Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 23 Jan 2008, 08:30 (Ref:2111781)   #101
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy
Anyone know why they were so high at the rear ?
The cars are actually lower in your pictures than they would be static. However the RS500 was found to handle better with a bit of rake in the car, plus by making the car higher at the rear, the whole body would act like a wing and push the car down more onto the track at high speed.
Old 23 Jan 2008, 09:01 (Ref:2111799)   #102
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT
The cars are actually lower in your pictures than they would be static. However the RS500 was found to handle better with a bit of rake in the car, plus by making the car higher at the rear, the whole body would act like a wing and push the car down more onto the track at high speed.
Ya I appreciate they would have been even higher at the rear static with no downforce. That's very interesting alright, thanks so much for that.
Old 23 Jan 2008, 10:38 (Ref:2111855)   #103
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Couple of my own, average quality but I think we can all appreciate them nonetheless!.

First one is coming out of Woodcote just before the start of the '88 TT. Dicko ahead of Soper, Ludwig, Rouse, Allam, Palmer and the GTS-R et al.

Second one, is a personal favourite from Birmingham 1989. Rouse and Harvey side by side in the BTCC round.
Attached Thumbnails
Start TT 88.jpg   Harvey, Rouse BTCC Bham 90.jpg  
Old 23 Jan 2008, 16:40 (Ref:2112096)   #104
Jesper OH
Veteran

Jesper OH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From a track test by German Rallye-Racing of an Eggenberger RS500 in late 1987 the tyre dimensions is given as 16" rims and 620 mm high front tyres and 17" rims and 660 mm at the back. Those 40 mm would indeed help the "drag race" look.
A year later a DTM spec. Wolf RS500 is given as 640 at the front and 620 at the back! Probably it was the other way around.

Some interesting pictures y'all. Never seen a decent picture of Dennis Leech' RS500 untill now.

Jesper
Old 24 Jan 2008, 08:46 (Ref:2112474)   #105
ian beckett
Racer

ian beckett should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To Chunterer or anyone else who attended the '88 TT...have you pictures of the lesser/less successful M3's,particularly Jens Winther's? I know it is off topic but still in our same interest zone!! Thanks Ian.
Old 24 Jan 2008, 17:37 (Ref:2112757)   #106
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Unfortunately I don't think I do ian. The main ones I put in an album but i've no idea what happened to the others. I promise i'll have a look though as i've got some from the Donny round earlier in the year lying around somewhere too.

Looking back at my TT pic, it appears I forgot the 3rd Texaco car that's in the pic. So it should read iirc: Dicko, Soper, Ludwig, Rouse, Allam (Hahne may have started), Schneider, Palmer with the GTS-R in the background. However out of shot before the Nissan would've been the TWR Commodore, plus Gravett and Bristow Sierras I think.
Old 24 Jan 2008, 17:48 (Ref:2112765)   #107
T-Man
Rookie

Germany
Germany
T-Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer
Looking back at my TT pic, it appears I forgot the 3rd Texaco car that's in the pic. So it should read iirc: Dicko, Soper, Ludwig, Rouse, Allam (Hahne may have started), Schneider, Palmer with the GTS-R in the background. However out of shot before the Nissan would've been the TWR Commodore, plus Gravett and Bristow Sierras I think.

Allam wasn't in the Wolf Sierra at the TT, drivers were Armin Hahne and Harald Grohs.

Jeff Allam was partnering Tom Walkinshaw in the Holden Commodore.

Anyways I really like seeing those pictures of the old Group A cars. Any photos from that era are appreciated.
Old 24 Jan 2008, 20:33 (Ref:2112840)   #108
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Thanks for reminding me T-Man, well done!

it's nice to look back over the cars in colour yes. The Sierra/M3 years wasn't my favourite touring car period the era immediately prior to them was, but it sure comes close!
Old 27 Jan 2008, 05:58 (Ref:2114486)   #109
Jesper OH
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesper OH

The races:
1990.03.18 – Mine
1990.05.20 – Sugo
1990.07.01 – Suzuka
1990.08.19 – Tsukuba
1990.09.30 – Sendai
1990.11.11 – Fuji

#13 Dunlop RS500 (yellow, red and black)
Jeff Krosnoff and Mauro Martini driving.
R1 – 3rd o/a, 3rd in class
R2 – 5th o/a, 5th in class
R3 – 7th o/a, 7th in class
R4 – DNF
R5 – 11th o/a, 8th in class
R6 – DNF
An Autosport race report says this is a three year old car - the first Trampio RS or an import?

Jesper
Old 27 Jan 2008, 10:27 (Ref:2114545)   #110
William Dale Jr
Veteran

Australia
Townsville, North Queensland
William Dale Jr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was having a dig through some pictures I retrieved from an old hard drive when I stumbled across this:

Eggenberger Sierra chassis numbers for rounds 2-4 of the WTCC. They were one of a series of pictures that, judging from the other pictures, were being used to advertise chassis 99263.

