Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 7 Jan 2011, 01:53 (Ref:2812212)   #1
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Nowra in pole position for racetrack

Found this via Facebook

http://www.southcoastregister.com.au...k/2039547.aspx

Quote:
Nowra in pole position for racetrack

05 Jan, 2011 08:23 AM

SHOALHAVEN could become a car-racing centre, with the Confederation of Australian Motor Sport interested in a top track being developed west of the town.

During the recent Shoalhaven City Council meeting, council’s financial director Peter Dun confirmed Australia’s peak motor sport body had shown an interest in developing a racetrack off Main Road 92.

Cr Greg Watson was quick to extol the virtues of an expanded motor racing industry in the Shoalhaven, saying it could bring “many millions of dollars” to the region.

“This is a major industry that could bring an enormous amount of wealth to the area and jobs,” Cr Watson said.

“These opportunities only come along every so often.”

He said the proposal centred in building a racing centre and major regional facility at Yerriyong, near the existing motocross track.

As many major regional racetracks were being closed or facing the prospect of closure to free up land for redevelopment, Cr Watson said there would be plenty of money available to build a new facility on Nowra’s outskirts.

While there was a rumbling of disquiet among some at the meeting, and Cr Amanda Findley even spoke about people racing “goat carts”, Cr Gareth Ward was also quick to defend exploring the motor racing options.

“This is about the everyday Aussie wanting to enjoy their motorsports in the Shoalhaven,” he said.

Council voted to set up a committee comprising economic development manager Greg Pullen, tourism manager Tom Phillips, Roger Walker, Paul Sutton and Trevor Bridge to investigate the feasibility of building a new raceway near Nowra.

But there's also this a couple of days later....

http://www.southcoastregister.com.au...r/2041518.aspx

Quote:
Racetrack won’t get traction: councillor07 Jan, 2011 09:36 AM
A MOTOR racing track west of Nowra would be unlikely to succeed, according to Shoalhaven City Councillor John Fergusson.

“If they can’t make Eastern Creek work, how do they have a hope of making something work in Nowra?” he asked.

Cr Fergusson was responding to the formation of a committee to explore the feasibility of a motor racing track after interest in such a facility was shown by the Confederation of Australian Motor Sports.

“Eastern Creek continues to be burning a hole in NSW taxpayers’ pockets despite being centrally located in western Sydney, with a huge population base to support it,” he said.

“It’s difficult to contemplate that a high-cost, high-maintenance and seldom used facility would have any economic justification.”

Cr Fergusson said there would also be enormous environment obstacles to overcome before the proposed track could become a reality.

Cr Fergusson’s comments put him at odds with Crs Greg Watson and Gareth Ward, who both championed the idea.

The council committee charged with exploring the proposal will include economic development manager Greg Pullen, tourism manager Tom Phillips, Roger Walker, Paul Sutton and Trevor Bridge.
Is Eastern Creek burning a hole in NSW Taxpayers pockets as is being claimed?? I thought it was pretty much booked solid nearly every day of the week for the whole year??

I thought the ARDC operated and maintained the site not the NSW government??

Perhaps the Councillor is confusing Eastern Creek with Homebush

Last edited by PVDA; 7 Jan 2011 at 02:01.
Old 7 Jan 2011, 01:58 (Ref:2812214)   #2
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The last thing they would need is involvment from CAMS, that would be not good at all
Old 7 Jan 2011, 04:01 (Ref:2812232)   #3
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVDA View Post
Found this via Facebook

http://www.southcoastregister.com.au...k/2039547.aspx

But there's also this a couple of days later....

http://www.southcoastregister.com.au...r/2041518.aspx

Is Eastern Creek burning a hole in NSW Taxpayers pockets as is being claimed?? I thought it was pretty much booked solid nearly every day of the week for the whole year??

I thought the ARDC operated and maintained the site not the NSW government??

Perhaps the Councillor is confusing Eastern Creek with Homebush
I thought the ARDC had a long term lease for the next 30 years with the NSW gubment, and making a profit or loss is up to the ARDC.
Old 7 Jan 2011, 04:49 (Ref:2812243)   #4
William Dale Jr
Veteran

Australia
Townsville, North Queensland
William Dale Jr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would have thought it would make more sense to draw a comparison with Morgan Park than Eastern Creek. If Morgan Park can survive, why couldn't a circuit at Nowra?

