Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

View Poll Results: Which driver is going to win the VASC Driver’s Championship In 2018?
#1 Jamie Whincup RBHRT Holden 6 14.63%
#2 Scott Pye WAU Holden 1 2.44%
#5 Mark Winterbottom Tickford Ford 0 0%
#6 Cameron Waters Tickford Ford 1 2.44%
#7 Andre Heimgartner NisMoAu Nissan 0 0%
#8 Nick Percat BJR Holden 0 0%
#9 David Reynolds Erebus Holden 1 2.44%
#12 Fabian Coulthard DJRTP Ford 1 2.44%
#14 Tim Slade BJR Holden 0 0%
#15 Rick Kelly NisMoAu Nissan 0 0%
#17 Scott McLaughlin DJRTP Ford 22 53.66%
#18 Lee Holdsworth Team18 Holden 0 0%
#19 Jack Le Brocq Tekno Holden 0 0%
#21 Tim Blanchard TBR Holden 0 0%
#23 Michael Caruso NisMoAu Nissan 0 0%
#25 James Courtney WAU Holden 1 2.44%
#33 Garth Tander GRM Holden 0 0%
#34 James Golding GRM Holden 0 0%
#35 Todd Hazelwood MSR Ford 0 0%
#55 Chaz Mostert Tickford Ford 4 9.76%
#56 Richie Stanaway Tickford Ford 1 2.44%
#78 Simona de Silvestro NisMoAu Nissan 0 0%
#97 Shane van Gisbergen RBHRT Holden 2 4.88%
#99 Anton de Pasquale Erebus Holden 1 2.44%
#230 Will Davison 23RED Ford 0 0%
#888 Craig Lowndes ALR Holden 0 0%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 13 Jul 2017, 00:54 (Ref:3750837)   #526
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That dude was exciting to watch for someone with so little experience in the category.

Can I wish for Tekno to take over LDM and put Richie in a properly funded 888 car?

I know, I'm dreamin'
Old 13 Jul 2017, 00:57 (Ref:3750838)   #527
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
That dude was exciting to watch for someone with so little experience in the category.

Can I wish for Tekno to take over LDM and put Richie in a properly funded 888 car?

I know, I'm dreamin'
4th PRA car was thrown around in the article, maybe JB stepping down and running the team with Stanaway as driver
Old 13 Jul 2017, 01:36 (Ref:3750843)   #528
ford71
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
ford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would love to see Bright hand over the keys to Stanaway but Brighty doesn't sound like he is ready to stop driving just yet.....maybe 2019?

Stanaway at Sandown in the wet was very memorable
Old 13 Jul 2017, 02:14 (Ref:3750846)   #529
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
4th PRA car was thrown around in the article, maybe JB stepping down and running the team with Stanaway as driver
Hope so! That would be a good deal all round.
Old 13 Jul 2017, 03:10 (Ref:3750847)   #530
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Bright's situation (and Todd Kelly's) is what we were told wouldn't happen with the franchise system.

I remember the likes of Crompton bemoaning that old drivers hang around way past their use-by date and don't give younger drivers a fair go. That performance and not dollars or ownership would determine who gets a drive.

Unfortunately this has proved not be the case.

It is certainly a black mark on our sport that drivers can own RECs. In any other sport Bright and Kelly would have been shown the door a long time ago.

p.s. Both were very good drivers in their day.
Old 13 Jul 2017, 03:22 (Ref:3750848)   #531
WatchingOn
Rookie

WatchingOn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
So... will Mr Moffat stay st GRM next season? Mr Rogers came out in the press recently to suggest it is a possibility, however other noise has the team looking at some younger talent currently in the Super2 series. And no, not currently in any of the cars he has run there.
You would think he would be looking inside his stable as he has James Golding waiting in the wings and 2 cars in the Super2 Series
Old 13 Jul 2017, 04:14 (Ref:3750850)   #532
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
I remember the likes of Crompton bemoaning that old drivers hang around way past their use-by date and don't give younger drivers a fair go. That performance and not dollars or ownership would determine who gets a drive.
Mate you've undone your argument just with one word.

Ownership really means nothing, but these old guys are safe hands and commercially that makes sense. So companies will pay money for these guys to race and represent them. Both of them are Bathurst winners who still have fans in the sport.

Companies use these relationships to enhance their business to business transactions at the track, so the on-track performance of a driver isn't necessarily the main point.

