Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 18 Jan 2018, 06:06 (Ref:3793491)   #301
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
Outside Garry, there is long time journalist & race goer Mike Jacobson who used to work for Auto Action, Racing Car News etc etc?? Perhaos that is who the reference is to?
Thanks, now that you say that i remember the "discussion" with Mike

I was thinking it was Garry's dad when he said it, But your line of thinking makes more sense
Old 10 Apr 2018, 23:54 (Ref:3814755)   #302
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Last comment on F5000 seemed to be that the project was awaiting some rulings from CAMS.
Is this happening?
And if they are looking at " late season", when and where?
Old 1 Jun 2018, 23:04 (Ref:3826140)   #303
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
2019 Series Start Now...

Is it dead?

Interestingly one of the backers of this project is now the naming rights partner of the F4 championship....
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 2 Jun 2018, 10:41 (Ref:3826184)   #304
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post

Wouldn't go that far YET. With the conflict regarding the chassis and engine options, 2018 was always longshot target, even for a late-year debut with a short season. I personally never expected it to materialize before 2019 - though I did HOPE that the car/engine package would be decided by March and the ball could get rolling on at least a single exhibition race.

That said, I will not be at all surprised if it does die.

Also, if it DOES happen, I hope this line is accurate:

"Speedcafe.com understands the series is leaning towards the Formula Thunder 5000 car"
Old 2 Jun 2018, 14:10 (Ref:3826213)   #305
Jam3s
Racer

Jam3s should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's part is true, the super5000 version of the car is dead as it should be for a joke of a product. Last I heard this car was going through the process of signing off from a chassis perspective but I believe that can often be clouded in a lot of bureaucracy as the FIA are apparently involved, hence the delays.
Old 4 Jun 2018, 10:07 (Ref:3826704)   #306
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Aren't they still trying to develop hybrid technology for the cars??
Old 20 Aug 2018, 22:19 (Ref:3845086)   #307
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame

M
Old 20 Aug 2018, 22:27 (Ref:3845087)   #308
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:

M

Hey, Onroak needs more sales considering there are only 4 cars in F3 Americas. :P

In all seriousness, if this isn't a joke it might actually be a good idea. The F3 Americas chassis is apparently pretty solid, so it could very well be a good base for such a series, and we KNOW it will have good backing.

Based on available information, it's certainly more suited to being an F5000 car than the ladder car the SCCA wants it to be. The car itself may be solid, but the performance relative to it's price with the engine package it was given is.....problematic, to put it mildly.

Last edited by FormulaFox; 20 Aug 2018 at 22:33.
Old 21 Aug 2018, 01:24 (Ref:3845104)   #309
champcarman
Veteran

champcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchampcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I thought the Swift chassis used by Borland/Lambden was economically the wat to go. The Onroak car will be a more modern thing though and is equipped with a Halo so will be safer making it more attractive to young drivers and their fathers I suppose.
Old 21 Aug 2018, 03:34 (Ref:3845108)   #310
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by champcarman View Post
I thought the Swift chassis used by Borland/Lambden was economically the wat to go. The Onroak car will be a more modern thing though and is equipped with a Halo so will be safer making it more attractive to young drivers and their fathers I suppose.
The one thing I think works against the Swift chassis was that because of who was behind it, there may not have been enough of a support base to alleviate the concerns of the backers and prospective participants. At the very least, it's less likely to have as good of a support base as Onroak could provide.

That might go for the Super5000 design as well - both cars would probably have a better support base than I'm picturing in my mind, but I doubt either would hold a candle to what Onroak can offer - and that's the important part.

As an aside, from my observation, public support seemed to favor the Swift-derived FT5000 from the moment the final version(with the more appropriate airbox) had it's demo. Though opinions seemed very split on whether to use the Coyote engine or the Supercars engine.
Old 21 Aug 2018, 04:34 (Ref:3845111)   #311
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:

M

Third times a charm
Old 21 Aug 2018, 07:21 (Ref:3845125)   #312
Jam3s
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaFox View Post
The one thing I think works against the Swift chassis was that because of who was behind it, there may not have been enough of a support base to alleviate the concerns of the backers and prospective participants. At the very least, it's less likely to have as good of a support base as Onroak could provide.

