Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: What score do you give the race?
10 2 3.64%
9 4 7.27%
8 11 20.00%
7 15 27.27%
6 12 21.82%
5 4 7.27%
4 2 3.64%
3 2 3.64%
2 1 1.82%
1 2 3.64%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old 3 Nov 2014, 14:14 (Ref:3471188)   #26
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
It is one of the better of Tilke's Turkeys, the setting looks sterile and uniform, easy-run offs plague it but despite these turn-offs, I get it that it's the dimensions and trajectory of the track that makes that it raceable and it is a raceable track.

Still think Tilke should be barred from the sport and a restraining order issued to ensure he never, ever picks up a pen again!
The layout for the track was conceived by Tavo Hellmund and 1993 Motorcycle World Champion Kevin Schwantz, with the assistance of Tilke. Maybe it's the assistance that wasn't needed?
Old 3 Nov 2014, 15:15 (Ref:3471204)   #27
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Sorry Texas, but I do not rate it at all, just another Concrete & Crayons Tilke fest. Lots of space, totally featureless, and lacking anything resembling a corner.

I'm afraid that watching cars swerving around a lot of painted lines does not do it for me, the only danger anyone was in was of getting dust on their overalls when using the vast run-offs.

Having spent the day at a wet Silverstone watching club level racing, dodging showers, and talking to genuine people, I know where I was better off
COTA is not a Herman Tilke designed circuit. the basic track design and its corners were drawn out on a paper napkin by Tavo Hellmund and Kevin Schwantz so I am not so sure where you get that info from ?

I am not fortunate enough to have been to many other circuits, I am biased I suppose but I think COTA is an amazing facility. We get to see a lot of the race track depending on where you sit of course...

I met fans from all over the world, many from England and they were super impressed, they looked and sounded like real racing fans to me...
Old 3 Nov 2014, 15:31 (Ref:3471205)   #28
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
im a fan of the track. nice to see a modern race track built in a western nation which surpasses both aesthetically and conceptually tracks like Sochi, Abu Dhabi, India, Korea etc.

seeing it filled with people also cant be overstated either.

gave it a 7. lots of wheel to wheel up and down the field (did Button take a chop at Alonso? - hes a guy fighting for his job). only let down with Nico's seeming inability to take the race to Hammy. he does great in quali but disappears in races imo.

exactly what i needed to restore some measure of faith that this thing we love can be saved.
Old 3 Nov 2014, 15:38 (Ref:3471209)   #29
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
I know this thread is about *rate the race* so excuse that I digress,but the drivers seem to really enjoy the challenges given to them racing at COTA, I think that should be good enough for most of us, not everywhere can be Spa or Silverstone and I don't think it should be...
Old 3 Nov 2014, 16:23 (Ref:3471228)   #30
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Oh, I wish everywhere could be like Spa......

.... the old Spa........
Old 3 Nov 2014, 16:24 (Ref:3471229)   #31
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The most boring race I forced myself to watch start to finish. 3/10

Such a waste of my time.
Old 3 Nov 2014, 16:33 (Ref:3471238)   #32
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
"Not everywhere can be like Silverstone" - thank heavens! The most boring circuit in UK for a Club racer - the national circuit at least.....

Anyway, back on topic - not a classic but a good race with action throughout the field. Shame about the SC, and Perez reducing the field even further, but I still reckon the race merits a solid 7 - verging on 8.
Old 3 Nov 2014, 17:58 (Ref:3471258)   #33
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Oh, I wish everywhere could be like Spa......

.... the old Spa........
That would make today's drivers soil their underwear, and modern fans cringe in terror just to watch.

Bring it on!
Old 3 Nov 2014, 18:37 (Ref:3471278)   #34
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It must be said - that's a fascinating range of scores.
Old 3 Nov 2014, 19:54 (Ref:3471308)   #35
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
That would make today's drivers soil their underwear, and modern fans cringe in terror just to watch.

