Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Closed Thread

Old 16 Aug 2009, 21:04 (Ref:2522576)   #1
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Jamesy-18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2010 rumour mill

Hi all,

Just wondered if anybody has heard any rumours regarding new teams/drivers/cars coming into the championship next year or any driver changes to the current grid?

Thanks!
Old 16 Aug 2009, 22:03 (Ref:2522619)   #2
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Nothing that I've heard although I'm sure some of our members will know more than me.

I guess we've got to say Herbert is a likely candidate for a 2010 Dyanmics seat!
Old 16 Aug 2009, 22:18 (Ref:2522623)   #3
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
No idea. And generally, the only people we'd trust at this point would be those already in the championship - and only then if they were Team Dynamics, West Surrey Racing, Triple Eight or Ray Mallock Ltd.

Dodgy game this touring cars.

- We expect Team Dynamics to be there - most certainly with the Civic again.
- We expect West Surrey Racing to be there if the RAC money stays, and with BMW's.
- We hope that Triple Eight will be there, running the old Vectra still - though whispers have been mentioned around Kia's.
- Don't expect Ray Mallock to be there unless a big sponsorship drive turns up. If it does, maybe in the 2009 WTCC Cruze's - it'll be good timing as the car will just be turning up here (so maybe with Chevrolet backing?).

Kia's and Chevrolet's, hmmm. Does that sound like the Scrappage Touring Car Championship to you?
Old 17 Aug 2009, 09:51 (Ref:2522842)   #4
GroupOfOne
Racer

GroupOfOne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Matt Hamilton is aiming for a full 2010 programme in the (old) Honda Civic, with the final two (or three) rounds of this year being a toe in the water/extended test session.

Think the key player in the silly season is Triple 8, once they've decided what they're doing/who they're running then other stuff will fall into place around that.
Old 17 Aug 2009, 11:42 (Ref:2522915)   #5
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That's presumably the Michael Doyle car, then?

I've not heard anything about 888 and Kias, but if they do it would obviously be with factory backing. Andy Jordan has a reasonable amount of personal sponsors (John Guest, Pirtek?), but if that would stretch to Gio or Matt Neal is another issue.

RML could stay, as I'd imagine Plato's now bringing budget and Jackson almost certainly is. If they get new backers on that is. The lack of live ITV1 coverage isn't helpful ...
Old 17 Aug 2009, 11:45 (Ref:2522918)   #6
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster View Post
That's presumably the Michael Doyle car, then?
It's the ex-Synchro car.
Old 17 Aug 2009, 12:28 (Ref:2522942)   #7
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazard View Post
No idea. And generally, the only people we'd trust at this point would be those already in the championship - and only then if they were Team Dynamics, West Surrey Racing, Triple Eight or Ray Mallock Ltd.

Dodgy game this touring cars.

- We expect Team Dynamics to be there - most certainly with the Civic again.
- We expect West Surrey Racing to be there if the RAC money stays, and with BMW's.
- We hope that Triple Eight will be there, running the old Vectra still - though whispers have been mentioned around Kia's.
- Don't expect Ray Mallock to be there unless a big sponsorship drive turns up. If it does, maybe in the 2009 WTCC Cruze's - it'll be good timing as the car will just be turning up here (so maybe with Chevrolet backing?).

Kia's and Chevrolet's, hmmm. Does that sound like the Scrappage Touring Car Championship to you?
What about Motorbase?There's a big feature about them in last week's Autosport magazine, surely they'll be back again?
Old 17 Aug 2009, 13:52 (Ref:2523009)   #8
Aunt Sally
Veteran

Aunt Sally should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
What about Motorbase?
Motorbase?

None of the forums seem to take Motorbase seriously for some reason. They get coverage in the mags, Autosport, good article last week, and Motorsport News. But no matter how hard they try, they just get ignored.

Anyway I would be really surprised if they didn't come back again with the BMW's in 2010.
Old 17 Aug 2009, 14:08 (Ref:2523024)   #9
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm not ignoring them. (See left!)
Old 17 Aug 2009, 14:21 (Ref:2523034)   #10
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
John Cleland is coming out of retirement to race a Vauxhall.

well no one said the rumours had to be truthful.
Old 17 Aug 2009, 16:31 (Ref:2523093)   #11
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_l View Post
John Cleland is coming out of retirement to race a Vauxhall.

well no one said the rumours had to be truthful.
They usually have to be at least a little believable though.

More chance him racing a Volvo really - or there'll be conflicts of interest!
Old 17 Aug 2009, 18:25 (Ref:2523157)   #12
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
What of a Volvo team though, seriously?

I noticed the course car C30's are provided by Volvo Cars UK so they obviously have some sort of interest in the BTCC.
Old 17 Aug 2009, 19:17 (Ref:2523178)   #13
gregc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedford
gregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A Volvo team has been rumoured since the middle of last season at least, complete with connections to John Cleland. Tom Onslow-Cole was talking about the possibility at Brands, he's been rumoured for the drive for some time now.

