Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 1 Apr 2005, 03:09 (Ref:1266791)   #1
billnchristy
Veteran

United States
Lawrenceville GA
billnchristy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
46 Cars to take to California Speedway this weekend

You know I cant resist:

Event page:
http://www.grand-am.com/Events/Event.asp?ID=80

T&S:
http://grandamerican.vfx.com/Rolex/G...erican_800.asp

Entry list:
http://www.grand-am.com/Events/EntryList.asp?EventID=80

Big news:
Can the 10 Suntrust Riley make it 3 in a row?
Maserati returns to GT class
Race sponsored by Maserati-Ferrari
Apparent High winds threaten to close the event or at least some practice (testing was cancelled today).
Old 1 Apr 2005, 03:13 (Ref:1266792)   #2
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Seems like the "Pretenders" are starting to drop away.....

But the numbers stilll are decent...so far...let's see how they look by the end of the year....

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 1 Apr 2005, 05:29 (Ref:1266815)   #3
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Indeed Tim, well as most of us here knew anyway it was just a matter of time until the grids started to drop off in numbers. So many series start new eras with new classess of cars so strongly, very few actually manage to keep up those grid numbers over the course of say a 5 year period. Im not saying this is the end for GA, but I do think that over the next couple of seasons the grids will eventually drop down into the mid to high 30s, whilst the ALMS's grids continue to grow, albeit slowly. By the end of the 2006/start of the 2007 seasons I personally feel that the ALMS/GA grids will be around the same sort of numbers, at least within 10 cars of one another anyway.
Old 1 Apr 2005, 08:47 (Ref:1266890)   #4
FCYTravis
Racer

United States
Bloomington, Indiana
FCYTravis should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Drop away? They've got six more cars than the third race of last season at Phoenix - and four of those are Daytona Prototypes. The net loss from Homestead is all of two GT Porsches. Whoopdeedoo. There's still 22 Daytona Prototypes all set to go.

Grand Am is a series that's far from shrinking - it's growing. The Gainsco/Blackhawk Racing Pontiac Riley will make its debut at the next race at Laguna Seca...

Last edited by FCYTravis; 1 Apr 2005 at 08:49.
Old 1 Apr 2005, 11:08 (Ref:1266994)   #5
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
I cant stand the sight of the things but I gotta admit , it is good racing and that "is" what its all about ?

Now , maybe if you cut the roof off them and do a few mods ..... you might have the basics of a real sportscar

Hey FCY ..... best of luck for your new team . Youve got the best chassis available in my opinion .

Last edited by The Badger; 1 Apr 2005 at 11:10.
Old 1 Apr 2005, 11:48 (Ref:1267022)   #6
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
You all know that I'm more an ACO' specs' fan, but I have to admit that the serie is a success right now. So best of luck to the concurrents, and for the fans : enjoy !
Old 1 Apr 2005, 12:47 (Ref:1267101)   #7
billnchristy
Veteran

United States
Lawrenceville GA
California speedway is one of the least popular races of the year...the distance is too far, the track uninspired, heck just look at the entry list drop offs for ALMS and SWC when they head out west (minus laguna).

Laguna this year for GA will feature at least 3 new cars and there are more to come...there is in no way a drop off in car owner interest...
Old 1 Apr 2005, 13:15 (Ref:1267134)   #8
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Is the California Speedway a roval ?
Old 1 Apr 2005, 14:00 (Ref:1267164)   #9
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Milka Dunno and Andy Wallace are on two different cars (CITGO 2 & 20). What do the rules tell about this possibility ?
Old 1 Apr 2005, 14:02 (Ref:1267167)   #10
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fab
Is the California Speedway a roval ?
Yes, it is, Fab....

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 1 Apr 2005, 17:38 (Ref:1267313)   #11
Danske
Veteran

Danske should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The season finale last Halloween at California had sixteen DPs and twenty-three GT/SGS cars, so the numbers are up compared to the last race at the track five months ago. That some teams' partial schedules include the Rolex 24 but not California is hardly evidence the sky is falling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PascaLM
Milka Dunno and Andy Wallace are on two different cars (CITGO 2 & 20). What do the rules tell about this possibility ?
The drivers take the points of the first car they drive. However, the #20 is actually just going to be used for practice and not the race unless last-minute sponsorship is found for it.

