Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 30 Nov 2006, 17:18 (Ref:1778833)   #51
car13
Rookie

United Kingdom
Westhoughton
car13 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tintops

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
Race 4 - Classic Sports Car Club 'Tin Tops'. Another 1/2 driver 40 minute race for saloon type cars roughly covering a period of 20 years, the earliest being from the early 80's. Many of the cars would be regarded as almost contemporary and not historic (yet!) at all, so I'll just show a few pics of older cars in the race. I will however confirm that the race was won by the Gannon/Gannon Honda Integra type R by some margin from the similar car of Joe Giovanni, with the Addison/Mellor MG ZR 190 in 3rd. All three were no more than 4 years old.
The Burchill/Joss Renault 5 came 15th:-

First race in the 5 since buying blindly from ebay.....

nice to see my car in action, the racing was clean as it should be apart from the first corner antics. Funny how the bigger budget boys cause the damage. It's a 40 minute race which is not won on first corner.

Good field to run in apart from the britcar spec cars which you will not catch, but then can't be much fun for them doing parade laps. However, those of us with proper cars have fun in the midfield racing similar spec motors from a decent club based series.

Last edited by John Turner; 30 Dec 2006 at 09:21.
Old 30 Nov 2006, 18:21 (Ref:1778895)   #52
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Welcome Car13! A good eBay buy, then?
Old 1 Dec 2006, 12:38 (Ref:1779450)   #53
car13
Rookie

United Kingdom
Westhoughton
car13 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
Welcome Car13! A good eBay buy, then?
Yeah not bad the car came for under a grand.

Its was built from a used shell with new engine and box in 89, leda suspension, bespoke rear turrets, poly/ali bushes, twin 45's pro race ali rad, oil cooler, 2 kevlar seats and 5 point harness.

I had to spend a week cleaning the car as been stored in hay barn on stables, I removed 2 bird or rat nests and removed seat covers to have them cleaned.

Next was to get some acrylic windows produced and a trip to the tat yard for some window rubbers.

3 weekends later with a coat of hammerite inside the car and a tin of t cut the car looked half presentable.

We took the car to Snetterton after a good spanner check, we fitted new pads for the day I was trying to bed these in in the paddock the night before. Neither Andy or I had driven the car prior to this so a quick learning curve.

The car ran well apart from brakes came on stream 4 laps into qual' and expired on the last lap whilst fending of the proton.

We found that the green stuff may have been good engouh for my metro but could not cope with 5. Since snetterton new discs new ap fluid carbon metalic front pads and DS2500 in rear the car now stops. She has been out at bedford with Lotus on track which was good day to strech the legs and get used to her. Looking forward to 2007 with tintops amd upsetting a few mgs at the MGCC Silverstone event.

Last edited by car13; 1 Dec 2006 at 12:44.

Tags
classic sports car club, cscc