Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 29 Nov 2011, 09:55 (Ref:2992859)   #101
Driver TBA
Veteran

Driver TBA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Want a photo of Murray Carter's old rig?
I drive past the thing alomst everyday on Bay Rd Cheltenham. It's been kept there for well over 10 years.
Old 29 Nov 2011, 20:00 (Ref:2993123)   #102
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver TBA View Post
Want a photo of Murray Carter's old rig?
I drive past the thing alomst everyday on Bay Rd Cheltenham. It's been kept there for well over 10 years.
Is it still purple with pink stripes aboard? All pics gratefully received
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 29 Nov 2011, 21:47 (Ref:2993185)   #103
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Was the Leeton Motors converted Bedford Bus (circa 64/65?) the first dedicated multicar transporterin Australia?
It was painted in a sort of dirty cream colour with black stripes and had a pair of enourmous bulbous doors on the back to cover the overhanging tail of the rear car. It was used to transport the teams Lotus XV and the Dtype.
My run in with it was when it dropped the rear uni of the front tailshaft just below the top of the range at Murrurundi taking out the brake lines as it flailed around. Can't remember the name of the guy driving but he did a magnificent job, no drive, no brakes to stop it rolling back down the hill or over the side. We picked it up with the Blitz and let it down into town. Only spare tailshaft available was in Tamworth, so to save time the D Type was unloaded and off to Tamworth to collect the shaft. Quickest parts delivery vehicle ever? One advantage of the days when to qualify as a sports car for racing the car had to be road registered.
Anyone have a photo of what must have been the ugliest tail end of a transporter ever?
Old 30 Nov 2011, 03:43 (Ref:2993297)   #104
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The Current V8Supercar Fleet
Old 30 Nov 2011, 04:46 (Ref:2993312)   #105
JC Ohope
Racer

New Zealand
Wellington
JC Ohope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJC Ohope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Congratulations to FPR for winning the 2011 award for most boring transporters.... damn they look plain
Old 30 Nov 2011, 04:57 (Ref:2993318)   #106
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....

Larko's Mitre 10, and later ICS & Orrcon rig always looked immaculate...
Old 30 Nov 2011, 05:46 (Ref:2993335)   #107
Rob Bailey
Veteran

Rob Bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob Bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Is it still purple with pink stripes aboard? All pics gratefully received
Yes it is just sitting there.
Old 30 Nov 2011, 05:49 (Ref:2993337)   #108
Rob Bailey
Veteran

Rob Bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob Bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtony View Post
Was the Leeton Motors converted Bedford Bus (circa 64/65?) the first dedicated multicar transporterin Australia?
It was painted in a sort of dirty cream colour with black stripes and had a pair of enourmous bulbous doors on the back to cover the overhanging tail of the rear car. It was used to transport the teams Lotus XV and the Dtype.
My run in with it was when it dropped the rear uni of the front tailshaft just below the top of the range at Murrurundi taking out the brake lines as it flailed around. Can't remember the name of the guy driving but he did a magnificent job, no drive, no brakes to stop it rolling back down the hill or over the side. We picked it up with the Blitz and let it down into town. Only spare tailshaft available was in Tamworth, so to save time the D Type was unloaded and off to Tamworth to collect the shaft. Quickest parts delivery vehicle ever? One advantage of the days when to qualify as a sports car for racing the car had to be road registered.
Anyone have a photo of what must have been the ugliest tail end of a transporter ever?
I would think Bib Stillwells Beford 2 car transporter would have been one of the 1st.
Old 30 Nov 2011, 06:31 (Ref:2993344)   #109
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Bailey View Post
I would think Bib Stillwells Beford 2 car transporter would have been one of the 1st.
This one Rob?

