Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 13 Jun 2000, 17:45 (Ref:17070)   #1
fatbloke
Veteran

fatbloke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ITV are not going to show live qualifying of the Canadian GP due to Euro 2000. Does anyone remember the way Bernie sulked last time they didn't show a session live ?
Old 13 Jun 2000, 21:26 (Ref:17101)   #2
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
THANK GOD FOR THAT!!!

OH COME ON!!! I thought from the topic title that you meant "no live qulifying on ITV again". Oh, that IS what you said.

Let's be honest here, Romania v Portugal IN ENGLAND'S GROUP is FOR MOST PEOPLE a bit more pressing an issue, don't you think? I for one will be watching. So long as they don't can it FOREVER, I think we can allow ITV this case of "sorry,-only-one-channel"

GUUAARNINGLAAAND!!!!!
Old 13 Jun 2000, 22:17 (Ref:17105)   #3
RIKB
Veteran

RIKB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Stuff the Football
Old 14 Jun 2000, 08:28 (Ref:17155)   #4
Schume
Racer

Schume should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lets look on the bright side.
England should be out of Euro 2000 before the Canadian GP starts on Sunday. Then normal service will be resumed.

But until then, as Bill Shankly said, football isn't a matter of life and death, it's more important than that.......

Hope you've all got your Prayer Mats out of todays copy of The Sun...
Old 14 Jun 2000, 08:36 (Ref:17156)   #5
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GRRRRRRRRRRR!

I couldn't care less which teams are playing. If ITV are committed to F1, which they blatantly are NOT, then they must show ALL qualifying sessions and races LIVE - not 5 or 6 hours later. So what if it is Euro 2000? F1 doesn't stop for a football tournament.

If it were the BBC, it would be on LIVE.

DAMN YOU ITV.
Old 14 Jun 2000, 09:32 (Ref:17167)   #6
Ed-f1
Racer

Ed-f1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've been in Australia since last October and until I saw channel 9's race coverage I didn't realise how lucky we were in England. If your moaning about delayed coverage of 1 qualifying session try this.

No coverage of qualifying live or delayed - just a 7 second summary before the race.

Delayed coverage of every European Grand Prix (meaning very late Sunday night - not good if you want to go to work Monday morning)

About 70% more adverts than ITV and what is amazing is that even when they are showing a delayed telecast they can still miss all the action in the adverts.

Usually on the return from the last advert break before the race starts the cars will be half way around the warm-up lap.

See my topic in cool sites if you want to voice your concern about all this.
Old 14 Jun 2000, 09:33 (Ref:17168)   #7
Andy H
Racer

Andy H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
more adverts than ITV! is this possible?
Old 14 Jun 2000, 09:41 (Ref:17171)   #8
fatbloke
Veteran

Ed, why should we give a toss what happens elsewhere ? We're talking about ITV - remember, those same people who promised us a revolution in coverage of the sport - /every/ session would be live, blah, bla, blah...

The only revolution i've seen is the introduction of commercials...

Tristan, get a grip man! If it /was/ England, I could understand, but why the hell do we want to watch two other countries playing each other ?!
Old 14 Jun 2000, 10:05 (Ref:17182)   #9
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by fatbloke
Ed, why should we give a toss what happens elsewhere ? We're talking about ITV - remember, those same people who promised us a revolution in coverage of the sport - /every/ session would be live, blah, bla, blah...
Because if you haven't witnessed appalling coverage you aren't qualified to comment. I remember the cynical way that adverts were used to benefit the advertisers during the coverage of the 94 Austrailian GP. (Channel 9 coverage). Even the delayed coverage still had an advert just as Schumi pulled accross the track!!!.

ITV have a lot of customers who want to watch football. At leat they move everything else to cover the GPs, unlike the old BBC who would allow an opera to crash the recorded highlights.
Old 14 Jun 2000, 10:44 (Ref:17187)   #10
jvilleneuve2000
Racer

jvilleneuve2000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Itv never show qualifying for the Canadian GP live, if the football is on or not. They didnt show it live last year because it is prime time on a saturday night. Only the rest of this season to go then it is digital f1!!!!!.
Old 14 Jun 2000, 11:12 (Ref:17190)   #11
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Who is getting the digital tv licence in the uk?
Old 14 Jun 2000, 11:16 (Ref:17191)   #12
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When is the qualifying being shown..

