Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 27 May 2013, 18:32 (Ref:3254136)   #101
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's the journey, not the destination.
Old 27 May 2013, 18:39 (Ref:3254141)   #102
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
If a reg flag rule were to have been used, the cars could have been brought into the pits with 5th laps remaining and the track cleared. The cars would then have been brought back out, on one lap under yellow, then out with the green flag and you still have three laps left and the cars will still have done 500 miles; simples, .

Last edited by bjohnsonsmith; 27 May 2013 at 18:44.
Old 27 May 2013, 18:59 (Ref:3254146)   #103
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Estimated Attendance: 200,000 (2012 was 220,000)

T.V. Figures should be out today, that's whats most important.
Old 27 May 2013, 19:37 (Ref:3254169)   #104
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
The race is always held on the Sunday before Memorial Day.
Seriously it didn't even register with me at all. I was thinking about Monaco and the Isle of Man TT coming up and had V8 Supercars on my mind from Austin. No mention in the media at all, not a thing about who was on pole or who won and no mention from any friends either. Still haven't seen any mention of it, not even on my Autosport app on my phone. Only place I have heard about it was here.
Old 27 May 2013, 19:39 (Ref:3254173)   #105
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
Seriously it didn't even register with me at all. I was thinking about Monaco and the Isle of Man TT coming up and had V8 Supercars on my mind from Austin. No mention in the media at all, not a thing about who was on pole or who won and no mention from any friends either. Still haven't seen any mention of it, not even on my Autosport app on my phone. Only place I have heard about it was here.
I'm surprised it's not on the Autosport app.
Old 27 May 2013, 20:02 (Ref:3254181)   #106
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Record Low Overnight TV Rating for Indy 500 at 3.8, down from 4.1 last year, and 4.3 in 2011.
Old 27 May 2013, 20:16 (Ref:3254194)   #107
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I guess I will write that off to - people don't know what they are missing!
Old 27 May 2013, 20:18 (Ref:3254196)   #108
Mechanic Z
Veteran

United States
Mos Eisley
Mechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRspitfirefan View Post
The Duck Dynasty Dude at the Nascar race, did a much better job.
+1

Glad to see Kanaan finally win one! Pretty enjoyable race this year.
Old 27 May 2013, 21:25 (Ref:3254230)   #109
DS"
Veteran

Germany
Germany
DS" should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCosworthPanoz View Post
Record Low Overnight TV Rating for Indy 500 at 3.8, down from 4.1 last year, and 4.3 in 2011.
But if I read correctly, the Coke 600 has just drawn a 1.9, with approx. 7 million viewers watching. Obviously, the Coke 600 must have drawn less viewers in front of the TV than the Indy 500, right? On the other hand, I don't really understand the US system of tv ratings.

See here: http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...-smash/184370/
Old 28 May 2013, 00:26 (Ref:3254287)   #110
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Here is what the payouts were for the drivers based on their finishing positions.
http://www.imscdn.com/indycar_media/...ox%20Score.pdf
Quite the payday for Munoz if he gets to keep any of it.
Old 28 May 2013, 07:13 (Ref:3254351)   #111
Lazyking
Rookie

United States
Lazyking should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS" View Post
But if I read correctly, the Coke 600 has just drawn a 1.9, with approx. 7 million viewers watching. Obviously, the Coke 600 must have drawn less viewers in front of the TV than the Indy 500, right? On the other hand, I don't really understand the US system of tv ratings.

Tvbythenumbers doesn't post the full rating points.. the 1.9 is just the 18-49 year old demo.. meaning the overall rating point is higher.. with 7 million viewers, it's probably the same as the 500.
Old 28 May 2013, 07:25 (Ref:3254357)   #112
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
If a reg flag rule were to have been used, the cars could have been brought into the pits with 5th laps remaining and the track cleared. The cars would then have been brought back out, on one lap under yellow, then out with the green flag and you still have three laps left and the cars will still have done 500 miles; simples, .
They tried that at Fontana last year, there was another crash after the restart and the race finished under caution anyway....

I think you just take the good finishes with the bad, its a 200 lap race and thats that, green flag finish or yellow.

I thought it was a shame it finished under yellow but i thought overall it was a good show, & it was fitting that Kanaan won the race, as it was only really he and Marco who willing to 'race' all day, they kept going to the front every chance they got for most of the race.
Old 28 May 2013, 12:45 (Ref:3254495)   #113
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Saw the finish to the Freedom 100 for the first time about 1/2 an hour ago. Unbelievable!
Old 28 May 2013, 14:00 (Ref:3254514)   #114
Rookie

962 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69 View Post
They tried that at Fontana last year, there was another crash after the restart and the race finished under caution anyway....

I think you just take the good finishes with the bad, its a 200 lap race and thats that, green flag finish or yellow.

