Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 27 Mar 2016, 07:27 (Ref:3627738)   #26
6.213km
Veteran

6.213km should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid6.213km should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
David Wall ....

Hope that feels good mate

You had a car with no straight line speed - you did a good job all day

Then you go and block with over ten minutes to go.

I hope you get rubbed out for that, you don't deserve to stand on the podium.

You don't see that kind of stupidity in junior karting.

Event done and dusted - a bunch of generally old cars running around. Lets hope this is the start of the rejuvination of production car racing, because watching AU Falcons and Mazda MX6's drive around in 2016 isn't exactly doing the sport any good.
Old 27 Mar 2016, 09:19 (Ref:3627748)   #27
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Followed the event via the streaming and timing throughout the day thoroughly enjoyed it. From prod sports, historics to the 6 hour prods and didn't really care how old or new the cars were - the racing was better.
Old 27 Mar 2016, 11:24 (Ref:3627770)   #28
Richard Craill
Racer

Australia
Adelaide
Richard Craill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.213km View Post
Event done and dusted - a bunch of generally old cars running around. Lets hope this is the start of the rejuvination of production car racing, because watching AU Falcons and Mazda MX6's drive around in 2016 isn't exactly doing the sport any good.
Glass half empty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T.
Followed the event via the streaming and timing throughout the day thoroughly enjoyed it. From prod sports, historics to the 6 hour prods and didn't really care how old or new the cars were - the racing was better.
Glass half full.

Old 27 Mar 2016, 11:50 (Ref:3627772)   #29
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
Why NO results at all on Natsoft?
bathurst has a new timing loop, dont think its links to the natsoft system.

similar issues weere occuring at the 12 hour also,
Old 27 Mar 2016, 17:20 (Ref:3627826)   #30
Snowman.
Rookie

Snowman. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bathurst now links with mylaps rather than Natsoft. Hope that gets sorted soon.

Anyways - I was there in car 21.

The weekend was epic right up until we threw a belt off and killed the engine about 2hrs in.

The shoot-out was as enjoyable as anything I've ever done before in motorsport - getting clean space on that track for 4 laps. What a great buzz that was.

Rod got an awesome start and with good race speed and strategy we got to the front. I jumped in and was leading the race for a bit when the A45 limped out and had Chaz right on my ass which was pretty cool too - and the move he did on me through the kink to take the lead off me was clap worthy from where I was sitting.

We weren't going to beat them - but a podium was definitely on the cards. Oh wells - if and buts for many others too. I'll be back for 2017 - was a mega event to compete in, and for an average bloke like me it's brilliant that there is an event like this that's accessible.

Old 27 Mar 2016, 19:16 (Ref:3627862)   #31
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman. View Post
Bathurst now links with mylaps rather than Natsoft. Hope that gets sorted soon.

Anyways - I was there in car 21.

The weekend was epic right up until we threw a belt off and killed the engine about 2hrs in.

The shoot-out was as enjoyable as anything I've ever done before in motorsport - getting clean space on that track for 4 laps. What a great buzz that was.

Rod got an awesome start and with good race speed and strategy we got to the front. I jumped in and was leading the race for a bit when the A45 limped out and had Chaz right on my ass which was pretty cool too - and the move he did on me through the kink to take the lead off me was clap worthy from where I was sitting.

We weren't going to beat them - but a podium was definitely on the cards. Oh wells - if and buts for many others too. I'll be back for 2017 - was a mega event to compete in, and for an average bloke like me it's brilliant that there is an event like this that's accessible.

Well played Snowman.
Old 28 Mar 2016, 04:05 (Ref:3627939)   #32
old fart
Racer

Australia
a racetrack -wish it was Mt Panorama.
old fart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridold fart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a great weekend of Motor SPORT.