Even then, I don't see how they can back up their claims that any such facility would be "seldom used." There's driver training, track days, and they're just non-racing automotive uses I can think of. How much the venue is used depends on the vision of the people putting the plans together to design it so that it can cater for lots of different things.

Any info on the scale of circuit they're talking about? Club? National? International? I assume not the latter.
Old 7 Jan 2011, 06:49 (Ref:2812276)   #5
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Trevor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just shows you William Dale, how ignorant of motorsport some councils and councillors are, there is a certain council in North East Victoria who sometimes 'don't get it', fortunately for Queenland, Ipswich Council seem 'to get it'.
Old 7 Jan 2011, 08:26 (Ref:2812308)   #6
William Dale Jr
Veteran

Australia
Townsville, North Queensland
William Dale Jr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would have thought it was prudent to do your research before forming an opinion on something if you were a councillor. Or am I just ignorant about how our elected officials do business?
Old 7 Jan 2011, 08:36 (Ref:2812313)   #7
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If, a real big IF MR92 ever gets completed then it might be a goer. The problem is the NSW & Federal Goverments have been fighting for years over the funding and the fact that it has gotten as far as it has is a miracle. If it ever gets completed it would enable heavy transport access from the west via Braidwood thus opening up access from the Hume Highway. As it stands now to get to Nowra from the ACT/Hume Hwy you have to come down Clyde Mountain to Batemans Bay then travel up the coast, this is the only access for heavy trucks unless you use Picton Road and then travel down the princes Hwy.

There is no funding for the completion of the road, I have spoken to the project engineer and he confirmed this because we were doing forward planning and hoped to use it. They have spent millions of dollars building a heavy transport road to Nerriga and there it will stop, a road to nowhere.

If it were completed then the circuit might be viable until then I think they are having a lend of themselves, it is that simple.
Old 7 Jan 2011, 08:59 (Ref:2812324)   #8
ForumNick
Veteran

Australia
ForumNick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Dale Jr View Post
I would have thought it was prudent to do your research before forming an opinion on something if you were a councillor. Or am I just ignorant about how our elected officials do business?

Old 7 Jan 2011, 09:08 (Ref:2812326)   #9
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Trev View Post
Just shows you William Dale, how ignorant of motorsport some councils and councillors are, there is a certain council in North East Victoria who sometimes 'don't get it', fortunately for Queenland, Ipswich Council seem 'to get it'.
The motor sport precint at Willow Bank is nearly there, a Speedway track, a Moto Cross track would top it, but unfourtunatley, the technical difficulty of QR is ####. Tetley spent $$$$ upgrading Lakeside and has stated he wants to retire looking over said track, yet many people told me of the grand plans for QR, like extension's and improvements,(The track is bboked solid all year, dollars must come in) sorry but the Drag Strips has it, West Moreton car club have it, Karts have it, but sadly QR has lost it.

Please don't compare all of the Ipswich Motor Precint with other venues, as QR lets it down, Maybe AASA will inject the funds as opposed to CAMS.

Yep, Winton the new home of Vic Motorsport, oops AASA Motorsport
Old 7 Jan 2011, 18:42 (Ref:2812640)   #10
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Through my work I have been learning more and more about race track building, running and marketing. I'm sure I have a lot to learn, but at least with what I know, it all depends how you go about it. You can build a basic track for club racers, driver training, track days and so on for a reasonable cost.
Old 8 Jan 2011, 00:54 (Ref:2812779)   #11
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fomoco View Post
Maybe AASA will inject the funds as opposed to CAMS.
Unlikely.

Neither CAMS or AASA should inject any funds into any sort of motorsport tracks or event promoting, they should concentrate on the rules and insurance side of the sport.
Old 10 Jan 2011, 03:54 (Ref:2813512)   #12
nafe!
Racer

nafe! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Auto action had a small article on this some months ago now.

Aparently it has strong funding support privately already and a far better chance of succeeding then some of the other tracks that have been muted all over nsw in the last few years.

The track if i remember right is planned to be in the vicinty of 4km long and will be built on land adjacent to hmas albatross. With the land already zoned for high noise and never to be developed for housing its already got positives going for it.

I dont believe there are any issues at all with transport to the location. The princess highway runs right past it for heavy vehicle access.

To me its a perfect town for it as well, nowra has a very strong motorsport fan and competitor base. The demographic suits it and with the entire south coast not having access to a race track other then wakefield and eastern creek i think its in a perfect location.

