Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 5 Aug 2000, 14:23 (Ref:28505)   #1
Sparky
Veteran

Sparky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Strange one this, but I know you guys can help!

Which team occupied garage No.3 at Silverstone this year? And in what order? (3a, 3b and 3c)

I only ask 'cos my sweetheart daughter asked me that very question at last weeks RSOC meet at the circuit. As we stood in garage 3b, right in the position the car sits, waiting during qualifying etc, all eyes in our party turned to me for the obvious answer, and of course I answered: "Well, er... it was the... er... y'know the team that... er... dunno."

I know, I'll ask the gang!

So that's this afternoon's teaser.

Which team occupied Garge 3 at Silverstone for the 2000 GP.

As a matter of fact, if you know the complete list, please print it here. We visited all the garages, and you'd make a little girl very happy if dhe knew which was which. (Not to mention her Dad!! )

Old 5 Aug 2000, 14:29 (Ref:28507)   #2
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
ahhhhh thats a sweet story

sorry i have no idea by the way
Old 5 Aug 2000, 15:14 (Ref:28512)   #3
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Lovely story Sparky!

I can only guess at...Jordan? Sorry, best I can do.
Old 5 Aug 2000, 20:37 (Ref:28558)   #4
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Does the cicuit has a web site ?
That should help...
Old 5 Aug 2000, 21:19 (Ref:28566)   #5
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!

Silverstone has a website.
The address is http://www.silverstone-circuit.co.uk You might want to look there, Sparky.
Old 5 Aug 2000, 22:12 (Ref:28575)   #6
Sparky
Veteran

Thanks Guys! I've tried scouring the archive photos of a number of F1 sites, but none show enough detail, or indeed give a reference as to which garage is which (so I can work out team i.d. by going along the pitwall!)

I think a video of the 2000 British GP is in order.
Old 5 Aug 2000, 22:40 (Ref:28583)   #7
Sparky
Veteran

You never know...

Just to let you know, I've sent an email to Silverstone Circuit asking them this question.

This is what I sent:

Quote:
Hello,

I recently attended the RS Owners Club day at Silverstone circuit.
I spent some time in the pit garages, where the RSOC and a number of vendors had stands and displays.
When my family and friends were stood with me in garage 3a, my 11 year-old daughter asked me "So which driver had this garage for the British Grand Prix, Dad?"
I said I wasn't sure, but that each team had three garages, and that they held the two primary cars and the T-car, and all the equipment necessary to run a team.
We stood in the approximate spot where a car would stand during qualifying, and when I told my daughter this, she was fascinated to think of what had gone before, and it's relevance to where she stood.

I would be very pleased if you could give me a listing of which teams and drivers were allocated which garage, in order to satisfy my 11 year-old's thirst for knowledge.
Do the teams decide driver/garage allocation? (a, b or c?) Or is this an FIA decision?
I understand the teams position in the pitlane advances one garage every Grand Prix - Is this correct?
Does the winning constructor choose which garage they would like to start the season in?

Thank you for your hospitality on 30/07/00. We had a great day.

Regards,
Steve Cooper
I'll let you know if they respond...

Old 6 Aug 2000, 20:16 (Ref:28766)   #8
jvilleneuve2000
Racer

jvilleneuve2000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i have found the answer, in garge 3b it was...............

David Coulthard, i would put the photo up to prove it but i dont know how.
Old 6 Aug 2000, 20:27 (Ref:28770)   #9
Sparky
Veteran

Thanks JV! That'll make Mrs Sparky happy at least!

Thanks Chap! Where did you find that?

Where is the photo? Is it on the net, or in your possession?

If it's on the net, find the URL of the photo, then post it on this thread. If it's a 'real' photo, email it to me, and I'll post it!

Old 6 Aug 2000, 20:34 (Ref:28774)   #10
jvilleneuve2000
Racer

jvilleneuve2000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was a photo I took on the friday pit lane walkabout, if you give me your email addresse i will send it to you.
Old 6 Aug 2000, 20:43 (Ref:28777)   #11
Sparky
Veteran

There ya go, fella!

steve-cooper@beeb.net

Cheers!
Old 8 Aug 2000, 11:29 (Ref:29106)   #12
Sparky
Veteran

Hot off the press from Silverstone:

Quote:
Dear Mr Cooper,

Thank you for your e-mail, sorry it has taken a bit to get back to you.
In answer to your question, Formula One Management allocate garage numbers for all Grand Prix. The following were allocated at Silverstone:
Ferrari: 1A, 1B, 1C, 2A
McLaren: 2C, 3A, 3B, 3C
Jordan: 2B, 4A, 4B, 4C
Jaguar: 5A, 5B, 5C
Williams: 6A, 6B, 6C
Benetton: 7A, 7B, 7C
Prost: 8A, 8B, 8C
Sauber: 9A, 9B, 9C
Arrows: 10A, 10B, 10C
Minardi: 11A, 11B, 11C
BAR: 12A, 12B, 12C
It is a general rule of thumb that the team that won the constructor's title the previous season gets the first garages. It continues with the 2nd placed team gets the second and so on. This order does not change through the year.
I hope this satisfies your daughter's inquisition, and that you both continue to support Silverstone, we appreciate your kind comments.

Kind regards to you both,
Claire Williams

I was a little surprised to see the top teams with garages out of sequence..
Why do Jordan have to run two garage blocks away to grab spares? (2B, 4A, 4B, 4C)

And I had no idea that Ferrari, Jordan and McLaren had four garages...

I also thought that teams worked their way up the pitlane throughout the season... (?)

Now. Which driver had what?!

Old 8 Aug 2000, 11:37 (Ref:29110)   #13
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Two years ago we were racing at Silverstone and Macaroon were due to test on the following Monday. They had the garage open and we noticed that the floor was of a higher quality than the others.

Macaroon had laid their own (permanent) floor tiles to provide more cleanliness. The next season they had to do it all again because they'd won the championship and moved up the pitlane.

The pit garages are available to all competitors (depending on the race day) so it is possible to benefit from this facility. Who says Ron doesn't give anything back to the club racer?

Old 8 Aug 2000, 13:50 (Ref:29139)   #14
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At Australia, the pit garages go in the opposite way - ie. this year BAR and Minardi were at the start. But everywhere else, they are at the end. And yes, the allocation is in the order they finished the previous year's Constructor's Championship.

:confused:
Old 8 Aug 2000, 14:32 (Ref:29151)   #15
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Mallett

Macaroon had laid their own (permanent) floor tiles to provide more cleanliness...

...The pit garages are available to all competitors (depending on the race day) so it is possible to benefit from this facility. Who says Ron doesn't give anything back to the club racer?

True, but those lovely floor tiles have a very high polish. You have no idea how easy it is to go arse over tip on them if someone has spilled a little oil.

I certainly didn't, until a VSCC meeting this April. I suspect that both my feet actually left the ground before my derriere connected with the floor. Fortunately, the owner of the Delage in the pit stall was nowhere in sight, so I think I denied any onlooker a good laugh at my expense.