Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 28 Oct 2002, 15:00 (Ref:415476)   #1
stevew
Rookie

Cyprus
stevew should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Club Trainee Scrutineer Vacancy

Want to take part in UK Motorsport.

The Mini 7 Racing Club has a vacancy for a Volunteer Trainee Scrutineer, to assist our
Eligibility Scrutineer(Owen Hall) during the National & Winter Mini 7 Challenge rounds.
Full training will be given.

For further details please contact myself.

mailtoteve.whiteley@mini7.co.uk

Regards

Steve Whiteley
Mini 7 Racing Club

steve.whiteley@mini7.co.uk
www.mini7.co.uk
Old 28 Oct 2002, 18:20 (Ref:415705)   #2
scrutineer
Racer

scrutineer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am sure that the MSA wont approve of this. As for full training will be given in 1 event it takes almost 2 years to become a scrutineer and 3-4 years to become a national B.
This is not the place to be asking for volunteers you should be using official and trained people. This is peoples lives that you are talking about. If things are missed then people can get hurt.
Old 28 Oct 2002, 22:21 (Ref:415906)   #3
stevew
Rookie

Cyprus
stevew should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did you not read the message, we are looking for an assistant, I know it takes 2 years training.
What are you on about '1 Event' what we need is somebody to learn the ropes under supervision.
You have taken this well off context.
Old 29 Oct 2002, 06:56 (Ref:416153)   #4
scrutineer
Racer

I am not taking this out of context a trainee scrutineer is not meant to do eligibility they are required to train to scrutineer grade (saftey) before even thinking of going on to eligability.
Old 29 Oct 2002, 09:25 (Ref:416205)   #5
Teletubby
Veteran

England
Hampshire
Teletubby should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTeletubby should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think that the response was rather sharp, how do you suggest that the Mini 7 Racing Club recruits a trainee scrutineer then?

Rather than posting negatives why not suggest an alternative?

Just my two penneth.
Old 29 Oct 2002, 12:23 (Ref:416347)   #6
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Agree. All trainees have to start somewhere and it would be nice to think they could do it in a friendly and welcoming environment.
Old 29 Oct 2002, 12:31 (Ref:416352)   #7
scrutineer
Racer

The corect way to get a new traniee is to go through the MSA that is why thay are there. And the point I am making is that trainee cant jump into this area, this is for experianced scrutineers. Trainees need to get a grounding first just as marshals do you cant jump into being an observer before you do course.
If TOCA want a new clerk they dont put an add on here they do it throught the proper channels so why cant the mini 7s
Old 29 Oct 2002, 12:56 (Ref:416371)   #8
Brushpusher
Racer

Brushpusher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If I was interested in becoming a Scrutineer where whould I start?
Old 29 Oct 2002, 13:02 (Ref:416376)   #9
jase
Veteran

jase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by scrutineer
The corect way to get a new traniee is to go through the MSA that is why thay are there. And the point I am making is that trainee cant jump into this area, this is for experianced scrutineers. Trainees need to get a grounding first just as marshals do you cant jump into being an observer before you do course.
If TOCA want a new clerk they dont put an add on here they do it throught the proper channels so why cant the mini 7s
Well, thank you for the information, IF i'd wanted to be a scrutineer i sure wouldn't know how to apply, there is no information freely available saying "do you want to be a scrutineer?" like there is for marshals. But as Teletubby said, constructive rather than sharp comments woul've been better.
Old 29 Oct 2002, 13:06 (Ref:416380)   #10
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Scrutineer, may I make a suggestion here?

Would you be prepared to put together some information for those interested in becoming a scrutineer. I'm thinking along the lines of who to contact, what type of training would be involved, what type of things you would be expected to know and do.

I'm sure there are many people interested in becoming a scrutineer and this could be the way forward for a few of them.

Just a passing thought....
Old 29 Oct 2002, 13:17 (Ref:416387)   #11
scrutineer
Racer

If anyone is interested then go to the MSA website www.msauk.org go to the contacts page and email the technical dpt. Tell them what you want to do and they will send you out the forms. You could do with knowing about cars and how they work, but all you need to know is in the blue book and can be picked up over time.
As I have said before if anyone wants to know more then please contact me via PM. Other than that when your next at a race meeting go to the bay and ask.
And the sharp comments were due to the fact that it should not be run in this way as it makes the job look like a walk in the park, and if it is done right it is far from it. It will take up a lot of time weekends and during the week.
Old 29 Oct 2002, 13:33 (Ref:416390)   #12
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Many thanks for the details, hopefully it will wet a few apetites! I don't think anyone really thinks it would be a walk in the park but the only way to find out is to enlist and see for themselves. Motor racing needs more volunteers and professional ones at that.

Thanks again for posting the details.
Old 31 Oct 2002, 00:00 (Ref:418059)   #13
imull
Veteran

imull has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
eh!?!

WE had the ex chief scrutineer ( i think that was his old title) do a talk at uni and I am pretty sure that he said you get placed with a mentor who shows you the ropes and trains you over a period. Why cant your mentor happen to be the scrutineer for the above champiohsips...

Surely you could apply to teh MSA to be a trainee scrutineer and also ask for placement in this vacant job because your amini fan etc...

Why cant a trainee jump into it? As surely to be a trainee you have to have already gone through teh MSA.
Old 31 Oct 2002, 07:03 (Ref:418186)   #14
brickkicker
Veteran

brickkicker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well as a trainee scrutineer I will try and explain how I started and what you have to do and the order to do it.
Step 1) Contact the MSA technical dept
Step 2) You will receive a form that you fill in (name address what you are applying for etc) and send back
Step 3) you will then get a pack that includes a list of mentors around the country
Step 4) you will then get another pack that has the blue book official’s book a badge and more books and your training manual.
Step 5) Contact your mentor and try and get some dates that you can go to a meeting, its also a good idea if you are at a race as a spectator, marshal etc go to the bay and speak to the chief and make yourself known (and try and get some dates of them)
Step 6) go to your first meeting then you start to learn what you are looking at (not as easy as it looks as there is a lot to remember)
That is the basics and as far as I know (and am sure that this is right) you cannot go into eligibility until you are a qualified scrutineer, you can go and watch and help out but you need to be working in the bay on the safety side as this is the only way to get your training manual filled in. I also think it is better to go to different types of meetings as if you just concentrate on one particular series as you are not getting a full range of experience (from FIA down to club meeting and you can do hill climbs drag racing etc)
Hope this might have been some help to anyone thinking of giving it ago
Old 31 Oct 2002, 08:10 (Ref:418216)   #15
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Brill! Thanks for the info Brickkicker.
Old 31 Oct 2002, 13:35 (Ref:418484)   #16
Teletubby
Veteran

England
Hampshire
Teletubby should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTeletubby should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thanks Brickkicker, that's the sort of reply that was needed in the first place.