Great atmosphere, great fields and generally great weather.
The Porsche Regularity saw some drivers run out of talent but no doubt can afford the repair bill.
The Historic Touring cars saw tussles the whole way through the enormous field and a few dirty pants moments to fill the big screens.
HQs saw massive grids and I was thinking that surely there could not be enough bog in the world to make those ancient shells look good but guess I was wrong - overall some of the cleanest racing for a long long time.
Production sports was unfortunately another story. Lots of carnage,most of it totally avoidable. I am starting to think that maybe they have had their time in the sun and another category able to stump up the starting price should get a run instead.

The 6 hour was a very entertaining affair and credit must go them for good pit work and refuelling almost incident free much to the surprise of many considering that many crews were just friends etc and not trained refuellers such as those in Supercars.

A most enjoyable event with many instances of teams helping each other out and generally giving the mountain the respect it demands- those not doing that found out that it bites badly.

Good news is that the sponsors, Hi-Tec Oils were so taken with the 6 hour race that they have indicated that they will extend the deal for a few more years. Let's hope that the event gets bigger and better and I am sure with James O'Brien at the helm we will see that being achieved sooner than later!
Old 28 Mar 2016, 05:59 (Ref:3627957)   #33
Snowman.
Rookie

There were so many people there on the weekend who weren't racing in the 6hr (Prod Sports and other category people) that were all looking on the the quality of the racing - but also at the +10hrs of track time over the weekend the 6hr teams got and many plans were being hatched by others to get involved.

It will be very interesting to see how many cars enter the 2017 event but I expected it to quickly push towards the 72 car capacity the field is allowed. Which will be interesting since it was already like Syd peak hour at times with 50 cars. LOL

But full credit to the team running the event. Everyone I know that was involved had a ball - even if we didn't finish.
Old 28 Mar 2016, 08:03 (Ref:3627974)   #34
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Event done and dusted - a bunch of generally old cars running around.
Wasn't the first 12hr won by a car that was a couple of years old??

You've got to start somewhere, everyone would love to see new cars out there, the advent of the Hi-Tec Oils 6hr might give it the kickstart it needs.
Old 28 Mar 2016, 09:23 (Ref:3627980)   #35
jd yort
Veteran

Australia
On An Island
jd yort should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Enjoyed the race via the live stream and look forward to seeing how the event evolves.

Shame about the belt Snowman, was cheering you on.
Old 31 Mar 2016, 03:49 (Ref:3628917)   #36
Langers
Veteran

Langers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone know what the exact issue was with the A45, i.e. why it went into limp mode? Something that can be fixed, or an inherent problem with the car (like the ABS in the MkIV R32s)?

Last edited by Langers; 31 Mar 2016 at 03:55.
Old 31 Mar 2016, 04:51 (Ref:3628922)   #37
Langers
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
Also enjoying the coverage today. Plenty of Variety out there, hope this race grows in next few years, few later models be nice: HSV's GTS, Audi RS3, Porsche Cayman, Ford Mustang and RS Focus be nice additions to add to the current mix.
Hoping for a close finish.
Wouldn't RS3 and Cayman be over the price limit?
Old 31 Mar 2016, 04:54 (Ref:3628923)   #38
Langers
Veteran

Quote:
David Wall ....

Hope that feels good mate

You had a car with no straight line speed - you did a good job all day

Then you go and block with over ten minutes to go.

I hope you get rubbed out for that, you don't deserve to stand on the podium.

You don't see that kind of stupidity in junior karting.

Why was the Wall / Bowe car down so much on power vs. the newer Evos? It's still the same basic 2.0 Mitsu engine throughout all generations, no?

Agree with your last paragraph. Maybe a 10 year age limit would be in order.
Old 31 Mar 2016, 06:22 (Ref:3628927)   #39
T-star
Racer

T-star should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The eligibility list on the website indicated the previous model M3 and AMG C63 were eligible and they were $160k or so.

The Cayman wouldn't be let in due to no rear seats I think...but I don't like that rule.

For us spectators it would be quite epic to see the BMW M4, AMG C63, Audi TT RS, Cayman etc all go head to head...but from an event point of view they are better off keeping the event 'affordable' so that club/state competitors have something really amazing to look forward to.