That might go for the Super5000 design as well - both cars would probably have a better support base than I'm picturing in my mind, but I doubt either would hold a candle to what Onroak can offer - and that's the important part.

As an aside, from my observation, public support seemed to favor the Swift-derived FT5000 from the moment the final version(with the more appropriate airbox) had it's demo. Though opinions seemed very split on whether to use the Coyote engine or the Supercars engine.
The likely Coyote version they will be using will make supercar power at 1/3rd the cost and half the maintenance cycles, so really there shouldn't be an argument regarding engine choice imo.

---

Opinions will be swayed due to the new chassis utilising the Halo but it meant the FIA was happy and no crash testing needed to be done. Also a much shorter lead time for the initial batch since they don't have to actually make the tubs locally now.

No brainer really, still utilises the rear end seen with the swift (including rear wing), gearbox and engine.
Old 21 Aug 2018, 08:18 (Ref:3845134)   #313
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Economies of scale will win out.
Old 21 Aug 2018, 10:38 (Ref:3845160)   #314
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
For those interested, this is the best available video showing the Onroak-built F3 Americas car in action:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTgmOI_wxfg

In F3 Americas trim the cars are only producing about 270HP, a fair bit under half what we should be expecting from the Coyote. It's downforce levels are in tune with that 270HP power, so it will be very LOW downforce with a 600-650 HP engine in the back.

A chassis without engine costs $99,000 USD. I'm interested to know what this will likely become after applicable Australian import taxes.

Now, the funny thing about this car... On the open wheel ladder in the US, this car was supposed to be about on the level of a Pro Mazda car. Some thought maybe even Indy Lights. But when it went to Mid-Ohio and we got our first direct lap time comparison(it's debut race was at a track that Pro Mazda doesn't race at), we found the car is....no faster than the USF2000 cars that are a step BELOW Pro Mazda. And the Tatuus-built USF2000 cars cost HALF what the F3 Americas car does.

So I hope it does better as the Super5000 car, because it's certainly not up to the level it should be over here.
Old 21 Aug 2018, 11:00 (Ref:3845164)   #315
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Can't say I'm surprised at the chassis change, something was seriously amiss with the demo car from Sandown...
Old 21 Aug 2018, 11:20 (Ref:3845170)   #316
Jam3s
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
Can't say I'm surprised at the chassis change, something was seriously amiss with the demo car from Sandown...
The Super5000 version? Yes, it was a dog and most who drove it didn't have much positive to say afterwards.
Old 21 Aug 2018, 12:11 (Ref:3845193)   #317
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Noonan was speaking of a surprise announcement about this series.

This must be it.
Old 21 Aug 2018, 12:31 (Ref:3845198)   #318
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
In F3 Americas trim the cars are only producing about 270HP, a fair bit under half what we should be expecting from the Coyote. It's downforce levels are in tune with that 270HP power, so it will be very LOW downforce with a 600-650 HP engine in the back.
They can change a lot of the aero if they need to though - much of it is only bodywork.

It does surprise me that a tub designed for F3 and 4 cylinder engines of about 270bhp is considered to be OK for V8 engines producing more than double the power. Would imagine it'll need work, even if only a larger fuel tank for example.

I suppose we'll find out soon enough when there's a firm announcement but I'm guessing that it is more likely to be based on the F3 chassis but built specifically for this class.
Old 21 Aug 2018, 19:20 (Ref:3845264)   #319
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Upon seeing this news, a friend of mine had this to say: "Big V8 formula car? ...They need to have crazy exhaust pipes sticking out of the top of the bodywork."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
They can change a lot of the aero if they need to though - much of it is only bodywork.
I doubt they'll do much. Both the Super5000 and FT5000 plans seemed geared towards lower downforce, so I doubt they'll make any change not aimed at maintaining a similar balance with the different engine.

