Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 28 Jun 2015, 03:50 (Ref:3554374)   #26
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Briscoe was very, very lucky that his flip didn't pitch him upside down. It seemed to flip every other angle but upside down.
Old 28 Jun 2015, 09:08 (Ref:3554392)   #27
Starfish Primer
Veteran

Spain
A Spaniard in Milton Keynes
Starfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamus View Post
Yeah, the pack racing was a result of the restarts. Most of the race was good but the end was too much. The first half of the race went green and it was great.
The yellows bring more yellows is a repetitive problem in the Indycar. Not only in ovals, we have seen neverending races in urban and road courses too.
Old 28 Jun 2015, 09:51 (Ref:3554395)   #28
Burp
Racer

United Kingdom
Gloucestershire
Burp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It wasn't pack racing. More like small groups. Vegas was 3wide with only 1 car leglnght between rows and full throttle. At Fontana they had to lift, shift and draft. Power/Sato and Briscoe/RHR were caused by people being squeezed. Happened quite a few times without contact as the drier in the middle lifted. That's the biggest issue. Imo
Old 28 Jun 2015, 10:01 (Ref:3554399)   #29
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Most of the race was going well with 2 wide or single file racing and cars passing each other. The end was ridiculous. I don't want to see pack racing, get rid of it Indycar.
I think that's the problem with restarts on ovals. The field will initially bunch up and will then spread out. However, with a lap or so to go, incidents like RH-R and Briscoe can and will happen.
Old 28 Jun 2015, 10:02 (Ref:3554400)   #30
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfish Primer View Post
The yellows bring more yellows is a repetitive problem in the Indycar. Not only in ovals, we have seen neverending races in urban and road courses too.
This is something that doesn't seem to happen in F1.
Old 28 Jun 2015, 10:08 (Ref:3554401)   #31
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Result:

1 Graham Rahal, Rahal Letterman Lanigan. Dallara/Honda. 2h57m40.6179s
2 Tony Kanaan, Chip Ganassi Racing. Dallara/Chevrolet. 0.3157s
3 Marco Andretti, Andretti Autosport. Dallara/Honda. 1.2490s
4 Juan Pablo Montoya, Team Penske. Dallara/Chevrolet. 2.1182s
5 Sage Karam, Chip Ganassi Racing. Dallara/Chevrolet. 2.9539s
6 Scott Dixon, Chip Ganassi Racing. Dallara/Chevrolet. 3.6092s
7 James Jakes, Schmidt Peterson Motorsports. Dallara/Honda. 4.9846s
8 Charlie Kimball, Chip Ganassi Racing. Dallara/Chevrolet. 5.3595s
9 Simon Pagenaud, Team Penske. Dallara/Chevrolet. 7.4054s
10 Jack Hawksworth, AJ Foyt Enterprises. Dallara/Honda. 9.5128s
11 Carlos Munoz, Andretti Autosport. Dallara/Honda. 11.6907s
12 Stefano Coletti, KV Racing Technology. Dallara/Chevrolet. 11.9206s
13 Pippa Mann, Dale Coyne Racing. Dallara/Honda. 24.3450s
14 Sebastien Bourdais, KVSH Racing. Dallara/Chevrolet. 25.1511s
15 Ryan Hunter-Reay, Andretti Autosport. Dallara/Honda. Contact
16 Ryan Briscoe, Schmidt Peterson Motorsports. Dallara/Honda. Contact
17 Tristan Vautier, Dale Coyne Racing. Dallara/Honda. 4 Laps
18 Takuma Sato, AJ Foyt Enterprises. Dallara/Honda. Contact
19 Will Power, Team Penske. Dallara/Chevrolet. Contact
20 Gabby Chaves, Bryan Herta Autosport. Dallara/Honda. 13 Laps
21 Josef Newgarden, CFH Racing. Dallara/Chevrolet. Contact
22 Ed Carpenter, CFH Racing. Dallara/Chevrolet. Contact
23 Helio Castroneves, Team Penske. Dallara/Chevrolet. Contact

Four Honda aero-kits and engines in the top 10 finishers and two of those on the podium, hopefully that will make Honda a little happy.
Old 28 Jun 2015, 10:41 (Ref:3554409)   #32
Marcus666
Racer

Sweden
Marcus666 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
With all the respect to the good racing.
I was scared shitless when they were all bunched up in the pack goin back and forth, waiting for an accident to happen.
Old 28 Jun 2015, 11:28 (Ref:3554411)   #33
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
That's because in F1 the cars can't get within about 0.7sec of one another, or on a bad day, 1-1.5s. Plus the marshals still seem to be okay running out on a green racetrack to pick debris up.
Old 28 Jun 2015, 13:21 (Ref:3554429)   #34
BudLightJaguar
Veteran

Finland
BudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
That's true. In F1, SC phase just begins and ends. In the ICS, it's like a domino effect.

