Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 25 Oct 2011, 20:54 (Ref:2976776)   #1
thunderbolt
Veteran

thunderbolt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kubica closes on F1 return

http://www.crash.net/f1/news/174368/...f1_return.html
Quote:
Robert Kubica is close to being in a position where he could make a return to F1 machinery according to the surgeon who operated on his injured hand.

The Pole has been left on the sidelines since his rallying accident back in February, which has forced him to miss the 2011 season and left to question marks about his future career.

While reports last week had suggested that Kubica may need a 'few months' more to recover – which would have put his chances of competing in 2012 at even greater risk – Dr Igor Rossello has now said that the Renault driver is close to being in a position where he can sample an F1 machine and see how competitive he is likely to be in future.
Old 25 Oct 2011, 21:57 (Ref:2976809)   #2
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
I can't help but think that making it back to F1 as a full time driver, is perhaps just a little bit more than they were hoping for. But all the best to him in his attempt to do so.
Old 25 Oct 2011, 23:19 (Ref:2976840)   #3
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I really hope he does make it back... He's been a tremendous loss to F1 this year.
Old 26 Oct 2011, 00:21 (Ref:2976857)   #4
Spritle
Veteran

Spritle has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I miss him and hope he comes back strong but sadly I think he will be a shell of his former self and will eventually walk away or lose his drive.

I hope he proves me wrong!
Old 26 Oct 2011, 00:29 (Ref:2976858)   #5
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritle View Post
I miss him and hope he comes back strong but sadly I think he will be a shell of his former self and will eventually walk away or lose his drive.
That doesn't sound like Robert Kubica... I can only see him coming back if he is convinced that he can be at full strength. If not, he strikes me as the sort of guy that would just walk away...
Old 26 Oct 2011, 06:50 (Ref:2976904)   #6
henners88
Veteran

Wales
henners88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritle View Post

I hope he proves me wrong!
Yeah I hope it doesn't turn into another Wendlinger situation where he returns and just doesn't have the pace. Good luck to him and I hope he comes back strong, but his injuries were horrific and I will be very surprised if he's as good as he was.
Old 26 Oct 2011, 07:50 (Ref:2976922)   #7
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
A bit like Herbert. He was never the same after his Brands Hatch crash.
Old 26 Oct 2011, 07:57 (Ref:2976923)   #8
henners88
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
A bit like Herbert. He was never the same after his Brands Hatch crash.
Yeah he shattered both his legs and struggled with the pedals after that. Didn't Brundle also have a nasty crash in the early 80's that affected his career? I seem to remember him talking about some rehabilitation he had gone through and never felt the same.
Old 26 Oct 2011, 08:07 (Ref:2976928)   #9
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Go Robert. Massively hope this works.
Old 26 Oct 2011, 10:25 (Ref:2977007)   #10
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Wishful thinking!
Old 26 Oct 2011, 12:59 (Ref:2977107)   #11
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
Same here.
Old 26 Oct 2011, 13:09 (Ref:2977118)   #12
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by henners88 View Post
Yeah he shattered both his legs and struggled with the pedals after that. Didn't Brundle also have a nasty crash in the early 80's that affected his career? I seem to remember him talking about some rehabilitation he had gone through and never felt the same.
Brundle had a very had crashes in Monaco and Detroit, but it was Eddie Irvine's tyre hitting his head in Brazil '94 that had the most profound effect on him. He said on the Beeb coverage that he was never really the same after that.
Old 26 Oct 2011, 13:27 (Ref:2977137)   #13
henners88
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by Down F0rce View Post
Brundle had a very had crashes in Monaco and Detroit, but it was Eddie Irvine's tyre hitting his head in Brazil '94 that had the most profound effect on him. He said on the Beeb coverage that he was never really the same after that.
He also broke both his ankles in a practice session for the Dallas GP in 1984, which had an effect on him when dealing with heavy braking. I remember him talking about the Irvine crash too.
Old 26 Oct 2011, 14:08 (Ref:2977154)   #14
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
totally. i also hope they are willing to give him time in the car.