Quote:
It does surprise me that a tub designed for F3 and 4 cylinder engines of about 270bhp is considered to be OK for V8 engines producing more than double the power. Would imagine it'll need work, even if only a larger fuel tank for example.
From what I understand the dimensions of the Coyote engine aren't too different from the chosen Honda engine. Might not need too much more than that fuel tank accommodation.

Something I'd have rather seen over the Coyote engine, though, is to just use the TA2 engines. They're reliable within the same power range, they're built to a spec so they're on a level ground and are cheap, you can still have a "manufacturer battle," and there's already a dedicated racing market in Australia for them(Performax TA2 Muscle Car Series).

Yeah, they're 6.1-liter engines, not 5-liter, but you could differentiate the new series from the old, solidifying it as a MODERN incarnation in the minds of the people in the process, by calling it Formula 6000.
Old 22 Aug 2018, 04:43 (Ref:3845318)   #320
champcarman
Veteran

champcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchampcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandgroper View Post
Noonan was speaking of a surprise announcement about this series.

This must be it.
When was Noonan speaking about this? Still waiting for announcement though.
Old 22 Aug 2018, 05:06 (Ref:3845319)   #321
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by champcarman View Post
When was Noonan speaking about this? Still waiting for announcement though.
At a private car show held in Perth last week.

Someone asked about the S5000 series and he said, wait until the next announcement, suggested it would be exciting.

Is it, hmmmmmmmmmm
Old 22 Aug 2018, 07:05 (Ref:3845329)   #322
Ospi
Veteran

Ospi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOspi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Something I'd have rather seen over the Coyote engine, though, is to just use the TA2 engines. They're reliable within the same power range, they're built to a spec so they're on a level ground and are cheap, you can still have a "manufacturer battle," and there's already a dedicated racing market in Australia for them(Performax TA2 Muscle Car Series).

Yeah, they're 6.1-liter engines, not 5-liter, but you could differentiate the new series from the old, solidifying it as a MODERN incarnation in the minds of the people in the process, by calling it Formula 6000.
It would still have to be modified to become a stressed design, so total costs would probably end up not being far off the Coyote package, but at over 100hp less.

---

I'm part of this project and think the release tomorrow will please most people aesthetically as it still has the aggressive stance with the large rear wheels and aggressive diffuser and rear wing designs but now in a package which will be cheaper to the customer, safer and with a much stronger part supply thanks to the switch to an existing Onroak package (for the most part). The rear end seen from the Swift version also eradicates the "feeder series" aesthetic of the base F3 car.

Will be a good read tomorrow.
Old 22 Aug 2018, 10:22 (Ref:3845350)   #323
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
So two independent groups piddled what $1m up the wall in designing, manufacturing and testing 2 now-orphan chassis, with the saleability of a ZB Commodore road car?

That’s clever.
Old 22 Aug 2018, 10:32 (Ref:3845354)   #324
Jam3s
Racer

Quote:
So two independent groups piddled what $1m up the wall in designing, manufacturing and testing 2 now-orphan chassis, with the saleability of a ZB Commodore road car?

That’s clever.
Vast majority of the costs associated with the Swift were from the engine back, which has been retained with the new tub, so as far as the "Lambden" project goes, that hurdle wasn't too costly a one.

The Super5000 joke, well that was just morons getting their well deserved karma.
Old 22 Aug 2018, 11:48 (Ref:3845360)   #325
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ospi View Post
It would still have to be modified to become a stressed design, so total costs would probably end up not being far off the Coyote package, but at over 100hp less.
I've always been told by some folks running in the US Trans Am Series that there's somewhere in the range of a couple hundred extra ponies in those TA2 engines that could be extracted without significantly harming reliability. I'm sure you could have figured it out.

But much as that's my preference I'm sure there's a variety of other reasons not talked about here to stick with the Coyote, so I'm not gonna pitch a hissyfit about it. The Coyote is more than up to the task, after all, and I'm just glad to see a series like this coming around at all.