Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 10 Apr 2012, 13:49 (Ref:3056458)   #1
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
McLaren: the art of racing

I've just been reading a copy of the present issue of Motor Sport, and seen the "mission control" at McLaren HQ used to monitor the events going on wherever the team are racing.

Holy smoke! Am I being naive, or did you all know about this? I knew that McLaren could monitor the behaviour of an F1 road car from their base, and that at the circuits they had all the equipment to analyse and adjust any problems with the GP cars in situ, but all the same!!!

Is this what it's all come to? I thought we were all joking when we said that eventually the cars will not need drivers.It reminds me of a dumb "Bond" film, with the statutory underground lair with henchmen running everywhere. Ye gods. Alf Francis must be spinning in his proverbial.

Surely this has all gone far enough.They talk about trying to reduce costs, and then we get this. Opinions, anyone?
Old 10 Apr 2012, 13:57 (Ref:3056463)   #2
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well telemetry from the cars is just data, it's received by radio in the pits, and once it's there it can go anywhere for analysis.
Old 10 Apr 2012, 14:08 (Ref:3056473)   #3
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnetON View Post
Well telemetry from the cars is just data, it's received by radio in the pits, and once it's there it can go anywhere for analysis.
Good point. But how can any team justify this when they know that the sport is trying to show the public that it's reducing its overheads?

I've just noticed that the book is written by Maurice Hamilton, which gives it some credence, but it's £99 a pop for some pretty pictures. I expect Mclaren will be giving one out to all the "celebrities" who visit the pits.Will Ice T hold it the right way up?

I don't suppose HRT and co. have thse facilities. Do we know if any other team does?
Old 10 Apr 2012, 14:10 (Ref:3056475)   #4
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm sure you'll find that all the teams will have something similar, possibly not to the same extent. As for cost, if they already have the people then it's only data. I would also assume that having people "remote" from the circuit takes a load of pressure off and means that they are better able to concentrate on the task at hand rather than worrying about hotel/food/packing/getting to the airport after the race, etc.
Old 10 Apr 2012, 14:15 (Ref:3056477)   #5
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
MagnetON, could you please remove that Avatar? I'm on a diet.

IIRC, Coulthard did a bit of a thing where he went inside the McLaren factory and we saw an army of people who were sorting out race strategy whilst the race took place elsewhere. This allows them to monitor fuel consumption, and all that other interesting stuff. They probably even monitor what sort of mood Hamilton is in.

In stark contrast, the MotoGP riders have to stare at pit boards whilst flashing passed them at well over 200mph. Any problems, and you arrive in the pits completely unannounced.
Old 10 Apr 2012, 14:27 (Ref:3056484)   #6
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
Hmmm. I hadn't really expected forum members to accept it as just part of the deal. It DOES mean employing extra people back at base, and have uyou seen how many there are?

I think that maybe my feelings about it belong on a nostalgia thread. I like the comparison with MotoGP. Surely all the data analysis is overload? What's wrong with a "best mate" in greasy overalls, that's what I say.

Seriously though, now that the big teams have become used to this back-up, how are they ever going to be persuaded to abandon it? Next thing is, there'll be an app on your I-phone so the viewer can decide what happens next.
Old 10 Apr 2012, 14:30 (Ref:3056486)   #7
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicanary View Post
Seriously though, now that the big teams have become used to this back-up, how are they ever going to be persuaded to abandon it? Next thing is, there'll be an app on your I-phone so the viewer can decide what happens next.
Well I wouldn't use an iPhone but you already get a lot of info on your phone. If you pay F1,com you can get live timing, it's not a big leap from there to other important bits of telemetry.
Old 10 Apr 2012, 15:04 (Ref:3056514)   #8
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicanary View Post
Next thing is, there'll be an app on your I-phone so the viewer can decide what happens next.
Press # to see Massa win. hmmm...it all seems very unlikely.
Old 10 Apr 2012, 15:20 (Ref:3056524)   #9
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
I'm off to work now until the morrow, in case anyone thinks I'm ignoring comments/questions.

Why isn't a bank of screens in a van in the paddock enough? Just think of the running costs for that HQ - rates,heat,light,electricity,wages,uniforms etc..I've never understood why the place had to be so grandiose - they make cars in penny-numbers.

Or is Big Ron in some hidden room over-seeing 5 yr-olds making Olympic Games memorabilia? Leather breeches and a bull-whip.
Old 10 Apr 2012, 18:01 (Ref:3056624)   #10
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Teams are only allowed a certain number of people at the races so this is one reason why they use the factory to carry out some functions.
Old 10 Apr 2012, 18:12 (Ref:3056634)   #11
Shawn
Racer

England
East Sussex
Shawn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remember seeing a program on Motors with Williams staff monitoring progress from home whist a race was on in some part of the world.

Just with them they were down the pub.
Old 10 Apr 2012, 19:09 (Ref:3056671)   #12
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It is crazy and I do have sympathy with the it was better when they didn't.

Why do they do it?
To be better than those who don't. To have access to all their experts at a race.

Expense?
Cheaper than sending them to the race. They aren't employing more people just using resource that is normally wasted while the cars are away racing. Got a problem with a part? Ask Billy who designed it. Or George who has a wealth of experience. And they don't have to be away from home for so long!