Anyone seen this before and are able to confirm its accuracy or, more importantly, have the rest of the list?
Old 30 Jan 2008, 09:04 (Ref:2116866)   #111
Ted Walker
Veteran

Ted Walker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
going back to post 92 I owned the "Mr Tompkins" pink Sierra. I bought it direct from Brooklyn and used on the road still in full Group A trim. It now lives in Wales.
Old 30 Jan 2008, 15:00 (Ref:2117081)   #112
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

I'll add a few more action shots to the thread for you Cossie lovers over next couple days!

First 2 are from the 1987 Soaking wet TT.

1/ Poleman Soper's Eggenberger RS500 and Rouse's WTCC Red Tele Moustique/Giroflex example alongside.

2/ Ludwig/Niedzwiedz sister Eggenberger RS500 from the Grandstand.
Attached Thumbnails
Soper Rouse Grid TT '87.jpg   Eggenberger TT '87.jpg  

Last edited by chunterer; 31 Jan 2008 at 19:49.
Old 31 Jan 2008, 18:36 (Ref:2117973)   #113
Jesper OH
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Dale Jr
I was having a dig through some pictures I retrieved from an old hard drive when I stumbled across this:

Eggenberger Sierra chassis numbers for rounds 2-4 of the WTCC. They were one of a series of pictures that, judging from the other pictures, were being used to advertise chassis 99263.

Anyone seen this before and are able to confirm its accuracy or, more importantly, have the rest of the list?
Had a look at the cars from the three events mentioned, and here's what I've found looking at the streamer on top of the front screen and tape on head lights:

Jarama
#6 [99261] - black screan / red tape
#7 [99262] - white screan / red tape
#12 [99263] - no info

Dijon
#7 [99262] - white screan / red tape
#12 [99263] - no info

Nürburgring
#7 [99263] - white screan / yellow tape
#12 [99262] - no info

At least car #6 is consistent based on these factors, but that's still a bit of a long shot to base anything on this alone. Here's the rest of the season:

Spa-Francorchamps
#6 - black screan / red tape
#7 - white screan / yellow tape
#12 - no info

Brno (now in RS500 spec.)
#7 - black screan / yellow tape

Silverstone
#6 - no info
#7 - black screan / red tape
#12 - no info

Bathurst
#6 - white screan / yellow tape
#7 - red screan / red tape
#12 - black screan / black tape

Calder
#6 - white screan / yellow tape
#12 - no info

Wellington
#6 - no info
#12 - no info

Fuji
#7 - black screan / yellow tape
#8 - no info

Jesper
Old 31 Jan 2008, 19:15 (Ref:2117991)   #114
PZR
Racer

Japan
London, UK.
PZR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jesper,
I hope I can fill in a few gaps:

Quote:
Some more Japanese RS500 entries. This time 1989:

#2 unknown team RS500 (rounds 1-6)
Kazuo Shimizu and Hideshi Matsuda driving the entire season.
This was the 'CIESSE PIUMINI' / TRAMPIO team car. Famous paint scheme.

Quote:
#13 Dunlop (unknown team) RS500 (rounds 1-6)
Naoki Nagasaki and Maurizio Sandro Sala driving all six rounds. Jeff Krosnoff added for rounds 2, 3 and 6.
This was the 'SHIMIZU' ( 'SHIMZ' logo on car ) team car.

Quote:
#30 unknown team RS500 (rounds 2-4, 6)
Suguru Akaike and Kauro Iida driving.
This was the DUNLOP / 'MARS WINE' team, and that's Kaoru Iida.

Quote:
#31 unknown team RS500
Stig Blomqvist, Stefan Johansson and Robb Gravett was the drivers lineup.

#32 unknown team RS500
Kaj Bornebusch and Shunji Kasuya driving. This is likely Bornebusch’ car far from home.
These were both run under the team name 'LEVOC EVOLUTION' with 'Grand Prix M3' and 'Super Evolution' sponsorship decals, running on Yokohama tyres.

I have pictures of all of these cars in Japan. Would they help?
Old 31 Jan 2008, 19:25 (Ref:2117996)   #115
Jesper OH
Veteran

Pictures will most definitely always be a very welcome addition . Also thank you for your additions to team names and sponsors. Do you by any chance have information regarding team principals behind the various entries?

I'm currently rewieving my notes on the All Japan TCC '85-'93 and will start a threat on the subject as soon as I am ready.

Jesper
Old 31 Jan 2008, 19:28 (Ref:2118000)   #116
PZR
Racer

Japan
London, UK.
A few more jigsaw puzzle pieces:

Quote:

#3 unknown team RS500
Yojiro Terada and Suguru Akaike driving.
Team 'ARTNATURE' ( a hair replacement clinic, by the way ), blue with a yellow stripe.

Quote:
#13 Dunlop RS500 (yellow, red and black)
Jeff Krosnoff and Mauro Martini driving.
Actually Dunlop / 'TEAM SHIMIZU' ( 'SHIMZ' logo on car ) as in 1989.

Quote:
#20 Trakstar RS500
Stefan Johansson and Robb Gravett partnered up once more, but this time in a British RS500. Paolo Barilla was also part of the driving squad.
Entered as 'Team NAPOLEX Sierra Cosworth' with 'NAPOLEX' sponsorship on car.

