Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 29 Aug 2012, 08:12 (Ref:3126740)   #226
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigears View Post
I have decided to do a big push for information, photos and even video footage of the BTCC cars at the Birmingham Superprix.

I have just contacted ITV Archives and ITV Central for information and even a copy of the practice session at the 1988 Birmingham Superprix.

I am wondering who is the initials of 'G.D.' who wrote the BTCC report in the Motoring News? So I can try to track him down or contact Simon Arron and I could try asking him nicely.

I will have a go contacting Aquith Autosport and see what I can dig out from the owner about the practice times. Same for Jerry Mahony as well.

Is Terry Drury still around? He got his own website: www.terrydrury.com but seems it hasn't been updated for about 10 years.

I have asked Alan Minshaw through his son but he can't remember anything at the time.

Any more team owners or even drivers I could contact?
I guess a few obvious ones would be Chris Hodgetts (had been on here in past), Tim Harvey, Nick Whale, Dave Loudon in Evesham (his garage is still there). Chris and Tim are definitely also on FB as they have been into the Group A group ocassionally.
Old 30 Aug 2012, 15:47 (Ref:3127429)   #227
bigears
Racer

United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
bigears should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have contacted Andy Rouse and Jerry Mahony and they got nothing on the practice session. Although they have suggested with some leads for me to look at.

I will try asking the BRSCC, I am sure they got it somewhere. I will continue asking other drivers as well.

Any idea on the initials of 'G.D' the Motoring News reporter?
Old 30 Aug 2012, 18:41 (Ref:3127520)   #228
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Gwyn Dolphin I think was the guy?
Old 1 Sep 2012, 15:43 (Ref:3128266)   #229
bigears
Racer

United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Gwyn Dolphin I think was the guy?
I have found an email address and I have contacted him.

I have also emailed Graham Goode and ITV Sport Archives and they will try to see if they can help me with more information about the Birmingham Superprix round.
Old 17 Sep 2012, 20:43 (Ref:3137450)   #230
bigears
Racer

United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
Looking less likely there will be footage from ITV Sport Archives and Central TV about the Birmingham Superprix footage.

My best bet is Barrie Hinchcliffe Productions Sport (BHP Sport) but they gone bust 10 years ago. So where would all of the footage go?

Also as the race was cancelled and it was supposed to be broadcast for Grandstand on 8th October so I am not sure if the BBC would obtain footage of the qualifying session.

Any advice or suggestions?
Old 18 Sep 2012, 10:00 (Ref:3137695)   #231
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Looking less likely there will be footage from ITV Sport Archives and Central TV about the Birmingham Superprix footage.

My best bet is Barrie Hinchcliffe Productions Sport (BHP Sport) but they gone bust 10 years ago. So where would all of the footage go?

Also as the race was cancelled and it was supposed to be broadcast for Grandstand on 8th October so I am not sure if the BBC would obtain footage of the qualifying session.

BHP, or some of the people involved set something up a couple of years back called motorsportvideo or something

They were involved in some of the footage for that fairly average 50 years of the BTCC DVD in 2009, which promised so much more than it delivered.

I'll look up the link and see if it still exists.

Last edited by chunterer; 18 Sep 2012 at 10:06.
Old 18 Sep 2012, 13:35 (Ref:3137823)   #232
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

Unfortunately most of the live content transmitted by the ITV companies and the BBC up to the early 1990s was junked. Sad and disgraceful, but there you go. Your main hope will be somebody who did a VHS recording. You might want to make contact with my compatriot 'inquisitor229' on youTube. He has a lot of stuff on VHS and may be able to help you out. See here.
Old 18 Sep 2012, 19:40 (Ref:3138037)   #233
bigears
Racer

United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
But the BTCC footage was never broadcasted at all so I am not sure if the YouTube guy would have got the footage.

I might try the motorsportvideo with their BTCC collection.

