Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 9 Feb 2004, 12:57 (Ref:868175)   #1
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Kimi: "We have problems with MP4-19"

Just read on various sites including itv-f1 that Kimi thinks the new car is in need of serious work, and that the engine doesn't 'suit' the car.

He also said that finding a decent setup at Barcelona was problematic.

F1-Live and planet-f1 have the same story.

This is surely distressing news, with less than a month to go before the start of the season.

However Mclaren are a big team, as much as i'd like to see Williams trash them, i'd still like Mclaren to be strong so we can have a 4 way scrap between the top teams.
Old 9 Feb 2004, 13:09 (Ref:868192)   #2
deeks6
Veteran

deeks6 User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Gosh, what a shame.

...and, perhaps a beat-up or sandbag?
Old 9 Feb 2004, 13:38 (Ref:868210)   #3
Redblurr
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redblurr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
oh dear
Old 9 Feb 2004, 13:46 (Ref:868220)   #4
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I believe it is sand-bagging, really.

I honestly believe that Mclaren, knowing its ability, is now sand bagging to throw their rivals off foot a bit. Remember, this Mclaren is essentially running as an upgraded and evolved MP18 which ran many miles. Engine integration wouldn't be much of a problem when they had already known the new car's dimensions and behavior... and what i find more strange is that Mclaren is having problems setting up their car in BARCELONA of all circuits...heck they had ran thousands of laps and knew it like the back of their hands...and suddenly, they got problems setting it up?

Nah... i don't believe they are in trouble unless they ARE in trouble in Melbourne.
Old 9 Feb 2004, 13:57 (Ref:868232)   #5
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The only vaguely plausible reason for problems at Barcelona relating to engine would be due to stiffness i reckon - if the new engine is lighter than ever (which I assume it is) they might be having the same gremlins that afflicted the Renault team for the best part of two years. Renault found he problem vry hard to work through and the results were unpredictable in nature.

I don't buy it though - sand bagging is my guess too. If they can lull Wiliams into holding back on development (in the belief that they have enough speed already and their time would therefore be better spent working on reliability) then perhaps they can get a head-start on them in the fly-away races.
Old 9 Feb 2004, 13:57 (Ref:868234)   #6
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Don't believe a word of it!

If they're significantly off the pace of the Williams and Ferrari at Melbourne, then I'll believe it.
Old 9 Feb 2004, 14:09 (Ref:868246)   #7
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Although I do remember reading on one of the online sites that Alex Wurz said that he found the car difficult to handle around Barcelona during one of the test days last week, he said that he "could not find a good rythm" in the car...
Old 9 Feb 2004, 14:20 (Ref:868252)   #8
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The car was reliable and quick a month ago. It's not going to have got slower or become unreliable. Who knows what they were testing - but I'm sure they'll be there or therabouts come Melbourne.
Old 9 Feb 2004, 14:32 (Ref:868268)   #9
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote from Kimi Raikkonen which suggests things are being blown out of proportion:

"For most of them [problems] we already have a solution, we just need to sort it all out in the remaining test sessions"
Old 9 Feb 2004, 14:33 (Ref:868270)   #10
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Unfortunatly we shall not know until Melbourne.

I beleive Kimi, but the trouble is as soon as someone says that all the reports infer that they are 4s off the pace. Is Kimi concerned about a tenth or a second. Are his concerns that they have jsut missed out on a little testing time due to the problems or dies he think it'll fall apart on the third lap! Who knows!

However these quotes are from a driver so surely he is hiding something and playing mind-games, or is that just Michael?