it would be interesting to know how they go from a few runs to test his comfort level to slowly building him back up to full race pace.

obviously we must respect his privacy, but there is a fascinating aspect here about the rehabilitation process that i would love to know more about.
Old 26 Oct 2011, 14:40 (Ref:2977165)   #15
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I do get the feeling that he may be able to make a comeback at some point, but to me it looks like they're pushing it by making it 2012. 2013 may be a far far better bet, but it looks like everyone's hurrying him...
Old 26 Oct 2011, 14:45 (Ref:2977168)   #16
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The problem is how much testing will he get, given the current regulations? Is he going to get some kind of dispensation from the F.I.A.?
Old 26 Oct 2011, 14:55 (Ref:2977171)   #17
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
The problem is how much testing will he get, given the current regulations? Is he going to get some kind of dispensation from the F.I.A.?
He can go in the simulator as often as he wants. Maybe do a bit of PR work. Drive one of Renault's 3 or 4 year old F1 cars until the wheels fall off.
Old 26 Oct 2011, 23:01 (Ref:2977428)   #18
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
As much as I would love to see Robert back on the grid.......
Old 27 Oct 2011, 10:10 (Ref:2977580)   #19
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
He can go in the simulator as often as he wants. Maybe do a bit of PR work. Drive one of Renault's 3 or 4 year old F1 cars until the wheels fall off.
presumably he would do what they did for maria de villota earlier this year - a couple of days at paul ricard and last year's demo car.
Old 27 Oct 2011, 10:13 (Ref:2977584)   #20
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
presumably he would do what they did for maria de villota earlier this year - a couple of days at paul ricard and last year's demo car.
Something like that.
Old 1 Nov 2011, 08:19 (Ref:2980001)   #21
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

It needs to happen soon if he's going to start the 2012 season. Maybe it already has, away from the spotlight. That wouldn't be a bad thing for Robert.
Old 1 Nov 2011, 08:30 (Ref:2980006)   #22
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
It needs to happen soon if he's going to start the 2012 season. Maybe it already has, away from the spotlight. That wouldn't be a bad thing for Robert.
I think that 'away from the spotlight' is essential for all concerned. I'd love to see him back in F1, but only if he's the same as he was before his nasty accident. If not, I'd prefer to remember him as he was.
If any testing he does is under the spotlight it will not only put even more pressure on him to perform (maybe too soon, before he's settled back in and comfortable), but his initial performance (good or bad) could lead to totally innacurate speculation about his abilities (good or bad).
Old 1 Nov 2011, 11:40 (Ref:2980082)   #23
Mr Pink
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Mr Pink should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
I think that 'away from the spotlight' is essential for all concerned. I'd love to see him back in F1, but only if he's the same as he was before his nasty accident. If not, I'd prefer to remember him as he was.
If any testing he does is under the spotlight it will not only put even more pressure on him to perform (maybe too soon, before he's settled back in and comfortable), but his initial performance (good or bad) could lead to totally innacurate speculation about his abilities (good or bad).
Robert strikes me as a proper race car driver though, the kind who would care more about getting back in the car than what people remember him as.
Old 1 Nov 2011, 12:36 (Ref:2980109)   #24
Wims
Veteran

Norway
Wims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I broke my wrist way back in the mid 90s and after it had healed I couldnt play guitar anymore without it hurting like hell. It still hurts whenever I play the guitar. I basically had to give up guitar. From what I understand Kubica almost severed his arm, a much, much more serious injury than my simple wrist breakage. Kubica did of course have access to way better doctors than what I had, but the severity of his injury was far greater than mine. I would be surprised if he's the same after recovering from such an injury, and that it would not affect his pace or indeed his ability to drive a racecar altogether.
Old 1 Nov 2011, 13:21 (Ref:2980132)   #25
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
As you say. It's one thing to get your mobility back, but it's a completely different thing to get it back to what it was before. Many drivers have competed successfully with very bad leg injuries. Or indeed, with no use of their legs at all! But far fewer have competed successfully with severe arm injuries. It's very important that you have a balanced 'feel' in both hands. You may have enough of that to drive a road car.......