Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 11 Jul 2017, 11:59 (Ref:3750391)   #2276
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Sometimes I will bike a long way home. This includes going up a steep hill. This bloke often overtakes me which Pi--es me off. I realized the other day he was on electric bike.
That's sneaky! I usually get overtaken 'cos I'm rubbish.....

Saw a rare car this morning in for MOT- a Saab Sonett III. Not the prettiest creation from them.....

Looked a little bit better than this one, and no US bumpers- http://jalopnik.com/for-2-700-this-1...sum-1716740412
Old 11 Jul 2017, 12:29 (Ref:3750398)   #2277
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
That's sneaky! I usually get overtaken 'cos I'm rubbish.....

Saw a rare car this morning in for MOT- a Saab Sonett III. Not the prettiest creation from them.....

Looked a little bit better than this one, and no US bumpers- http://jalopnik.com/for-2-700-this-1...sum-1716740412
A friend of mine sent me a pic of a Sonett that was on a classic run he did in Derbyshire a few weeks ago, so there's still a few around. Owner was looking for a co-driver but I'm just too far away.
Old 11 Jul 2017, 12:43 (Ref:3750401)   #2278
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I found myself in company with a Berkely Bond T60 yesterday in Luton, the 1959/60 three wheel model. Bright red and in VGC, ideal for the tropical weather of the day.
Old 11 Jul 2017, 12:53 (Ref:3750404)   #2279
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
I found myself in company with a Berkely Bond T60 yesterday in Luton, the 1959/60 three wheel model. Bright red and in VGC, ideal for the tropical weather of the day.
I just knew it wouldn't take long...
Old 11 Jul 2017, 13:53 (Ref:3750410)   #2280
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Pity he can't spell Berkeley, though.....
Old 11 Jul 2017, 14:08 (Ref:3750415)   #2281
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I can spell Berk though! Or even Burk! Or Bug er perhaps not.
Old 11 Jul 2017, 15:40 (Ref:3750439)   #2282
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
A T 60 !!!! I can't believe it Was it a 322, a 328 or a 492 cc
Old 11 Jul 2017, 23:51 (Ref:3750577)   #2283
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
A mate of mine had a 4-wheel Berkeley back in the early 70s.....He had broken down so I was towing him home with my Triumph Vitesse when he ran over the tow rope when we stopped at some lights and as I set off it ripped the rear outrigger out of the Vitesse....think it cost me about £15 to get a replacement welded in!
Old 12 Jul 2017, 06:52 (Ref:3750627)   #2284
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
I Think I charged about the same money Richard unless I set the car on fire
Old 12 Jul 2017, 07:55 (Ref:3750633)   #2285
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
A T 60 !!!! I can't believe it Was it a 322, a 328 or a 492 cc
I used to have an Excelsior Talisman Twin 250CC motorbike when I was 16 and still on L plates, I got hold of a 328cc engine out of a Berkely 3 wheeler and fitted it in the bike much to my mates annoyance as I could "burn" them off. The last of the "serious" law breakers They also made a 3 cylinder model but I thought that might give the game away !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 12 Jul 2017, 12:12 (Ref:3750684)   #2286
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Here's one for you, Mike..

