Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 17 Aug 2017, 07:26 (Ref:3759884)   #676
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
I absolutely love the fact that there's a proper drivers market in IMSA these days. Just adds lots of intrigue to see teams squabbling for the best drivers, poaching each other's stars, etc.
Old 17 Aug 2017, 11:34 (Ref:3759922)   #677
JLGarcia
Racer

JLGarcia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJLGarcia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamus View Post
Don't understand why Ricky would leave WTR.
He did once before, y'know.
Old 17 Aug 2017, 11:42 (Ref:3759925)   #678
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamus View Post
Don't understand why Ricky would leave WTR.
You've answered your own question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamus
Plus, he's with his father and brother.
He's a great driver in his own right, but he'll always be the second Taylor you think of at WTR.
Old 17 Aug 2017, 12:09 (Ref:3759930)   #679
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
I absolutely love the fact that there's a proper drivers market in IMSA these days. Just adds lots of intrigue to see teams squabbling for the best drivers, poaching each other's stars, etc.
Indeed. We are still waiting in the 2nd Penske announcement for 2 full time and 2 part time drivers. A driver to replace Cameron at Whelen, and are we sure the other 3 seats at ESM are fully claimed? Plus we have no idea who will be kept on in the Mazda program. I'd suspect they will keep Nunez at a minimum, but wouldn't be surprised to see 3 of the drivers kept.

We also aren't sure on who will be piloting the P2 cars. Hopefully JDC can bring back their current drivers, but what about the 2nd car they have mentioned? Will PR1 have new drivers? What about Visit Florida? Lots of announcements left I think.
Old 17 Aug 2017, 12:22 (Ref:3759934)   #680
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Indeed. We are still waiting in the 2nd Penske announcement for 2 full time and 2 part time drivers. A driver to replace Cameron at Whelen, and are we sure the other 3 seats at ESM are fully claimed? Plus we have no idea who will be kept on in the Mazda program. I'd suspect they will keep Nunez at a minimum, but wouldn't be surprised to see 3 of the drivers kept.

We also aren't sure on who will be piloting the P2 cars. Hopefully JDC can bring back their current drivers, but what about the 2nd car they have mentioned? Will PR1 have new drivers? What about Visit Florida? Lots of announcements left I think.
I think one is probably fairly safe, don't see Sharp stepping back any time soon. Interesting to see who they pair with Pipo and who the third drivers are.
Old 17 Aug 2017, 12:32 (Ref:3759936)   #681
JLGarcia
Racer

JLGarcia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJLGarcia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
I think one is probably fairly safe, don't see Sharp stepping back any time soon. Interesting to see who they pair with Pipo and who the third drivers are.

If they retain the others from this year, they'd be foolish not to put Dalziel & Derani together.
Old 17 Aug 2017, 23:49 (Ref:3760046)   #682
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If ESM are serious about next year, then Scott Sharp cannot drive for them...That goes without saying...Purely from a performance standpoint, they need Pipo Derani and similarly spectacular drivers of which their are plenty.
Old 18 Aug 2017, 01:19 (Ref:3760058)   #683
pach233
Veteran

United States
Greenville, SC
pach233 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpach233 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Agreed it would be wise for ESM to pair Dalziel with Derani assuming Dalziel stays with them. They are consistently the quickest two on the squad.

Any word on Performence Tech plans for next year. They've obviously been dominant in PC. Could they step up to Prototypes with Masson perhaps?
Old 18 Aug 2017, 01:48 (Ref:3760066)   #684
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pach233 View Post
Agreed it would be wise for ESM to pair Dalziel with Derani assuming Dalziel stays with them. They are consistently the quickest two on the squad.

Any word on Performence Tech plans for next year. They've obviously been dominant in PC. Could they step up to Prototypes with Masson perhaps?
That might be a big step for Kyle, but he appears to be a skilled driver. And I guess he wouldn't be the first to make the transition. Nunez has done well.
Old 18 Aug 2017, 02:14 (Ref:3760071)   #685
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
If ESM are serious about next year, then Scott Sharp cannot drive for them...That goes without saying...Purely from a performance standpoint, they need Pipo Derani and similarly spectacular drivers of which their are plenty.
You mean to say that he cannot drive for himself? Really?

L.P.
Old 18 Aug 2017, 02:26 (Ref:3760074)   #686
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
AoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
You mean to say that he cannot drive for himself? Really?
Not if he wants to win consistently.
Old 18 Aug 2017, 02:30 (Ref:3760075)   #687
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Who says Dalziel won't fill a seat in one of the Cadillacs?
Old 18 Aug 2017, 02:51 (Ref:3760079)   #688
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AoB Special Stage View Post
Not if he wants to win consistently.
Some teams exist just so the owner can drive, period.