Clearly there is some talent around but it is hardly reasonable to say these 2 old hands are keeping youngsters out of the sport. Commercial reality dictates that sponsorship is tight, and not many people necessarily want to go for an unknown quantity.
Old 13 Jul 2017, 06:13 (Ref:3750854)   #533
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchingOn View Post
You would think he would be looking inside his stable as he has James Golding waiting in the wings and 2 cars in the Super2 Series
But Golding can't even win the title in Super2... So far not good enough for Supercars series.
Old 13 Jul 2017, 06:23 (Ref:3750856)   #534
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
Not sure what decent seats are available next year, as many drivers signed multi-year contracts at the start of this season.
There are a few slots with pilots out of deal at season's end:
- 3 LDM
- 6 Prodrive
- 14 BJR
- 19 Tekno
- 21 TBR
- 34 GRM
- 56 Britek
- 62 LDM

They all might stay where they are.. likely not..
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 13 Jul 2017, 06:47 (Ref:3750859)   #535
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
- 3 LDM
- 6 Prodrive
- 14 BJR
- 19 Tekno
- 21 TBR
- 34 GRM
- 56 Britek
- 62 LDM

my understanding is the 56 is a 2 year contract, there are no performance clauses.
Old 13 Jul 2017, 08:28 (Ref:3750869)   #536
WatchingOn
Rookie

WatchingOn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
But Golding can't even win the title in Super2... So far not good enough for Supercars series.
Didn't he end up coming 3rd or 4th last year albeit he is not racing in the series this year but still doing the enduro drive

Many drivers haven't won the development series title but still have gone on to be very good drivers in the main game

Would like to see an influx of talented young drivers coming through, seemed to be the norm years ago
Old 13 Jul 2017, 09:32 (Ref:3750878)   #537
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
Mate you've undone your argument just with one word.

Ownership really means nothing, but these old guys are safe hands and commercially that makes sense. So companies will pay money for these guys to race and represent them. Both of them are Bathurst winners who still have fans in the sport.

Companies use these relationships to enhance their business to business transactions at the track, so the on-track performance of a driver isn't necessarily the main point.

Clearly there is some talent around but it is hardly reasonable to say these 2 old hands are keeping youngsters out of the sport. Commercial reality dictates that sponsorship is tight, and not many people necessarily want to go for an unknown quantity.
It ain't my argument, it's the argument that was put forward in the early nineties. A cheaper formula would reduce the barriers of entry to younger drivers and create some turn over in the market.

I agree Bright and Toddler are "safe" hands. I can't see them ever winning a race again, but there are some young guys that just might.

And as soon as I hear "on track performance of a driver isn't necessarily the main point" I could cry.

You're are right of course, but shouldn't the whole point of the exercise be to win?
Old 13 Jul 2017, 10:20 (Ref:3750887)   #538
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
my understanding is the 56 is a 2 year contract, there are no performance clauses.
That might be a 2 year loan/lease of the REC, and the attachment of Mega to that ride. The driver's thing needs another look by the team..
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 13 Jul 2017, 10:22 (Ref:3750889)   #539
mceci1
Veteran

Australia
mceci1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeman444 View Post
PRA wanted to keep Dave but there was no sponsor coverage, with Waters banging on the door and Monster $$ waiting. Reynolds wasnt "given up".
I know otherwise. He was supposed to have the drive alongside Cam, sponsorship was sorted around Bathurst (after the wagon comment) and liveries were being worked on, pretty sure if I remember it was hogs breath, however PRA went back on it and left him out, despite almost having a contract done, post Bathurst, so the comment, while was bad was blown out of proportion by the media. Knowing someone who works on Frosty's car there were a lot of unhappy mechanics over the fact that Dave was ditched by the likes of Edwards, Nash and French. I like Rod and Rusty, Tim is a little bit of an in between, sometimes he is likeable, other times he isn't. Reynolds was a big asset to the success of PRA I feel in 2015 combined with Chaz's engineering combination, Frosty and Dave's experience. Combined with Chaz, Cam, Frosty and Dave PRA could have been a seriously strong threat to Triple 8. Funding wasn't an issue last year so I don't know why there was a form fail, even this year hasn't been great
Old 13 Jul 2017, 10:27 (Ref:3750890)   #540
mceci1
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
- 3 LDM
- 6 Prodrive
- 14 BJR
- 19 Tekno
- 21 TBR
- 34 GRM
- 56 Britek
- 62 LDM

I'd say we will see Cam and Tim stay at their respective teams, Blanchard I'd say may step away for M. Jones or Hazlewood (hopefully Hazlewood as he is ready, I don't think Macauley is just yet). Will would most likely be looking to move wouldn't he, been wearing Tekno clothes too long. On a serious note though I think he'll stay. Moffat to stay at GRM and not sure about LDM.
Old 13 Jul 2017, 10:32 (Ref:3750892)   #541
mceci1
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
Bright's situation (and Todd Kelly's) is what we were told wouldn't happen with the franchise system.