Bring it on!
If only.....
Old 3 Nov 2014, 21:08 (Ref:3471336)   #36
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
It must be said - that's a fascinating range of scores.
It shows that we all have different ideas as what constitutes a good race.

Interesting to see the diverse opinions, and to disagree with some.*

*All right! In my case most.
Old 3 Nov 2014, 23:51 (Ref:3471396)   #37
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

Bring it on!
I wish but there's always rFactor.
Old 5 Nov 2014, 09:14 (Ref:3471767)   #38
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I wish but there's always rFactor.
Oh yes, the old Spa in 1965 GP cars - I just love it....... But we digress
Old 5 Nov 2014, 13:55 (Ref:3471821)   #39
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've sort of got mixed opinions on the race - it was better than last year's - but no where near as good as 2012 with the epic Hamilton versus Vettel battle. That was probably the best race of the 2012 season.

I admit the Alonso and Button battle was pretty good. As was Riccardio dicey overtakes. Not forgetting the feisty Vergne. I think we sort of lost a lot of the tension in the race because of the way the Rosberg and Hamilton fight was shown - when it came it lacked the drama of the other battles.

A fairly good 6 from me.

As for the track, well, I quite like it. Hey, I'm no fan of Tilke, by the way. His only other decent track is Sepang. This track has elevation change, interesting first corner, superb esses section and a really good flow to it. I know it has huge run-offs(and I suppose something has to be done to turn 15) - but it does seem like a lot more effort was put into this track.
Old 5 Nov 2014, 19:35 (Ref:3471967)   #40
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Hi, my post was not aimed at comparing Silverstone with Austin as a circuit, merely that I prefer what I think of as 'honest' racing as opposed to the 'manufactured excitement of Eff Wun'. Silverstone used to be considered an 'airfield circuit' when compared with Spa, Nurburgring, Zandvoort etc. Nowadays when compared with any of Tilkes C&C nightmares it looks fabulous.

One's opinion of circuits, races, drivers is coloured by one's past experiences of such things. Being closer to 80 than 70 means my perspective is broader than most. It is best to ignore my comments as just the ramblings of a Silly Old Fool. A title I am happy to own too.

Kind regards,

Bauble.
Fair enough Bauble, and thanks for the clarification. Not a lot stands up to some of the epically long tracks of the past. However, in the space they had and within the remit, I think the track designers did a superb job and I personally thought the scraps for the lower points placings entertaining.

Perhaps my ten was a bit OTT as there are clearly more amazing races, but it was an emotional judgement and what is appreciation of motorsport if not pure feeling and subjective interpretation?
Old 5 Nov 2014, 20:09 (Ref:3471987)   #41
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
Fair enough Bauble, and thanks for the clarification. Not a lot stands up to some of the epically long tracks of the past. However, in the space they had and within the remit, I think the track designers did a superb job and I personally thought the scraps for the lower points placings entertaining.

Perhaps my ten was a bit OTT as there are clearly more amazing races, but it was an emotional judgement and what is appreciation of motorsport if not pure feeling and subjective interpretation?
Yes BR, I saw my first motor race on the Isle of Man in 1951, all on public roads, and my first GP at Silverstone in 1952. In various races I have seen and heard V16 BRM, 1951 V12 Ferraris, Maserati 250F, etc, and seen drivers wearing tee shirts in the cockpit, So my perspective on the USA GP is skewed in comparison with anyone who might have only seen racing over 5/10 years.

I understand why some rate it highly as it probably compares well with many of the races we have seen at places like Abu Dhabi, Sochi etc.,

One advantage of being old is one is always right, because who listens to the kids anyway.
Old 7 Nov 2014, 01:18 (Ref:3472381)   #42
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Back in my day...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Novella
When someone looks at me and earnestly says, “I know what I saw,” I am fond of replying, “No you don’t.” You have a distorted and constructed memory of a distorted and constructed perception, both of which are subservient to whatever narrative your brain is operating under.

http://theness.com/neurologicablog/i...ory/#more-6849
While the racing from past eras was much better than what we get now, it is also quite likely that it never happened.