Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 31 Oct 2014, 12:52 (Ref:3470235)   #1
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
United States Grand Prix Thread

The F1 circus rolls into Austin, Texas this weekend for the seventeenth of nineteen rounds.

In terms of the championships, while Mercedes have sewn up their inevitable constructors', it's all to play for between their two drivers as Lewis Hamilton sits atop the standings by 17 points, but with 100 points still to be won from just 3 Grands Prix, it could more than conceivably go either way.

This is one of the new tracks that the drivers really enjoy with a relentless first sector and good passing opportunities as well as a bit of interesting topography.
Old 31 Oct 2014, 13:00 (Ref:3470237)   #2
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The qualifying format has been changed due to the lack of cars. Vettel is sitting out qualy as well because of an engine change, I think.

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlin.../10/16537.html
Old 31 Oct 2014, 15:06 (Ref:3470262)   #3
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes, Vettel will have to start from the pitlane, come what may.

Regarding qually, the slowest four cars will be eliminated in Q1, followed by the next four in Q2, leaving the usual ten for Q3.
Old 31 Oct 2014, 15:06 (Ref:3470263)   #4
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Yes I am looking forward to hearing the new PU's I think they are going to sound great.. I love COTA, they did a great job with our circuit...
Old 31 Oct 2014, 15:11 (Ref:3470264)   #5
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
A corner worker friend of mine just called me from COTA and says the cars are the quietest race cars he has heard around our circuit...
Old 31 Oct 2014, 15:26 (Ref:3470268)   #6
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

They certainly did. I remember Jeremy you were not too keen on attending the first race due to the sound.

Are you attending the race then Jeremy or qualifying too?

Last edited by Born Racer; 31 Oct 2014 at 15:38.
Old 31 Oct 2014, 17:27 (Ref:3470290)   #7
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For me noise isn't as high a priority as the quality of racing, and in that respect 2014 is the best season I can remember.

Looks as if the Sochi form book applies here too, but this IS only FP1!
Old 1 Nov 2014, 01:08 (Ref:3470392)   #8
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
They certainly did. I remember Jeremy you were not too keen on attending the first race due to the sound.

Are you attending the race then Jeremy or qualifying too?
That was more about crowds, and the ability of the race organisers to deal with them..

I was at COTA today and will be there on Sunday for the race..I must say I am truly very proud of our circuit...

Last year I thought the cars were deafening, way to loud to the point that you cant hear yourself think, so a certain numbness sets in..

So I have been involved in audio and music all of my life, I am a very young *old man* and not deaf I promise you...I can hear a woman from thirty feet away...

These cars are very interesting to listen too I must say, you hear everything, hissing, gear changing, chatter, tyre squeal when they run out of braking distance..

In my humble opinion they could be 10DB louder, and that would fix it..

They looked beautiful to watch and hear, its just marvellous engineering .... I love F1 !
Old 1 Nov 2014, 09:21 (Ref:3470453)   #9
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Love the circuit. It's one of Tilke's better ones. Apart from having elevation change and the twisty section(turns 3 to 9) - there is a decent flow to this circuit - which is rare for most Tilkedromes. It sort of feels like a rollercoaster ride. It would be interesting to see a wet race there.

As usual, the Mercs are the Kings. So far, the Williams haven't shown there hand here. The McLarens look pretty fast around here.
Old 1 Nov 2014, 11:04 (Ref:3470467)   #10
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
That was more about crowds, and the ability of the race organisers to deal with them..

I was at COTA today and will be there on Sunday for the race..I must say I am truly very proud of our circuit...

Last year I thought the cars were deafening, way to loud to the point that you cant hear yourself think, so a certain numbness sets in..

So I have been involved in audio and music all of my life, I am a very young *old man* and not deaf I promise you...I can hear a woman from thirty feet away...

These cars are very interesting to listen too I must say, you hear everything, hissing, gear changing, chatter, tyre squeal when they run out of braking distance..

They looked beautiful to watch and hear, its just marvellous engineering .... I love F1 !
It's good to hear some positive thoughts on here. I've noticed you can hear a lot more on TV, so can well imagine that in person. We couldn't go this year, but should make it to Spa next year.
Old 1 Nov 2014, 13:09 (Ref:3470491)   #11
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Speculation in the Times this morning that Sauber, Force India and Lotus may pull an end-of-first lap boycott of the race in protest about the inequalities of money distribution.......that'd go down well with the spectators........
Old 1 Nov 2014, 13:26 (Ref:3470497)   #12
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post

the shame is that 10db louder might well drown out all the noises that are so refreshing to hear. it's different but it's really something, isn't it?

as a hard product at the moment from a spectator point of view f1 is as good as it's been in recent memory. it's a real shame all the background drama is drowning it out. the two need to coexist.

