Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 2 Nov 2014, 00:53 (Ref:3470624)   #26
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
Turn one is where I will be watching Lewis spank him tomorrow....
You never know....
Old 2 Nov 2014, 05:11 (Ref:3470714)   #27
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yeah 26 cars would be great, but only if they're competitive. F1 has essentially only had an 18 car grid for a few years now anyway, and then there's the unnofficial class b race at the back. Another 4 teams racing in class b won't make things much more interesting.

Indycar only has 22 full season cars I think it is, but at least the field is closer, with the guys in 20th/21st actually winning a race and a runnerup. And then the guys in 22/23rd, not full time, but winning 5 races between them.

But for F1 I guess the next few teams in danger of leaving are Sauber and Lotus. I know they've been competitive in previous seasons, but in 2014 would they make a huge difference to the sport if they were here this year? Not really, just the next 2 at the back vanished. They've only scored 8 points combined this season and haven't had the budget to be competitive this year either. I think the F1 teams really need to try a bit harder at the cost-cutting idea.
Old 2 Nov 2014, 11:16 (Ref:3470806)   #28
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A depleted grid is still worse. They were trying to do it on a shoestring. The only area I agree with you on is how utterly uncompetitive they have been, but they came in on the basis that it would be a different Formula 1. Having said that Sauber and Lotus have been hopeless in terms of getting points this year. It's only now that a Sauber has got in the top ten in qualifying. What would be really a sign of something very bad would be if a team like Force India, punching above their weight, had to drop out.

Now let's see Rosberg beat him Hamilton in a straight battle. Williams are clearly strong here. Bottas is once again on it and Massa seems to go well here. I thought Red Bull would be a bit quicker. I would expect them to be strong in the first sector.

Last edited by Born Racer; 2 Nov 2014 at 11:30.
Old 2 Nov 2014, 12:34 (Ref:3470822)   #29
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Well - it could be. Or - it could be a Mercedes crash! Saying that - Nico was very impressive in qualifying - and I thought that the momentum had swung back to Lewis. We could have another Bahrain-like battle. Fingers crossed. Another possible scenario - Lewis copies Nico's attempt at Spa this year?

It looks like the Williams are going to runners-up here.

A possible outside chance of another Riccardio victory(he does start 5th). I know that power is needed for the uphill straight - but it's possible that his Red Bull will be mighty in the Esses.

Anyway, roll on Austin.
Old 2 Nov 2014, 14:18 (Ref:3470832)   #30
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzzor View Post
Yeah 26 cars would be great, but only if they're competitive. F1 has essentially only had an 18 car grid for a few years now anyway, and then there's the unnofficial class b race at the back. Another 4 teams racing in class b won't make things much more interesting.

Indycar only has 22 full season cars I think it is, but at least the field is closer, with the guys in 20th/21st actually winning a race and a runnerup. And then the guys in 22/23rd, not full time, but winning 5 races between them.

But for F1 I guess the next few teams in danger of leaving are Sauber and Lotus. I know they've been competitive in previous seasons, but in 2014 would they make a huge difference to the sport if they were here this year? Not really, just the next 2 at the back vanished. They've only scored 8 points combined this season and haven't had the budget to be competitive this year either. I think the F1 teams really need to try a bit harder at the cost-cutting idea.
Why would 26 cars need to be competitive? They don't need to be particularly competitive at the back.

What there needs to be - to complement real and radical cost cutting measures - is a constant supply of aspiring teams to replenish the grid when a backmarker team does leave the sport. F1 needs to have a certain baseline criteria for admission, OK, but otherwise entry requirements should be lowered.

So we arrive at a situation were one or two teams going out of the sport and F1 remains somewhat insulated from that.
Old 2 Nov 2014, 14:54 (Ref:3470839)   #31
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
If something does happen today involving Force India, Sauber, and/or Lotus, it won't be good for F1 in the US, especially since we already have had that one depleted grid race at Indianapolis back in 2005. Paying lip service to F1 here with talk of races in New York, and now Las Vegas, is a poor attempt to cover up if the actual race that is here falls on its face because of the sport's internal strife.

With Sauber, I'm not so certain, but could it be that Renault simply dropped much of their works support for Lotus this year?

