Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 7 Sep 2010, 12:20 (Ref:2755656)   #1
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Guess what, Another new race series !!!!!!

At Willowbank on the weekend at the Rotax Cart nationals they had a Suzuki Swift on display with the promotion of a series for 2011.
The cars will be apparently the same as the NZ cars and the organisers will be looking at racing between the Aussie and NZ cars.
$45k+gst to buy a car or $75k to lease for the year +damages.

Now this is exactly what Australian motorsport needs, another bloody one make series. Why can't these people look at some existing catagories and try and boost them instead of trying to steel competitors away from them.

You would have to think that the target competitor base for these cars would be Mini Challenge, go cart, Aussie race car competitors. So all it will do is reduce there numbers. I can't see 30 people rushing out to buy a Swift.

I have no idea what meetings they propose to run at, hopefully no one want's them and it all falls over.

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 7 Sep 2010, 20:32 (Ref:2755913)   #2
BlueBlood
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland NZ
BlueBlood should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The swift series has caused the demise of the more expensive mini series over here. That is why the few remaining minis trundle around with a production class.
In particular a couple of black minis run by a larger than life character with links back to a finacially troubled V8 supercar team.
Old 7 Sep 2010, 21:38 (Ref:2755945)   #3
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
allthough i did enjoy the swift series when it ran probably 14 years or so ago now...but agree we do not need another class imo
Old 7 Sep 2010, 22:17 (Ref:2755962)   #4
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Just what we need-another one make series. I for one am excited!

The little Swift is fun to drive though.
Old 7 Sep 2010, 22:21 (Ref:2755963)   #5
nomad_n
Racer

New Zealand
gold coast
nomad_n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They run this series in NZ and as someone has said they did target mini drivers.... and it was a very boring series.
Old 7 Sep 2010, 22:47 (Ref:2755975)   #6
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtpanorama View Post
At Willowbank on the weekend at the Rotax Cart nationals they had a Suzuki Swift on display with the promotion of a series for 2011.
I spotted said Swift on the Thursday prior to the ASBK round at QR a few weeks ago when many of the Ute teams were doing a ride day.

It didn't have any info about a new series anywhere near it though.
Old 7 Sep 2010, 23:22 (Ref:2755988)   #7
alfacors
Veteran

alfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridalfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who will they run with? V8s? Shannons Nationals? iRace? MRA? I remember reading about the series in AA a while back, and some hint that they might look to expand to Australia, but realistically, if we haven't exactly shown great interest in the Minis, why would we be interested in these slower FWD hatches?
Old 8 Sep 2010, 04:25 (Ref:2756030)   #8
Quintin03
Veteran

Netherlands
Quintin03 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are these swifts the same we run on the other side of the word in the Netherlands? They've been a huge succes.
Old 8 Sep 2010, 05:29 (Ref:2756040)   #9
BlueBlood
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland NZ
BlueBlood should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quintin03 View Post
Are these swifts the same we run on the other side of the word in the Netherlands? They've been a huge succes.
Here are the specs for the NZ series cars.

http://www.swiftcup.co.nz/launch2.0/thevehicles.php

Not sure if the aussie series will be the same.
Old 8 Sep 2010, 06:29 (Ref:2756047)   #10
kiwi20
Racer

New Zealand
kiwi20 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Under 25 Drivers only allowed to enter.

The money seems too high. You can buy a NZ one for around 25kNZD. Why not just do that ans spend the other 25k Plus in change to run for the year?
Old 8 Sep 2010, 09:06 (Ref:2756088)   #11
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi20 View Post
Under 25 Drivers only allowed to enter.

The money seems too high. You can buy a NZ one for around 25kNZD. Why not just do that ans spend the other 25k Plus in change to run for the year?
Ours are very expensive then, considering your dollar is worth nothing compared to ours.

Apparently they will be the same spec as the NZ cars, so they car try and organise a race between both series.

I have also been told that they will be broadcasting the races live on the internet with in car cameras.

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 8 Sep 2010, 11:56 (Ref:2756133)   #12
kiwi20
Racer

New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtpanorama View Post
Ours are very expensive then, considering your dollar is worth nothing compared to ours.

Apparently they will be the same spec as the NZ cars, so they car try and organise a race between both series.

I have also been told that they will be broadcasting the races live on the internet with in car cameras.
Exactly. Buy a NZ one and ship it over. Save a few thousand.

But im guessing you have to buy it off the organizers and buy a franchise or something.
Old 8 Sep 2010, 22:24 (Ref:2756455)   #13
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Swifts are awesome little race cars. The coverage has shown good, close racing, and they make a nice introduction sedan class for kart racers.

Compared to a season of karting in Australia at national level, running a Swift would be filthy cheap.

The only real concern is that trans-Tasman events in the past haven't really worked - just look at the utes at the ITM 400 this year.
Old 9 Sep 2010, 06:24 (Ref:2756563)   #14
kiwi20
Racer

New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Do It! View Post

Compared to a season of karting in Australia at national level, running a Swift would be filthy cheap.

Th.
Karting you wont spend 75k like you will on this series. And for what 10 rounds max?
Old 9 Sep 2010, 23:48 (Ref:2757053)   #15
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
You would be surprised what some kart drivers spend on their racing , I think some teams and I mean top teams would spend $75 grand quite easilly.

there is a rumor of a driver in my local area who had a budget of anywhere from $35,000 and $50,000 last year and he is not yet one of the top karters in the country..

Of course you could just about run every weekend as well

but anywho back to the Swifts.......
Old 10 Sep 2010, 02:56 (Ref:2757087)   #16
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus View Post
You would be surprised what some kart drivers spend on their racing , I think some teams and I mean top teams would spend $75 grand quite easilly.

there is a rumor of a driver in my local area who had a budget of anywhere from $35,000 and $50,000 last year and he is not yet one of the top karters in the country..

Of course you could just about run every weekend as well

but anywho back to the Swifts.......
I wouldn't doubt that at all with what some spend on karting. There are some in the USA with Nascar sized tractor trailer rigs and spend well into the hundreds of thousands on all sorts of karting bling. I've had some good laughs seeing some of these guys turn up and disgorge a tiny go kart out of the back of these huge rigs and then to have six mechanics working over it furiously like it's some F1 car. Gimme a break.

In my mind, it's all a bit stupid and defeats the purpose of what karting is all about.

The Swift series I think has worked in NZ due to being on the main card with NZV8's and without that I don't think it would have made it.

I think with what I have seen by now these one make series may be close in terms of some of the racing, but I don't think they do much to develop a drivers skills and add depth to his abilities. I think you develop strength out of adversity and these one make series take away all those variables.
Old 10 Sep 2010, 03:12 (Ref:2757090)   #17
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus View Post
I wasn't "serious" about running karts but it was cheaper for me to run a HQ Holden than a kart just because of tyre costs and motor rebuilds!
Old 10 Sep 2010, 11:35 (Ref:2757228)   #18
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi20 View Post
Karting you wont spend 75k like you will on this series. And for what 10 rounds max?
Easily done. Some people are spending 5K to buy a single cylinder Yamaha because it won a championship. Then they buy a couple more in case they need a spare. Reality is not strong in kart ranks.