I thought it was a shame it finished under yellow but i thought overall it was a good show, & it was fitting that Kanaan won the race, as it was only really he and Marco who willing to 'race' all day, they kept going to the front every chance they got for most of the race.
First congrats To TK!

I think the debate over the race finnishing under yellow is rediculous, i can't stand the green white checker in tin tops and i would hate to see it in Indycar. All the green white checker or whatever you want to call it does is put the drivers in a position where they have no choice but to make stupid moves and it usually results in another caution anyway.
Old 28 May 2013, 14:03 (Ref:3254515)   #115
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Maple (yes really), Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Was this guy doing the prayer?:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J74y88YuSJ8

Oh ye gods. Thanks for that. Got all the sponsors AND his "smokin' hot wife" in there too.
Old 28 May 2013, 15:01 (Ref:3254539)   #116
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Glad to see Kanaan finally had won Indy 500!
Old 28 May 2013, 15:59 (Ref:3254566)   #117
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
I'm impressed with the mature and philosophical attitude to the yellow flag finish that is on display here. Well done.
Old 28 May 2013, 16:52 (Ref:3254600)   #118
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69 View Post

They used the red flag at Fontana in 2002 successfully.

The thing with oval racing is its unpredictability and what ever system you use will never be entirely satisfactory. It was a shame the 500 ended under a yellow but that was eclipsed by TK win; it was for me.
Old 28 May 2013, 17:06 (Ref:3254612)   #119
Scooter185
Racer

United States
Connecticut
Scooter185 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
They used the red flag at Fontana in 2002 successfully.

The thing with oval racing is its unpredictability and what ever system you use will never be entirely satisfactory. It was a shame the 500 ended under a yellow but that was eclipsed by TK win; it was for me.
I'm happy TK won, but the finishing under yellow just left a bad taste in my mouth. I was unhappy with it last year too, but this year really irked me.
Old 28 May 2013, 17:15 (Ref:3254615)   #120
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
One has to wonder - If they had the same crew that does the broadcasts on NBCSN would that have helped the ratings at all? Marty Roth is terrible and I wanted to reach through the TV and grab Cheever by the throat, it was hard to listen to him. For the "Greatest Spectacle in Racing" they sure have amateur hour in the booth.
Old 28 May 2013, 17:26 (Ref:3254621)   #121
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS" View Post

Despite two red flags and a ridiculous ending time the Coca Cola 600 got a 4.1 overnight same as last year and will Increase from overnight to final due to NASCAR's very spread out and rural fanbase.

Judging by recent trends, Indy will likely end up between a 3.5 and 4.0. So Charlotte has likely won the ratings war yet again.

1.9 is key demos.
Old 29 May 2013, 00:12 (Ref:3254780)   #122
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
The cars are too unimpressive looking. I take on board that they are very racey and give action that is often superior to NASCAR but the cars just looked ludicrous at the mighty speedway. Fat and plasticy. Something the kids might muck about in. I think the distinction was stressed when they showed an historical montage between the muscular beasts of yesteryear and the plastic life rafts we've got today.

And even if they got a variety of impressive, muscular looking cars tomorrow it's very far from guaranteed to get people who have abandoned Indycar back into it. It's not like maintaining an existing fanbase which is a tough task at that.
Old 29 May 2013, 00:28 (Ref:3254783)   #123
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
The cars are too unimpressive looking. I take on board that they are very racey and give action that is often superior to NASCAR but the cars just looked ludicrous at the mighty speedway. Fat and plasticy. Something the kids might muck about in. I think the distinction was stressed when they showed an historical montage between the muscular beasts of yesteryear and the plastic life rafts we've got today.

And even if they got a variety of impressive, muscular looking cars tomorrow it's very far from guaranteed to get people who have abandoned Indycar back into it. It's not like maintaining an existing fanbase which is a tough task at that.
I think Miles is aware of the situation, which I believe is why he brought Walker on board. An increase in interest will translate into more TV viewers and track attendance and more advertising but none of this is a given. There has to be a positive impetus from the IRL it self.
Old 29 May 2013, 04:39 (Ref:3254813)   #124
Lazyking
Rookie

United States
Lazyking should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do people really care that much about the appearance of the car to stop watching? I would think as long as the action was good, it wouldn't really matter.. I'm a casual indycar fan who has enjoyed the racing so much this year, I've become a bigger fan. I think casual fans if they watched five mins of the 500 would have stayed.

Now, could the look be improved? without a doubt.
Old 29 May 2013, 13:06 (Ref:3254999)   #125
DS"
Veteran

Germany
Germany
DS" should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Judging by recent trends, Indy will likely end up between a 3.5 and 4.0. So Charlotte has likely won the ratings war yet again.
But not by a large margin, as it seems. The potential for good ratings is there. If only the NBC Sports Network would score much higher ratings, or IndyCar got somehow back to ESPN, things would look more bright for the series.

Thanks for explaining the ratings, by the way.