficult for the car behind. More dual compound races with a larger performance gap always produces excitement. Apart from those I think it's already one of the more exciting series to watch.
Old 20 May 2016, 03:54 (Ref:3643098)   #27
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
The opportunity to reduce costs whilst maintaining or strengthening the show isn't a bad place to start looking...
None of the suggested things improve the show. They are just things we used to do and people think that things were "better" in the old days.

No we had much more politicking and carry on in the old days, and people were cheating out the wazoo.

We got rid of H-patterns because people would wrong-slot and destroy engines.

The aero in a V8 is not THAT significant in any case. The diff and tyre limits are probably a bigger issue.
Old 20 May 2016, 03:57 (Ref:3643099)   #28
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jam3s View Post
Reducing downforce will help, the cars do produce enough dirty air to make it more difficult for the car behind. More dual compound races with a larger performance gap always produces excitement. Apart from those I think it's already one of the more exciting series to watch.
'Aero wash' seems to be something being used in conversation with the teev bods these days... they have a car in front of them and the windscreen wiper goes flip flop.. because of the car in front of them.. which shows up in car performance as understeer as the splitter doesn't get its fill of air to work as designed...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 20 May 2016, 04:01 (Ref:3643101)   #29
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
The diff and tyre limits are probably a bigger issue.
So... what's the suggestion around these?

The SuperSoft idea would be great if it was designed not to leave chunks of rubber on the road like the current soft tyre does... which limits/restricts overtaking possibilities on the 'dirty' line...

New monsoon wets, and intermediates wouldn't go astray either... imagine a race in the wet that wasn't grip limited...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 20 May 2016, 04:04 (Ref:3643102)   #30
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
The SuperSoft idea would be great if it was designed not to leave chunks of rubber on the road like the current soft tyre does... which limits/restricts overtaking possibilities on the 'dirty' line...
They are soft tyres, so they have more grip but leave more marbles... They are not "designed" to do that. You can't really have it both ways.

Quote:
New monsoon wets, and intermediates wouldn't go astray either... imagine a race in the wet that wasn't grip limited...
It is absolutely not cost-effective to have monsoon wets for the very rare time they would get used.

Intermediates could be done without as much cost but still the inventory requirements are huge.
Old 20 May 2016, 04:25 (Ref:3643105)   #31
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
2 trips per year then
Oh I know, however after this visit this year I may need to give it a break for a couple then come back
I did well in planning a family trip for this one then me heading off to the mountain whilst they head home
Old 20 May 2016, 04:31 (Ref:3643106)   #32
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandgroper View Post
Oh I know, however after this visit this year I may need to give it a break for a couple then come back
I did well in planning a family trip for this one then me heading off to the mountain whilst they head home
I told Mrs Peckstar , it was in the marriage contract.

she countered that clause with "so is having kids"

Still i like the idea of a sprint round at bathurst, even if it was only every 2nd year.
Old 20 May 2016, 05:11 (Ref:3643116)   #33
GROUPA
Racer

GROUPA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
just asking does the latest toyota 86 series meet that last criteria? In my mind yes, but was just after another opinion.

i watched part of an old bathurst sprint round recently, good crowds, much bigger than the other events that are filling the spare weekends

Bathurst sprint round 1996
Yes it does but does not have enough drivers like say Longhurst, Luff, Canto would like to see more pro and retired drivers with the young up and coming

Looking forward to seeing how the 86's go
Old 20 May 2016, 05:18 (Ref:3643119)   #34
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by GROUPA View Post
Yes it does but does not have enough drivers like say Longhurst, Luff, Canto would like to see more pro and retired drivers with the young up and coming

Looking forward to seeing how the 86's go
fair enough, its a series i like the look off, as my daily driver is a competitor to the 86 (interestingly enough I also had a nissan exa)

hopefully will develop to a few more "pro" drivers
Old 20 May 2016, 06:05 (Ref:3643132)   #35
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
I'd love to see V8 Supercars at the Motegi oval. Also, how about Macau?
Motegi Oval, nothing will ever race there again
Macau, too narrow, too much damage for a fly away
Old 20 May 2016, 06:08 (Ref:3643134)   #36
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I really am not that interested in racing where half the field doesn't finish, and you can eat a sandwich in between cars on the track.
At Bathurst these days with only 26-odd cars, you can eat a full meal in between waiting for the leader to come back after the last car in the field has passed....

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
Has it been said in the past that the current "wet tyres" are closer to intermediates, as the tyre needs to be able to work effectively in those conditions?
Old 20 May 2016, 08:57 (Ref:3643165)   #37
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
At Bathurst these days with only 26-odd cars, you can eat a full meal in between waiting for the leader to come back after the last car in the field has passed....
How would you know, when did you last attend the 1000

surely if people want to get there kicks from watching slow cars go by than can just go out the front of their house

Where as people who have paid $100 plus to watch a great race will be glued to the big screen watching the action at the front, instead of watching a car 50 laps down putt by

Last edited by peckstar; 20 May 2016 at 09:03.
Old 20 May 2016, 09:12 (Ref:3643168)   #38
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
How would you know, when did you last attend the 1000