Unfortunately this has proved not be the case.

It is certainly a black mark on our sport that drivers can own RECs. In any other sport Bright and Kelly would have been shown the door a long time ago.

p.s. Both were very good drivers in their day.
Yes the younger drivers should get a go but who is ready yet, I can think of probably 2 drivers worthy of promotion next year, Le Brocq and Hazlewood. As for the others I think they need more time and in the next few years as older leave the young will come. If you had asked me last year who is ready I would have said Le Brocq and Jacobson, (who I forgot is probably ready too). There is a bit of talent I can see in Davies, Jones, Le Brocq, Hazlewood, Jacobson and then A. Jones and Dumbrell as the benchmark, until you can beat them consistently, over maybe even 2 odd years you aren't really ready, I think Jacobson made the right call in doing what he did, otherwise he would have been a story of Pither and Heimgartner, wasted talent
Old 13 Jul 2017, 11:15 (Ref:3750897)   #542
T-star
Racer

T-star should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mceci you say the deal at PRA was done to have both Cam and Dave...but they only had 3 franchises and you say that Frosty and Chaz should stay also.

The 4th franchise was Superblack.

As for the rest of your points...

Look. I've been banned twice recently for a week each time for telling the truth.

So I'm just going to say that I feel you are quite wide of the mark on almost everything you type.
Old 13 Jul 2017, 11:19 (Ref:3750898)   #543
PS2244
Veteran

Australia
Newcastle, NSW
PS2244 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mceci1 View Post
I know otherwise. He was supposed to have the drive alongside Cam, sponsorship was sorted around Bathurst (after the wagon comment) and liveries were being worked on, pretty sure if I remember it was hogs breath, however PRA went back on it and left him out, despite almost having a contract done, post Bathurst, so the comment, while was bad was blown out of proportion by the media. Knowing someone who works on Frosty's car there were a lot of unhappy mechanics over the fact that Dave was ditched by the likes of Edwards, Nash and French. I like Rod and Rusty, Tim is a little bit of an in between, sometimes he is likeable, other times he isn't. Reynolds was a big asset to the success of PRA I feel in 2015 combined with Chaz's engineering combination, Frosty and Dave's experience. Combined with Chaz, Cam, Frosty and Dave PRA could have been a seriously strong threat to Triple 8. Funding wasn't an issue last year so I don't know why there was a form fail, even this year hasn't been great
No offence but may I ask how they planned to retain Reynolds whilst promoting Cam simultaneously if a team is only permitted to have 4 franchises and one of them was the customer deal for Super Black Racing which was already locked in?
Old 13 Jul 2017, 11:22 (Ref:3750899)   #544
mceci1
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS2244 View Post
No offence but may I ask how they planned to retain Reynolds whilst promoting Cam simultaneously if a team is only permitted to have 4 franchises and one of them was the customer deal for Super Black Racing?
That right there is how. It was a deal with Superblack. Super Black in Tony Lentino I am sure spoke to Dave about doing it. Someone else here it was I think who also happens to know Super Black management said it never happened though as it was a kiwi team, which is true. I think Pither got the deal after Dave's talk, Dave I know was almost in PRA again but something went bad, still not many know exactly what happened
Old 13 Jul 2017, 11:25 (Ref:3750901)   #545
PS2244
Veteran

Australia
Newcastle, NSW
PS2244 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mceci1 View Post
That right there is how. It was a deal with Superblack. Super Black in Tony Lentino I am sure spoke to Dave about doing it. Someone else here it was I think who also happens to know Super Black management said it never happened though as it was a kiwi team, which is true. I think Pither got the deal after Dave's talk, Dave I know was almost in PRA again but something went bad, still not many know exactly what happened
But wasn't Super Black Racing founded on the premise of promoting kiwi born talent?
Old 13 Jul 2017, 11:25 (Ref:3750902)   #546
T-star
Racer

T-star should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What went wrong was 4 into 3 doesn't go buddy
Old 13 Jul 2017, 11:54 (Ref:3750907)   #547
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not that it really matters now. The only one left without a drive was Mr Pither, when the LDM deal that had several big backers linked to it, fell over.
Old 14 Jul 2017, 00:44 (Ref:3751040)   #548
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
New Sydney street race to feature Sydney Harbour Bridge
Old 14 Jul 2017, 01:09 (Ref:3751045)   #549
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wiihiilbur....
Old 14 Jul 2017, 01:13 (Ref:3751046)   #550
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
I just checked the calendar-its not April