Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 21 Apr 2017, 11:15 (Ref:3728155)   #1301
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
You haven't got a new neighbour who's yellow, answers to the name Buzby and sounds like Bernard Cribbins have you Mike?

...or maybe it's Maureen Lipman checking to see if you've got an 'ology'!
Old 21 Apr 2017, 11:33 (Ref:3728158)   #1302
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Buzby- is he still about? What's puzzling is that it is an almost new Tranny, so not likely an 'end of term' van possibly sold off still stickered up. One guess is that the employee / driver has been 'on the sick' all this time........
Old 21 Apr 2017, 12:00 (Ref:3728162)   #1303
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
At around the time that the GPO was morphing into BT, the son of my sales manager was a senior technician for them, and was responsible for teams installing BT cabling into new high rise buildings, both flats and commercial buildings.

Whenever they started a new job, the management would give them a target completion date taking into consideration that the teams would work on shift patterns, working 12 hours on and 12 hours off, 7 days a week.

The only problem was that the day team would complete the night shift's work, which meant that the night lot could stay tucked up in their beds at home during each job. And each member of the team would take it turn to sleep in the van on the site during the installation, and the day and night teams used to swap shifts so that the all did their bit.

And it's not that their managers didn't know what was going on, as they had all risen through the ranks themselves. It was just the way that they did things then, like when the managers would go around the engineers towards the end of the year to find out what dates they wanted to book as "sick days" so that they all used up the "allocation".
Old 21 Apr 2017, 12:02 (Ref:3728163)   #1304
lotustwincam
Rookie

United Kingdom
lotustwincam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I should imagine the engineer had to phone the BT technical help line and is still on hold!
Old 21 Apr 2017, 13:17 (Ref:3728180)   #1305
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
At around the time that the GPO was morphing into BT, the son of my sales manager was a senior technician for them, and was responsible for teams installing BT cabling into new high rise buildings, both flats and commercial buildings.

Whenever they started a new job, the management would give them a target completion date taking into consideration that the teams would work on shift patterns, working 12 hours on and 12 hours off, 7 days a week.

The only problem was that the day team would complete the night shift's work, which meant that the night lot could stay tucked up in their beds at home during each job. And each member of the team would take it turn to sleep in the van on the site during the installation, and the day and night teams used to swap shifts so that the all did their bit.

And it's not that their managers didn't know what was going on, as they had all risen through the ranks themselves. It was just the way that they did things then, like when the managers would go around the engineers towards the end of the year to find out what dates they wanted to book as "sick days" so that they all used up the "allocation".
Trust me, as someone who's in his 35th year @ said company, nothings changed
Old 21 Apr 2017, 13:36 (Ref:3728184)   #1306
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Since I paid for BT infinity a couple of months ago it's been absolute rubbish, yesterday a guy came out and did all the tests then proceeded to fit a new socket saying that it was the wrong type for the new hub, tested it and said perfect.
About a quarter of an hour later it was just the same with no signal at all !!!
I phoned them back and got onto someone that told me that I have a problem ! I said that's what I'm phoning about mate !!!! Flew to Spain this morning and have perfect WiFi that I'm using at this moment and it's free from next doors hub
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 21 Apr 2017, 15:54 (Ref:3728211)   #1307
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Since I paid for BT infinity a couple of months ago it's been absolute rubbish,
I have to admit that my infinity works fine, as far as I know! Streaming stuff from smart tv seems OK, and I've watched first 3 GPs on an ipad without any buffering etc. I do wonder if the service will slow if more peeps are using it in the future.

Many moons ago one of my squash playing buddies at the time was a BT engineer, so Mike H's story doesn't surprise me. Paul always seemed to be playing or in the bar......
Old 21 Apr 2017, 20:00 (Ref:3728243)   #1308
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Great . Trying to get early night and the blooming Germans have just started a Disco . Grrrrrrrr
Old 21 Apr 2017, 20:12 (Ref:3728245)   #1309
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Great . Trying to get early night and the blooming Germans have just started a Disco . Grrrrrrrr
Must be a 200 TDI then- they're hideously noisy...

May 25th the new documentary film on Bruce McLaren is supposed to be in cinemas- for one night only. Can't find it listed locally at the moment. Hopefully....
Old 21 Apr 2017, 20:19 (Ref:3728246)   #1310
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Mods! Banned for that awful joke!

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 22 Apr 2017, 05:27 (Ref:3728296)   #1311
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Mods! Banned for that awful joke!
Old 22 Apr 2017, 05:34 (Ref:3728297)   #1312
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
I just got that . Max that was quite good for Mike 😀
Old 22 Apr 2017, 06:10 (Ref:3728304)   #1313
356sc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Camberley
356sc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
60s endurance 1965 356sc #49
Mag 7's #60
Old 22 Apr 2017, 06:33 (Ref:3728310)   #1314
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I'll give that an 8, not a bad joke at all.