Fingers crossed it goes ahead.
Old 13 Jan 2011, 06:04 (Ref:2815089)   #13
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nafe! View Post

I dont believe there are any issues at all with transport to the location. The princess highway runs right past it for heavy vehicle access.
You have just illustrated you know nothing about heavy transport. If it ever became a circuit that was capable of running top of the line meetings how do all the Melbourne teams get there? Via Picton Road or Clyde Mountain, end of story. Clyde mountain has issues like ice in winter etc while Picton Road adds hundreds of K's to the trip. Of course they could come up the coast but no one runs B doubles down the Princes Highway unless forced to and I believe it has a truck length limit, only short B doubles and I am not sure if they are allowed south of Nowra, this was the case at any rate. It only takes one smash and you are stuck for hours in a truck as there is no alternative. Have you asked yourself why they are building MR92 to such a high standard? I have been driving up and down that road in trucks for over 30 years and there is nothing you can tell me about it.

Whether the area would support a track is uncertain. The demographic of the area is of people who are quite old, it is a retirement area with a large elderly population. not exactly what you want to support a race track. Like all country towns the young have to move out to further their education and careers and rarely move back. The speedway that is there is not exactly booked out every week and in local terms gets good advertising coverage right back to Wollongong.

I really do hope it goes ahead as it is another track in NSW and god knows we need that, it is also closer to me and I am all for that. I just think it is another pipe dream that gets floated around, who starts this stuff? do they really do their homework before floating these ideas? I wouldn't like to bet my superannuation on it ever getting built. It reminds me of the replacement for OP, when I heard about that I nearly fell over laughing as it was never going to get built though others told me I did not know what I was taking about. Seems I did.
Old 14 Jan 2011, 11:58 (Ref:2815628)   #14
Rachel Richards
Racer

Wake Island
In a small house by the sea
Rachel Richards should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think a lot of you need to take a deep breath....Icy roads, cant drive B doubles...., there are other forms of racing in this country you know.

From a quiet convo I had back in November, I am led to believe that chasing The V8 Supercars isn't exactly what this place is about.

The business plan claims the circuit used more than 300 days a year, with an economic boost to the region of more than $10 Million per-annum.

With both Eastern Creek, and Wakefield booked out up to 6 months in advance, i'd say it's a good chance of being more than viable, and not just from a catchment of 50 km around: try 250 Km and see where get.

Some of the names associated are quite well established businessmen in the area, and have the means to make it happen.

Let's hope it flies, but either way, don't drop terds on it just yet !
Old 15 Jan 2011, 07:02 (Ref:2815962)   #15
nafe!
Racer

nafe! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
You have just illustrated you know nothing about heavy transport. If it ever became a circuit that was capable of running top of the line meetings how do all the Melbourne teams get there? Via Picton Road or Clyde Mountain, end of story. Clyde mountain has issues like ice in winter etc while Picton Road adds hundreds of K's to the trip. Of course they could come up the coast but no one runs B doubles down the Princes Highway unless forced to and I believe it has a truck length limit, only short B doubles and I am not sure if they are allowed south of Nowra, this was the case at any rate. It only takes one smash and you are stuck for hours in a truck as there is no alternative. Have you asked yourself why they are building MR92 to such a high standard? I have been driving up and down that road in trucks for over 30 years and there is nothing you can tell me about it.

Whether the area would support a track is uncertain. The demographic of the area is of people who are quite old, it is a retirement area with a large elderly population. not exactly what you want to support a race track. Like all country towns the young have to move out to further their education and careers and rarely move back. The speedway that is there is not exactly booked out every week and in local terms gets good advertising coverage right back to Wollongong.

I really do hope it goes ahead as it is another track in NSW and god knows we need that, it is also closer to me and I am all for that. I just think it is another pipe dream that gets floated around, who starts this stuff? do they really do their homework before floating these ideas? I wouldn't like to bet my superannuation on it ever getting built. It reminds me of the replacement for OP, when I heard about that I nearly fell over laughing as it was never going to get built though others told me I did not know what I was taking about. Seems I did.
We arent talking about the viability of starting a trucking company that is budgeted upon transport costs, time frames etc.

This is motorsport, recreation and competition. If the road conditions dictate that a particular route must be taken its done because the circuit is where it is.