http://members.optusnet.com.au/dands...65gallery.html
Old 30 Nov 2011, 07:56 (Ref:2993358)   #110
Rob Bailey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavvy View Post
Thats the one.As a matter of interest the Brabham BT11 in the back,was racing at Eastern Creek last weekend.
Old 30 Nov 2011, 08:13 (Ref:2993362)   #111
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
As I recal the Leeton tailshaft incident was on the way back from the Tourist Trophy at Lowood which would make it 1963.
Old 30 Nov 2011, 08:56 (Ref:2993374)   #112
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
By the way it was as I recall a KA Bedford ex school bus. Probably a reject or retirement from Paddy Lowe's fleet.
Did have some creature comforts once the cars were unloaded but compared to modern rigs it was a very tedious mode of transport.
Iguess it would have been almost a dead heat with the Bib Stillwell rig for the first,
By the way Sir Mal, (David Mackay) had a magnificent trailer for the Aston DB3S but when he graduated to the LM250 Ferrari he actually used to drive the thing to meetings in Queensland. We were one of the few country sites that used to stock Methyl Benzine so he stopped to refuel anytime he was taking it to Queensland. Awesome road car!!!!!

Last edited by Oldtony; 30 Nov 2011 at 09:02.
Old 30 Nov 2011, 09:15 (Ref:2993378)   #113
Rob Bailey
Veteran

Quote:
By the way it was as I recall a KA Bedford ex school bus. Probably a reject or retirement from Paddy Lowe's fleet.
Did have some creature comforts once the cars were unloaded but compared to modern rigs it was a very tedious mode of transport.
Iguess it would have been almost a dead heat with the Bib Stillwell rig for the first,
By the way Sir Mal, (David Mackay) had a magnificent trailer for the Aston DB3S but when he graduated to the LM250 Ferrari he actually used to drive the thing to meetings in Queensland. We were one of the few country sites that used to stock Methyl Benzine so he stopped to refuel anytime he was taking it to Queensland. Awesome road car!!!!!
Any photos of the 250 LM?
Old 30 Nov 2011, 09:45 (Ref:2993390)   #114
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Sorry Rob. We are talking about the days when photography was a tedious business. At that stage of life I think I had a box Brownie to take away on the holidays I never seemed to get.
Old 30 Nov 2011, 10:45 (Ref:2993422)   #115
Rob Bailey
Veteran

Quote:
Sorry Rob. We are talking about the days when photography was a tedious business. At that stage of life I think I had a box Brownie to take away on the holidays I never seemed to get.
pity,the carbi group of V12 Ferrari owners in Australia,every 18 months have a David Mckay rally,next year 5 days touring Tasmania.
Old 30 Nov 2011, 11:21 (Ref:2993434)   #116
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Good to hear that he is being remembered. Probably the first "professional" in motor sport in Australia. Up to then drivers had always been either motor dealers or had "independent means". David started out as a motoring journalist/race driver and went on to establish Scuderia Veloce later on. Tended to be treated as a bit of a snob, not one of the boys in those days but underneath I always found him to be a good bloke in the occaisional dealings I had with him.
At that stage the only way you could get a high enough octane for the Ferrari was by adding Methyl Benzine as a 1/4 ratio (unless you could source Avgas) which Shell supplied. Trouble with the stuff was it was also a very effective paint stripper so filling the LM250 was a very cautious excercise surrounded by a plastic sheet and copious layers of rags.
I think this is getting a bit off topic. If anyone does remember the Leeton Bedford it would interesting to hear about it.
Old 1 Dec 2011, 03:56 (Ref:2993807)   #117
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....

Larko's racing team always had that 'integrated' look... even the transporter...
Old 1 Dec 2011, 04:13 (Ref:2993786)   #118
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....

Nissan Motorsports..
Old 1 Dec 2011, 04:16 (Ref:2993787)   #119
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....

Graham Moore's ex-HDT Commodore team at Bathurst 1987..
Old 1 Dec 2011, 11:30 (Ref:2993916)   #120
Forda
Veteran

Forda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mobil Team Transporters
Brought in from this thread

Old 6 Dec 2011, 03:43 (Ref:2995848)   #121
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Larko's racing team always had that 'integrated' look... even the transporter...
The signwriter did a pretty good job back then

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 9 Dec 2011, 06:45 (Ref:2997397)   #122
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Old 9 Dec 2011, 06:47 (Ref:2997398)   #123
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Old 9 Dec 2011, 08:42 (Ref:2997419)   #124
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Old 10 Dec 2011, 06:21 (Ref:2997895)   #125
Rob Bailey
Veteran

Quote:
Little Dinos company of F/chat.