Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 25 Jan 2016, 21:54 (Ref:3607965)   #1
JoshuaLeMans
Rookie

JoshuaLeMans should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What should I print out to take to the race?

Something which I forget to do every year is forget to print out all of the essential information for the race so I'm just wondering if anyone knows on what I should perhaps print out to take to Le Mans.

Quote:
I'm on about:
  • Statistics (race results, fastest laps)
  • Guides
  • Spotters Guide
Should I print off anything else than what I have listed above
Old 25 Jan 2016, 22:04 (Ref:3607970)   #2
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Very much depends on who you are .
Personally I make a calendar, and laminate a spottersguide, and that is pretty much it.
Old 26 Jan 2016, 06:15 (Ref:3608022)   #3
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Maps of the circuit and the village are also useful (roads to Arnage and Mulsanne, ACO main spots, stands...).
Old 26 Jan 2016, 07:30 (Ref:3608033)   #4
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
You should print out my comprehensive, one page entry list.
Old 26 Jan 2016, 22:31 (Ref:3608293)   #5
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaLeMans View Post
Something which I forget to do every year is forget to print out all of the essential information for the race so I'm just wondering if anyone knows on what I should perhaps print out to take to Le Mans.

Year 1 I printed out lots - the Club Arnage guide, a spotter's guide, maps at various scales, etc.

In a lot of ways none of it was wasted, but with the exception of a spotter's guide nothing's really been reprinted. The guides are fun to read before the event, but much like many guidebooks aren't consulted by me much when on location, and maps beyond a Michelin European atlas are things that I figure are better self discovered. My other half likes a spotter's guide, but I think overall the impression maybe you're getting is that once you've been there most of what you could print out is readily impressed in your head.

I'm genuinely interested in what you find useful while you're there, what's superfluous, and critically what's lacking. It's the sort of thing I suspect could be usefully borne in mind in the FAQ bit of the site.
Old 27 Jan 2016, 12:47 (Ref:3608434)   #6
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
i tend to read most of the stuff before leaving and once there get a programme, free with aco membership so whilst at the circuit use that
Old 27 Jan 2016, 12:54 (Ref:3608437)   #7
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If I could only print one thing it would be Andy Blackmore's spotters guide.
Old 27 Jan 2016, 15:43 (Ref:3608491)   #8
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If you save the files as PDFs to your smart telephone you can carry more info around then you have time to read.
Old 27 Jan 2016, 17:54 (Ref:3608512)   #9
otisdog
Rookie

United States
Camano island, Washington
otisdog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ian, check your PM's...
Old 28 Jan 2016, 07:08 (Ref:3608615)   #10
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckosaurus View Post
If you save the files as PDFs to your smart telephone you can carry more info around then you have time to read.
As long as you have enough charge....

I agree - The spotters guide is about all I take these days. plus I have a large scale IGN map of the immediate area which can be useful before and after the race.
Old 28 Jan 2016, 23:30 (Ref:3608893)   #11
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by otisdog View Post
Ian, check your PM's...
Apologies for the delay - response in your inbox.
Old 1 Feb 2016, 23:24 (Ref:3610741)   #12
otisdog
Rookie

United States
Camano island, Washington
otisdog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You are too polite, sir.
Old 2 Feb 2016, 12:27 (Ref:3610867)   #13
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
If I could only print one thing it would be Andy Blackmore's spotters guide.
+1. That's all I take.
Old 2 Feb 2016, 17:40 (Ref:3610946)   #14
brico
Rookie

brico should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbrico should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What I've Been Reduced to

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaLeMans View Post

Joshua:
I was in the same boat in 2014 when I went to my first Le Mans. You name it, I printed it, bound it, laminated it, whatever - and then subsequently packed it and lugged it around the track for four days. With the exception of a few items, most ended up providing an extra layer of padding (and extra weight) in my backpack. Now, as I prepare for this year's trip I've reduced my "pile" to the following:

1. On paper: A copy of the Spotters guide (laminating is smart as it does tend to rain at Le Mans, just sometimes), photocopy of my tickets, and daily event/ track schedule (the photocopies of my tickets stay in the car).
2. On my phone: Spotters Guide (PDF), daily event schedule (PDF), track maps (multiple PDFs), and usually a couple of imaged from year's past that I may try to capture myself with my camera during the race. As far as the "battery life" of my phone I place the phone in airplane mode except for only a few times during the weekend. As a backup I keep a cigarette lighter/12v - USB adapter in the car for the yet-to-occur instance when I need to charge the phone. You can also add a battery pack to your phone (such as a Mophie).

As others have masterfully indicated there's a lot of information available (guides, other maps, etc.) that can be read in advance (either in days ahead or on your way to the track). So leave these at home or in the car and keep yourself light while at the track. You'll enjoy it more by travelling light and get more out of it by living in the moment.

One additional comment, a fellow member recommended I typically create a "short list" of places/ locations at the track (viewing points, etc.) that I wanted to hit, in order of preference, during the weekend. I found this helps keep me focused on key areas I want to visit without creating an agenda of places to visit - again enjoying the moment.

Brian
Old 6 Feb 2016, 09:13 (Ref:3612316)   #15
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It is definitely tempting to print off reams of stuff first time around.

I don't think I take anything now apart from travel documents. I just pick up a programme from the guy wandering through the campsite and that's got everything I need. Full entry list booklet, stats, the most detailed (and up to date) track maps with facilities, big screens etc.

Then after the race it just goes into a box at home along with all the free 'tat' I've accumulated during the week.