Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 8 Jul 2017, 21:28 (Ref:3749660)   #2251
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
we have had a very expensive FJ engine built and the engine builder is insisting we use Joe Gibbs . Who the f--k is he .
We use Joe Gibbs in the Honda "racing engines", some dads insist on changing it every meeting. At £20 per litre. In a lawn mower engine.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 9 Jul 2017, 00:58 (Ref:3749687)   #2252
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tel 911S View Post
It is not easy to describe without having the gearbox to work with .
But with the gearbox assembled & the top cover off , looking at the mainshaft from above , each baulk ring should only move a very small amount before it grips the taper of the gear next to it .
If there is a lot of clearance before it grips , then the gearchange into that gear will be difficult , & eventually the baulk ring will break .
Do you have to use baulk rings to comply with the rules ? as you will have less trouble with the gearbox if you leave them out
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 9 Jul 2017, 05:09 (Ref:3749702)   #2253
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Gordon, good point you make here. The understanding of the rules by scrutineers is that we must have the synchromesh system in working order. I wonder if they have a very accurate tool to check the semi-helical geers though…
Old 9 Jul 2017, 05:17 (Ref:3749703)   #2254
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
We use Joe Gibbs in the Honda "racing engines", some dads insist on changing it every meeting
This sends to Mike's link (Driven). It seems that when we have no problems with a type or brand we keep it without further investigation.
Old 9 Jul 2017, 07:16 (Ref:3749708)   #2255
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
You lot arte driving me to Children's TV, as I try to find something to live for.
Old 9 Jul 2017, 09:32 (Ref:3749718)   #2256
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
You lot arte driving me to Children's TV, as I try to find something to live for.

There's a nice Vauxhall Viva for sale on Catawiki...
Old 9 Jul 2017, 10:30 (Ref:3749730)   #2257
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Get on sort out BBQ quiz
Old 9 Jul 2017, 10:36 (Ref:3749733)   #2258
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Get on sort out BBQ quiz

Expect lots of probing questions on the subject of Volvo truck engines & gearbox lubricants!!
Old 9 Jul 2017, 10:46 (Ref:3749738)   #2259
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Expect lots of probing questions on the subject of Volvo truck engines & gearbox lubricants!!

This thread can be very educational, but maybe some are a bit too old to be educated.......
Old 9 Jul 2017, 11:37 (Ref:3749751)   #2260
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post

This thread can be very educational, but maybe some are a bit too old to be educated.......
The biggest questions concern the sanity of those whose lives are controlled by engine oils, and baulk rings, whatever the heck they are.

Get a life for goodness sake, Halfords do a nice cheap line in engine oil.

Talking of Barbeques, I am still seeking prizes for the weekend draws. (no absurd allusions Viv).

Le Tour is in for a hard day and we should see plenty of movement in the top places.

I see that Lewis Hamilton has been decrying Vettel's action, and pointing out that they are role models for the kids.

Kettles and Bl .... oops!
Old 9 Jul 2017, 13:27 (Ref:3749766)   #2261
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Le Tour is in for a hard day and we should see plenty of movement in the top places.
Well Thomas is out- so that's one gone......

Old 9 Jul 2017, 13:48 (Ref:3749776)   #2262
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Well Thomas is out- so that's one gone......

...and Demare is as good as out, barring a minor miracle. However, he may be saved by Mickey Mouse as the rodent is currently blocking the road so could have a Safety Car effect & bunch the field.
Old 9 Jul 2017, 13:51 (Ref:3749777)   #2263
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
I see that Lewis Hamilton has been decrying Vettel's action, and pointing out that they are role models for the kids.
Would be great to listen to Rosberg's comments about that
Old 9 Jul 2017, 16:06 (Ref:3749800)   #2264
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Would be great to listen to Rosberg's comments about that
No wonder we have so many delinquents in our society, considering the role models they have.

