Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 29 Aug 2017, 12:21 (Ref:3762601)   #2826
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just looked on local Huddersfield website and found out a man had fallen from the bridge and died. Feel so bad about making a fuss over losing an hour or so out of my life. This will teach me to check facts in the future.
RIP that man.
Old 29 Aug 2017, 12:52 (Ref:3762610)   #2827
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
First of many photos from yesterday, but thought I would share this one of our own delta heading down The Avenue into the late afternoon sunshine before his early demise.
https://flic.kr/p/Yd3MN4
Old 29 Aug 2017, 13:07 (Ref:3762614)   #2828
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post

Fantastic sight, but much less steam and smoke than was expecting! Definitely worth a delayed supper.
Yes, that's all the new emissions features they had to build into it, being a modern engine and all that. It has a combination of cats, and adblue injection into the smoke stack. The most innovative thing is the ECU controlled injection of steam into the cylinders, one problem they had was building a rolling road big enough to map it.
Old 29 Aug 2017, 14:25 (Ref:3762630)   #2829
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
Yes, that's all the new emissions features they had to build into it, being a modern engine and all that. It has a combination of cats, and adblue injection into the smoke stack. The most innovative thing is the ECU controlled injection of steam into the cylinders, one problem they had was building a rolling road big enough to map it.
Why do I think you jest?
Old 29 Aug 2017, 14:44 (Ref:3762631)   #2830
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwh43scale View Post
First of many photos from yesterday, but thought I would share this one of our own delta heading down The Avenue into the late afternoon sunshine before his early demise.
https://flic.kr/p/Yd3MN4
Thanks David, lovely picture. We are not too disappointed as the whole idea of Oulton was to get the car ready for Estoril..BTW when are you coming back to Spa.
Old 29 Aug 2017, 14:55 (Ref:3762640)   #2831
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thank you. Now you mention Spa ... possibly next year. We really enjoyed the Six Hours and definitely want to come back (did the 24 Hours there this year for the first time).

This year we are off to the US after the Revival for a holiday including IRL at Sears Point and IMSA at Laguna Seca ... Fair to say that Mrs H is a wonderful woman !
Old 29 Aug 2017, 15:39 (Ref:3762655)   #2832
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Managed to get through the whole Gold Cup meeting this weekend without any visits to our Official friends . It's was nice to catch up with Richard and meet his lovely wife and also Malcombe and Mrs . We got home in 3 hours 30 min . Best drive I had all weekend .

A lot quicker than we got home!

Mind you after meeting my customer we did also meet up with Blanche's eldest son and his partner for a meal, and then stop off on the way home at my old car club's pub gathering, the few of us who still attend So got home just after midnight..........a good day, apart from the aforementioned 50mph stretches on the motorway, which in light traffic and when no work is underway, just boils my p***
Old 29 Aug 2017, 16:57 (Ref:3762690)   #2833
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Just had my post race meeting bike ride home . There is a mega steep hill that I go up when I feel fit enough . Always like the time to reflect on a race meeting the day after . When things go wrong I tend to think ******** to motor racing I've had enough . The day after you reflect and take the positives from the weekend and start to look forward to the next meeting . Another pint anyone. 😀😀😀
Old 29 Aug 2017, 18:21 (Ref:3762717)   #2834
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
So is the hill before or after the pub stop?

Strange that when I watch Tour de France or (at the moment) the Vuelta, they don't seem to stop for beer during the ride...... Maybe they make up for it at the end of the day.
Old 29 Aug 2017, 19:01 (Ref:3762733)   #2835
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
So is the hill before or after the pub stop?

Strange that when I watch Tour de France or (at the moment) the Vuelta, they don't seem to stop for beer during the ride...... Maybe they make up for it at the end of the day.
Mike, did you see your steam train on Look East this evening?
Old 29 Aug 2017, 19:21 (Ref:3762738)   #2836
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Mike, did you see your steam train on Look East this evening?
Yes, some good shots. Lovely weather as well. Highest price ticket was £230 from memory! Glad to hear that there was no problem with trespassers on the line this trip. Even at the footpath rail crossing out in the sticks I watched from there were about a dozen people, so would think station platforms were busy.....

Not sure I like the Tornado described as a 'replica' though, surely more a 'continuation'?
Old 29 Aug 2017, 19:28 (Ref:3762743)   #2837
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Yes, some good shots. Lovely weather as well. Highest price ticket was £230 from memory! Glad to hear that there was no problem with trespassers on the line this trip. Even at the footpath rail crossing out in the sticks I watched from there were about a dozen people, so would think station platforms were busy.....