Robin Miller's aftermath https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lM8LFynpu0

I'll buy Mr.Miller a bucket of nachos if we ever meet. Bob and Calvin, the IMSA cheerleading coaches, could never do that.

Last edited by BudLightJaguar; 28 Jun 2015 at 13:28.
Old 28 Jun 2015, 15:59 (Ref:3554484)   #35
Nikki Katz
Racer

Nikki Katz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know that the racing wasn't as bad as Vegas, but I was still uncomfortable with the end of it. I really hope that gets fixed soon, despite the positives that it seems to have created for Honda.

The crowd just looked horrible. I spent the first half of the race staring at the stands instead of the track. I don't see how the series can possibly survive at these levels. I bet they ignore the concerns about the calendar though.
Old 28 Jun 2015, 16:28 (Ref:3554489)   #36
BudLightJaguar
Veteran

Finland
BudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki Katz View Post
The crowd just looked horrible. I spent the first half of the race staring at the stands instead of the track.
Not just the stands, but the infield RV hookup site looked terrible. Even the former Grand-Am could sell more.
Old 28 Jun 2015, 16:30 (Ref:3554492)   #37
Burp
Racer

United Kingdom
Gloucestershire
Burp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
id rather 2015 Fontana than 2015 Texas.
Old 28 Jun 2015, 22:54 (Ref:3554610)   #38
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
A very interesting and mixed reaction from the drivers, regarding the race.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/119739
Old 28 Jun 2015, 23:16 (Ref:3554613)   #39
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
I thought it was breathtaking that made extraordinary demands on courage. Some draft passes didn't succeed, others did. It wasn't 'easy' racing nor was it trivial.

But it was extraordinarily dangerous and we don't need to lose drivers. And if Briscoe had of flipped the other way.................

As for the lack of attendees. That's the way it is everywhere except street races. That's the way it's always going to be. It's been like that for plus 10 years, it's nothing new. I'm surprised some of you guys are surprised by that.
Old 29 Jun 2015, 01:09 (Ref:3554625)   #40
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Sounds like I missed a good one. Is there a replay that anyone knows of?

I recall this race always being one to see and seemingly be at. Hearing that the stands and grounds were pretty much empty is a great shame, but this is IndyCar. Excellent on track product, excellent drivers with great racing but terrible promotions and poor scheduling means fewer and fewer people see it.
Old 29 Jun 2015, 01:23 (Ref:3554628)   #41
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
Sounds like I missed a good one. Is there a replay that anyone knows of?

I recall this race always being one to see and seemingly be at. Hearing that the stands and grounds were pretty much empty is a great shame, but this is IndyCar. Excellent on track product, excellent drivers with great racing but terrible promotions and poor scheduling means fewer and fewer people see it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cdAZ4w0TMo
Old 29 Jun 2015, 03:49 (Ref:3554639)   #42
BudLightJaguar
Veteran

Finland
Quote:
Excellent on track product, excellent drivers with great racing but terrible promotions and poor scheduling
Excactly like that. During my Toronto visit, I didn't see any kind of promotion in downton. No prints, billboards. Nothing at all. ALMS (and USCC) has had a pit stop demo at Yonge-Dundas Square for many years, IndyCar had nothing.
Old 29 Jun 2015, 12:45 (Ref:3554689)   #43
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Excellent on track product, excellent drivers with great racing but terrible promotions and poor scheduling means fewer and fewer people see it.
Actually, the folks at Cali Speedway promoted the heck out of the race according to a story on Racer earlier in the week offering all kind of deals.

At 1:30 on a Saturday afternoon in So Cal, the entertainment options are many.

The president of the Speedway told Miller that he would have Indycar back only if it was the season ending race and if it was in October.
Old 29 Jun 2015, 13:51 (Ref:3554711)   #44
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJJ View Post
Actually, the folks at Cali Speedway promoted the heck out of the race according to a story on Racer earlier in the week offering all kind of deals.