Will it actually happen? Anybody's guess...
Old 17 Aug 2009, 19:22 (Ref:2523180)   #14
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Mr Neal back to Team Dyanmics, well with Vauxhall pulling out, I think there is a good chance we might see that happen.
Old 17 Aug 2009, 20:39 (Ref:2523234)   #15
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjones View Post
Mr Neal back to Team Dyanmics, well with Vauxhall pulling out, I think there is a good chance we might see that happen.
Almost a certainty, with no salaried drives out there to be had - though he may need to give way if Team Dynamics actually have to run with an all paying line-up.
Old 17 Aug 2009, 20:43 (Ref:2523243)   #16
snowen250
Veteran

snowen250 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I disagree Hazard, they do have three cars dont forget. So we could see two pay + Matt.

I think RAC, Motorbase, TD will def be there, hopefully 888 and what about CZR?

Simon
Old 17 Aug 2009, 20:58 (Ref:2523258)   #17
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Jamesy-18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregc View Post
A Volvo team has been rumoured since the middle of last season at least, complete with connections to John Cleland. Tom Onslow-Cole was talking about the possibility at Brands, he's been rumoured for the drive for some time now.

Will it actually happen? Anybody's guess...
I believed they confirmed that they would race in 2010 at the start of this season, but they wanted this year to get sorted, build cars, hire drivers etc. I'm pretty sure we'll see a Volvo team, although no guarantee they'll be C30s, in the BTCC next year.
Old 17 Aug 2009, 21:07 (Ref:2523266)   #18
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Polestar already have a C30 project with Volvo backing going on in Sweden so surely customer cars from them are the logical option. Due to the BTCC-STCC homologation compact they're already homologated.
Old 17 Aug 2009, 21:37 (Ref:2523284)   #19
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowen250 View Post
I disagree Hazard, they do have three cars dont forget. So we could see two pay + Matt.

I think RAC, Motorbase, TD will def be there, hopefully 888 and what about CZR?

Simon
Good point about CWR / CVR - apart from the fact they seem to have three names - we've spent years mocking them as they promised to turn up but never did - and now they finally have they're making a decent go of it.

I imagine the reapperance of 'Clyde Valley Racing' is very dependant on the reappearance of 'Cartridge World' though. They could do with upgrading the second SEAT (Shedden/Eaves) car though - Knockhill has been it's best outing by far - I suspect a thorough search of that car will find it's got the innards of Jones car!

P.S. With TD - I'm sure they will run two pay + Matt as long as the two paying is enough to cover the running costs. We'll have to wait and see.
Old 17 Aug 2009, 21:38 (Ref:2523285)   #20
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Quote:
Polestar already have a C30 project with Volvo backing going on in Sweden so surely customer cars from them are the logical option. Due to the BTCC-STCC homologation compact they're already homologated.
Problem is anyone buying them's getting a car for a one season attack as NGTC starts to cross over from 2011. It's not a show stopper of course as there is a two year changeover period - some teams still built BTCC spec cars even when they knew S2000 was coming in - but it might put some off for certain.
Old 17 Aug 2009, 21:42 (Ref:2523289)   #21
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
Quote:
Problem is anyone buying them's getting a car for a one season attack as NGTC starts to cross over from 2011. It's not a show stopper of course as there is a two year changeover period - some teams still built BTCC spec cars even when they knew S2000 was coming in - but it might put some off for certain.
The phasein will be at least two years, and there's always the option of sticking a NGTC engine in the Polestar chassis (?).
Old 17 Aug 2009, 21:43 (Ref:2523292)   #22
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
Quote:
P.S. With TD - I'm sure they will run two pay + Matt as long as the two paying is enough to cover the running costs. We'll have to wait and see.
It's just twigged with me thats why they're running Herbert. Should a nice title sponsor come along it'll keep Neal Jr in employment.
Old 18 Aug 2009, 17:43 (Ref:2523833)   #23
Icebaby
Veteran

Icebaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend View Post
It's just twigged with me thats why they're running Herbert. Should a nice title sponsor come along it'll keep Neal Jr in employment.

Any sponsership will depend on results with Herbert over the next 3 rounds however if a sponser is looking at BTCC then the safe money is elsewhere for exposure..Plato,Gio, Turkington to name three.

Regarding the thread title its just to early to speculate, proberbly the week before the start of the 2010 season would be a good place to start. My only hunch is that Plato could be lined up in the WTCC to replace one of the current drivers.
Old 18 Aug 2009, 18:46 (Ref:2523874)   #24
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Quote:
The phasein will be at least two years, and there's always the option of sticking a NGTC engine in the Polestar chassis (?).
I believe I said that.
Old 18 Aug 2009, 20:23 (Ref:2523928)   #25
Ed Peters
Racer

Ed Peters should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
and there's always the option of sticking a NGTC engine in the Polestar chassis (?).
IF only it would be that simple... If you read the PROPOSED regs, the suspension and running gear will be 'standardised'! That means non-manufacturer standard!

SO, the current suspension layout would not be accepted for a NGTC entry!
Closed Thread