Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 4 Jun 2008, 07:21 (Ref:2219361)   #1
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
WTCC: No more Macau next year?

What do you think about the article on touringcartimes? I can hardly believe that the delay of the arrival of the competitors'equipment last year the cause of their problems. IIRC some mistakes were made that could happen anyway.
But then what would be the issue? Is it the organizer of the championship that has to much influence about how the event should be run? I.e. things about schedules, TV, tyres, paddock-space. Or something else?
And what if this rumour is true. What would the alternatives be, both for the WTCC and the Macaou touringcarraces?
Your thoughts please.

Last edited by werner; 4 Jun 2008 at 07:24.
Old 4 Jun 2008, 07:26 (Ref:2219365)   #2
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
stedevil has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I don't care about the reason, I'm just happy if it gets dropped. Sure, streetraces might look cool, but since I'm not into revelling in carnage I prefer racetracks where drivers can actually pass.
Old 4 Jun 2008, 09:31 (Ref:2219490)   #3
THIM
Racer

Poland
THIM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Exactly, the Championship should have it's final on the track with more passing possibilities.
Macau Grand Prix, or whatever the name of the race is, can also gain not being a final round of WTCC - now everybody will fight rather than count points and drive safely. And let's hope manufacturers will go there anyway, whenever they will have to ship their gear, as it worked since so many years.
Old 4 Jun 2008, 13:32 (Ref:2219673)   #4
awrb
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham, UK
awrb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that Macau is a good circuit, with a fair few passing places for a street circuit. More than Oschersleben anyway. I tjhjink the loss of the championship would be bad for Macau... less competitors, less TV. At the same time, it would be a real loss to the WTCC. Every major championship has it's blue riband event, F1 in Monoco, the Indy 500, Rally of Finland, Le Mans... If the WTCC loses it's special event, it will become less interesting, and even less of a force in motorsport.

I think they both need each other, but the WTCC needs Macau more.
Old 4 Jun 2008, 19:59 (Ref:2219928)   #5
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The circuit of Macaou is great IMO. A long wide straight, ending in the Lisboacorner for overtaking, then the tight narrow but stil fast roads over the hill that are a real test for drivertalent and confidence, and then the 2 very fast corners at the end to set up an overtake.
There are only 2 problems: the congestion when someone spinns in Lisboa or the next corner, and the lacking of handbrakes in the cars that would make it possible to overtake in Malco-hairpin.
Old 5 Jun 2008, 10:49 (Ref:2220359)   #6
V8thunderfan
Rookie

Wales
Vale of Glamorgan
V8thunderfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having lived in Hong Kong .. I know how important the Macau races are to the both the economy and the people of Macau and the masses of Motorsport fans in Hong Kong. Macau is special it would be a sad day if it was ever dropped.
Old 5 Jun 2008, 11:13 (Ref:2220390)   #7
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Maybe that's the reason why they want to go to Morocco, as they have to secure their world championship status and race on three continents
Old 5 Jun 2008, 11:16 (Ref:2220392)   #8
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King
Maybe that's the reason why they want to go to Morocco, as they have to secure their world championship status and race on three continents
They don't need to go to Morocco for that, they already have Asia (Japan), Europe and South- and North-America (Curitiba and Puebla).
Old 5 Jun 2008, 11:51 (Ref:2220419)   #9
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Would be a shame if WTCC will not race at Macau. But on the other hand this street circuit is not the best circuit to decide a championship.

If Macau will not be part of WTCC I don't think WTCC (or BTCC, STCC) teams will race at Macau (except if local sponsors will pay them). Because of the narrow track a DTM or FIA GT race is not possible at Macau. So no WTCC race means F3 will become the only international and main event of the Macau GP?
Old 5 Jun 2008, 12:27 (Ref:2220463)   #10
Lam Pak
Veteran

Lam Pak has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!

wild melodramatics once again bring the ridiculous to a depressing, tragic works trying to defeat macau prestigious. thats non sense. wtcc will keep visiting macau for the next 10 years. i bet.

macau doesnt need wtcc. macau was big before wtcc. macau can be bigger after wtcc.
Old 5 Jun 2008, 13:55 (Ref:2220535)   #11
Valenok
Racer

