Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 2 Aug 2017, 12:02 (Ref:3756922)   #2426
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Talking of films, the Williams (racing- not Serena) documentary is out on Friday. Haven't checked yet to see where it's being shown....

http://www.thedrive.com/start-finish...ne-documentary
A friend says he is going to see it in London, but I don't know the location.
Old 2 Aug 2017, 12:25 (Ref:3756929)   #2427
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
A friend says he is going to see it in London, but I don't know the location.
The Curzon had the preview last week. I've now found that it's on tonight at Cinema City, so won't be able to watch it there....

Same director as the McLaren docu, I understand. Will be out on DVD or that other thing soon, so maybe will put on Xmas present list for Santa!
Old 6 Aug 2017, 12:45 (Ref:3757709)   #2428
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
As Sunday would normally mean quiet roads, drove into the city first thing rather than use the train. Turned out there was some 10k running thing on in the centre, and guess where I parked..... Eventually managed to find a way out by going in totally the opposite direction to that intended!

Even if had checked route beforehand, it wouldn't have helped as they'd changed it...
Old 6 Aug 2017, 13:28 (Ref:3757715)   #2429
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Never drive anywhere near or in London on Sundays Mike, if it's not closed for one minority event or another the roads will be gridlocked by Sunday drivers who have no idea where they are going and shouldn't hold a licence anyway.
Old 6 Aug 2017, 14:01 (Ref:3757722)   #2430
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
Never drive anywhere near or in London on Sundays Mike, if it's not closed for one minority event or another the roads will be gridlocked by Sunday drivers who have no idea where they are going and shouldn't hold a licence anyway.
It wasn't 'The Capital' city, Tim, but your comments still apply!
Old 6 Aug 2017, 14:24 (Ref:3757723)   #2431
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

'The City' can surely only mean Norwich - there are no others of any consequence!

Pretty gridlocked in our village today too - it's our annual Ducasse! (Gerard will know what that is).
Old 6 Aug 2017, 14:31 (Ref:3757726)   #2432
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Ah, we have some running thing blocking all the roads off as well, last week it was some cycling thing blocking all the roads off, like they think no one has anything better to do on a weekend than to pander to minority groups.
Old 6 Aug 2017, 20:01 (Ref:3757801)   #2433
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Street racing anyone? Can just imagine the NIMBY fuss...

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 6 Aug 2017, 20:29 (Ref:3757815)   #2434
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Are You prepared for Brexit !? !!

The UK mefric license runs out at the time of Brexit !
Dont get caught at the EU border with unlicensed metric goods and face stiff fines or possibly imprisonment !

Get your lifetime metric license today at the special discounted rate of only 500 pounds., or 10 easy payments of 60 pounds.
Act now !
Huge savings !

Comtact me via pm

Rudolf
Old 6 Aug 2017, 20:42 (Ref:3757828)   #2435
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudernst View Post
Are You prepared for Brexit !? !!

The UK mefric license runs out at the time of Brexit !
Dont get caught at the EU border with unlicensed metric goods and face stiff fines or possibly imprisonment !

Get your lifetime metric license today at the special discounted rate of only 500 pounds., or 10 easy payments of 60 pounds.
Act now !
Huge savings !

Comtact me via pm

Rudolf
Careful what you wish for Rudolf!

The UK could easily reciprocate by charging a fee for all those car & bicycle tyres, plus TV & computer screens that are measured in inches. That should make a nice profit!
Old 6 Aug 2017, 23:27 (Ref:3757885)   #2436
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
Ah, we have some running thing blocking all the roads off as well, last week it was some cycling thing blocking all the roads off, like they think no one has anything better to do on a weekend than to pander to minority groups.
The new "Expert's" proposal to ban all vehicles from London (and presumably other places) since even Electric vehicles will generate brake dust and rubber tyre residue dust might be very welcome.

The effect of what seems to the the southern exodus for the north on Friday afternoon is, in the area of J24 of the M1 (and no doubt other places) highly disruptive for miles around.

The idea that the denizens of the London Boroughs would be somewhat more limited in their travel options and so perhaps stay put more often or travel by train (if there are any by then) is somewhat appealing.

If they have built HS2 by that time it might also be a way of justifying some form of high speed rail, though I suspect that by then any transport at any speed would be welcome and the track could be re-purposed to run higher passenger capacity at lower speeds. No luggage though as part of fair competition with air travel. Luggage would have to go freight, probably via a hub in Poland.
Old 7 Aug 2017, 16:48 (Ref:3758011)   #2437
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's a funny thing that many of us that are over the hill look back wistfully about our "racing " cars from our tender years. And I don't really know why.

I would say that pretty well every road going car that I have owned in the last 30 to 40 years has been more powerful, faster, and had far superior brakes and suspension. I would hazard a guess that most of those cars would have easily beaten the times that I was achieving in the old Anglia, with breath to spare. And on road tyres, too.
Old 7 Aug 2017, 17:15 (Ref:3758016)   #2438
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
It's a funny thing that many of us that are over the hill look back wistfully about our "racing " cars from our tender years.
I thought we were just getting into our prime, Mike! Trouble with a lot of modern cars is that their potential is only able to be exploited at high speeds, and it's not easy to go fast in the UK nowadays.....