The president of the Speedway told Miller that he would have Indycar back only if it was the season ending race and if it was in October.
I am sure the actual speedway owners did, but I was referring to IndyCar themselves. Not sure how I got to Saturday morning before I found out there was an actual race. Perhaps that was a "me problem". Then again as you say, Saturday in June, waaaaaaay too many options.

----------

Thanks to Paradise City, I watched the whole thing last night after I had seen the Robin Miller rant. This was one of his top 5 races he's every seen?! Come on! It was a good show but he was using this description to further his opinion, which I mostly agreed with.

The big deal with this race is that I actually agree with Will Power for perhaps the first time ever. This "racing" is nonsense and if these guys weren't as good as they are, it would have been an absolute disaster and could be if they run this type of race again.

IndyCar rolled the dice on this track and they came out of it without an on track disaster. Attendance was disastrous and not sure about TV ratings, but am willing to bet, they are "typical" or worse.

And Graham was deserving of a penalty during the race; not tomorrow or mid-week. Silly.
Old 29 Jun 2015, 14:06 (Ref:3554716)   #45
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Yeah, the pack racing was a result of the restarts. Most of the race was good but the end was too much. The first half of the race went green and it was great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
I thought it was breathtaking that made extraordinary demands on courage. Some draft passes didn't succeed, others did. It wasn't 'easy' racing nor was it trivial.
Quote:
Graham was deserving of a penalty during the race; not tomorrow or mid-week. Silly.
Agree.

Quote:
As for the lack of attendees. That's the way it is everywhere except street races. That's the way it's always going to be. It's been like that for plus 10 years, it's nothing new. I'm surprised some of you guys are surprised by that.
Not surprised at all, just very worried. And even more that IndyCar executives don't seem the slightest concerned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudLightJaguar View Post
Robin Miller's aftermath https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lM8LFynpu0

I'll buy Mr.Miller a bucket of nachos if we ever meet. Bob and Calvin, the IMSA cheerleading coaches, could never do that.
Robin Miller is not alone.
Old 29 Jun 2015, 16:41 (Ref:3554736)   #46
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Something that's gotten lost in the convo here:
http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2015/0...ar-during-pit/
Please excuse the source; first hit on Google News search.

Any word on the crewman's condition? It looked pretty ugly.

This is the third race this year (I believe the count is correct) where we've had a injury on pit road. This seems to be more common in IndyCar this year than other forms of motorracing.
Old 29 Jun 2015, 16:52 (Ref:3554737)   #47
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzzor View Post
That's because in F1 the cars can't get within about 0.7sec of one another, or on a bad day, 1-1.5s. Plus the marshals still seem to be okay running out on a green racetrack to pick debris up.
They should try it out with IndyCar but how affective that would be on an oval, after going back to green flag racing, I don't know.
Old 29 Jun 2015, 16:57 (Ref:3554738)   #48
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJJ View Post

Having the season finale in October's not going to happen with Mark Miles in charge because he thinks the NFL will clash with IndyCar. I don't think it's occurred to him that someone can be an NFL fan and an IndyCar fan.
Old 29 Jun 2015, 19:58 (Ref:3554779)   #49
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
While it certainly could do better -- no argument there -- there's no marketing solution to this. Indycar dropped off the radar for too long.

It finds itself now as a "new series" for all intents and purposes, trying to project all new heroes that the public just aren't interested in and can't compete in a congested market place. Doesn't matter how fancy they get with their marketing; that ain't going change the basic equation here.

Indy 500 will give it enough momentum to keep things ticking over much as it is. There will always be an Indycar. We just have radically readjust our expectations that as to how popular Indycar can be.
Old 30 Jun 2015, 16:09 (Ref:3554943)   #50
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
While it certainly could do better -- no argument there -- there's no marketing solution to this. Indycar dropped off the radar for too long.

It finds itself now as a "new series" for all intents and purposes, trying to project all new heroes that the public just aren't interested in and can't compete in a congested market place. Doesn't matter how fancy they get with their marketing; that ain't going change the basic equation here.

Indy 500 will give it enough momentum to keep things ticking over much as it is. There will always be an Indycar. We just have radically readjust our expectations that as to how popular Indycar can be.
Not having a marketing solution, isn't going to attract advertisers and sponsors and is something that's plagued the IRL from its inception.