Valenok should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think, WTCC need more Far East rounds to avoid transport problems as last year. Closer rounds - less problems. Another chinese or korean round.
Old 6 Jun 2008, 03:46 (Ref:2220970)   #12
Monkey Head
Veteran

Hong Kong
Hong Kong
Monkey Head should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by awrb
I tjhjink the loss of the championship would be bad for Macau... less competitors, less TV. At the same time, it would be a real loss to the WTCC. Every major championship has it's blue riband event, F1 in Monoco, the Indy 500, Rally of Finland, Le Mans...
pretty true
you can see the biggest spot entry size,and also Dr.T make his annual appearance in macau.SEAT president also visited last year.

Last edited by Monkey Head; 6 Jun 2008 at 03:50.
Old 6 Jun 2008, 04:54 (Ref:2220987)   #13
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE
Would be a shame if WTCC will not race at Macau. But on the other hand this street circuit is not the best circuit to decide a championship.

If Macau will not be part of WTCC I don't think WTCC (or BTCC, STCC) teams will race at Macau (except if local sponsors will pay them). Because of the narrow track a DTM or FIA GT race is not possible at Macau. So no WTCC race means F3 will become the only international and main event of the Macau GP?
The Guia race has attracted big names for the touring car race since the 70s. It'll continue whether its a WTCC round or not, there mightn't be as many big names there at the one time though of course.
Old 6 Jun 2008, 10:19 (Ref:2221176)   #14
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
I think the ETCC can be stopped if the WTCC won't race at Macaou anymore. If the WTCC-stars don't race there anymore, national stars have a bigger chance of winning the Guia-race. That will be look a lot better on their resume than winning the still not very well attended ETCC.
Old 6 Jun 2008, 10:46 (Ref:2221191)   #15
V8thunderfan
Rookie

Wales
Vale of Glamorgan
V8thunderfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69
The Guia race has attracted big names for the touring car race since the 70s. It'll continue whether its a WTCC round or not, there mightn't be as many big names there at the one time though of course.
Its a good point, there is always the Asian touring car championship boost the event too. I would have to say I agree with some of the earlier posts the WTCC won't stop racing at Macau.
Old 8 Jun 2008, 06:29 (Ref:2222311)   #16
SGarage
Rookie

Russian Federation
Moscow
SGarage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by werner
I think the ETCC can be stopped if the WTCC won't race at Macaou anymore. If the WTCC-stars don't race there anymore, national stars have a bigger chance of winning the Guia-race. That will be look a lot better on their resume than winning the still not very well attended ETCC.
WTCC teams get financial support from organizers for logistic expenses. I don't think ETCC team will get the same since this event not yet promoted and known well. So IMO to see full grid with national teams doesn't look
optimistically.
Old 8 Jun 2008, 09:27 (Ref:2222373)   #17
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
stedevil has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Isn't the ETC Cup also only open to privateer teams? That might explain a lot of why the sharpest drivers and cars aren't there.

Also, can you participate in a locally/nationally homologated car in the ETCC? If not, that further cuts down the amount of privateers that can compete.

Also, WTCC independents likely don't want to show up and potentially shame themselves by not winning (anything but a win might make it more difficult to secure sponsors for next WTCC season... as in, if you can't beat the local guys... why are you in the WTCC?)
Old 8 Jun 2008, 11:37 (Ref:2222435)   #18
SGarage
Rookie

Russian Federation
Moscow
SGarage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by stedevil
Isn't the ETC Cup also only open to privateer teams? That might explain a lot of why the sharpest drivers and cars aren't there.

Also, can you participate in a locally/nationally homologated car in the ETCC? If not, that further cuts down the amount of privateers that can compete.

Also, WTCC independents likely don't want to show up and potentially shame themselves by not winning (anything but a win might make it more difficult to secure sponsors for next WTCC season... as in, if you can't beat the local guys... why are you in the WTCC?)
WTCC factory cars aren't allowed to participate. I think privateers may enter - in last year's event there was Ceresoli.

That's the point - nationally homologated cars can participate. During past three years of the Cup there were Audi, Merc, Peugeot and Toyota on the grid.

Agree with your last sentence.

Tags
wtcc