Quote:
Where as people who have paid $100 plus to watch a great race will be glued to the big screen watching the action at the front, instead of watching a car 50 laps down putt by
When i pay to go to a car race i pay to see cars coming past me in the flesh, not to stare at a big screen because the track infront of me in blank due to so few cars on the track (in terms of 26 cars generally clumped together on a 6.2km circuit)
Old 20 May 2016, 09:27 (Ref:3643171)   #39
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:

When i pay to go to a car race i pay to see cars coming past me in the flesh, not to stare at a big screen because the track infront of me in blank due to so few cars on the track (in terms of 26 cars generally clumped together on a 6.2km circuit)
really, then you should know that you cant eat a full meal in the less than two minutes it takes if the car have just finished a safety car and less for the future laps. Heck you would still be in the queue after 3 laps

And clearly you dont pay to see cars coming by you in the flesh all the time, if you went in 2015. And you havent for over ten years. You must be paying for something else just like the biggest crowds bathurst have ever had are also paying for.

Like i said if you want to see slow cars go past, head down to the nearest intersection and watch
Old 20 May 2016, 09:35 (Ref:3643172)   #40
one five five
Veteran

Quote:
really, then you should know that you cant eat a full meal in the less than two minutes it takes if the car have just finished a safety car and less for the future laps.
You need to read the quote i was replying to when i made the "full meal" comment.....
Old 20 May 2016, 10:00 (Ref:3643181)   #41
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
You need to read the quote i was replying to when i made the "full meal" comment.....
sure i did and you can eat a sandwich in that time
Old 20 May 2016, 12:03 (Ref:3643210)   #42
Samwhk
Racer

New Zealand
Samwhk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bigger fields. Have the REC holders at every event, but let anyone with an eligible car race if they can qualify within a certain percentage of the pole time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 20 May 2016, 12:09 (Ref:3643215)   #43
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samwhk View Post
Bigger fields. Have the REC holders at every event, but let anyone with an eligible car race if they can qualify within a certain percentage of the pole time.
Completely unfeasable, who is going to spend all the money and line up commercial partners only to turn around and leave at the start of the weekend.
Old 20 May 2016, 12:14 (Ref:3643217)   #44
Samwhk
Racer

New Zealand
Samwhk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Completely unfeasable, who is going to spend all the money and line up commercial partners only to turn around and leave at the start of the weekend.

So you're saying there are no well run Dunlop series squads with talented drivers that couldn't out qualify Dale Wood or Tim Blanchard?
Old 20 May 2016, 12:15 (Ref:3643218)   #45
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
So you're saying there are no well run Dunlop series squads with talented drivers that couldn't out qualify Dale Wood or Tim Blanchard?
Its possible, but then commercial backers leave the series because they don't get what they paid for.

They tried this in F1 in the 1980's and the amount of teams that folded was EPIC.

Plus seeing some different people wobbling down at the back does NOT improve the show 1 jot.
Old 20 May 2016, 12:34 (Ref:3643226)   #46
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
so why didnt they buy a franchise when they were available?

and why dont they rock up at sandown bathurst and GC
Old 20 May 2016, 13:08 (Ref:3643239)   #47
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
26 REC holders are locked in, anyone else who wants a try at it and can be quick enough should be able to attempt, maximum of 34 starters for a standard round...if you're past 107% or after 34th, you go home. Kinda like how NASCAR had their setup a few years ago.

H-Patterns, yes please.

Night racing, yes please. Yes it's lit up like daytime, but you still see the glowing brake rotors, and sparks flying in a way you don't during the day.

Bring back the Dash for Cash.

Random reverse grid, 60km third race added to Sprint Weekends, soft tire only.

Take the results of the second race, apply a random draw for how many spots are reversed, and put a large sum of money on the line.

Every series should use the LED position panels like IMSA and Indycar do just for it's usefulness when at the track.

Last edited by Matt; 20 May 2016 at 13:15.
Old 21 May 2016, 08:02 (Ref:3643384)   #48
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
if you're past 107% or after 34th, you go home. Kinda like how NASCAR had their setup a few years ago.
Keep repeating it, but you're still not listening, it is commercial suicide.

Quote:
H-Patterns, yes please.
Give me one good reason why? Road cars barely even have them anymore.

Quote:
Night racing, yes please. Yes it's lit up like daytime, but you still see the glowing brake rotors, and sparks flying in a way you don't during the day.
It isn't cost-effective or feasable in most places given current legislative requirements.

Quote:
Bring back the Dash for Cash. Random reverse grid, 60km third race added to Sprint Weekends, soft tire only. Take the results of the second race, apply a random draw for how many spots are reversed, and put a large sum of money on the line.
We've had it before, and the crash bill isn't paid for by any large sum of money you choose. All the perennial bottom dwellers will cause a million dollar bill if you ran this for a season.

Again, just because we enjoyed it in the past doesn't mean its a good idea.

Should we make everyone drive the trucks up on flatbeds and make them go steal an engine from the carpark if they blow an engine?

I definitely think someone should throw cherry ripes out of their race car.
Old 21 May 2016, 08:15 (Ref:3643386)   #49
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
All i really want is more data on the screen during qualyfying and even during races, but especially qualyfying
Old 21 May 2016, 08:48 (Ref:3643387)   #50
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
and i reckon we need more points for the top 3 to increase the fight for a podium