Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 11 Apr 2018, 16:17 (Ref:3814894)   #331
Aysedasi
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
I see a lot of comments that Perez was being difficult, but was he really?

If the "Hartley didn't know the rules" part is true, did he even attempt to take his position back? Or was he just happy to follow Perez knowing that it would make no difference to taking his exact spot on the grid as Perez would take the other lane anyhow - as in: there would be no car in the way, and he himself would be in nobody's way either.
In which case you have to wonder what the problem was.... Much ado about nothing it seems to me, apart from breaking a rule which in this instance would have had no effect upon the race. I stand by my original appraisal of the situation.....

(Not long now until we can join some of the DoTs........ )
Old 11 Apr 2018, 17:46 (Ref:3814906)   #332
E.B
Veteran

Australia
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridE.B should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridE.B should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I just watched a replay of the warm up lap before I deleted it from my recorder and am now of the opinion the problem was all of Hartley's own making. As the cars departed Marshalls were waving a yellow flag towards the rear of the grid, presumably for the slow to depart Hartley. Perez did not take off like a scalded cat. He merely left the car of Hartley behind no doubt on seeing the yellow flag waving.

As the cars progressed around the lap, Hartley never once was even remotely close enough to try and pass Perez.... he literally did his warm up procedure some 50 metres behind Perez. In fact as the cars returned to the grid, it looked like one of the McLarens had to near enough stop to avoid passing Hartley who had nearly stopped and was no doubt seeing if Perez was going to his rightful spot.

I am no fan of Perez, but I dont see what he did wrong other than not stopping to allow Hartley to catch up and repass him. All down to Hartley Im afraid.
Old 11 Apr 2018, 18:29 (Ref:3814915)   #333
midgetman
Veteran

England
Rural Wiltshire
midgetman has a real shot at the championship!midgetman has a real shot at the championship!midgetman has a real shot at the championship!midgetman has a real shot at the championship!midgetman has a real shot at the championship!midgetman has a real shot at the championship!
Blimey, so much debate about the warm up lap. Was the race *that* boring?

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 12 Apr 2018, 04:49 (Ref:3814957)   #334
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the podium!wnut has a real shot at the podium!wnut has a real shot at the podium!wnut has a real shot at the podium!wnut has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWill2073 View Post
Which really doesn't make sense, unless they want some dangerous moves potentially happening on the formation lap.
Seems to be the only logical conclusion.

No common sense with the application of the rules whatsoever!
Old 13 Apr 2018, 22:04 (Ref:3815282)   #335
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWill2073 View Post
The odd thing is, you could argue the Honda has been more reliable than the Renault in red bulls hands this year.
No need to argue that, it is a thing which is clearly true.
Old 15 Apr 2018, 09:08 (Ref:3815664)   #336
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
How do you go from 4th at Bahrain, to 18th and 20th at China?

I don't know what Hartley was doing but he dropped to 2nd last in the first 10 laps after starting 15th, even Gasly he had to let past despite being on new ultrasofts. Car damage or something? His poor pace didn't make sense. He made a pitstop on lap 11 and made up some time to come out ahead of the Saubers and Gasly, but was he going 40+ laps on one set of mediums? Gasly eventually caught him on newer tyres and then did that silly move into the hairpin. I don't know how the commentators can even discuss that not being 100% Gasly's fault, and Gasly's screaming on the radio about Hartley turning in on him? C'mon man show some class he's your team mate.

So with the SC Gasly got new tyres on during a 10sec penalty, but went nowhere with them anyway. Hartley had to come into the pits, maybe had a puncture after the contact and went a lap down and of course the lapped cars always get released so late that they can't re-catch the field so that was Hartley's race over - same thing happened in race 1. Gasly must have been passed by a second stopping Grosjean and somehow Ericsson as well in the last few laps. Hartley was keeping up with Leclerc (who was also unlapping himself) but couldn't pass him. Both were about the pace of the Saubers. In other words slow. I assume Hartley retiring with 3 to go was to save the engine. I hope they can find that Bahrain pace again.
Old 15 Apr 2018, 09:47 (Ref:3815673)   #337
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin has a real shot at the podium!S griffin has a real shot at the podium!S griffin has a real shot at the podium!S griffin has a real shot at the podium!S griffin has a real shot at the podium!
Different circuits suit different cars. Thatís probably the only explanation atm
Old 15 Apr 2018, 14:53 (Ref:3815755)   #338
EffectiveSprinkles
Rookie

EffectiveSprinkles should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridEffectiveSprinkles should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think Bahrain was more that other teams were struggling than Toro Rosso suddenly being fast. They did execute that race perfectly, but on pace terms I think they're still the last team of the midpack.
Old 16 Apr 2018, 01:10 (Ref:3815905)   #339
Richard Casto
Subscriber
Veteran

United States
Durham, NC, USA
Richard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by EffectiveSprinkles View Post
I think Bahrain was more that other teams were struggling than Toro Rosso suddenly being fast. They did execute that race perfectly, but on pace terms I think they're still the last team of the midpack.
I could be wrong, but I believe they had real pace (at least Gasty) at Bahrain. He wasn't holding anyone up. So I wouldn't put them at the back of the mid-pack (at least for that race)

As to what was going on at China. I wonder if there were setup issues. I read the following article after qualifying and actually wondered if TR might consider reverting to prior setup and then starting from pitlane...

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/g...rtley-1026092/

A number of interesting quotes from Gasly in that article. It sounds like the car might have been downright evil when being pushed. That some type of change they made between practice and qualifying was very much in the wrong direction.

There is also the issue that I am sure they will have some tracks that work well for them and others that don't.

Richard
Old 16 Apr 2018, 02:17 (Ref:3815917)   #340
Skam85
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide, SA
Skam85 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSkam85 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSkam85 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think we're going to find the order of the really close midfield group shuffled on almost a race-to-race basis. Aus it was Haas, Bahrain it was TR, China Renault. Makes it excellent viewing, as any of these guys could nab a great result if the front runners fall over (like Gasly in Bahrain).