We should have a 'Smug B' award on the forum.
Old 9 Jul 2017, 16:14 (Ref:3749806)   #2265
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Forget F1- Red Bull Soapbox Race from Alexandra Palace on telly now.....
Old 9 Jul 2017, 18:44 (Ref:3749972)   #2266
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post

Robert did you see the French competitor learning that you shouldn't say "Got it!" before getting the photo finish?
If you're in charge of the marshall quizz I have some questions …*Na, drop dead!
Old 9 Jul 2017, 19:30 (Ref:3750007)   #2267
bauble
Veteran

England
When you see the Ritchie Porte crash it makes Formula 1 drivers look like a bunch of sissies, with their cockpit protection, etc.

A real man's sport.
Old 9 Jul 2017, 22:44 (Ref:3750051)   #2268
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
When you see the Ritchie Porte crash it makes Formula 1 drivers look like a bunch of sissies, with their cockpit protection, etc.

A real man's sport.
Agreed, especially the Mountains.

Heck, I've tried 30mph down the hill into Castle Donington and that was, er, probably rather stupid looking back on it - especially as I was in the middle of the road passing a long queue of cars ...

But I can't imagine 45mph. Proper Kings of the Mountains.

How do the team cars keep up?

(Or were you making a sideways reference to the Philippa York story?)
Old 10 Jul 2017, 06:17 (Ref:3750090)   #2269
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
All in all there are few major accidents if you consider the number of racers, narrow roads, public sometimes stupid, stress, media sometimes public-like, time spent on the roads and speed all in a compact pack. Things improved since the racers are radio connected. Rather often, they use ex pro riders to drive the crew cars because they know what to do what not to do and what racers will do/ need. Add a little bit of chance too. What a sport.
Old 10 Jul 2017, 06:46 (Ref:3750093)   #2270
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
All in all there are few major accidents if you consider the number of racers, narrow roads, public sometimes stupid, stress, media sometimes public-like, time spent on the roads and speed all in a compact pack. Things improved since the racers are radio connected. Rather often, they use ex pro riders to drive the crew cars because they know what to do what not to do and what racers will do/ need. Add a little bit of chance too. What a sport.
All I know is I couldn't do it, not even half a day let alone 23, & I've got the utmost respect for all of them. They are certainly a world apart from the mindless lunatics who career around city streets without any consideration for anyone else - they certainly do deserve to be squashed!
Old 10 Jul 2017, 16:59 (Ref:3750219)   #2271
Eric.D
Rookie

England
Bedfordshire
Eric.D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

A real man's sport.
And how about Dan Martin. Bought down by Porte, he fell again later but remounted to finish in the top ten. Being able to get down a Mountain quickly is almost as important as getting up them.
Old 10 Jul 2017, 17:30 (Ref:3750223)   #2272
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
A new company built several models to determine the best stance for speed getting down a mountain. They use them in a small wind tunnel. Position of the rider, effect of the saddle on the aero, everything has been detailed. As to getting up, it seems you still have to push hard on the pedals…
Old 10 Jul 2017, 20:20 (Ref:3750263)   #2273
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
A new company built several models to determine the best stance for speed getting down a mountain. They use them in a small wind tunnel. Position of the rider, effect of the saddle on the aero, everything has been detailed. As to getting up, it seems you still have to push hard on the pedals…
I thought I had read somewhere about electric assistance appearing from time to time ....
Old 11 Jul 2017, 08:58 (Ref:3750345)   #2274
Eric.D
Rookie

England
Bedfordshire
Eric.D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
They also push hard on the pedals going down!. Lab tests will never replace inborn skill, nerve and sheer bravery. As shown by riders like Magni, Nencini and Salvodelli in the past and Vincenzo Nibali today.
Old 11 Jul 2017, 10:05 (Ref:3750359)   #2275
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Sometimes I will bike a long way home. This includes going up a steep hill. This bloke often overtakes me which Pi--es me off. I realized the other day he was an electric bike.
Closed Thread