Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 22 Nov 2017, 20:43 (Ref:3782260)   #3426
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
Got my Winter Fuel Allowance today - just in time to pay for my race licence medical :-)
Thankyou all workers & taxpayers

Oooh - that's something to look forward to........will pay a chunk of my car hire in Tenerife, where I'm spending most of December as a way of cutting my heating costs
Old 22 Nov 2017, 21:54 (Ref:3782272)   #3427
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
I might even fit a nice small block Chevy engine in the Landcrusier, that should cut the pollution down.
When Dartford crossing was boll*xed (most Fridays) I couldn't divert through Blackwall with my Sprinter without incurring the horrendous LEZ charge, but the ancient rv with the 7 litre (petrol) Chevy V8 and 9mpg when towing was fine
Old 22 Nov 2017, 21:58 (Ref:3782274)   #3428
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A friend currently in Cuba sent me this. Rather nice don't you think?
Attached Thumbnails
t (2).JPG  

Last edited by Colin McKay; 22 Nov 2017 at 22:07.
Old 23 Nov 2017, 06:30 (Ref:3782369)   #3429
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McKay View Post
Yes, and a proper Skoda- without any VW underpinnings..... Does it have correct engine etc? I understand a lot of classics over there have been swapped onto other oily bits!

I've always wanted a 130RS. Found this picture of the car used for homologation pics ....
Attached Thumbnails
skodahomologation_form_number_1668_group_2_3.jpg  
Old 23 Nov 2017, 07:21 (Ref:3782372)   #3430
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McKay View Post
They are rather pretty. Skoda GB I believe own a pale blue one. When I was at school we had a Czechoslovakian music teacher who had the saloon version, also in red.

Skoda always has a fine display of its heritage at Techno Classica Essen. Done some 'Superb' stuff in the past.
Old 23 Nov 2017, 07:27 (Ref:3782373)   #3431
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Yes, and a proper Skoda- without any VW underpinnings..... Does it have correct engine etc? I understand a lot of classics over there have been swapped onto other oily bits!

I've always wanted a 130RS. Found this picture of the car used for homologation pics ....
There must be some old body moulds left over from the Super Saloon era somewhere, Mike!

Some years ago I had the long-term use of a 130 saloon. It wasn't running too well & went in to the local garage, a Skoda dealer, for service. At the time they were preparing a rally car for a local bank manager so they had a rummage in the spares & came up with some different carb jets that they fitted to 'my' car. Ran like a dream after that!
Old 23 Nov 2017, 13:45 (Ref:3782426)   #3432
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Will be needed for a while yet. I doubt the residents of Attleborough would relish being blown up due to a leaking main!

In any case, once something has gone through the approval and schudling process and contractors have been contracted, it will happen. It will cost even if it doesn't happen!

Mentioning which.

The hell that is the M1 around J24.

When they did the roundabout refurm a couple of years ago they spent a million or more putting in a rather strange little loop thing to get traffic from the A50 off J24 and onto J23A a mile south. Now they are completely re-engineering the whole thing once more and that odd little section will be eradicated.

Likewise around the same time they finished making the A453 between J24 and the outskirts of Nottingham and Dual carriageway. Now they are ripping up the point at which it and the M1 southbound exit join the roundabout and and redesigning everything once more with another year of chaos before scheduled completion.

Money? Who cares? Efficiency? Who cares? Sensible planning assessment and control? You what? More then many people's jobs are worth.

Utter chaos around here most of the day.
J24 of M1:

Installation of a "smart motorway" - pah

A453 and roundsbouts - enabling the building of a huge rail linked "inland port" next to airport. - pah, and more hgv chaos in future years.

And they start building a new roundabout and access road between Castle Donington and the race track in January - pah

All at the same time. You couldnt make it up
Old 23 Nov 2017, 18:43 (Ref:3782463)   #3433
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Continuing the Skoda theme...

Back in the 90s, due to business problems I was forced to swap my Integrale for something more - ahem - affordable. I bought a Skoda Estelle 120S (well, if you're going to economise you may as well do it properly).

Apart from the front disc brakes, which had less friction material than most modern mountain bikes, it was great. Not a spot of rust on the body, nice slick gearchange, reasonable handling (as long as you didn't need to change direction suddenly once committed to a corner) and a dead simple engine.