Do you need a computer and to do it remotely to have a discussion? No, but your here on 10-10ths!
Old 10 Apr 2012, 19:18 (Ref:3056685)   #13
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
If you pay F1,com you can get live timing, it's not a big leap from there to other important bits of telemetry.
This is free, Peter.
Old 10 Apr 2012, 20:00 (Ref:3056726)   #14
neiltb
Racer

Scotland
toronto
neiltb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
another reason to limit the # of data streams that you can get from telemetry. I dread to think of the number of channels of data currently beamed back. Give them a byte/sec limit or a channel limit. I have a piece of process equipment at my work and get 26 channels of data every 4 seconds and it's only 5MB over 8 hours.

It would save them a fortune on hard drives.
Old 10 Apr 2012, 20:37 (Ref:3056752)   #15
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Big teams resembling Bond villain hideaways happened because F1 has always prided itself on being cutting edge so we wind up here in the IT age with these grotesque HQ's that would embarrass NASA mission control.

Get rid of it. Over a few years, perhaps, so teams can wind it down and work off their investment, but get rid of it. We're in the cost-cutting era so strip out the telemetry and ban windtunnels. Assign an FIA delegation to the 12 teams to monitor compliance. There's a law of diminishing returns with these glamorous gadgets anyway.

Last edited by Paradise City; 10 Apr 2012 at 20:46.
Old 10 Apr 2012, 22:34 (Ref:3056838)   #16
luke g28
Racer

luke g28 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridluke g28 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
Big teams resembling Bond villain hideaways happened because F1 has always prided itself on being cutting edge so we wind up here in the IT age with these grotesque HQ's that would embarrass NASA mission control.

Get rid of it. Over a few years, perhaps, so teams can wind it down and work off their investment, but get rid of it. We're in the cost-cutting era so strip out the telemetry and ban windtunnels. Assign an FIA delegation to the 12 teams to monitor compliance. There's a law of diminishing returns with these glamorous gadgets anyway.
F1 cars are so far past the line of diminishing returns that it has become a dot.
Old 11 Apr 2012, 00:40 (Ref:3056893)   #17
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Well I wouldn't use an iPhone but you already get a lot of info on your phone. If you pay F1,com you can get live timing, it's not a big leap from there to other important bits of telemetry.
Why do you prefer looking at that silly little screen on your Blackberry ?
Old 11 Apr 2012, 10:24 (Ref:3057042)   #18
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post

Nice to see someone else on the Emerald Isle in agreement. I do respect the other points of view, but was astounded by the flagrant showmanship of the whole thing at a time when the "back of the grid" teams must be wondering why they ever bothered.

The attempts at cost-cutting so far have been a complete joke - BCE has got to sit down with these guys and thrash it out. I like the idea of a compliance team provided that they're not told to "take it easy" on certain teams (we need them, nudge,nudge, you know, that lot in red).
Old 11 Apr 2012, 15:34 (Ref:3057215)   #19
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Well, that's the difficult thing. You have to take into account what HRT wants as well as what Ferrari wants out of F1.

HRT, among others, aren't selling road cars, and Ferrari aren't struggling with cash problems.
Old 11 Apr 2012, 18:26 (Ref:3057303)   #20
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I fully subscribe to the diminishing returns theory, although make no comment on whether it still isn't worth it. However:
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke g28 View Post
F1 cars are so far past the line of diminishing returns that it has become a dot.
If it has diminished so much how come some cars are faster than others?
It hasn't diminished as much for McLaren
Old 11 Apr 2012, 18:34 (Ref:3057310)   #21
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Indeed.

There must be some reason why some cars are five seconds per lap quicker than other cars, and those faster cars are still finding improvements throughout the season.
Old 11 Apr 2012, 19:43 (Ref:3057362)   #22
luke g28
Racer

luke g28 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridluke g28 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
I fully subscribe to the diminishing returns theory, although make no comment on whether it still isn't worth it. However:
If it has diminished so much how come some cars are faster than others?
It hasn't diminished as much for McLaren
Budget.

Both from the point of view of overall expenditure and the wages you can offer for the top designers.

There is very little chance of a mid field team turning up at one race and winning on merit. Likewise we know come the start of the season that Ferrari, Mclaren and Redbull are going to be the top 3 teams.

Who will spend the most over the season, Mclaren or Caterham? Yet which will make the biggest gain in lap time? Probably Caterham.
Old 11 Apr 2012, 20:52 (Ref:3057403)   #23
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
So budget means that you can make a better cars? That is exactly my point. The returns haven't completely diminished to a dot then.
Old 11 Apr 2012, 20:57 (Ref:3057405)   #24
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
This is free, Peter.
The mobile version is twenty quid. Used to be free but not now. It is free on the lappy or pooter.
Old 11 Apr 2012, 22:25 (Ref:3057474)   #25
luke g28
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
So budget means that you can make a better cars? That is exactly my point. The returns haven't completely diminished to a dot then.
Yes.

Hypothetically,

say a lap time of 1:20 costs £35m
1:19 costs an additional £5m
1:18 costs an additional £10m
1:17.5 costs an additional £15m
1:17.2 is an additional £15m

So the top 3 are on 1:17.2's the mid field are 1:17.5-1:18 and the bottom teams are 1:19-1:20.

Diminishing returns is larger costs for smaller gains. It doesnt mean that in a money no object situation it is impossible to improve on lap time, just that it costs more and more for a smaller gain.

Now by enforcing a budget cap, the lower teams cannot close up the last few tenths to the front runners as the cost could exceed their entire seasons budget.

If you compare Mclarens budget with saubers, how much more do mclaren spend each year to cross the line 1-2 car lengths ahead of a sauber over a flying lap? Is that investment "value for money" ?