Rudolf's thread made me think of common stuff that is still measured imperially. Wheel diameters for a start, which leads to tyre sizes having an odd mix of inches and millimetres. GP mentions TV & PC screens, but is that just for the UK?

Bring back yards, chains and furlongs!
Old 7 Aug 2017, 17:34 (Ref:3758025)   #2439
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
I thought we were just getting into our prime, Mike! Trouble with a lot of modern cars is that their potential is only able to be exploited at high speeds, and it's not easy to go fast in the UK nowadays.....

Rudolf's thread made me think of common stuff that is still measured imperially. Wheel diameters for a start, which leads to tyre sizes having an odd mix of inches and millimetres. GP mentions TV & PC screens, but is that just for the UK?

Bring back yards, chains and furlongs!
It was me who mentioned the screens Mike - they are certainly sold by the inch here although metric measurements are also being shown these days.

Several years ago whilst shopping on a local market, as were waiting to be served Jan commented to me that she supposed she wanted half a kilo of tomatoes. The stallholder overheard & asked if we would like a pound.

He'd probably get arrested for that in England!
Old 7 Aug 2017, 21:41 (Ref:3758060)   #2440
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
A good merchant you got there John, because "your" pound weights 454 g while "our" is 500 g!
Mike Harte is right, I pull my trailer with a diesel car more powerful than the Capri! And I dont think I could appreciate to drive a 2002 or 323 on a wet road…
Old 9 Aug 2017, 19:02 (Ref:3758442)   #2441
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
With no racing until Spa 6 (for me), thought would be good to try and get to an air fete or the like. Nothing too distant mind- just a day out. Guess what, I've missed most of them, as all the accessible events seem to have been during earlier race weekends.

So....Chantilly? Too far, travel costly and would need two days at least. Then I remembered a fellow racer enthusing about his first visit to Santa Pod last year. Quick look, and the Euro Finals are on 7-10 Sept, same w/end as that event in Sussex. Mmm, 2017 could be my first trip to 'The Pod'.....
Old 9 Aug 2017, 20:19 (Ref:3758460)   #2442
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
With no racing until Spa 6 (for me), thought would be good to try and get to an air fete or the like. Nothing too distant mind- just a day out. Guess what, I've missed most of them, as all the accessible events seem to have been during earlier race weekends.

So....Chantilly? Too far, travel costly and would need two days at least. Then I remembered a fellow racer enthusing about his first visit to Santa Pod last year. Quick look, and the Euro Finals are on 7-10 Sept, same w/end as that event in Sussex. Mmm, 2017 could be my first trip to 'The Pod'.....
Duxford's Battle of Britain show usually clashes with Goodwood but I've just checked & it's 23/24 September this year. That's the weekend after Spa...

Chantilly should be done, it's worth the effort. I really enjoyed it last year & would have gone again this year but for the clash with Goodwood.
Old 9 Aug 2017, 21:27 (Ref:3758475)   #2443
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Mike, I found the Euro drag racing faintly - make that greatly - disappointing when I went. A lot of unreliability, a lot of breaks for rain. When they were running the cars were mind blowing, but that was few and far between.
Old 10 Aug 2017, 05:35 (Ref:3758542)   #2444
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:

By the way Mike, did you ever go to the Drag Race meetings at Snetterton? They were quite entertaining - I remember the 'chute failing on one car & it disappeared across the fields towards Thetford as a result.
Old 10 Aug 2017, 05:42 (Ref:3758543)   #2445
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Mike, I found the Euro drag racing faintly - make that greatly - disappointing when I went. A lot of unreliability, a lot of breaks for rain. When they were running the cars were mind blowing, but that was few and far between.
I think the racer I mentioned went to Dragstalgia last year, so may be a bit different to when the modern stuff is there! And it won't rain in September- we emptied the sky this side of the country yesterday.....
Old 10 Aug 2017, 06:15 (Ref:3758545)   #2446
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
I think the racer I mentioned went to Dragstalgia last year, so may be a bit different to when the modern stuff is there! And it won't rain in September- we emptied the sky this side of the country yesterday.....

Ah, so you're really Michael Fish...!!
Old 10 Aug 2017, 06:30 (Ref:3758547)   #2447
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Ah, so you're really Michael Fish...!!
Shush........
Old 10 Aug 2017, 07:23 (Ref:3758552)   #2448
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:

Just to give you my 10 pennyworth Mike. I've been to Santa Pod twice, the first time was in the late 1980's. I admit that the idea of drag racing never appealed to me, but it's motorsport so I thought it would be worth a look. Admittedly the few 'proper' dragsters & funny cars were awesome the day I was there an American called Pete Crane broke the current UK record for the ΒΌ mile by getting below 6 seconds (I think it was). However, the road cars (MG Midget v Escort Mexico for example) by comparison were like watching paint dry!
My second visit was 20 years ago, I was bought a hot air balloon ride as a 40th birthday present, we took off from the outskirts of Northampton and actually landed in a field at Santa Pod! I enjoyed my second visit far more...
Old 10 Aug 2017, 07:53 (Ref:3758558)   #2449
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Shush........

Mike, do you remember Anglia TV weatherman Michael Hunt?

Took me years to work out why he was never known as Mike.........
Old 10 Aug 2017, 08:10 (Ref:3758560)   #2450
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
You'll be interested in this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Db6WHtNV5-I