Not sure I like the Tornado described as a 'replica' though, surely more a 'continuation'?
I heard them say none of the originals exist - has it got an original chassis plate, making it a 'restoration'?

Surely Mr Kitson was lurking out there somewhere with his video camera?
Old 29 Aug 2017, 21:02 (Ref:3762764)   #2838
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Getting back to "proper" cars and not iron horses I have watched this video loads of times to remind me of what it was like when I first started going to watch saloon cars.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ebdtu9Jar7w
Most of you would no doubt have seen it but if you haven't please do !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 29 Aug 2017, 23:36 (Ref:3762798)   #2839
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
Is that Pete Bevan in the A40 around the 12 min 35 sec mark, Gordon?
Old 30 Aug 2017, 11:27 (Ref:3762897)   #2840
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:

I didn't think it was a replica, I was under the impression it was a completely new design, what's it copied from?
Edited, just found out it's a Peppercorn A1. Does it have FIA papers or is it relegated to CSCC

Last edited by Tim Falce; 30 Aug 2017 at 11:40.
Old 30 Aug 2017, 12:23 (Ref:3762907)   #2841
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
I didn't think it was a replica, I was under the impression it was a completely new design, what's it copied from?
Edited, just found out it's a Peppercorn A1. Does it have FIA papers or is it relegated to CSCC

It's a new 'Peppercorn', as you say, so not a replica of one.....

HTP applied for.....
Old 30 Aug 2017, 14:31 (Ref:3762939)   #2842
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Mention was made on here recently that the Battle of Britain Memorial flight had been grounded because of an unspecified problem.

The BBC has revealed today that the cause has been identified, and that the aircraft will be taking to the skies shortly. The following is quoted from the BBC news website:

Quote:
An issue with a pinion gear, part of the drive train that transmits power from the engine to the propeller, was identified this week.
Old 30 Aug 2017, 14:38 (Ref:3762946)   #2843
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Mention was made on here recently that the Battle of Britain Memorial flight had been grounded because of an unspecified problem.

The BBC has revealed today that the cause has been identified, and that the aircraft will be taking to the skies shortly. The following is quoted from the BBC news website:
Thanks Mike. I saw from afar what I thought was the BoBMF fly over our village on Sunday, but thought it wasn't flying at the moment. I don't know what these were (two small & single engine, one bigger with more than one engine), they were a long way away...
Old 30 Aug 2017, 14:57 (Ref:3762958)   #2844
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post

The BBC has revealed today that the cause has been identified, and that the aircraft will be taking to the skies shortly.
Thanks Mike, good news. Beastly little pinion.......
Old 30 Aug 2017, 16:00 (Ref:3762970)   #2845
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Getting back to "proper" cars and not iron horses I have watched this video loads of times to remind me of what it was like when I first started going to watch saloon cars.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ebdtu9Jar7w
Most of you would no doubt have seen it but if you haven't please do !
Thanks for that - have seen it before but always worth another watch. I note that Gentleman Jack Sear's Galaxy, as well as others from his collection, is up for auction currently......
Old 30 Aug 2017, 16:11 (Ref:3762974)   #2846
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Thanks for that - have seen it before but always worth another watch. I note that Gentleman Jack Sear's Galaxy, as well as others from his collection, is up for auction currently......
Yes, see the Goody thread......

Question- I wonder why the 1960s saloon was a 'GALAXIE' rather than 'GALAXY'? The modern people carrier thingy was/is the latter spelling....
Old 30 Aug 2017, 16:18 (Ref:3762978)   #2847
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
From a Google search

The name Galaxie originated from "La Galaxie" which was used on a concept car built in the Edsel building. Galaxie - French spelling.
Old 30 Aug 2017, 16:27 (Ref:3762982)   #2848
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
Quote:
Thanks Mike, good news. Beastly little pinion.......
Probably cheap Chinese rubbish copy.
Old 30 Aug 2017, 17:32 (Ref:3762992)   #2849
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
Is that Pete Bevan in the A40 around the 12 min 35 sec mark, Gordon?
I have sent Pete a PM but he hasn't come back yet, probably too technical for the old boy
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 30 Aug 2017, 18:06 (Ref:3762996)   #2850
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
From a Google search

The name Galaxie originated from "La Galaxie" which was used on a concept car built in the Edsel building. Galaxie - French spelling.
You are the proverbial fount of all knowledge, Sir!

Well, you and Google.....