As I have to see when it fits into my schedule of tv on saturday..

This includes:

3 live rugby games
Euro 2000
Test match cricket
F1 qualifying

And who can forget Le Mans!!!!

Never going to all fit!!!
Old 14 Jun 2000, 11:46 (Ref:17202)   #13
fatbloke
Veteran

Of course I can't Peter. However, I do feel I am entitled to comment on ITV's claims when they took over that they'd revolutionise coverage of F1 - never again, they said, would we miss a thing - it'd all be live - including qualifying - no expense would be spared, and it would all be on a par with football coverage. When did they change their mind ?

Why would something so unimportant as a football game between two overseas sides take precedence over something which, they claimed, would be so high on their list of priorities ?
Old 14 Jun 2000, 11:50 (Ref:17203)   #14
fatbloke
Veteran

And, I forgot to add, i'll very likely be watching Le Mans anyway... It just annoys me that they go back on their promises this way. Could it be that they said those things in order to deflect the criticism of the commercials (anyone remember them missing Damon overtaking Michael in the Arrows ?!) Surely not...!
Old 14 Jun 2000, 12:22 (Ref:17209)   #15
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I expect you will definitely be watching Le Mans. I won't because I don't have sat or digi TV at home and I can't be there unlike some people.

I think ITV are a vast improvement on the old BBC coverage but with terrestrial we're always going to get programmes prioritised.

Anyway. Who has got the UK digital F1 licence?
Old 14 Jun 2000, 14:20 (Ref:17225)   #16
jvilleneuve2000
Racer

Why are you all saying "digital tv licence"?
You pay £100+ for the six channels (per season) which will be on sky or ON digital. It is a subscription not a licence, you dont have to pay a licence for digital tv at the moment.
Old 14 Jun 2000, 14:29 (Ref:17226)   #17
Tristan
Veteran

COME ON THEN: YOU'RE IN CHARGE OF THE ITV SCHEDULE. YOU WOULD HONESTLY SHOW CANADIAN GP QULIFYING IN THE MIDDLE OF AN (FOR ENGLAND) ABSOLUTLY VITAL GAME WHICH WILL RECIEVE TREBLE THE NUMBER OF VIEWRS THAT QUALIFYING WOULD?

YOU WOULD PUT QULIFYING ON? LIVE? REALLY? WHY?????!!

I WANT TO WATCH BOTH! WHY DO WE NEED TO SEE QUALIFYING LIVE? DON'T GET ME WRONG, I WANT TO WATCH THE QULIFYING AS MUCH AS YOU ALL DO, BUT EVEN IF THEY WERE ON DIFFERENT CHANNELS I'D WATCH ONE AND RECORD THE OTHER. AND I KNOW WHICH ONE I'D RECORD (AND IT ISN'T THE TWO HOUR LONG FOOTY JUST HOURS BEFORE THE ENGLAND GAME)

GIVE THE SCHEDULERS A BREAK. WHAT IS IT THAT YOU HONESTLY WANT THEM TO DO? BLOODY HELL!!! I THINK THE FOOTBALL IS JUST A TAD MORE PRESSING THAN THE QUALIFYING WHICH IS BEING SHOWN, AS LIVE, LATER IN THE EVENING. UNLIKE THE BEEB ITV HAVE ONE CHANNEL. I THINK SOME PEOPLE HERE ARE WANTING ITV TO PERFORM MIRICLES.

PORTUGAL v ROMANIA IS ALMOST AS VITAL TO ENGLAND AS THE ENGLAND v GERMANY GAME!!! OR HAD THAT ESCAPED YOUR KNOWLEGE?

JESUS!

