Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 4 Jul 2017, 04:59 (Ref:3748790)   #2201
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Ah funny you should say John . My very first trip to Spa in the early 90's I had my very old Transit motor home . Finished racing Sunday and drove out of paddock to go out around circuit which is what you did in those days . Could not make it up the hill ��I had to reverse all the way back past the pits trailer and all and then take a blooming good run through la source and over the top of Radion . Happy days
Did you try a standing start from pole? Have you made it to the top on your 'bike? It's as much as I could do to walk it!
Old 4 Jul 2017, 06:07 (Ref:3748811)   #2202
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
John it depends on which grid you're starting from! Really the nowadays slope has nothing to do with what it use to be. And the detour they made was not really easy to use either!
If you didn't already make it, next time just drive or ride on the real thing and try to imagine going to Stavelot banking curve, flat out after the Masta S. With an RSR we did 283 to the limiter.
Old 4 Jul 2017, 07:35 (Ref:3748827)   #2203
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tel 911S View Post
It has gone a little quiet since the Euphoria of the famous birthday , so I thought,[as there was talk of lack of security at Portsmouth ferry], I would mention a time I came back on the Santander / Plymouth ferry .
Probably late eighties , when we still had to use Carnets for van / Trailer / car / parts through EU borders .

Was getting carnets done in Santander prior to boarding when this white Rolls with Gold plated mascot & door handles came past to get on ferry .
The driver was short , fat , greasy , well tanned & wearing a white suit .He looked like the sort of person you could take an instant dislike to.

Anyway , when we got into customs shed at Plymouth to get carnets signed out , there was the Rolls Royce being dismantled by customs .
Had a bit of a laugh , but thought he was just too obvious , & his mate in a plain Sierra had just got through with all of the dodgy goods .
I too have had my van (and boat) taken apart at Newhaven when returning from Spain in the 70s ! However I remember the case of "Split Waterman" the ex speedway rider from years back. He was found out because the Triumph Herald that he was driving was too heavy to get up the "gangplank" that was used back then because the chassis was full up with gold !

In 1967 he was arrested at Newhaven while attempting to board a ferry to Dieppe, after gold with a value of £10,000 was found in the chassis of his fiancée Avril Priston's car. A subsequent raid at Priston's family home in Bedfordshire found illegal firearms. Waterman was convicted in 1968 of attempting to smuggle gold out of Britain, as well as unlawful possession of firearms including two sub-machine guns, two rifles, and three pistols, and possession of dies for forging coins, and sentenced to four years in prison. The gold was thought to have come from a bullion van robbery in Clerkenwell. Priston was convicted of conspiracy to smuggle gold and possession of two pistols and a pen gun, and was sentenced to six months in prison.
Waterman married Avril in 1970 at Caxton Hall. As of 4 July 2011, they were living in Nerja, Costa del Sol, Spain.

All the best people live down near me !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 4 Jul 2017, 15:10 (Ref:3748906)   #2204
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Waterman married Avril in 1970 at Caxton Hall. As of 4 July 2011, they were living in Nerja, Costa del Sol, Spain.

All the best people live down near me !
I thought the people looked a bit dodgy when I was on holiday there a couple of years ago, I wonder if I bumped into him in Lidl's
Old 4 Jul 2017, 19:01 (Ref:3748955)   #2205
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
I thought the people looked a bit dodgy when I was on holiday there a couple of years ago, I wonder if I bumped into him in Lidl's
He would be in his mid 90s now and if he had got away with it that amount of gold would have been a good investment, then it was about £28 an ounce, now it is about £950 do the maths !!!!!
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 4 Jul 2017, 21:04 (Ref:3748964)   #2206
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Long day just got home and watching Tommy Cooper. Just the best .😀😀😀
Old 6 Jul 2017, 10:57 (Ref:3749266)   #2207
Dan Rear
Veteran