Again, I have pics of them all.......... ?
Old 31 Jan 2008, 19:34 (Ref:2118006)   #117
PZR
Racer

Japan
London, UK.
Quote:
Do you by any chance have information regarding team principals behind the various entries?
Aha! The shadowy figures and twists and turns of Japanese domestic racing.........

Quote:
I'm currently rewieving my notes on the All Japan TCC '85-'93 and will start a threat on the subject as soon as I am ready.
'85~'93??!! That sounds like a big job. I'll make sure to keep my head below the parapet, or else I'll have the equivalent of a full time job on my hands....
Old 31 Jan 2008, 19:49 (Ref:2118018)   #118
Jesper OH
Veteran

An Autosport race report from 1990 says that the #13 Dunlop/Shimizu car was a three year old car, making it either the original Trampio car of 1987 or an import?

So, if I understanding your last post correct, if I'm bewildered about the nature of teams over seasons, it's because that's the way it very much looks What a relief!

Jesper
Old 1 Feb 2008, 08:50 (Ref:2118131)   #119
ian beckett
Racer

ian beckett should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello PZR,here I am again looking for your help!! I have just spent an enjoyable couple of months collecting models of the Skylines which raced in Japan from'91 to '93.I have information on all but the Napolex car which perhaps only raced at the '91Intertec and the AIM car which was red with yellow stripe and again I think only raced in '91? Do you have any pictures of either of them to help in the accurate building of them? I also have just bought decals for two of the Sierras mentioned by you and Jesper.I have pictures of the yellow Shimizu car but not of the #30 car of Akaike and Iida,again can you help? I realise that you are in danger of becoming the expert on Touring car racing in Japan,but many of us on this and other forums have found it particularly difficult to get reliable info' about Japan because of the language issue.Are there good websites that might help us?Thanks once again.Ian.
Old 1 Feb 2008, 12:39 (Ref:2118317)   #120
PZR
Racer

Japan
London, UK.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian beckett
I have information on all but the Napolex car which perhaps only raced at the '91Intertec and the AIM car which was red with yellow stripe and again I think only raced in '91? Do you have any pictures of either of them to help in the accurate building of them?
Ian,
Slightly OT on this Sierra thread, but by special request....

NAPOLEX Skyline GT-R, 1991:

AIM Skyline GT-R, 1992:

Hope they help a little.

Sierras to follow, when time allows.
Old 1 Feb 2008, 13:13 (Ref:2118355)   #121
PZR
Racer

Japan
London, UK.
Japanese Group A - 1987 season - Gr.A Sierras:

#10 - TRAMPIO
#8 - TEXACO
#7 - TEXACO
#6 - TEXACO

( clickable thumbnails )
Old 1 Feb 2008, 13:18 (Ref:2118359)   #122
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Interesting to see *anorak fact alert* that the Trampio car is in 'Normal' Cosworth guise and not RS 500
Old 1 Feb 2008, 13:43 (Ref:2118382)   #123
PZR
Racer

Japan
London, UK.
Japanese Group A - 1988 season - Sierras:

#1 - TRAMPIO
#6 - GRAND PRIX M3
#11 - CIESSE PIUMINI / TRAMPIO
#3 - DUNLOP SHIMIZU

Taking a deep breath and a cup of tea before uploading the 8 cars of the 1989 season, and the ten cars of 1990....
Old 1 Feb 2008, 14:02 (Ref:2118401)   #124
PZR
Racer

Japan
London, UK.
Japanese Group A - 1989 season - Sierras:

#1 - TRAMPIO
#2 - CIESSE PIUMINI / TRAMPIO
#9 - COSMO OIL
#13 - DUNLOP / SHIMIZU
#30 - DUNLOP / MARS WINE
#31 - LEVOC EVOLUTION
#32 - LEVOC EVOLUTION
#39 - ALAN MOFFAT / ANZ

Old 1 Feb 2008, 14:46 (Ref:2118431)   #125
Jesper OH
Veteran

(Continuing the OT, sorry, but...

The #12 Napolex car was driven by Stefan Johansson and Paolo Barilla for the '91 Fuji Intertec only, according to my notes. These two and Robb Gravett shared a Napolex RS500 in the previous year's race!

The #83 GT-R looks suspiciously like an ex-Gibson Australia car with the Winfield logos removed. As drivers I have R. S. Putiratto / R.S.プティラット and M. V. Manit / M.V.マニット - the translations are mine and doubtful. My guess is that this was an entry from mainland Asian - Thailand or Malaysia springs to mind, as one of the Winfield cars at one stage was raced there.

Jesper)

Didn't realise that you had posted a wunderfull selection of Japanese RS500, PZR. Thank you very much!

Jesper

Last edited by Jesper OH; 1 Feb 2008 at 14:49.

Tags
andrew miedecke, andy rouse, atcc, btcc, colin bond, dick johnson, dtm, eggenberger, ford sierra rs500, graham goode racing, group a, peter brock, trakstar, wtcc