Last edited by T-star; 31 Mar 2016 at 06:22. Reason: I can't spell
Old 1 Apr 2016, 07:06 (Ref:3629178)   #40
Snowman.
Rookie

Cayman needs rear seats. Cars like the TT-RS and say Lotus Evora which are both 2+2 still don't meet the "Touring Car" specs as defined by the original Group A homologation on which the series is based in regards to the size and space of the rear seats. So they both along with the Cayman fall into Sports Cars (2B) rather than Production Touring (3E). FWIW - RS3 would be fine to run. Just can't see anyone doing it over an A45 as it's not as quick. The issue with both of those cars is the gearbox - no 6MT option and the DSG's are just too unknown. I don't know for sure but I expect the A45 issue was gearbox related.

One of the main issues with all these new car options which seems to be forgotten is the situation with tyres. The cars can only run 18's due to no R Comps being available in bigger sizes. So many new cars come with 20's - and they just don't work with roll centres etc running on 18's.

As a competitor I'd love it if the series went to slicks - but it won't happen. But modern sports cars just aren't made on 18's these days so it's an issue we'll face until something is done about the tyre front for anything new.

Last edited by Snowman.; 1 Apr 2016 at 07:23.
Old 1 Apr 2016, 07:16 (Ref:3629181)   #41
Snowman.
Rookie

^^ That said we will see some new cars in 2017. The car to have will be the M2 - I'm sure we'll see at least one. I know of 2 X Ford Focus RS being built and if I had the budget to build one I'd be making a Mustang GT (wouldn't win outright but fark me it'd make you smile all weekend I'm sure). I'll be surprised if someone out there doesn't think the same.
Old 1 Apr 2016, 07:20 (Ref:3629186)   #42
Snowman.
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langers View Post
Why was the Wall / Bowe car down so much on power vs. the newer Evos? It's still the same basic 2.0 Mitsu engine throughout all generations, no?

Agree with your last paragraph. Maybe a 10 year age limit would be in order.
Wall/Bowe run different gearing being a 9 rather than 10. Power should be the same.
Old 3 Apr 2016, 05:05 (Ref:3629742)   #43
davo.
Racer

Australia
Sydney
davo. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
^^ That said we will see some new cars in 2017. The car to have will be the M2 - I'm sure we'll see at least one. I know of 2 X Ford Focus RS being built and if I had the budget to build one I'd be making a Mustang GT (wouldn't win outright but fark me it'd make you smile all weekend I'm sure). I'll be surprised if someone out there doesn't think the same.
Snowman, do you know if the team or teams building the new cars are they building them to run the national/ State series or just for the 6 hr?

The BMW M2 would be a good weapon to have & your right a Mustang would be a joy to fang & watch

I noticed a few cars missing this year, such as the Pro Duct Evo X's, Alan Heaphys Audi TT RS's & I thought Jim Pollicina may have entered his HSV VF GTS he was running around in the Nationals last year, I guess reliability & tires could be an issue, but on a qualifying lap it would be quick,

Also one of my mates was driving the #98 MY15 Subaru STI & he complained of losing 2-3 secs in the first sector & roughly 2 secs in the third sector compared to the front running cars, I'm hoping they can find some more speed in that car
Old 3 Apr 2016, 07:18 (Ref:3629763)   #44
Snowman.
Rookie

Davo,

I can answer a few of those. My understanding with Jims VF is it has tyre issues. It had a lot of problems at Phillip Island in the race after it scorched everyone in quali and it's never been seen since. FWIW - it's Jim that I have heard is building the 2x Focus RS. I'm guessing this will be a series car.

The TT-RS doesn't meet Group A regs in regards to the rear seat size. As a consequence it can currently only run in Class I (invitational) - which has a minimum lap time allowed of 2.35. So it would be great if you wanted to win a Class - but it has outright winning speed so it would be driven 8/10th only and I can't see anyone doing it unless the Class I rules get dropped - or else it gets permission to run in Class A outright.