A complete replacement exhaust was £30, servicing was all the things we old farts would understand (points, plugs, air and oil filters) and I could park it anywhere.

I guess the Skoda has set the scene for my subsequent motoring. I'm now driving a 16-year old Golf Diesel with 180K on the clock and am struggling to find a reason to replace it...
Old 23 Nov 2017, 19:36 (Ref:3782470)   #3434
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Morgan View Post

Back in the 90s, due to business problems I was forced to swap my Integrale for something more - ahem - affordable. I bought a Skoda Estelle 120S (well, if you're going to economise you may as well do it properly).

Apart from the front disc brakes, which had less friction material than most modern mountain bikes, it was great. Not a spot of rust on the body, nice slick gearchange, reasonable handling (as long as you didn't need to change direction suddenly once committed to a corner) and a dead simple engine.

A complete replacement exhaust was £30, servicing was all the things we old farts would understand (points, plugs, air and oil filters) and I could park it anywhere.

I guess the Skoda has set the scene for my subsequent motoring. I'm now driving a 16-year old Golf Diesel with 180K on the clock and am struggling to find a reason to replace it...
Skoda's certainly didn't deserve their music hall joke image. My favourite moment was overtaking an XR3 pootling along on the M40 one day. That clearly dented his ego as he promptly re-passed me, only for me to repeat the procedure a mile or two later...

...and like you Alan, I'm quite happy with my near-15 year-old Alfa 156 JTD with 244,000km on the clock.
Old 23 Nov 2017, 19:48 (Ref:3782474)   #3435
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Morgan View Post

Long long time ago a neighbour and former colleague of mine ended up in an awkward life situation for a while and needed some form of transport.

Bought a Skoda 120 Coupe for about £50 iirc.

Rough but usable after a little fettling of the carb but the gear shift lever had broken so was either rather short or very loose - can't recall which.

Still, it worked for him for a few months until he got his life back together.
Old 23 Nov 2017, 19:51 (Ref:3782475)   #3436
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
J24 of M1:

Installation of a "smart motorway" - pah

A453 and roundsbouts - enabling the building of a huge rail linked "inland port" next to airport. - pah, and more hgv chaos in future years.

And they start building a new roundabout and access road between Castle Donington and the race track in January - pah

All at the same time. You couldnt make it up
Aargh! They are finally going to start that?

Must be a year since the cut down the tall trees and cleared the hedging along side the road they are going to mess with instead of using the logical route to the north of CD.

I can just imagine the further chaos that will cause.

Time to demand a rates rebate.
Old 24 Nov 2017, 06:12 (Ref:3782571)   #3437
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Aargh! They are finally going to start that?

Must be a year since the cut down the tall trees and cleared the hedging along side the road they are going to mess with instead of using the logical route to the north of CD.

I can just imagine the further chaos that will cause.

Time to demand a rates rebate.
Yes, they are going to start soon, along with another 800 plus houses. Just hope the new owners don't then start moaning about the noise from the track.

Oh, and I found out last night that UPS are going to build a new freight depot on one of the car parks at the airport!
Old 24 Nov 2017, 09:01 (Ref:3782588)   #3438
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Me too Mike.Great handling and pretty quick as well.Believe it or not,they were nicely built as well.
Had a fair bit to do with them in early seventies at Skoda GB in Kings Lynn.(We had our own rally course collecting the cars from the docks)😂
Old 24 Nov 2017, 10:30 (Ref:3782604)   #3439
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence View Post
Me too Mike.Great handling and pretty quick as well.Believe it or not,they were nicely built as well.
Had a fair bit to do with them in early seventies at Skoda GB in Kings Lynn.(We had our own rally course collecting the cars from the docks)��
I’d forgotten that Skodas were shipped into Lynn! Were the rally cars prepared at their HQ? I’d have a Gp2 touring car version, and was nearly tempted when in the Czech Republic doing the deal on my MTX sports racer several years ago. I mentioned 130RS and next thing I know is that details of one for sale we’re emailed to me......

Would be great to see one racing in the MRL or PA series!
Old 24 Nov 2017, 12:29 (Ref:3782618)   #3440
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:
I’d forgotten that Skodas were shipped into Lynn! Were the rally cars prepared at their HQ? I’d have a Gp2 touring car version, and was nearly tempted when in the Czech Republic doing the deal on my MTX sports racer several years ago. I mentioned 130RS and next thing I know is that details of one for sale we’re emailed to me......

