Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 4 Sep 2011, 18:17 (Ref:2950784)   #101
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
F1 needs someone like that.
Why?
Old 4 Sep 2011, 18:55 (Ref:2950798)   #102
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
Why?
Why not.

All the drivers are too PR roboty.

Everyone loved James Hunt because of stuff like that.
Old 4 Sep 2011, 18:58 (Ref:2950800)   #103
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
And the stewards DO make real mistakes from time to time, and we need drivers who will actually let them know just how teed off they are when a stupid call comes down.
Old 4 Sep 2011, 20:06 (Ref:2950846)   #104
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Why not.

All the drivers are too PR roboty.

Everyone loved James Hunt because of stuff like that.

That was a different time, I am not saying it was wrong, just different...

F1 has become like most others things in our world..

You can finish my last sentence...Post it you will not get into trouble...
Old 6 Sep 2011, 17:18 (Ref:2951752)   #105
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I am guessing that by doing a lot of earth-moving that it may have cut down on the amount of flammable material, but has the Austin fires impacted the track site?

And I want to send well wishes to those in the Austin area who have been negatively impacted by the fires. There are reports of 500+ homes being burnt to the ground.

Richard
Old 6 Sep 2011, 18:30 (Ref:2951784)   #106
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
According to the BBC, it's now more than 1,000 that have burned.

Fortunately, for the firefighters, it sounds like the winds off of Tropical Storm Lee have died down in the area.
Old 6 Sep 2011, 23:50 (Ref:2951952)   #107
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
I am guessing that by doing a lot of earth-moving that it may have cut down on the amount of flammable material, but has the Austin fires impacted the track site?

And I want to send well wishes to those in the Austin area who have been negatively impacted by the fires. There are reports of 500+ homes being burnt to the ground.

Richard

The fires are not near the track location, but thank you for your kind words..
Old 7 Sep 2011, 00:09 (Ref:2951958)   #108
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
The fires are not near the track location, but thank you for your kind words..
And far from you also, I hope !
Old 7 Sep 2011, 00:38 (Ref:2951964)   #109
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
And far from you also, I hope !
We had a fire in the town of Pflugerville which is near by Bon, unfortunately two families lost their homes which is very sad as one of the families was away on holiday..

It is so extremely dry here at the moment so I monitor all the water usage I possibly can.
Old 7 Sep 2011, 00:49 (Ref:2951967)   #110
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
We had a fire in the town of Pflugerville which is near by Bon, unfortunately two families lost their homes which is very sad as one of the families was away on holiday..

It is so extremely dry here at the moment so I monitor all the water usage I possibly can.
Sorry to hear that.

Wow, I know how it is, back in my hometown, at this time of the year is like where you are, the air humidity reached only 8% today. Now here, at sea level we don't have this kind of problem...
Old 7 Sep 2011, 03:37 (Ref:2951994)   #111
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Of course, even if the fire itself isn't near you, the smoke plume for a blaze of this size will cover a massive area. I'm sure air quality in and around Austin has gone to pit. So, doing much of anything outside, especially with the summer heat, isn't very advisable.
Old 7 Sep 2011, 13:06 (Ref:2952202)   #112
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
I'm not sure if anyone else has picked up on this, but the following article does not make good reading: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...ticle2154788/?

It's rather ponderously written and therefore hard work to read, but the facts seem to be clear enough.
Old 7 Sep 2011, 14:23 (Ref:2952236)   #113
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i imagine the race on this day was done for a reason. in the US Nascar races are for the most part on specialty sports channels, either Speed or ESPN (races on ESPN are shown on TSN in Canada - correct me if i am wrong on that) and generally air at a later time then F1 races in this hemisphere (Can & Brazil). if the F1 race is aired on Speed prior to the Nascar event then you have a captive market of every motor sports fan in the USA already sitting in front of their TV's waiting to watch some racing.

lets be honest, F1 is not huge in the US and they very much need to twin this event with something that draws viewers to the spectacle without overtly associating itself with another racing series. F1 will build slowly here and if lets say for arguments sake that 10% of those who turn into the Nascar finale opt to watch F1 (out of lets say curiosity) instead of Nascar prerace coverage then that must be a victory.

but for me, an F1 race, the Nascar season finale, Football and more football...its already marked on my calendar as one of the best tv sports days ever!
Old 7 Sep 2011, 14:28 (Ref:2952239)   #114
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
BobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
I'm not sure if anyone else has picked up on this, but the following article does not make good reading: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...ticle2154788/?

It's rather ponderously written and therefore hard work to read, but the facts seem to be clear enough.
I saw the article and I think he makes good points (also made by 10-tenths posters) about the downsides of a race in late November. I realize that the heat makes June less than ideal. Maybe March or April would be the best time for a race. Of course, the track won't be ready in early spring 2012, but maybe it could be moved for 2013.

Given that the NASCAR Sprint Cup title has been decided at the final race of the year in eight of the past 10 seasons, it would be a good bet to think that it will happen again in 2012 [on Nov. 18, same day as the F1 race]. So, NASCAR’s roughly 40 million diehard fans and several million more less rabid observers in the U.S. will likely be focused on Miami to see who claims the Cup championship.

That means most, if not all, of the top motorsport writers in the country will be assigned to Miami to cover the NASCAR finale. In addition, stock car stories will dominate Monday’s racing coverage, likely relegating F1 to the back of the sport section and the tail end of television and radio sports reports — and that’s assuming anyone actually notices there was a grand prix in Austin.

