Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 11 Apr 2012, 23:57 (Ref:3057523)   #26
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
A budget cap would only work if the regulations were still fairly tight. This would prevent teams with the more 'off-the-shelf' resources from making it a mockery.
Old 12 Apr 2012, 00:27 (Ref:3057535)   #27
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
You'd need to allocate to each team a small team of crack accountants to properly police a budget cap. A team that'll spot an accountancy trick at fifty paces. I don't know if the will is there for that and there would be legal problems as accountancy 'tricks' are often technically quite legal even if conducted in bad faith.

As for the law of diminishing returns, that'll happen when the IT revolution takes a few more turns and having a Starfleet HQ won't be beyond the means for even the most disorganised of Jed Clampett outfits.
Old 12 Apr 2012, 02:28 (Ref:3057567)   #28
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
The teams are always going to raise as much money as they possibly can, and then they are going to spend it trying to go as fast as they can.

Have any of the cost-cutting plans ever worked? It seems to me teams spend less only when they have less available to them to spend (i.e. losing sponsorship). Perhaps if you ban sponsorship on cars then spending would be cut.

It strikes me cost-cutting plans in the presence of available large budgets are as effective as gun control.

I think attempting a budget cap would cause more headaches than it would be worth. There would be constant accusations/suspicions of cheating.
Old 12 Apr 2012, 08:08 (Ref:3057657)   #29
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
The mobile version is twenty quid. Used to be free but not now. It is free on the lappy or pooter.
Is there not still two versions? When I had an iPhone there was the twenty quid version, but there was an almost identical free version too. Not sure what the differences were and certainly was not going to pay that much money to find out! Ludicrous price.
Old 12 Apr 2012, 08:18 (Ref:3057661)   #30
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Not as far as I can see on the F1.com website.
Old 12 Apr 2012, 08:34 (Ref:3057672)   #31
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Gah, that sucks.
Old 12 Apr 2012, 08:55 (Ref:3057684)   #32
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yup.
Old 12 Apr 2012, 21:19 (Ref:3058047)   #33
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke g28 View Post
Diminishing returns is larger costs for smaller gains.
I know, I wasn't disputing that
Old 13 Apr 2012, 00:34 (Ref:3058122)   #34
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
What's really need is smaller costs for larger gains, but you'd better be very quick with development from one race to the next!
Old 13 Apr 2012, 22:46 (Ref:3058649)   #35
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That would lead to a less competitive grid with bigger gaps between teams. Diminishing returns actually means a closer field.

If you changed the rules dramatically every year and didn't announce it until late in the game... Nah, no one liked that idea!
Old 13 Apr 2012, 23:27 (Ref:3058666)   #36
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
That would lead to a less competitive grid with bigger gaps between teams. Diminishing returns actually means a closer field.
Yes indeedy, but that point takes some getting across to some people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
If you changed the rules dramatically every year and didn't announce it until late in the game... Nah, no one liked that idea!
December 1st 2012; FIA regulations for 2013 season:

1.1: Technical regulations: > 2 wheels*, a chassis, and power-train; 100 litres/kgs of whatever potent concoction that you can come up with in a laboratory.

1.1 (a): Sporting regulations: To be made up as we go along, as usual.

I think that we would probably get more entertainment from the eternal bickering that went on.

*Does anyone think that particular regulation to be on the restrictive side of things?