Last edited by Adam43; 9 Feb 2004 at 14:35.
Old 9 Feb 2004, 15:16 (Ref:868312)   #11
f1truestory
Racer

f1truestory has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
anway, they said there will be a new evolution engine, does anyone know when? not in the middle of season right
Old 9 Feb 2004, 15:22 (Ref:868321)   #12
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
My expectation is that they are not quite as near to their optimum perofrmance level as teams like BAR and Williams are, but they should be closer by Melbourne. The worst case could be a simialr situation to Williams last year - struggling a bit early in the year, but really catching up points-wise as the season goes on. The best case is that they are sandbagging and will surprise us all in Melbourne.
Old 9 Feb 2004, 16:52 (Ref:868424)   #13
speedbump
Racer

Canada
Toronto
speedbump should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mclaren are a srong team if there are problems they'll sort them out.
If there are problems with the car why would Kimi give negative PR. You say everything is fine and on track. Keep it positive.

I know it's really early but I wonder what Montoya is thinking if anything at all ?
Old 9 Feb 2004, 17:05 (Ref:868453)   #14
Kicking-back
Veteran

Maybe Kimi's just playing down expectations - and anyway he did say he expects things to be sorted at the next test.

McLaren's one of the teams you know will always be in with a decent shout.
Old 9 Feb 2004, 17:06 (Ref:868454)   #15
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's not McLaren's style. They do their sandbaging work like everyone else, but never did I hear them pointing at their aleged problems. They might have a little problem (hey, is testing, who doesn't?), but most probably is some journalist who couldn't fill his column this week.
Old 9 Feb 2004, 17:10 (Ref:868462)   #16
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
We've seen the cars pace was competitive......this is certainly sandbagging!
Old 9 Feb 2004, 17:16 (Ref:868472)   #17
speedbump
Racer

Canada
Toronto
speedbump should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's probably all it is sandbagging.
Couldn't agree more.
Old 9 Feb 2004, 17:36 (Ref:868503)   #18
Kicking-back
Veteran

Good that people here have got a sense of persepective.

Over at the Ferrari-and-Schumacher blinkered AtlasF1 forum they've virtually got McLaren fighting with Minardi!
Old 9 Feb 2004, 17:36 (Ref:868504)   #19
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
if they did have probs.. i dont think KIMI would be so open about it... tryin to th psyic out the opponents
Old 9 Feb 2004, 17:37 (Ref:868506)   #20
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That isn't surprising really!
Old 9 Feb 2004, 20:10 (Ref:868692)   #21
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Glen

I don't buy it though - sand bagging is my guess too. If they can lull Wiliams into holding back on development (in the belief that they have enough speed already and their time would therefore be better spent working on reliability) then perhaps they can get a head-start on them in the fly-away races.
I agree that McLaren could be sandbagging, but i don't think that this will lull Williams into holding back on reliability. The grove team have done as many, if not more full weekend simulations than the rest of the teams, so i believe that they can be confident of their reliability. If they are, then, imo, they will be going all out to gain as much advantage over McLaren (and Ferrari??) as possible.

The one problem i foresee for McLaren, if they are sandbagging is that, come the time they do want to stretch the car, reliability could suffer.

Roll on Melbourne.

Last edited by Mr V; 9 Feb 2004 at 20:11.
Old 9 Feb 2004, 20:35 (Ref:868715)   #22
Korr
Racer

Korr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Problems

Problems...
Attached Thumbnails
mp4.jpg  
Old 9 Feb 2004, 21:05 (Ref:868747)   #23
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Do you think that if they were sandbagging it would make any difference to Ferrari's or William's testing program?

Again, sometimes it is more prudent to take the quotes at face value! Excuse my cynicism about the cynisism.
Old 9 Feb 2004, 21:43 (Ref:868799)   #24
Kicking-back
Veteran

Yes, but if we are taking the quotes at face value, the most important part is:

"For most of them [problems] we already have a solution, we just need to sort it all out in the remaining test sessions"

It's just that journalists know that a bad news headline is more interesting than good news - hence making out that things are much worse than they really are.
Old 9 Feb 2004, 22:44 (Ref:868883)   #25
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmm, a chink in the armor?

I was thinking that BAR could crack the top 4, but now, maybe the top 3?

Danica Patrick