PS: COMAAARRRNINGERLAAAAND!!!!!
Old 14 Jun 2000, 14:42 (Ref:17228)   #18
jvilleneuve2000
Racer

ITV havent shown the Canadian GP qualifying live since they got f1 in 1997. It just happens that football is on this season, i am annoyed that we wont be getting it live, but at least i wont have to make the decision of watching Le mans or qualifying live. You can watch it live if you have got SKY as it is on RTL.
Old 14 Jun 2000, 16:27 (Ref:17248)   #19
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally posted by jvilleneuve2000
Why are you all saying "digital tv licence"?
You pay £100+ for the six channels (per season) which will be on sky or ON digital. It is a subscription not a licence, you dont have to pay a licence for digital tv at the moment.
I know I don't need a licence but the service provider does. If you've got SKY dig and On Dig gets it you're going to have to buy a whole new package. So. Nobody has the UK licence at present then.
Old 14 Jun 2000, 16:58 (Ref:17251)   #20
fatbloke
Veteran

Tristan, you want to calm down bloke - you're gonna **** yourself if you carry on like that...

As I say, personally I couldn't really give a toss - i'll not be watching it anyway. I'm just demonstrating the hypocracy shown by ITV - they say one thing, then do another. 'F1 will be treated the same as football - it will receive first class treatment from now on' is what they said (or words to that effect) What do we get ? It's shown in the middle of the night instead. As has been said, they've never shown Canada live - why ?

If it had have been postponed due to a football game, why ? If it was England playing, then I could understand, but it's not - it's a couple of overseas teams. If ITV had a problem of F1 vs football, they could always have let the beeb have that game and take another instead.

As for only having one channel, that's an interesting point. We receive ITV2 on cable - couldn't they show it live on there for the benefit of those of us ho do have access and then repeat it later in the evening on the main channel ?
Old 14 Jun 2000, 17:34 (Ref:17259)   #21
Tristan
Veteran

Point taken: they SHOULD show it on ITV2. When I said they had one channel I meant "one channel that anyone actually watches".

However, I DO believe that they have their priorities absolutley spot on. The reason why they've never shown qualifying live from Canada is because, like it or not, far more people watch "You've been framed" than watch qualifying. Given that they're showing it in full late at night, I'm not bothered. I would have had to video it anyway.

Finally, YES I KNOW IT'S TWO FOREIGN TEAMS, BUT IT'S PORTUGAL V ROMANIA!!! IT IS UTTERLY VITAL FROM ENGLAN'S PERSPECTIVE AND, LIKE IT OR NOT, THE FATE OF ENGLAND'S NATIONAL FOOTBALL TEAM IS OF GREATER IMPORTANCE TO MOST PEOPLE IN THIS COUNTRY THAN FORMULA 1, ESPECIALLY WHEN IT ISN'T EVEN THE ACTUAL RACE.

ITV want the footy on because it will atract about three times the number of viewers than the qualifying would have. They want money and the advertisers will be more willing to pay more during the footy coverage. Plus, judging by today's tragic news re: MOTD, I don't think ITV seem willing to concede anything to the BEEB. They poached Des, didn't they?!

BTW: coverage of Le Mans on Sky? Has that got something to do with the fact that they have THREE channels UTTERLY DEVOTED to spot 24hrs a day? Do you think they have quite a wide scope of flexibility? DO WE NOW? JEEZ!!

You're right; if I carry on like this I'll burst a blood vessel! But it's those who demand live qulifying who need to lighten up. ITV's coverage is, on the whole, very good even with the adverts. By putting on the footie, they're just pleasing the vast majority of people. Just what is it that you expect them to do? Deal with it!
Old 14 Jun 2000, 17:37 (Ref:17260)   #22
Tristan
Veteran

Oh, and before you ask: 3-0 England. Did you SEE Germany earlier this week. Biggest laugh I've had in ages!!!!
Old 14 Jun 2000, 21:36 (Ref:17285)   #23
jvilleneuve2000
Racer

"BTW: coverage of Le Mans on Sky? Has that got something to do with the fact that they have THREE channels UTTERLY DEVOTED to spot 24hrs a day? Do you think they have quite a wide scope of flexibility? DO WE NOW? JEEZ!!"

BTW sky dont show Le man Eurosport do, and that is only one channel!!!
Old 15 Jun 2000, 17:33 (Ref:17477)   #24
F1FansClub
Racer

F1FansClub should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Damn ITV!

Since ITV has been broadcasting F1 I have been very disappointed with their coverage! You would need BBC to get back the coverage to get it back again to the good broadcasts! ITV has just bought MOTD, what next? All the golf coverage. Soon ITV will have to sell F1 coverage because they are more bothered about Football!

Ally Mitchell