Rob Marshall has put his EVO up for sale. If it sells quickly we may do the same. There is talk of going the Audi RS3 route with the teams Melbourne Performance Center connections. The 3 year security gives us confidence in building something new. We'd only be looking at running 6hr however (maybe 1 state round for a shakedown). I don't have the budget nor the inclination to run a full series. I come from a Targa back-ground and to me 6hr is like Targa Tas - it's one big fun event per year that you can spend 12 months finding a budget for. That said if there was state events in Vic I'd probably look at a few rounds but sadly there isn't one currently.

And yeah I expected AP's STi to be quicker. In fairness I think the pointy end was more pointy than many expected. 2.27's is fast for a Prod Touring Car. When Rod last won 12hr in the EVO their race laps were 2.31-2.35 which is where we were going to be and where the STI was. That wouldn't have got it done this year. You really needed to be able to run 29's to be in the mix. So if we keep the EVO we'll also need to find some speed.

Last edited by Snowman.; 3 Apr 2016 at 07:25.
Old 3 Apr 2016, 11:56 (Ref:3629839)   #45
davo.
Racer

Australia
Sydney
davo. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Davo,

I can answer a few of those. My understanding with Jims VF is it has tyre issues. It had a lot of problems at Phillip Island in the race after it scorched everyone in quali and it's never been seen since. FWIW - it's Jim that I have heard is building the 2x Focus RS. I'm guessing this will be a series car.

The TT-RS doesn't meet Group A regs in regards to the rear seat size. As a consequence it can currently only run in Class I (invitational) - which has a minimum lap time allowed of 2.35. So it would be great if you wanted to win a Class - but it has outright winning speed so it would be driven 8/10th only and I can't see anyone doing it unless the Class I rules get dropped - or else it gets permission to run in Class A outright.

Rob Marshall has put his EVO up for sale. If it sells quickly we may do the same. There is talk of going the Audi RS3 route with the teams Melbourne Performance Center connections. The 3 year security gives us confidence in building something new. We'd only be looking at running 6hr however (maybe 1 state round for a shakedown). I don't have the budget nor the inclination to run a full series. I come from a Targa back-ground and to me 6hr is like Targa Tas - it's one big fun event per year that you can spend 12 months finding a budget for. That said if there was state events in Vic I'd probably look at a few rounds but sadly there isn't one currently.

And yeah I expected AP's STi to be quicker. In fairness I think the pointy end was more pointy than many expected. 2.27's is fast for a Prod Touring Car. When Rod last won 12hr in the EVO their race laps were 2.31-2.35 which is where we were going to be and where the STI was. That wouldn't have got it done this year. You really needed to be able to run 29's to be in the mix. So if we keep the EVO we'll also need to find some speed.
Gee Pollicina musn't be short of cash then, that's a shame about the HSV, actually I was down at Phillip Island last year & was pretty impressed by the speed, but had a feeling it wouldn't last. I remember Rick Bates in the Pro Duct Evo trying to run it down & it just pulling away down the straight. Interesting in there is truth to the rumour then, the RS wouldn't go too baby one would think,

That explains why no Audi TT RS's, I was wondering why Mark Eddy didn't enter his as well as no Alan Heaphy cars. Yeah I wouldn't want to run around in a minimum of 2:35 either, maybe they will change it for next year. I was expecting a few BMW M3's from the state series as well, but they didn't show up either

I wonder if anyone will build any new M3s or M4s? I notice they are the eligibility list for the national series

How do you think the RS3 will go? Especially being auto

Yeah the AP boys were hoping to run around the 2:30 bracket but just struggled for horsepower, the car was strong across the top just not up & down the mountain, I have always noticed the STI's seem to lack straight line speed, it would be interesting to see a Dean Herridge prepared STI in the 6hr
Old 3 Apr 2016, 21:17 (Ref:3630017)   #46
jd yort
Veteran

Australia
On An Island
jd yort should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by davo. View Post
I noticed a few cars missing this year, such as the Pro Duct Evo X's
Considering Bob has at least 3 maybe 4 Evos all prepped I was surprised not to see any entered. That being said there has always been interesting stories around his race cars: Mk1 Cortinas, Escort Mexico and the Prod Sports Rx7.