Old 12 Dec 2005, 14:13 (Ref:1482330)   #1
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
project...

Help please.

For a college project i need to review and develop a product.
I'm looking at the wheel safety devices on F1 cars which keep the wheel attached to the car in the event of an accident.

I'd like any information and especially photos or diagrams relating to this, are there any other series that run this system?

the project is to device an aftermarket product and i'm looking at producing an inexpensive product for use in club racing to increase safety.

I think it is a cable running from the body to the hub but any help would be much appreciated.
Old 12 Dec 2005, 15:54 (Ref:1482396)   #2
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
exactly that a cable. Trick is making them the right length so they don't flail back and bop dear pedro on the noggin. Also made out of a material capable of withstanding the correct loads.
Old 12 Dec 2005, 17:08 (Ref:1482434)   #3
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Cant help you on your question Smokey 6 litre but I am intriged to know what is your Smokey 6 litre and is it still smokey and if so why? I don't know naff all about F1 cars apart from the fact they are boring to watch but I do know a fair bit about Smokey 6 litres!
Old 12 Dec 2005, 21:08 (Ref:1482600)   #4
scarbs
Rookie

European Union
Hertfordshire, UK
scarbs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the tethers pass through the front legs of the lower (hollow) wishbone. At the chassis side they emerge and end in a loop which is bolted to the front bulkhead of the chassis near the (pictured as the two bolts low down with thealloy covering plate. At the upright side they emerge from the wishbone and bolt to the upright. Getting to see the upright end is difficult as they are shrouded in the brake ducts. I have seen one tether fasten to the same bolt that secures the lower wishbone\rod end to the upright

Old 12 Dec 2005, 21:16 (Ref:1482606)   #5
graham bahr
Veteran

England
cambs
graham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgraham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
they are actually tethering the hub assembly rather than the wheel, they wont do anything if the wheel itself comes off and the hub stays attached to the car.

its not speed thats dangerous, just the sudden lack of it!
Old 12 Dec 2005, 21:19 (Ref:1482614)   #6
graham bahr
Veteran

England
cambs
graham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgraham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey 6 litre
Help please.

the project is to device an aftermarket product and i'm looking at producing an inexpensive product for use in club racing to increase safety.

club racers dont generally have isssues with wheels and hubs flying off.

why dont you ask the marshals? if there is one common thing that could easily and cheaply be sorted they should an idea or two

its not speed thats dangerous, just the sudden lack of it!
Old 12 Dec 2005, 22:46 (Ref:1482676)   #7
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They are fairly inexpensive anyway its just braided kevlar. The only expensive thing with kevlar is the amount of cutting blades you go through.
Old 14 Dec 2005, 10:58 (Ref:1483768)   #8
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by graham bahr

why dont you ask the marshals? if there is one common thing that could easily and cheaply be sorted they should an idea or two
i was a marshall for a year, good fun but the need for part-time work stopped free time at weekends. luckily my dad has replaced me as a Snetterton regular.

Good idea tho, i might go pop a post in the marshalls forum.

Thanks for all the help people, much appreciated.
Old 14 Dec 2005, 11:37 (Ref:1483801)   #9
deadsquirrel
Veteran

United Kingdom
Deepest Warwickshire
deadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You might also want to look at NASCAR for some inspiration. If you watch some of the spectacular incidents (I'm minded of Elliott Sadlers wreck at Talledega last year) of cars barrel rolling, ALL the major pieces of the car (boot lid, bonnet, wheels) are tethered to the chassis and stay with the car during the incident - there have been situations where bonnets/boot lids have made it over catch fencing to the spectators.