Dan Rear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
He would be in his mid 90s now and if he had got away with it that amount of gold would have been a good investment, then it was about £28 an ounce, now it is about £950 do the maths !!!!!
Just finished reading 'Goldfinger', Gordon, your story sounds a lot like that! Onto Live & Let Die now...
Old 6 Jul 2017, 11:36 (Ref:3749269)   #2208
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Who'd have thunk that changing the gearbox oil on an MGB would be so easy...Not. jack car up and look for the filler plug on the side of the box, there isn't one. Take aftermarket centre console out, remove big rubber plug from the tunnel, try and get the dipstick out from the top, can't lift it, try again still can't lift it, try once more and it's still not having it. Get under the car and bend hand and wrist double and finally manage to move it. There's not much oil in there and it was gear oil, not engine oil so that needs changing. Remove plugs from gearbox and O/D unit plus the O/D inspection cover, get oil over garage floor and me....
Time for tea as Iain would say.
Still got to work out how to get 6 pints of oil back in through a hole that's more inaccessible than...well
Old 6 Jul 2017, 11:51 (Ref:3749270)   #2209
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
What makes it worse, as you say, is the huge quantity of oil the box takes! I've got a small funnel that use when filling Gilbert's box, but have the advantage that the tunnel top is removeable. Presume you're refilling with proper old fashioned 20/50?
Old 6 Jul 2017, 12:04 (Ref:3749274)   #2210
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
I have some Valvoline 20/50 here, I could use that as even cheap 20/50 seems to be as expensive now. I need to find a funnel to attach to some garden hose, the alternative is my 80ml syringe attached to a length of 5mm air tubing, I could be out there some time.
Old 6 Jul 2017, 12:52 (Ref:3749277)   #2211
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
I have some Valvoline 20/50 here, I could use that as even cheap 20/50 seems to be as expensive now. I need to find a funnel to attach to some garden hose, the alternative is my 80ml syringe attached to a length of 5mm air tubing, I could be out there some time.
Interesting now that 20/50 Mineral oil is for 'classics', the price has gone up...
Old 6 Jul 2017, 13:40 (Ref:3749279)   #2212
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Interesting now that 20/50 Mineral oil is for 'classics', the price has gone up...
I paid £20 per 5 litres from Euros about 3 years ago, cheapest 20/50 they do now is is Triple QX at £22 after a 30% discount
Old 6 Jul 2017, 16:00 (Ref:3749298)   #2213
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Mineral oils are not so popular here and I can't see why. Rather often, people go for expensive oils before wondering what would be the best choice for classic gearboxes/ engines. If you're using brass synchromesh in the gearbox mineral seems better than the "modern" stuff. May be there are more dog engagement than in period though…
Old 6 Jul 2017, 17:35 (Ref:3749316)   #2214
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Many moons ago I tried modern synthetic oil in an MGB box- the synchro was rubbish, so I quickly reverted to the old fashioned stuff. Perfect again.....
Old 6 Jul 2017, 18:03 (Ref:3749318)   #2215
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I know this may not be the right place but has anyone received an "invite" to enter the Barry Sidery-Smith memorial/celebration race at the 6hrs? We can make all sorts of guesses as to the reasoning but if I had the time I'd do it. Sadly I don't think I will.
Old 6 Jul 2017, 18:04 (Ref:3749319)   #2216
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Funny, I don't have these problems with my Vauxhall Astra.
Old 6 Jul 2017, 18:08 (Ref:3749321)   #2217
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Funny, I don't have these problems with my Vauxhall Astra.
Getting an invitation to race at Spa you mean?
Old 6 Jul 2017, 18:39 (Ref:3749325)   #2218
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
Getting an invitation to race at Spa you mean?
All the world loves a smart r's
Old 6 Jul 2017, 18:39 (Ref:3749327)   #2219
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's not historic enough ...... unlike it's driver.
Old 6 Jul 2017, 18:48 (Ref:3749330)   #2220
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Mike, as others I feel have to say "I know I shouldn't BUT" could you name a brand or viscosity please as to gearbox oil please? Not as an advert but like a conversation between fans ya no… OK, some who post here from time to time might argue its a recommendation ! But obviously it won't be! Na !
Old 6 Jul 2017, 19:17 (Ref:3749336)   #2221
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
I know this may not be the right place but has anyone received an "invite" to enter the Barry Sidery-Smith memorial/celebration race at the 6hrs? We can make all sorts of guesses as to the reasoning but if I had the time I'd do it. Sadly I don't think I will.
Sounds a great idea and fitting tribute. Who's organising?
Old 6 Jul 2017, 19:21 (Ref:3749338)   #2222
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Redwater, the e mail came from Vincent Collard.
Old 6 Jul 2017, 19:21 (Ref:3749339)   #2223
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
I've not had a personal invite but seeing as the poster for it has two pictures of my car on it then I suppose I could enter, It's a shame I don't have a licence this year.
Edited, I've just had an email inviting me.
Old 6 Jul 2017, 19:24 (Ref:3749341)   #2224
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Mike, as others I feel have to say "I know I shouldn't BUT" could you name a brand or viscosity please as to gearbox oil please? Not as an advert but like a conversation between fans ya no… OK, some who post here from time to time might argue its a recommendation ! But obviously it won't be! Na !
Not quite following you Gerard. Do you mean viscosity that didn't work or the one that does? BTW, having thought further, the ZF in my Escort also runs mineral oil, but a Morgan Moss box works best on modern stuff that is the colour of and has the consistency of a strawberry smoothy.....
Old 6 Jul 2017, 19:31 (Ref:3749342)   #2225
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Best you get your licence Tim . Can you do Barry's race Ina Nat A
Closed Thread