Would be great to see one racing in the MRL or PA series!

I remember hundreds of Skodas sitting on the dock side at Lynn for years in the early 80s after flooding left them unsaleable and I think there were insurance wrangles.

Here is a 130RS for you, Mike

https://www.rally24.com/rally-cars-f...-rs-39053.html
Old 24 Nov 2017, 13:11 (Ref:3782620)   #3441
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
I remember hundreds of Skodas sitting on the dock side at Lynn for years in the early 80s after flooding left them unsaleable and I think there were insurance wrangles.

Here is a 130RS for you, Mike

https://www.rally24.com/rally-cars-f...-rs-39053.html
Wow, that’s nice! Over double what I would have paid 7yrs ago for a period Gp2 racer- such is life......
Old 24 Nov 2017, 19:44 (Ref:3782684)   #3442
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
If any of you felt the earth move today - as I did when there was a crashing sound from the porch about lunchtime...........its probably only the latest Demon Tweeks catalogue..........

Couldn't believe the thud it made - then I lifted it up........and checked for dents in the floor!

It weighs just under 1.5 lb - glad I don't have their postal bill - I'd have thought they'd have done most of their business from online orders, these days........
Old 24 Nov 2017, 20:02 (Ref:3782692)   #3443
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
If any of you felt the earth move today - as I did when there was a crashing sound from the porch about lunchtime...........its probably only the latest Demon Tweeks catalogue..........

Couldn't believe the thud it made - then I lifted it up........and checked for dents in the floor!

It weighs just under 1.5 lb - glad I don't have their postal bill - I'd have thought they'd have done most of their business from online orders, these days........
And for some reason I usually get 3 copies plus the one that comes with the Xmas Autosport issue!
Old 24 Nov 2017, 20:54 (Ref:3782703)   #3444
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

There used to be loads of them in special/super saloons in the 70s. Amazing they were so competitive.
Old 24 Nov 2017, 20:59 (Ref:3782706)   #3445
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Those catalogues make useful door stops......

Peter, I guess some were ‘tweaked’ a bit in special or super saloon racing- or were a replica body dropped over a formula or sports racer chassis.... ?

The site that has the Skoda for sale also lists something for Gerard......

https://www.rally24.com/rally-cars-f...ine-39144.html

Goodwood eligible?

Last edited by Mike Bell; 24 Nov 2017 at 21:05.
Old 24 Nov 2017, 21:42 (Ref:3782716)   #3446
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Those catalogues make useful door stops......

Peter, I guess some were ‘tweaked’ a bit in special or super saloon racing- or were a replica body dropped over a formula or sports racer chassis.... ?

The site that has the Skoda for sale also lists something for Gerard......

https://www.rally24.com/rally-cars-f...ine-39144.html

Goodwood eligible?

.... or maybe it would do for you, Mike. The seller says he is only interested in a Mk1 Escort as p/ex!

Weren't the Skoda Super Saloons based on Chevron & the like sports car chassis?
Old 25 Nov 2017, 06:43 (Ref:3782831)   #3447
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
.... or maybe it would do for you, Mike. The seller says he is only interested in a Mk1 Escort as p/ex!

Weren't the Skoda Super Saloons based on Chevron & the like sports car chassis?
Yes they were. I think they were chosen because the size matched sports racers of the day. ISTR you had to use the original windscreen or something esoteric like that.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 25 Nov 2017, 08:05 (Ref:3782839)   #3448
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
For goodness sake, why don't you lot form a Skoda Appreciation Society, launch your own forum, and leave us saner types in peace?

I don't believe it ...........................................
Old 25 Nov 2017, 09:11 (Ref:3782850)   #3449
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Nice 4 CV, Mike! Do you remember that the very first batch of them entered Le Mans were due to privateer and against the will of Renault (RNUR by those days)? The slowest thing I drove on the Bugatti was a Pichon-Parat coupé Dolomite with calandre coupe frites Panhard flat twin engineered. Cant imagine the Hunaudières with that…
Old 25 Nov 2017, 09:45 (Ref:3782864)   #3450
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
I was wondering how much of the Alpine stuff bolted straight on, Gerard? Certainly a performance boost over the standard car!

If Bob doesn’t want us to talk about Skoda, better make it 4CV instead- As long as it winds him up....