Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

View Poll Results: Should Vauxhall rebrand as Opel
Yes 3 17.65%
No 14 82.35%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 21 Jul 2012, 21:40 (Ref:3109561)   #26
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon View Post
If I ever own a multi million dollar company of any description, the very last thing you'll see me blasting anywhere in is a prehistoric Aussie truck.
+1
Old 22 Jul 2012, 18:38 (Ref:3109878)   #27
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Rosputnik View Post
Killjoy... >_<

Edit - I've just seen the running costs... Oh well, I'm sure if you had a million pounds I'm sure you wouldn't care... Much...

Imagine the running costs with fuel over two (aus) dollars a gallon.... (That's just to make our Aussie readers wince. )

But who cares about that if you're a millionaire ... there'd be at least one V8 in my garage, with an AMG badge on it.
Old 25 Jul 2012, 05:42 (Ref:3111095)   #28
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:

Imagine the running costs with fuel over two (aus) dollars a gallon.... (That's just to make our Aussie readers wince. )

But who cares about that if you're a millionaire ... there'd be at least one V8 in my garage, with an AMG badge on it.
which would be fun until someone else comes in with a 'pre-historic aussie truck' and absolutely creams your AMG in a race for a lot less money!
Old 25 Jul 2012, 07:25 (Ref:3111117)   #29
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
As of right now, 9 people have voted that it should not be re-branded against one who said it should, a pretty convincing majority which is probably why it's never happened. However, nobody has given a reason why... and this is the real intriguing bit. Can the 9 people step up and explain why they've voted as they have.
Old 25 Jul 2012, 07:49 (Ref:3111120)   #30
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
which would be fun until someone else comes in with a 'pre-historic aussie truck' and absolutely creams your AMG in a race for a lot less money!

Depends which AMG I choose ...
Old 25 Jul 2012, 20:27 (Ref:3111394)   #31
awrb
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham, UK
awrb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think they should re-brand Vauxhall simply because I don't see the benefit of doing so. It's one of the two "home" brands, if you like, and has a great reputation in the UK. Bringing Opel into the minds of the British public, ensuring it gets a good reputation like Vauxhall currently has, and winning the hearts if the public after replacing a well known "British" brand would be difficult, expensive and time consuming.

So what would GM gain with a re-brand?
Old 25 Jul 2012, 22:57 (Ref:3111434)   #32
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
I don't think so either. Vauxhall has built up an inheritance over the few decades. I appreciate the ownership nuances give complete lie to this but in the mass-mind, the rebranding Vauxhall with a German name would seem like foreigners conquering yet another old British institution. Might leave a subconscious bad taste in the public mind what with the infamous selling off of vulnerable British manufacturers to oriental owners.

Personally I like going to the UK and seeing all the Vectra's..etc branded Vauxhalls. It makes me feel the UK is an alternative universe where nothing makes sense.
Old 26 Jul 2012, 16:31 (Ref:3111709)   #33
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridI Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
I don't think so either. Vauxhall has built up an inheritance over the few decades. I appreciate the ownership nuances give complete lie to this but in the mass-mind, the rebranding Vauxhall with a German name would seem like foreigners conquering yet another old British institution. Might leave a subconscious bad taste in the public mind what with the infamous selling off of vulnerable British manufacturers to oriental owners.

Personally I like going to the UK and seeing all the Vectra's..etc branded Vauxhalls. It makes me feel the UK is an alternative universe where nothing makes sense.
Thank you, the UK is a rather crazy place where we drive upside down. ;p

Personally, I'd rather see someone take the Vauxhall brand from GM and give it some form of personality separate from Opel. It already has in a way with the VXR line up (Yes with V8 Aussies...) but similar to how BMW gave Mini a fresh outlook. (Whether people feel it was a good thing, that's a different argument) Then if GM wants to bring Opel into the UK then that's their choice.
Old 29 Jul 2012, 10:27 (Ref:3113157)   #34
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
It makes me feel the UK is an alternative universe where nothing makes sense.
I thought that was France?
Old 18 Aug 2012, 00:37 (Ref:3121230)   #35
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
If I ever own a multi million dollar company of any description, the very last thing you'll see me blasting anywhere in is a prehistoric Aussie truck.
yes this looks sooo prehistoric
Old 18 Aug 2012, 08:28 (Ref:3121293)   #36
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Looks like a Ford Sierra that's crashed through Halfords to me.

Old 18 Aug 2012, 08:32 (Ref:3121296)   #37
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:

Exactly the same thought went through my mind!
Old 18 Aug 2012, 08:59 (Ref:3121298)   #38
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:

I smell Jealousy!! and whats halford? either way if rumours were true this Ute would not be far off from keepin up with an AMG , not bad for a prehistoric truck aye?
Old 18 Aug 2012, 09:21 (Ref:3121301)   #39
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
For the enlightenment of our colonial cousins , Halfords (or Halfrauds as they are popularly known) are a large chain of spares and accesories shops in the UK, offering both the useful and totally useless and 'bling' parts for your road car.
Old 18 Aug 2012, 11:33 (Ref:3121333)   #40
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAS33 View Post
I smell Jealousy!! and whats halford? either way if rumours were true this Ute would not be far off from keepin up with an AMG , not bad for a prehistoric truck aye?

John has more than adequately described Halfords. Not sure what the Aussie equivalent of a chav is, but that's where they shop.

I reckon that Ute would keep up with most AMGs in a straight line, but in Europe we have these things called corners, and I'd quite like to survive the first one I encounter.

And ... if I'm in charge of a multi million dollar company (which is where all this started) I'd rather drive something fast and luxurious, rather than something with an interior out of a 500 dollar farmer's truck.

(Don't tell everyone, but I do like Holdens really. In the UK Vauxhall sell the latest GTS saloon as a 'VXR8'. It's a superb piece of kit - but for the scary fuel consumption...)
Old 18 Aug 2012, 11:54 (Ref:3121335)   #41
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
Quote:

John has more than adequately described Halfords. Not sure what the Aussie equivalent of a chav is, but that's where they shop.

I reckon that Ute would keep up with most AMGs in a straight line, but in Europe we have these things called corners, and I'd quite like to survive the first one I encounter.

And ... if I'm in charge of a multi million dollar company (which is where all this started) I'd rather drive something fast and luxurious, rather than something with an interior out of a 500 dollar farmer's truck.

(Don't tell everyone, but I do like Holdens really. In the UK Vauxhall sell the latest GTS saloon as a 'VXR8'. It's a superb piece of kit - but for the scary fuel consumption...)
awkward moment when its not even a Holden...Its a Ford
here we call the poor people Bogans, and yes most of them drive holdens. but the upperclass ones rather a FPV (Ford Performance Vehicles)
heres a look at the "500 dollar interior"

almost as comfy lookin as a C-Class, what u reckon?
Old 18 Aug 2012, 12:11 (Ref:3121338)   #42
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire

I thought I saw a Ford badge, but then we were talking about GM so I decided to ignore that and pretend it was a Holden. I know how you guys love each other really.

(Is it me or do the Utes all look the same anyway?)

That interior does look acceptable for a Ford I suppose. Still too much hard plastic that doesn't fit properly to compare to anything European though.
Old 19 Aug 2012, 10:03 (Ref:3121705)   #43
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
Quote:

I thought I saw a Ford badge, but then we were talking about GM so I decided to ignore that and pretend it was a Holden. I know how you guys love each other really.

(Is it me or do the Utes all look the same anyway?)

That interior does look acceptable for a Ford I suppose. Still too much hard plastic that doesn't fit properly to compare to anything European though.
Holden special vehicle guys wish they were in same class as FPV, A Ute's a ute , and what about the later Mazda models , is it me or are they starting to look like AMG's?
Old 19 Aug 2012, 10:53 (Ref:3121725)   #44
davyboy
Veteran

Thread drift going on here.
Old 22 Aug 2012, 22:03 (Ref:3123231)   #45
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

Here, this is better:

I'd roll in this.

And to close the colonial loop, the American equivalent of Halfords is Pep Boys and the chavs are (sort of as chav has a broader meaning than the car culture) called 'ricers' here for the preponderance of distastefully modified Japanese cars. The distasteful mods are now called 'rice' no matter the origin of the vehicle.
Old 23 Aug 2012, 10:34 (Ref:3123462)   #46
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
See, I told you they looked the same...
Old 23 Aug 2012, 12:02 (Ref:3123517)   #47
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridI Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
Thread drift going on here.
Trust me and my soft spot for Utes...
Old 23 Aug 2012, 12:27 (Ref:3123532)   #48
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
Quote:
See, I told you they looked the same...
here *hands garcons his glasses*
Old 23 Aug 2012, 12:36 (Ref:3123538)   #49
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Thanks.