Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 15 Jun 2000, 08:10 (Ref:17378)   #1
Gerard
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Gerard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

The United States Grand Prix at Indianapolis will be a great success, according to many insiders.

Some of them will speak of the pre-race hype there has been, and yes, the Public Relations side of the race is a success already.

Others will point at the number of tickets already sold, and yes, the financial side will be a success also.

Many of the formula one drivers have expressed their excitement to go racing on the partly new circuit.
Heinz-Harald Frentzen recently paid a visit to the track and said it is going to be the fastest Grand Prix he ever competed in.

The TV coverage will no doubt be enormous because every country in the world wants to be there when it happens.

But...will it be a success for the spectators?
Are the American race fans willing to come back in 2001?

American race fans are no different than race fans from other parts of the world.
They like to see a good race, but they also like to see a good show.

And that's the point where Formula One is imperfect.
Some of the races on the calendar are not good races but merely processions.
I'm not saying this is going to happen at Indianapolis, but chances are it could happen.
Are American race fans patient enough to watch 22 cars drive round the track lap after lap without much, or in the worst case no overtaking?
Will that be a good show for them to watch?

If there was no other racing to watch on a Sunday afternoon maybe they would!
But Americans have NASCAR and Champ Cars, two series which provide much more excitement and show than Formula One ever will.
And they will automatically compare the 'Max and Bernie show' with those series.
So Formula One better put up a damn good race and a marvelous show or the United States Grand Prix will become a failure. Again I might add.
Old 15 Jun 2000, 08:19 (Ref:17381)   #2
Diabando
Veteran

Australia
Victoria, Australia
Diabando should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDiabando should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I agree...this better have more fireworks, dancing girls (or would that be cheerleaders?), glitz and action than ever before. You are right - the Americans have too much else on offer...and they dont have the sentimental history with it that we have to fall back on.

Having said that....I think it might be pretty good

...someone point me in the direction of the hotdog vendor?...
Old 15 Jun 2000, 10:43 (Ref:17399)   #3
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We'll find out next year: how many tickets will be sold then?
Old 15 Jun 2000, 13:41 (Ref:17437)   #4
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Based solely on ticket sales, the race will be a success. For Bernie, it is already a success, he has already been paid. For the hard core racing fans it is a no brainer, a big time success and a chance to see the F1 cars race in America. For the TV public at large, another story. Yes, there will be competition from CART and NASCAR for racing viewers, but the biggest threat will come from NFL football that will be getting started about the same time. This is the juggernaut of TV sports viewership in America.
Old 15 Jun 2000, 15:09 (Ref:17457)   #5
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
hot dogs sold out an hour ago !!!!

i hope it is a sucess ..because it is Indy ...ok not the oval but the atmosphere should be electric none the less..i used to love the US gp's in Dallas and Pheonix but for some reason the fans didnt come but they will this year but as said before will they return next year ?

also for the drivers will this create alot of intrest from European drivers about what Indy is all about and perhaps see an influx of Euro's wanting to drive the 500????
Old 15 Jun 2000, 19:50 (Ref:17487)   #6
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In terms of ticket sales it is a success this year. However, if it becomes like some of the Cart races were you can always get seats where you want, it will be off the calender fast. There are not too many GPs that don't sell out.

The drivers might like the one speedway turn, however they will more than likely loath the infield course. I still am very dissapointed with the the job IMS did on the infield part. There is not 1 grade change, not 1 challenging corner, and not 1 place to pass.

I also wonder how the Americans will take the fact that there will not be any passing for position during the race? The Indy 500 has a lot of passing for position, this race will have none whatsoever.

go back to Long Beach. It at least has 2 corners you can pass on!
Old 15 Jun 2000, 20:29 (Ref:17495)   #7
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Actually, I beg to differ: I've got a feeling that the IMS will be EXELLENT for passing. The main straight is long enough for passing even if the last corner is a fast sweep (chez Spain), but it is the end of the back straight that there's the best place to pass: a slow corner at the end of a straight preceeded by a slow corner. I have driven it alot on GP2 and whilst the circuit IS bland, it does appear to offer scope for passing. Granted, this is a computer sim, but it's as near-as-"damn-it"-is-to-swearing realistic. We shall see.........
Old 15 Jun 2000, 22:02 (Ref:17512)   #8
Redneck
Racer

Redneck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The only test will be the test of time. All of the other F1 races died a slow death.

The one key difference this time is location. Sure racing at Indianapolis is a big plus, but what I am talking about is its location in America. 60% of the US population is within a days drive of Indianapolis. This was part of the shortcoming of the other venues. I have waited a long time for this event to occur. The last time that the F1 guys were close enough for me to go was when they were at Watkins Glen. I was a little too young then.
Old 16 Jun 2000, 01:58 (Ref:17523)   #9
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tristan, I am a big GP2 player too, and have driven a number of laps of the Indy F1 circuit. One thing that you must consider is that the physics of the game are based off of 1994, and no matter how much updating you do to the various grips/RPM/air resistance, it cannot replicate what happens when an F1 car gets up close behind another 1.

The drivers will love the oval turn, I get excited just in the simulation. However the first corner is just too fast to pass on. There is a slight chance to pass where Tristan said, however the straight leading to that 90 degree corner is not long enough to get right up behind another car. I restate there is no corner for passing.
Old 16 Jun 2000, 18:03 (Ref:17621)   #10
Rated R
Rookie

Rated R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Hmm, I don't know about NFL but the Olympics are at that time, no? Honestly, how many non-hardcore racing fans (in the US)would you expect to sacrifice viewing the games for F1. It was said on FSN that sports channels will broadcast the USGP live but how many will be watching the sports channels is the question-after all the Olympics are held once per four years while Americans can watch racing every single week. Also Americans get bored very easily-the USGP better be damn exciting (scandalous can do it too) or it may come and go completely unnoticed by the American viewrship-sad but true...
Old 16 Jun 2000, 19:17 (Ref:17626)   #11
skidmark
Rookie

skidmark should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the novelty may wear off when there are only 14 or 15 cars left by the middle of the race.

The American public like action on a huge scale ... sustained for the whole race ... with close racing out front. Schumacher or Hakkinen in front, with the rest of the cars spread all over the place ... until they break ...mmmm we'll see.

I personally hope it's a great success ... but trying to persuade the fat guy in the NASCAR t-shirt and baseball cap may be a little harder !!!