L.P.
Old 18 Aug 2017, 06:51 (Ref:3760101)   #689
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

L.P.
Yes he knows, that's what he's saying. It exists for him. If they want to win then they need to change that.
Old 18 Aug 2017, 07:49 (Ref:3760107)   #690
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
IMSA: USCR 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Yes he knows, that's what he's saying. It exists for him. If they want to win then they need to change that.

Well, if they put Daziel or a similar calibre driver in with Derani, that would be a super strong line up, so I'd argue then it'd be fair enough if Sharp wanted to run the second car

I believe that's what JDC are doing next year. One hot shoe car, one pro am

It's fair enough, remember you have to pay people like Derani, whereas the Am's pay to be there, so I think it's a fair deal for a two car team

On a driver note- I'd like to see Senna back in an ESM car next year, maybe not full time but he'd make a nice addition for the endurance races
Old 18 Aug 2017, 12:44 (Ref:3760154)   #691
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
I hope we get to see Alex Lynn getting a full time seat in a proto, he impressed big time earlier in the year.

Any idea if Fittipaldi and Barbosa are to continue their careers?
Old 18 Aug 2017, 14:48 (Ref:3760180)   #692
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
You mean the car in which he drove that came third to the winning team car (with the gremlins seemingly tamed). Yes, a shame he seems mired back among the GTDs.

L.P.
Old 18 Aug 2017, 15:28 (Ref:3760187)   #693
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
AoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's the old conundrum of putting all of your eggs in one basket or compromising both cars.
Old 18 Aug 2017, 16:16 (Ref:3760197)   #694
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
You mean the car in which he drove that came third to the winning team car (with the gremlins seemingly tamed). Yes, a shame he seems mired back among the GTDs.
Third place is not winning, that's his point.

Don't know why people are being so difficult about it. It's not like it's a massively revelation is it? Sharp is the weakest link, and removing the weakest link improves the chances of winning. It'd be the same if Hedman, Krohn and Ed Brown all gave up too. Everybody understands they pay the bills, but this creates an artificial problem they have to overcome to become championship contenders. It isn't a shock.
Old 18 Aug 2017, 17:51 (Ref:3760217)   #695
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
The car number color code which goes back to ALMS is great. I'm sure that will continue. I have stated before what I hope the colors for the GT classes are going to be in 2018.

In addition. I hope IMSA does away with requiring the GT cars to have the class color pasted on the sides at the top of the windshield, the mirrors, and the rear wing sides. Just a color for the car number is good enough. Like they did with DPI this year.
Old 18 Aug 2017, 18:43 (Ref:3760239)   #696
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

L.P.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcarr6 View Post
Well, if they put Daziel or a similar calibre driver in with Derani, that would be a super strong line up, so I'd argue then it'd be fair enough if Sharp wanted to run the second car

I believe that's what JDC are doing next year. One hot shoe car, one pro am

It's fair enough, remember you have to pay people like Derani, whereas the Am's pay to be there, so I think it's a fair deal for a two car team

On a driver note- I'd like to see Senna back in an ESM car next year, maybe not full time but he'd make a nice addition for the endurance races
Maybe this is the difference between sports car racing in American and other forms for Motorsport (in a positive way). No harm for owners to race, and maybe it's not all about winning but just enjoying the time.

If ESM as a two car team wants owners and drivers having fun even if they don't win, it's a stark contrast in philosophy to Penske or Joest, or WTR. Maybe that's my real observation. Didnt mean to single out Scott Sharp. He's just doing his thing and rightly so.
Old 18 Aug 2017, 21:50 (Ref:3760279)   #697
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Plenty of pay drivers and ride buyers in European road racing--the LMS is now all pro-am basically and the ACO have two classes that cater for them in the WEC.

And plenty of those guys are driver/owners if you want to be fair about it. And some of them race for the fun of it, not because it's a business.
Old 18 Aug 2017, 21:55 (Ref:3760280)   #698
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
Plenty of pay drivers and ride buyers in European road racing--the LMS is now all pro-am basically and the ACO have two classes that cater for them in the WEC.

And plenty of those guys are driver/owners if you want to be fair about it. And some of them race for the fun of it, not because it's a business.
ELMS isn't basically Pro-Am, it IS Pro-Am. This is fine because everybody is running Pro-Am so nobody is as at a disadvantage by running a pay/amateur/gentleman driver (ignoring the driver rating argument). That's a bit different in IMSA.

ESM are well within their right to continue running as they are. But then they have to prepare to not win. It sounds blunt but that's the black and white of it. Fine they finished third with Sharp at a race. That's before Penske and Joest are on the scene.
Old 18 Aug 2017, 23:19 (Ref:3760287)   #699
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
ProAm isn't even relevant here. Scott Sharp is a clear cut Platinum until he gets downgraded to Gold for the 2019 season.
Old 18 Aug 2017, 23:38 (Ref:3760289)   #700
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbsmith View Post
ProAm isn't even relevant here. Scott Sharp is a clear cut Platinum until he gets downgraded to Gold for the 2019 season.
Plus he isn't terrible, not as fast as Pipo, but still not bad.