We switched from sky to but a while back,not bad . . . When it does slow up its just overall demand. At the end of the day everything comes down a tiddly little wire Busby fitted in the 70's!
Old 22 Apr 2017, 08:43 (Ref:3728358)   #1315
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
At the end of the day everything comes down a tiddly little wire Busby fitted in the 70's!
Same here and we are the last phone at the end of the line in our village.
Last year a bus knocked the phone pole down that feeds our house and left the wires on the lawn and the pole hanging in one of our apple trees ! believe it or not but this wasn't rectified for over a month as they had to close the road !
The main problem now is that we are all getting used to the internet to do loads of things instantly and also the Smart TV works off it, at this moment I am sitting in bed in Spain typing this, how things have changed in my lifetime !!!
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 22 Apr 2017, 09:10 (Ref:3728364)   #1316
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Same here and we are the last phone at the end of the line in our village.
Last year a bus knocked the phone pole down that feeds our house and left the wires on the lawn and the pole hanging in one of our apple trees ! believe it or not but this wasn't rectified for over a month as they had to close the road !
The main problem now is that we are all getting used to the internet to do loads of things instantly and also the Smart TV works off it, at this moment I am sitting in bed in Spain typing this, how things have changed in my lifetime !!!
Exactly Gordon, you wouldn't have been sitting in bed at this time of day when you were a youngster...
Old 22 Apr 2017, 09:16 (Ref:3728367)   #1317
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Exactly Gordon, you wouldn't have been sitting in bed at this time of day when you were a youngster...
I thought most youngsters were still in bed at this time of day!
Old 22 Apr 2017, 10:08 (Ref:3728378)   #1318
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
I thought most youngsters were still in bed at this time of day!
I would only have just been climbing into my own bed at around that time!
Old 22 Apr 2017, 10:11 (Ref:3728379)   #1319
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:

I notice you say climbing into your own bed, Mike - I won't comment further!!
Old 22 Apr 2017, 10:48 (Ref:3728393)   #1320
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
If that's not boasting- I don't know what is!
Old 22 Apr 2017, 12:38 (Ref:3728414)   #1321
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some people use bunk beds still?
Old 22 Apr 2017, 12:45 (Ref:3728416)   #1322
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
I see it's the annual classic car 'Drive It Day' tomorrow, so hopefully the weather will be appropriate for those wanting to exercise their P&J.....

Our (mostly) dry conditions over the last month or so have been useful as my 'daily driver' has alternated between Morgan +4 race car and RS1600. Every time I drive the former on a public highway it reminds me what horrible road cars they are..... Earplugs help a little, but not a lot!
Old 22 Apr 2017, 13:53 (Ref:3728428)   #1323
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
I see it's the annual classic car 'Drive It Day' tomorrow, so hopefully the weather will be appropriate for those wanting to exercise their P&J.....

Our (mostly) dry conditions over the last month or so have been useful as my 'daily driver' has alternated between Morgan +4 race car and RS1600. Every time I drive the former on a public highway it reminds me what horrible road cars they are..... Earplugs help a little, but not a lot!
Yes, a friend has a Morgan +4 he has virtually never used because he says it is so uncomfortable. He lives in Norfolk too.

Been dry here for weeks - could actually do with some rain - so no doubt classics will be out & about here too. Which reminds me Mike, we have our local 'Bourse' (autojumble) in Hesdin on 1 May. It's usually quite a good one so let me know if there are any Peugeot bits I should look out for.
Old 22 Apr 2017, 15:45 (Ref:3728432)   #1324
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
It's usually quite a good one so let me know if there are any Peugeot bits I should look out for.
This list is vastly detailed in Bauble's book, already #1 of sales in Zimbabwe and Tanzania… dedicated by Mr Shoe Maker!
Sinon, Jean, vous avez aussi le Bethune Rétro Festival, fin août. Le président de mon club ne recommande pas trop Ã* cause des problèmes de parking pour les voitures modernes!
Old 22 Apr 2017, 20:44 (Ref:3728447)   #1325
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
This list is vastly detailed in Bauble's book, already #1 of sales in Zimbabwe and Tanzania… dedicated by Mr Shoe Maker!
Sinon, Jean, vous avez aussi le Bethune Rétro Festival, fin août. Le président de mon club ne recommande pas trop Ã* cause des problèmes de parking pour les voitures modernes!
Gerard, I don't know the Bethune Festival - I can imagine parking could be difficult!

Have you ever been to Christophe Pund's 1st May party?
Closed Thread