Oh, before someone goes on about testing being cancelled yesterday, the wind made the emergency helicopter unavailable and that's why track activities were cancelled.
Old 1 Apr 2005, 19:17 (Ref:1267373)   #12
Danske
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danske
However, the #20 is actually just going to be used for practice and not the race unless last-minute sponsorship is found for it.
There's a "Dyson" listed as a driver in the T&S for the #20, so maybe they've found the money for the race now.
Old 1 Apr 2005, 23:20 (Ref:1267554)   #13
Yow
Rookie

United States
Durham
Yow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ferrari Maserati race sponsorship is interesting. I wonder if this a sign of a future engine supplier...
Old 1 Apr 2005, 23:34 (Ref:1267563)   #14
Danske
Veteran

The Dyson in question is apparently Chris.

The weekend has Ferrari Challenge and Historics races, both of which are being sanctioned by Grand-Am, I believe. With hours of nothing but Ferrari's on the track it doesn't seem significant that Ferrari/Maserati is sponoring the weekend. OTOH, the Maserati Picchio rumor has recently resurfaced. We'll just have to see. The first Picchio unveiled back in 2002 (I think) had the trident on it and that hasn't come to anything yet.
Old 2 Apr 2005, 00:15 (Ref:1267581)   #15
pederb
Veteran

European Union
Berlin
pederb has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I just go back from California Speedway after watching their practice runs.
A lot of cars not many spectators.
Old 2 Apr 2005, 04:50 (Ref:1267633)   #16
kbeech
Rookie

United States
Alexandria, VA
kbeech should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pederb
I just go back from California Speedway after watching their practice runs.
A lot of cars not many spectators.
That seems to be the one of the few problems with GA. They have no problem attracting car owners to the series but fans just don't seem to be too interested.

Old 2 Apr 2005, 15:34 (Ref:1267928)   #17
chocmonster7
Racer

United Kingdom
Darlington
chocmonster7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some of us are interested just can't make it over to the US for the races!
Wish Sky or Motors would show it in the UK...
Old 2 Apr 2005, 15:43 (Ref:1267933)   #18
billnchristy
Veteran

United States
Lawrenceville GA
hopefully when everything is fully established they will...you still get race world dontcha? i know its not the same, but i watch the recaps on there sometimes...well, did, the cable company pulled FSW...
Old 2 Apr 2005, 16:11 (Ref:1267950)   #19
chocmonster7
Racer

United Kingdom
Darlington
I saw highlights of Daytona on a Raceworld programme, that was a couple of weeks ago but nothing since. I'm thankful for the live timing and webradio, luckily I have a good imagination.
Old 2 Apr 2005, 18:25 (Ref:1268062)   #20
nsxr
Racer

nsxr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
with the crowd for the season finale they were more crew then fans. Sorry but GTLive got more people. 45,000. sorry had to take that shot. Bring on Dec 10th I think?
Old 2 Apr 2005, 18:44 (Ref:1268078)   #21
chocmonster7
Racer

United Kingdom
Darlington
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsxr
with the crowd for the season finale they were more crew then fans. Sorry but GTLive got more people. 45,000. sorry had to take that shot.
Why did you have to take it?

What's that old saying, oh yeah - "If you've got nothing nice/constructive to say then it's better not to say anything at all..."
Old 2 Apr 2005, 23:01 (Ref:1268262)   #22
billnchristy
Veteran

United States
Lawrenceville GA
I saw the "show" that GT-Live put on...gee i wonder why they got more crowd??
Old 3 Apr 2005, 04:36 (Ref:1268343)   #23
Danske
Veteran

Gollin just missed pole in the #77 Lexus Doran by 0.03s today. I really thought he had it but then Diaz squeezed out a faster lap as the session ended.
Old 3 Apr 2005, 04:38 (Ref:1268344)   #24
billnchristy
Veteran

United States
Lawrenceville GA
I think the Italians will be able to squeeze ahead tomorrow based on expirience...but once Pruett gets in the car...who knows??
Old 3 Apr 2005, 05:38 (Ref:1268433)   #25
Danske
Veteran

Gollin and Bobbi haven't had a trouble-free race yet. I've got my fingers crossed for them.

Nothing live on Speed before the race, so the broadcast should start on time too.