Doe anyone know where is Spencer Hall nowadays? He was the organiser of the BTCC in 1987 and 1988, not sure about the other years though.
Old 19 Sep 2012, 06:59 (Ref:3138234)   #234
Andy Clegg
Racer

Andy Clegg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've got the 1988,1989,1990 BTCC season videos. There's nothing on those.
Old 10 Feb 2021, 21:59 (Ref:4034580)   #235
bigears
Racer

United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
I am looking for John Llwellyn as he is/was a promotions consultant and lived in Banbury.

Apparently, he passed away in 2017 according to this website: https://www.banburycake.co.uk/announ...ES__DECEASED_/

Is that correct?

Last edited by bigears; 10 Feb 2021 at 22:09.
Old 11 Feb 2021, 08:50 (Ref:4034643)   #236
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I almost feel if John Llewellyn had died we would have heard about it, so it would be a major shock if that was true
Old 24 Feb 2021, 11:36 (Ref:4036603)   #237
bigears
Racer

United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesper OH View Post
Round 11 of 13 of the 1988 Dunlop RAC British Touring Car Championship scheduled for Monday 29th August 1988 over 20 laps of the 3.975 km Birmingham street circuit. Race cancelled due to delays in the meeting.

Most information taken from 8W: http://8w.forix.com/bsp-88.html

Grid:
pos.class#EntrantDriverCarClassTime
1.1.6Eggenberger MotorsportSteve SoperFord Sierra RS500 CosworthA1:36.48
2.2.22Kaliber FordAndy RouseFord Sierra RS500 CosworthA1:37.97
3.3.21Kaliber FordGuy EdwardsFord Sierra RS500 CosworthA1:39.96
4.4.19Baynard Cars LimitedLaurence BristowFord Sierra RS500 CosworthA1:40.07
5.5.12Herbie ClipsTom WalkinshawHolden Commodore VL/SSAno info
6.6.16Duckhams Racing with Karl JonesKarl JonesFord Sierra RS500 CosworthA1:40.35
7.7.10Industrial Control Services plcRobb GravettFord Sierra RS500 CosworthAno info
8.8.5Terry Drury RacingTim HarveyFord Sierra RS500 CosworthAno info
9.9.    Ano info
10.1.33BMW Finance Racing with Mobil 1Frank SytnerBMW M3B1:41.94
14. 34BMW Finance Racing with Mobil 1James WeaverBMW M3Bno info
17. 32BMW Finance Racing with Mobil 1Mike SmithBMW M3Bno info
?1.55John Maguire Racing-David Sutton MotorsportJames SheadVW Golf GTI 16VCno info
?1.70TOM'S GB LimitedPhil DowsettToyota Corolla FX/GTDno info
?2.69MIL MotorsportJohn LlewellynToyota Corolla GTDno info
??36Godfrey Hall LimitedGodfrey HallBMW M3Bno info
??1Shell-Toyota-MILMark HalesToyota Supra TurboAno info
??7AutoglassMike O'BrienHolden Commodore VL/SSAno info

BTW, I owe you guys a big thank you for keep posting last night. It made for quite a lot of updates to my notes today – wonderfull!

Jesper
This post was created in January 2010 and it has been an engima for me for years to find the complete qualifying timesheets. I have contacted some people from BRSCC, RACMSA, Birmingham City Council and some ex-BTCC drivers until I found a team-owner who ran his car at the 1988 Birmingham Superprix.

The timesheets arrived in the post this morning and I have finally got it! I will do my best to fill in the gaps later today and someone could put it up in the table above please?
Old 30 Oct 2023, 12:43 (Ref:4183699)   #238
Andrew Abbott
Racer

England
Shrewsbury
Andrew Abbott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
This post was created in January 2010 and it has been an engima for me for years to find the complete qualifying timesheets. I have contacted some people from BRSCC, RACMSA, Birmingham City Council and some ex-BTCC drivers until I found a team-owner who ran his car at the 1988 Birmingham Superprix.