And it only gets worse. In football crazy Austin, the Texas Longhorns will play on Saturday during race weekend. It won’t matter whether the game happens at the University of Texas campus in Austin or on the road....A day later when the cars take their warm-up lap for Sunday’s race, the Dallas Cowboys and the Houston Texans will likely be kicking off their NFL games. [Most other NFL teams will play the same day. It's very hard to tear American fans away from watching NFL games on a Sunday in November.]
Old 7 Sep 2011, 14:32 (Ref:2952240)   #115
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
admittedly football is the bigger threat but its not so much of a threat that Nascar refuses to challenge it.

true they have been growing their market share for a lot longer but my guess is is that F1 is targeting Nascar fans more than they are going after Football fans.
Old 7 Sep 2011, 14:49 (Ref:2952247)   #116
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Joe Saward has joined in the debate with an interesting contribution.
Old 7 Sep 2011, 15:11 (Ref:2952252)   #117
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
haha great minds think alike...or maybe i am the real Joe Saward!

but he's right to say it might be clever. If F1 wants to be big in the US at some point it will have to take on Nascar and since heavyweights only fight other heavyweights better to get this fight done right away rather then limp carefully around the problem for the next 10 years only to find out that no one cares.
Old 7 Sep 2011, 15:35 (Ref:2952266)   #118
Spritle
Veteran

Spritle has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Despite the comments by some on the Globe/Mail site, I met more than a few NASCAR fans at Indy when the USGP was held there. They said they came to see what F1 was all about. Some attended every year, mostly because it wasn't a particularly expensive venue and they enjoyed the noise.

Unfortunately the tyre fiasco and Bernard's crass comments about "F1 not needing the US" and the fallout with Indy didn't help endear F1 to many casual US fans. Attendance dropped off steadily in the following years.

F1 could use some NASCAR fan passion if it hopes to create more US fans whether or not the European F1 fans think so. If they think that US racing fans are not important because 150,000 foreigners will fill the Austin grandstands for 10 years...

...they are dreaming.

I don't really know if this date will matter much to casual fans in the long run. I think the price tag for an Austin race weekend; three days before the biggest travel day in the US (Thanksgiving) in a near recession will be the biggest factor. Even the mighty NASCAR has experienced attendance drops in this economy with a much cheaper package price.

If the hotels and everybody else gouges in this weak economy and Bernie opens his big mouth or gets greedy sooner rather than later, F1 in the US will fizzle out again pretty quickly.
Old 7 Sep 2011, 17:25 (Ref:2952300)   #119
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid

Would a start time of 12:00 midday be a better start time for the US GP as it would avoid a direct clash with NASCAR?
This time would also work for live transmission to Europe.

Last edited by Bononi; 7 Sep 2011 at 21:56.
Old 7 Sep 2011, 23:42 (Ref:2952458)   #120
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
Joe Saward has joined in the debate with an interesting contribution.

I saw that strider, what would we do without Joe Saward?

Take a listen to his latest sidepodcast, The man is so so good...

http://sidepodcast.com/category/an-aside-with-joe

I know I am preaching to the choir telling you mate..
Old 8 Sep 2011, 04:50 (Ref:2952509)   #121
fasteric
Rookie

United States
DC Metro area
fasteric should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the Nascar race will take place at 3pm EST on ESPN with an hour lead in show,SPEED will have its usuall bloviating for 2 hours before that (Noon). FOX will have NFL on at 1 PM with its usuall bloviating at 12:30 so you can forget about live coverage on FOX. I'm betting on a live broadcast on Speed at 2pm. any Nascar fans that want to watch F1 will Tivo (DVR!) it for later, although Nascar fans have little interest in "Furin" racing...if it doesnt have fenders and the engine in front then its not a real race car (Indy fans will watch anything with wheels and have an interest in open wheel cars). Formula 1 in the US is a small niche sport and will remain so..smaller than tennis and soccer (the casual sports fan knows the Williams sisters and Federer and soccer is big with immigrants but nobody would know who lewis hamilton or even TGF are).
Austin is betting on 10k fans from the area and texas, 15k from
the rest of US, 25k from Mexico and 25k from outside North america for a crowd. As far as Texas football, Im sure with the connections from McComb the Longhorn will playing on the road that weekend.
Old 8 Sep 2011, 07:11 (Ref:2952527)   #122
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteric View Post
although Nascar fans have little interest in "Furin" racing...if it doesnt have fenders and the engine in front then its not a real race car
the ignorance is astounding.

not a snowballs chance in hell this race is going to impact the USA, NASCAR's season finale is taking place on the same day.
Old 8 Sep 2011, 08:21 (Ref:2952538)   #123
Carsandmotorracing
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland NZ
Carsandmotorracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with you Matt. I mean what a horrible date for the race to take place! I mean what were the odds it takes place on the NASCAR season finale.
Old 8 Sep 2011, 12:40 (Ref:2952686)   #124
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
the ignorance is astounding.

not a snowballs chance in hell this race is going to impact the USA, NASCAR's season finale is taking place on the same day.
Is this the idea ? To impact USA or to make a growing but steady fan base, year by year ?
Old 8 Sep 2011, 15:44 (Ref:2952774)   #125
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
BobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Preview of November 18, 2012: