Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 18 Feb 2014, 10:02 (Ref:3369625)   #1
AntA35
Rookie

United Kingdom
The Midlands
AntA35 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2 or 3 piece wheels Appendix K

Morning all,

Just wondering if anyone definitively knows whether 2 or 3 piece wheels (split rims if you prefer) are allowable for touring cars under Appendix K rules? I note that there is a section to say that Formula Fords may not use them, however I couldn't see anything about touring cars. I may not have read the document thoroughly of course.

I am keen to use slicks on my Group 1 Dolly Sprint as per allowance under App K and the wheel that was used in period is no longer available. I have found some Minilite style wheels that will do the job but to get the offset required the only ones I have found are a 3 piece wheel. They look like a cast wheel on the outside, but the fixings and construction are hidden nicely on the inside of the rim.

Any direction would be most appreciated.
Old 18 Feb 2014, 10:47 (Ref:3369644)   #2
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Question is "were they used in period, if so, can you supply photographic proof?"
Surely there must be an alternative to use?
Old 18 Feb 2014, 11:32 (Ref:3369660)   #3
AntA35
Rookie

United Kingdom
The Midlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
Question is "were they used in period, if so, can you supply photographic proof?"
Surely there must be an alternative to use?
That's partly the point. Because you can't see the construction from the outside who's to say if they were or weren't used either way even with photographic proof (presumably of the outside of the wheel sat on a car). However, I'm not so sure that the lack of proof to say that they weren't used on the car (as they look the same) is actually within the intended spirit of these things!

There are alternatives to enable the correct homologated wheel size, but they are all modern post 1982 patterns and would just plainly look wrong on the Dolomite. We can of course go down in rim width to get the correct offset but we then come across problems with the use of the correct tyres.

This is part of the frustration. In trying to support the cause to see a proper working credible alternative to the List 1b rubber that has been used for the last 30 years (which some race organisers are now preventing the use of for Group 1/1b) but in so doing we're finding we're regressing further into the past than recreating what was happening in period.
Old 18 Feb 2014, 12:28 (Ref:3369679)   #4
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The App K papers should state the material of the wheel as well as the size. If the 3 piece rims you can source are of the same material spec then, presumably, they should be allowed.

With all the 'Minilite' style wheels around now I'm surprised you can't find what you want in 1 piece.
Old 18 Feb 2014, 12:57 (Ref:3369697)   #5
AntA35
Rookie

United Kingdom
The Midlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
The App K papers should state the material of the wheel as well as the size. If the 3 piece rims you can source are of the same material spec then, presumably, they should be allowed.

With all the 'Minilite' style wheels around now I'm surprised you can't find what you want in 1 piece.
Material and size is what I discerned as important from App K, there is nothing about construction (other than Formula Fords may not use split rims). But it's good to hear everyone's views as I'd hate to get some of these commissioned only to be told I can't use them.

Annoyingly the offset of the current Minilite 1 piece wheels falls short by positive 6mm for the application as I need them. It comes down to the use of the cross ply slick tyre of appropriate size ballooning in the section width (as it did in period) meaning the wheel has to sit a few more mm inboard than the stock 6J Minilite that is currently used for a List 1b radial tyre (that doesn't balloon). This is how the original period wheels were fitted and I'm just trying to find a way to recreate it with an available wheel.
Old 18 Feb 2014, 13:00 (Ref:3369701)   #6
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Possibly not a help in you current situation but Minilite are able to make wheels with different offsets to order. All my Gp2 wheels were machined to my spec.
Old 18 Feb 2014, 15:05 (Ref:3369747)   #7
AntA35
Rookie

United Kingdom
The Midlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Possibly not a help in you current situation but Minilite are able to make wheels with different offsets to order. All my Gp2 wheels were machined to my spec.
Thanks Mike… we've tried that avenue and even with the maximum positive offset possible on the castings for the 6J rim (and with maximum amount of metal removed from the flange) we're still 6mm short.

It's possible that maybe another supplier of Minilites might be able to get us there.
Old 18 Feb 2014, 16:27 (Ref:3369777)   #8
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
IIRC the BSCC permitted split rims in Group 1. App K doesn't reflect the regs of the period, it just reflects what the intended regs were. Each country had its own take on the base App J regs of the time.
Old 18 Feb 2014, 16:34 (Ref:3369778)   #9
AntA35
Rookie

United Kingdom
The Midlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
IIRC the BSCC permitted split rims in Group 1. App K doesn't reflect the regs of the period, it just reflects what the intended regs were. Each country had its own take on the base App J regs of the time.
I should probably just man up and ask the organisers!
Old 18 Feb 2014, 17:38 (Ref:3369797)   #10
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
I've thought of another solution- sell the Dolly and get a Ford instead!

Old 18 Feb 2014, 20:46 (Ref:3369866)   #11
Alex E
Racer

Alex E should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I noticed in the (Goodwood 72nd...I think...) regs there is a restriction on tyre width versus wheel width. Difference can only be 40mm overall from memory......

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntA35 View Post
Material and size is what I discerned as important from App K, there is nothing about construction (other than Formula Fords may not use split rims). But it's good to hear everyone's views as I'd hate to get some of these commissioned only to be told I can't use them.

Annoyingly the offset of the current Minilite 1 piece wheels falls short by positive 6mm for the application as I need them. It comes down to the use of the cross ply slick tyre of appropriate size ballooning in the section width (as it did in period) meaning the wheel has to sit a few more mm inboard than the stock 6J Minilite that is currently used for a List 1b radial tyre (that doesn't balloon). This is how the original period wheels were fitted and I'm just trying to find a way to recreate it with an available wheel.
Old 19 Feb 2014, 12:25 (Ref:3370064)   #12
AntA35
Rookie

United Kingdom
The Midlands
Quote:

Once I've seen your RS2000 Mk2 and how useful it is… I may just yet defect to the dark side
Old 19 Feb 2014, 12:26 (Ref:3370065)   #13
AntA35
Rookie

United Kingdom
The Midlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex E View Post
I noticed in the (Goodwood 72nd...I think...) regs there is a restriction on tyre width versus wheel width. Difference can only be 40mm overall from memory......
The Goodwood regs were based on the CTCRC regs I think… therefore not the same as App K...
Old 19 Feb 2014, 12:43 (Ref:3370071)   #14
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Once I've seen your RS2000 Mk2 and how useful it is… I may just yet defect to the dark side
there is no way an RS2 will develop anything like the power of a Dolomite in Gp1 trim, so will attempt to major on brakes and handling! Big advantage, apparent from this discussion and others, is availability of parts...

BTW the first ever episode of 'The Professionals' happened to be on last TV night. Forgot they had a Dolomite and TR7 to start with, although former looked like an HL, not Sprint.
Old 19 Feb 2014, 13:15 (Ref:3370080)   #15
AntA35
Rookie

United Kingdom
The Midlands
Quote:
there is no way an RS2 will develop anything like the power of a Dolomite in Gp1 trim, so will attempt to major on brakes and handling! Big advantage, apparent from this discussion and others, is availability of parts...
The 16v engine is the heart of the Dolomite performance and there is more to come. My pockets just aren't deep enough to get access to the full potential... this will require many development £'s although we know what needs to be done. We have moved the engine on though from where it left off and we've got some exciting results so far and the parts list for the internals is growing. Having said that decent blocks and heads are getting harder and harder to find now… I can see we'll be having to create new castings within 5 - 10 years.

We've just had a pattern made for casting new front discs as there were none anywhere to be found and so we're excited about what modern materials might do to improve the situation of what were otherwise pretty poor homologated brakes. The point being we're now manufacturing new parts so things are improving.

However the weight advantage of the RS2, availability of such a variety of parts and development of the pinto engine continuing to this day it sure bodes well for the future of the RS2. Get the thing handling and it might be a pocket rocket. What's the rear set up on the RS2? It's got to be better than the Dolly.
Old 19 Feb 2014, 17:56 (Ref:3370143)   #16
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
I won't go into detail on suspension as already discussed on the 'leaf springs' thread. Am sure it bored everyone to tears on there!

I'd like to think that the engine will produced same power as in period. Most I've seen quoted for Gp1 spec Pinto is 175bhp.

Old 20 Feb 2014, 09:51 (Ref:3370310)   #17
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:

Ant, if you're going to switch to the oval, the best bet might be a Sierra/Merkur Ti but that very car appears to be quite a controversial subject as to original eligibility in some parts!!!

Quote:

BTW the first ever episode of 'The Professionals' happened to be on last TV night. Forgot they had a Dolomite and TR7 to start with, although former looked like an HL, not Sprint.
Excellent! Yes I saw that too, even Cowley was in a Princess! Wonder what happened for the producers to cut and run to Henry, as I'm sure the white RS2000 and... a Mk2 Capri Ghia.... come in during that first series?

I digress...
Old 20 Feb 2014, 13:53 (Ref:3370377)   #18
AntA35
Rookie

United Kingdom
The Midlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Ant, if you're going to switch to the oval, the best bet might be a Sierra/Merkur Ti but that very car appears to be quite a controversial subject as to original eligibility in some parts!!!
I'd love to run a Sierra/Merkur... Started looking in earnest for one a few years ago but didn't get very far. My father had one of the first XR4i's in the UK and I loved going in the car, despite it being a V6 and a mere 160bhp... It felt fast in the day.

However, I agree it seems the cut off for some series would exclude this really important car. I believe most of the cars were converted to Cosworth and RS500 spec, but would love to find one that wasn't.
Old 20 Feb 2014, 15:17 (Ref:3370405)   #19
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
I'd love to run a Sierra/Merkur... Started looking in earnest for one a few years ago but didn't get very far. My father had one of the first XR4i's in the UK and I loved going in the car, despite it being a V6 and a mere 160bhp... It felt fast in the day.

However, I agree it seems the cut off for some series would exclude this really important car. I believe most of the cars were converted to Cosworth and RS500 spec, but would love to find one that wasn't.
here's one...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3213262364...d=590226502431
Old 20 Feb 2014, 15:31 (Ref:3370411)   #20
AntA35
Rookie

United Kingdom
The Midlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
Thanks David... it needs to be an original GpA car really. I think an ICS/Rouse shell was found a couple of years ago, never did find out what happened to it.
Old 21 Feb 2014, 07:53 (Ref:3370610)   #21
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...ouse%27s+XR4Ti
Here it is .
More than a couple of years ago !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 21 Feb 2014, 10:06 (Ref:3370634)   #22
AntA35
Rookie

United Kingdom
The Midlands
That's the one... blimey seems like yesterday that thread was a hot topic.
Old 21 Feb 2014, 13:51 (Ref:3370682)   #23
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
That's the one... blimey seems like yesterday that thread was a hot topic.
Crikey yes, and although I didn't remember it from that thread, it serves as a reminder that there's a ready supply of suitable engines to whoever can find a car to put them in!!
Old 21 Feb 2014, 17:40 (Ref:3370733)   #24
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
it serves as a reminder that there's a ready supply of suitable engines to whoever can find a car to put them in!!
Or there was! Come on James, you need to find out what happened to the car......
Old 21 Feb 2014, 20:21 (Ref:3370768)   #25
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Or there was! Come on James, you need to find out what happened to the car......
ah..... do I detect something about to materialise?