https://encheres.catawiki.eu/kavels/...eot-205-rallye
Old 12 Jul 2017, 13:26 (Ref:3750703)   #2287
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Cheers! Lot wrong with it but has got the original air box, by looks of it.
Old 12 Jul 2017, 14:43 (Ref:3750713)   #2288
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Did anyone see Car SOS yesterday or before with the AC Aceca? I was interested in views about how they repaired the rotting body by bonding rather than welding new panels in, also should you be putting P38 on an ally body?
Old 12 Jul 2017, 14:54 (Ref:3750714)   #2289
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
Did anyone see Car SOS yesterday or before with the AC Aceca? I was interested in views about how they repaired the rotting body by bonding rather than welding new panels in, also should you be putting P38 on an ally body?
To be honest Tim, I don't watch these type of TV programme for this very reason. I think they give the uninformed a very bad idea about how to repair vehicles and the potential profit to be made buying, 'repairing' and re-selling old vehicles.
(By the same token, my wife who is a qualified chef & excellently experienced cook refuses to watch any TV programmes involving a 'Celebrity Chef'!)
Old 12 Jul 2017, 15:29 (Ref:3750723)   #2290
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
To be honest Tim, I don't watch these type of TV programme for this very reason. I think they give the uninformed a very bad idea about how to repair vehicles and the potential profit to be made buying, 'repairing' and re-selling old vehicles.
(By the same token, my wife who is a qualified chef & excellently experienced cook refuses to watch any TV programmes involving a 'Celebrity Chef'!)
I don't normally watch them either but as this was an AC I thought I'd watch. The last time I watched anything like this was a programme where they bought a 1971 Aston DBS 6, did a pretty **** poor resto job on it and passed it off as a DBS Vantage and some mug paid over £100K for it.
Old 12 Jul 2017, 16:12 (Ref:3750730)   #2291
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
We have this program here and even a Fench poor version made by one of my ex colleague. I'm with you and think this gives a bad idea of what is a true resto and they never take in count the labour. Only what a garage would charge you for some operations done. More make up than true job. Are we sure about the money paid? Do they pay for taxes too?
Old 12 Jul 2017, 17:44 (Ref:3750755)   #2292
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
We have this program here and even a Fench poor version made by one of my ex colleague. I'm with you and think this gives a bad idea of what is a true resto and they never take in count the labour. Only what a garage would charge you for some operations done. More make up than true job. Are we sure about the money paid? Do they pay for taxes too?
The one I watched last night, Car SOS don't sell the cars after the resto, they are done for people who wanted to do the cars themselves but are now unable to, last night's owner had suffered from cancer and heart trouble although all fit now so not sure why he was a special case apart from it was an AC Aceca. The restorers also seem to blag a lot of the services for free and don't even plug the companies that do it for them, that's if you believe a word of what they show.
Old 12 Jul 2017, 18:25 (Ref:3750760)   #2293
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Right Tim they dont sell the car after the work is completed. In this area the best job is carried by the american team "overhaulin" but always to people who deserve for any reason decided by the producers and certainly on cars with a high resale value or of great historical interest.
I was thinking about Wheeler Dealers. Ed China left the team a short while ago and seems a nice person with know how and a genuine passion for cars and mechanic. The other guy I won't say so.
I fully agree with your last comment.
As to the AC didn't they have it painted instead of polished? Cant remember…
Old 12 Jul 2017, 18:28 (Ref:3750761)   #2294
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
I think I've better follow Madame Viva advice. This kind of stuff makes me uncomfortable or sick ( not the cooking of course). Better not to watch. But honestly I had fun watching some episodes of Gordon Ramsay!!Specially in the US.
Old 12 Jul 2017, 18:31 (Ref:3750763)   #2295
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
I was trying to think of the American show Overhaulin, this one is along the same lines. The AC was painted but I was just wondering about the methods they used to repair it although I suppose it doesn't really matter as long as it stands the test of time.
Old 12 Jul 2017, 18:43 (Ref:3750766)   #2296
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Tim, should you watch "our" Vintage mecanic which makes almost half a million of watchers you would be close to get sick to I guess. They could call it "how to foul people refurbishing awkwardly a semi wreck classic". To avoid any legal trouble they often sale the car through auctioneers. No guarantee needed in this case. Distressing is the least comment I can do. OK they had some exceptions with cars like a Testarossa.
Old 12 Jul 2017, 19:55 (Ref:3750782)   #2297
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
Tim,there is a special alloy body filler,usual p38 does not stick properly and will flake off in time.
As for bonding the alloy sections-the guy should be shot!!!!
Old 13 Jul 2017, 09:54 (Ref:3750880)   #2298
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
With apologies to Bauble for boring him with motor racing related stuff on a motor racing forum....

...MiniMM has just had his medical for his race licence, cost him £51 and took place at the local truck stop. Well worth investigating if you don't need ECG etc:

http://www.doctorsonwheels.co.uk/
Old 13 Jul 2017, 10:08 (Ref:3750884)   #2299
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lots of motor racing clubs have doctors in their number. We (Historic FF2000 Association) offer medicals at our AGM for £40 for members and £50 for non-members. Up until this year the medicals were performed by a paediatric neurosurgeon who donated his time for free. It provides a very useful contribution to the association's coffers.

Coincidentally, our AGM is held at a truck stop...
Old 13 Jul 2017, 12:26 (Ref:3750914)   #2300
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
With apologies to Bauble for boring him with motor racing related stuff on a motor racing forum....

...MiniMM has just had his medical for his race licence, cost him £51 and took place at the local truck stop. Well worth investigating if you don't need ECG etc:

http://www.doctorsonwheels.co.uk/
Ah so we are getting close for that works test then Max.
Closed Thread