The timesheets arrived in the post this morning and I have finally got it! I will do my best to fill in the gaps later today and someone could put it up in the table above please?
Hi Bigears, did you ever get around to recording this information? I'd quite like to complete the qualifying data record at TouringCars.Net as well if you are able to share the data. What I have is here: https://www.touringcars.net/database...ing.php?id=668
Old 6 Nov 2023, 01:57 (Ref:4184670)   #239
bigears
Racer

United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
I will have a look this week and find the timesheets and I will post here the gaps such as drivers, places, times and gaps.
Old 12 Nov 2023, 11:49 (Ref:4185568)   #240
tocatrucky
Racer

United Kingdom
Lane 1 of the A1M
tocatrucky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm currently reading Fluxie's book and he mention his time with MIL's Supra and Vic Lee's involvement, what did exactly did Vic have to do with MIL? Owner?
Old 12 Nov 2023, 17:20 (Ref:4185600)   #241
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tocatrucky View Post
I'm currently reading Fluxie's book and he mention his time with MIL's Supra and Vic Lee's involvement, what did exactly did Vic have to do with MIL? Owner?
I don't know if he had any involvement in running the team, but VL drove the second car when it appeared a few rounds in (Round 5, Thruxton I think?), and shared the No.1 Hodgetts car at the early-season Donington 1-hour race.

Mark Hales and Fluxie took over the Hodgetts car when Chris parted company with MIL mid-season, and the no.2 Lee car didn't finish the season either- looking at the results I have, it last appeared at Brands, where Fluxie was in the no.1 car
Old 13 Nov 2023, 23:26 (Ref:4185767)   #242
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA View Post
I don't know if he had any involvement in running the team, but VL drove the second car when it appeared a few rounds in (Round 5, Thruxton I think?), and shared the No.1 Hodgetts car at the early-season Donington 1-hour race.

Mark Hales and Fluxie took over the Hodgetts car when Chris parted company with MIL mid-season, and the no.2 Lee car didn't finish the season either- looking at the results I have, it last appeared at Brands, where Fluxie was in the no.1 car
Trying to recall how many drivers pedalled those cars?

Without checking back through the thread, I think the original line up was going to be Alex Moss and Rad Dougall but Hodgetts actually took the helm of the latter car.
Old 14 Nov 2023, 12:43 (Ref:4185831)   #243
Andrew Abbott
Racer

England
Shrewsbury
Regarding MIL Motorsport competitors in 1988:

Chris Hodgetts completed the first 6 races in a Supra, before departing.
Vic Lee joined the fray for Rounds 5 to 10 in presumably a second Supra throughout.

Mark Hales I guess took over Hodgetts car for Rounds 7 to 9 and 11/12.
Ian Flux drove a Supra, I'm guessing the same car as Hales, for Rounds 10 and 13.

John Llewellyn raced a Toyota Corolla for Rounds 7 to 13.

All race results / best lap times / qualifying results here, with one exception - the 1988 Superprix qualifying times (hopefully Bigears can help): https://www.touringcars.net/database...BTCC&year=1988
Old 14 Nov 2023, 13:22 (Ref:4185843)   #244
bigears
Racer

United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
Quote:
I will have a look this week and find the timesheets and I will post here the gaps such as drivers, places, times and gaps.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image (34).jpg
Views:	17
Size:	888.2 KB
ID:	78323

Finally I have managed to scan the exclusive BTCC qualifying times from the 1988 Birmingham Superprix!

Credits to Richard Asquith for giving me a copy of the timesheets.
Old 14 Nov 2023, 19:39 (Ref:4185885)   #245
Andrew Abbott
Racer

England
Shrewsbury
That's superb, thanks for sharing this bigears.

Now also incorporated into the TouringCars.Net database.
Old 3 Dec 2023, 14:28 (Ref:4188140)   #246
Speedy norm
Racer

Speedy norm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
https://www.youtube.com/live/yJ8FteNHmIk?si=kW53IMJeMv9vHJtC
Apologies if anyone has already posted an interesting interview with Frank Sytner.

Tags
btcc, group a