And I know this item goes against the cost containment line, but if the engine freeze continues, is anyone, apart from Ferrari and Red Bull, going to be running something other than a Mercedes engine? If that happens, will any of those teams truly be getting the same spec engine as the works cars? What does that do to the grid? (Yes, I know Honda is coming, but that unit will have to prove a worthy rival to the Mercedes lump before it's given much consideration by potential customers.)
Old 2 Nov 2014, 15:16 (Ref:3470847)   #32
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
If something does happen today involving Force India, Sauber, and/or Lotus, it won't be good for F1 in the US, especially since we already have had that one depleted grid race at Indianapolis back in 2005. Paying lip service to F1 here with talk of races in New York, and now Las Vegas, is a poor attempt to cover up if the actual race that is here falls on its face because of the sport's internal strife.
That's what I was thinking. They've got this thing up and running only for it to be potentially scuppered and if it is, it will be a blow for F1 and OWR in the US.
Old 2 Nov 2014, 17:46 (Ref:3470867)   #33
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
That's what I was thinking. They've got this thing up and running only for it to be potentially scuppered and if it is, it will be a blow for F1 and OWR in the US.
The teams will not blow it up. What they wanted was to send a message to Bernie that they had to be taken seriously or they could destroy his sculptured model. He needs them as much as they need him.

There will be no deliberate hazing of the GP.
Old 2 Nov 2014, 18:43 (Ref:3470884)   #34
Iceman13
Racer

Finland
Vantaa, Finland
Iceman13 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Am I completely mistaken or did Bottas actually drive two identically quick laps in Q3? If true, that's some consistency. Must be the limit of the car then
Old 2 Nov 2014, 18:55 (Ref:3470887)   #35
IceMan_PJN
Racer

United States
Ohio
IceMan_PJN has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
I hope you're right, but every time Hamilton has a good run of wins something happens and Rosberg gets handed the championship again. I'm afraid mechanical issues are going to come into play again, once again gifting 2014 to Rosberg. If an issue doesn't send Hamilton to the garage, it will probably at least prevent him from taking the fight to Rosberg.
Old 2 Nov 2014, 19:03 (Ref:3470890)   #36
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceMan_PJN View Post
I hope you're right, but every time Hamilton has a good run of wins something happens and Rosberg gets handed the championship again. I'm afraid mechanical issues are going to come into play again, once again gifting 2014 to Rosberg. If an issue doesn't send Hamilton to the garage, it will probably at least prevent him from taking the fight to Rosberg.
You make it sound as if Rosberg has done nothing but rely on mechanical issues to stay in the title hunt! Up until Spa he'd had the mental edge on Hamilton, even if Hamilton has had the edge on raw pace and wheel to wheel combat. They've both been brilliant and awful and in the end this title fight has been one of the best.
Old 2 Nov 2014, 19:48 (Ref:3470900)   #37
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
There's a really good crowd at Austin. Can't see an empty seat.
Old 2 Nov 2014, 20:07 (Ref:3470906)   #38
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
A clean and uneventful start, with Nico in the lead, though an incident towards the end of the forst lap with Perez and Sutil and out comes the SC.
Old 2 Nov 2014, 20:16 (Ref:3470909)   #39
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Great overtake by Ricciardo on Alonso.
Old 2 Nov 2014, 20:42 (Ref:3470918)   #40
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Turned it off.

Hard to get excited about so few cars so spaced out on a Tilkedrome.
Old 2 Nov 2014, 20:45 (Ref:3470922)   #41
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Amazing stuff with Alonso and Button and Button comes out on top.

ps, Alonso got him back.
Old 2 Nov 2014, 21:04 (Ref:3470925)   #42
fergus_r
Veteran

United Kingdom
fergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Despite the car-park circuit and lack of cars, it's not a bad race so far.
Old 2 Nov 2014, 21:09 (Ref:3470926)   #43
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
20 laps to go, and Hamilton has just got the lead. I'm preparing my nails for their inevitable biting...
Old 2 Nov 2014, 21:16 (Ref:3470927)   #44
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Grosjean moaning that the astroturf *off the circuit* is all rucked up and bumpy. That's the bit (if I recall correctly) you're not supposed to run on...
Old 2 Nov 2014, 21:44 (Ref:3470937)   #45
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Congrats to Lewis on extending his lead.
Old 2 Nov 2014, 21:56 (Ref:3470943)   #46
TheNo1F1Fan
Veteran

Denmark
TheNo1F1Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNo1F1Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Another podium for Ricciardo!
Old 2 Nov 2014, 22:07 (Ref:3470944)   #47
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Fabulous race, some great drives and a great result.

Sadly, I fear we are just building to a double points farce the more races Hamilton wins.
Old 2 Nov 2014, 22:28 (Ref:3470952)   #48
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i think if vergne gets a slap for forcing grosjean off the track he should get it recinded (sp) for avoiding maldonado in kamikaze mode on the last lap
Old 2 Nov 2014, 22:33 (Ref:3470954)   #49
Beryl
Veteran

Beryl should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBeryl should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Maldonado drove fairly well actually. If that was Hamilton or Alonso, they'd be getting praised for overtaking firmly and getting a dog into the points, but Maldonado can't catch a break.

Massa now leads Bottas 6-5 when both finish. But Bottas is dominating him?
Old 2 Nov 2014, 22:44 (Ref:3470966)   #50
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Maldonado was indeed excellent, barring his penalty.