(first one to say if the engine noise was louder it would drown the drama out gets glared at )
Old 1 Nov 2014, 14:26 (Ref:3470516)   #13
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
This could be an interesting weekend, with a depleted grid, the possibility of other teams not participating and the experimental running of the VSC. Otherwise I expect one of the Mercs will win, then again...
Old 1 Nov 2014, 18:39 (Ref:3470559)   #14
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quali is underway and Vettel's failed to make it to Q2.
Old 1 Nov 2014, 18:47 (Ref:3470561)   #15
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sauber timed it well for their first visit to Q3 of the year well done to Sutil.
Old 1 Nov 2014, 18:50 (Ref:3470562)   #16
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Quali is underway and Vettel's failed to make it to Q2.
no real surprise there
Old 1 Nov 2014, 19:05 (Ref:3470563)   #17
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think everybody used softs in Q1 meaning the top teams have not been able to save a set like they normally would.
Old 1 Nov 2014, 19:07 (Ref:3470564)   #18
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
The first two rows of the grid have a familiar look to them with the usual Mercedes shut out followed by the two Williams. Nico has pole but as we've seen before he could blow it at the start.
Old 1 Nov 2014, 19:19 (Ref:3470565)   #19
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
I see where Kvyat is due to take a 10 place grid penalty for using a 7th power unit part. So that will knock him back a couple of rows on the grid.

http://www.crash.net/f1/news/210434/...d-penalty.html

How convienent for the Red Bull teams that there are four less cars at the back of the grid.
Old 1 Nov 2014, 19:46 (Ref:3470568)   #20
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well not too much to be excited for in the race.
The track posed no real issues for the drivers.
Fast and fun basically. So now we look to Rosberg and
Hamilton to be the core of entertainment once again.
Would not hurt my feelings if they tripped over each other
and gave the boys 3rd on back some time in the sun.
Looks like nice weather, hope they get a good crowd.
Old 1 Nov 2014, 21:55 (Ref:3470590)   #21
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think it's time Bottas got a win. In a normal season with Mercedes not way out in front, he would have won races by now, and probably still would have if not for Williams' reluctance to try and beat Mercedes and just playing it safe, instead of aggressive like Ricciardo.

Anyway, did anyone actually miss Marussia/Caterham? I sure didn't. In fact quali part 1 was actually a fair bit more interesting. Normally it's a snoozefest as everyone just waits for those 2 teams to be eliminated already, and there's a tiny bit of interest in who the other 2 drivers are (usually Lotus or Sauber). I don't think they'll be missed in the race either, they're just backmarkers that get in the way. Neither of them ever had the money to compete, they were never going to be anything other than last, so I say good rinse to them and hopefully someone with an appropriate budget to compete can take over. Caterham couldn't even build a GP2 team that can get a podiums this year.

The only thing I'll miss is an extra 4 talents on the grid, often rookies although sometimes pay drivers. I suspect Palmer might be just another GP2 champ that has to go sports car racing with no seats in F1.
Old 1 Nov 2014, 22:55 (Ref:3470599)   #22
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzzor View Post
Anyway, did anyone actually miss Marussia/Caterham?
yes. but it was nice to see the back row of the grid not that much slower than the front row of the grid. on the other hand, it's not a two class formula any more, and the field's too small.
Old 1 Nov 2014, 23:26 (Ref:3470605)   #23
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
In 2012 and 2013, Lotus and Sauber showed quite well. Raikkonen had multiple wins in the Lotus, and Grosjean was on the cusp of winning a few times. Perez came darn close to winning in Malaysia with the Sauber. Also, lest we forget, Sauber was the team tasked with Mercedes' works Group C effort, and I think that went just slightly favorably, maybe.

Force India haven't exactly been slouches the last few seasons, either, or even in the first several races this year.

Sorry, but I consider 20 cars to be the minimum grid size that F1, or FIA GT, or any number of others, damn well ought to be putting on the track. Even if you don't subscribe to that number, 12 is getting VERY thin indeed. Haas has already delayed by a year, and until I see him do so, I don't expect him to fare any better than the aforementioned teams.

Just for a reminder, an actual, full F1 grid is considered, by the rules, to be 26 cars. When was the last time we had that?
Old 1 Nov 2014, 23:31 (Ref:3470606)   #24
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
The first two rows of the grid have a familiar look to them with the usual Mercedes shut out followed by the two Williams. Nico has pole but as we've seen before he could blow it at the start.
Turn one is where I will be watching Lewis spank him tomorrow....
Old 1 Nov 2014, 23:46 (Ref:3470611)   #25
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
In 2012 and 2013, Lotus and Sauber showed quite well. Raikkonen had multiple wins in the Lotus, and Grosjean was on the cusp of winning a few times. Perez came darn close to winning in Malaysia with the Sauber. Also, lest we forget, Sauber was the team tasked with Mercedes' works Group C effort, and I think that went just slightly favorably, maybe.

Force India haven't exactly been slouches the last few seasons, either, or even in the first several races this year.

Sorry, but I consider 20 cars to be the minimum grid size that F1, or FIA GT, or any number of others, damn well ought to be putting on the track. Even if you don't subscribe to that number, 12 is getting VERY thin indeed. Haas has already delayed by a year, and until I see him do so, I don't expect him to fare any better than the aforementioned teams.

Just for a reminder, an actual, full F1 grid is considered, by the rules, to be 26 cars. When was the last time we had that?
'95 before Simtek went bust I think. I'd kill to have 26 cars out there.

In strict sporting terms you could have 12 and have a fair race. But it just looks appalling in every other sense. A skeletal grid means a dying series.

It's possible Eccelstone will just quietly loosen the requirements needed to join the grid.