I really do believe that your overstating the difficulty in getting such a location. Going by the huge amount of truck traffic that does have to get to the area for everything else but motorsport im sure its really not that big of a deal.

The fact that it has got to this point in the development process is proof enough that its not a major issue.

I have heard similar things to what Rachel has mentioned. And with points like she mentions regarding track usage in nsw it should do just fine.

Lets hope it happens.
Old 16 Jan 2011, 00:09 (Ref:2816245)   #16
flightlessbird
Rookie

flightlessbird should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Careful of the Government they put the stop on the second track at Bathurst, with a lot used cattle feed. There is also talk of a track near they Appin road Princes Highway corner
Old 29 Aug 2015, 22:44 (Ref:3569720)   #17
Terry S
Racer

Terry S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anyone know any more about this proposal?

Did it just wither like so many other proposed circuits?
Old 30 Aug 2015, 00:00 (Ref:3569732)   #18
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Haven't heard anything about it in a very long time.
Old 30 Aug 2015, 07:58 (Ref:3569784)   #19
GreenMachine
Racer

Australia
Canberra
GreenMachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGreenMachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice thread resurrection Terry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightlessbird View Post
There is also talk of a track near they Appin road Princes Highway corner
News to me - source? (old post I know, but I hadn't seen it before)

I hear the central coast one is making progress. The drums are saying WP is getting expensive/difficult since the Ronkes left, so some options would be nice beyond Eastern Creek, even if the central coast is a longer haul for me.

A track at Nowra would suit me, but I haven't heard anything for a year or more. Access to Nowra via MR92 isn't bad - not freeway standard, but the upgrade is high quality. Access from Braidwood or Tarago in the east is up to rigid truck or trailer standard (currently working on the bridge at Oallen Ford), and I have passed enough semis on MR92 to know that they can traverse it, and I don't think they are all going to/coming from the Nerriga pub . Access from Sydney is great until the dual carriageway runs out, but the rest is more than adequate. The Vics, well they can play at Winton to their hearts content but if they want to come to Nowra it will be a looong haul, like us northerners going to PI. We don't do it because it's easy, we do it because we want to. And I agree with an earlier post, it is not an EC-type facility that is being proposed, more like WP, for club-level activity.
Old 30 Aug 2015, 08:42 (Ref:3569786)   #20
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
The drums are saying WP is getting expensive/difficult since the Ronkes left, so some options would be nice beyond Eastern Creek, even if the central coast is a longer haul for me.
I'm curious to know how that is the case, given that the only role that has changed is the day to day manager...the owner is still the same one, unless I am missing something?
Old 2 Sep 2015, 11:30 (Ref:3570717)   #21
Casper
Veteran

BAC couldn't sell heat to an Eskimo, what a fiasco this has turned out to be. The firings have gone on beyond the Ronkes, one manager is on stress leave and there is even talk of closing the place (WP) during the week. Winton was losing 400K and WP was in the black by about $1,000,000 a year and they got rid of that bloke, management at its best!!
Old 21 Sep 2015, 08:25 (Ref:3575632)   #22
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Ignoring the Winton/Wakefield stuff having attended a round of the Australian Motocross Championship (MX Nationals) at Nowra last month I have to say none of the factory teams seemed to have trouble getting there with their Semi's (B Doubles aren't allowed because most tracks don't have room for them).

I did the Sydney, Gong, Nowra run down and back from the airport and the upgrades to the highway were the only pain but once completed it won't be a bad run.

We had the choice of flying to Canberra or Sydney and upon some discussion with those familiar with the area chose Sydney as the more comfortable option, plus more flights out of Sydney on the Sunday evening than Canberra to get us all home so we could get to our day jobs the next day.

Granted getting from the Hume to Nowra is a bit twisty but I know one driver of a heavy rigid who, having some time to spare, drove back to Melbourne down the coast.
Old 21 Sep 2015, 08:55 (Ref:3575636)   #23
Casper
Veteran

My job was driving Wollongong to Eden in a heavy rigid and I could do it in the same time as a car which surprised a few people.
Old 30 Mar 2017, 23:10 (Ref:3722673)   #24
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
any News?
Old 31 Mar 2017, 07:09 (Ref:3722717)   #25
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Flower trumps Rubber!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 275 GTB-4 View Post
any News?
Oh Dear...

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-03-2...-coast/8396090

http://www.2st.com.au/news/shoalhave...sports-complex