Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > WTCC & European Touring Car Series

Old 21 Apr 2017, 11:25 (Ref:3728147)   #16
thetool
Veteran

thetool has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
That's fine, as long as you post about it from a position of not watching any of the championship, we all now how much value to attribute to any opinion you have.
Does the fact I watch it or not actually have any impact on the validity of my opinion? Is a blind man's opinion therefore automatically invalid? I would suggest otherwise.

I've usually been too busy competing myself (at a very low level) to see much of it anyway, but the aspect of show over substance has really put me off. This isn't an uncommon opinion.

BTCC is popular as it has become the reality TV of motorsport. Easy to follow, on the surface entertaining, but ultimately trash. In the 90s the series became popular due to the calibre of the participants and the standard of the cars.

BTCC is an entertainment now, almost in the same way as WWE. There's nothing wrong with that. If that is what you are looking for then great. I didn't even mind the success ballast that came in about 20 years ago, as did not affect the validity of the sporting contest. It crossed the line when it was decided to pursue the GT3 model of all cars being balanced and equal. When different cars win depending on whose had the best BOP given to them, that's when I lose interest. Give me a season like 2001 where one team wins 25 races over the fakery we suffer these days.

I used to travel the country to see this series, from Knockhill, Mondello Park to Brands Hatch, and being based in the North of England, that was a lot of travelling and expense. I'm just so sad that the state of racing is such that I'm not even that interested in going to be local round anymore.

But these things don't last forever, there will be a change at some point, just it is impossible to see when. But I do look forward to it. In the meantime I'll enjoy other series.
Old 21 Apr 2017, 12:04 (Ref:3728153)   #17
crmalcolm
Veteran

Italy
crmalcolm has a real shot at the podium!crmalcolm has a real shot at the podium!crmalcolm has a real shot at the podium!crmalcolm has a real shot at the podium!crmalcolm has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetool View Post
Does the fact I watch it or not actually have any impact on the validity of my opinion?
I made a comment about value, not validity.
Old 21 Apr 2017, 13:09 (Ref:3728165)   #18
thetool
Veteran

thetool has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
I made a comment about value, not validity.
So you are the arbiter of value of opinions then? Good to know.
Old 21 Apr 2017, 13:27 (Ref:3728168)   #19
thlbtcc
Veteran

thlbtcc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyway.......

For the many thousands who do watch and enjoy the BTCC and aren't bogged down by generational baggage, who's looking forward to Thruxton?!

Nice to see improvements to the outside of the Chruch corner. Great to see the series supporting Billy in a visible way. Could Jeff Smtih carry the pace from testing into the race weekend? Will the new Dunlop tyre reduce the number of punctures? Where are MG testing before the event? Plenty to discuss, you know, about Thruxton.
Old 21 Apr 2017, 13:40 (Ref:3728171)   #20
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridS griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridS griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridS griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Jeff Smith seems to do well when he's got a race winning team mate to learn, as he did with AJ and now does with Goff, so who knows how well he will go
Old 21 Apr 2017, 13:44 (Ref:3728172)   #21
crmalcolm
Veteran

Italy
crmalcolm has a real shot at the podium!crmalcolm has a real shot at the podium!crmalcolm has a real shot at the podium!crmalcolm has a real shot at the podium!crmalcolm has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thlbtcc View Post
Will the new Dunlop tyre reduce the number of punctures?
Not sure, but WSR feel they have learnt a lot about the tyre from the test.
I wonder how much teams push their setup during testing, to be close to the race conditions as possible including use of kerbs etc.?

Across the Hondas there seems to be plenty of setup knowledge that put them into the top 4 positions - can they exploit this on raceday, or have others been sandbagging a bit?
Old 21 Apr 2017, 13:52 (Ref:3728174)   #22
luckn002
Racer

England
South England
luckn002 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Across the Hondas there seems to be plenty of setup knowledge that put them into the top 4 positions - can they exploit this on raceday, or have others been sandbagging a bit?
This is a traditionally a strong track for the Hondas and I wouldn't be suprised to see 3 wins for a Type-R.
Probably Neal with no weight, Shedden and I would say Goff who seems to have more race pace than Smith.

The Subaru's may struggle - by missing yesterday's test they'll have limited set-up information about the car and track?

I hope we see the VWs back on form - strong circuit and feel both Epps and Hill were unlucky.
Epps' crash at Donington must've been much harder than it looked from TV as he had to miss the test due to damage.

Also a Focus won here last year so the pressures on Mat Jackson to be back in the mix.
Old 21 Apr 2017, 14:10 (Ref:3728179)   #23
crmalcolm
Veteran

Italy
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckn002 View Post
This is a traditionally a strong track for the Hondas and I wouldn't be suprised to see 3 wins for a Type-R.
Probably Neal with no weight, Shedden and I would say Goff who seems to have more race pace than Smith.

The Subaru's may struggle - by missing yesterday's test they'll have limited set-up information about the car and track?
Neal's P3 in last year's qualy was with 75kg on so previous form suggests he should go well.
I can see another strong Mercedes weekend too going on past form.

The MG's were P4 and P5, so will have some setup data to take into the race despite missing the test.
The leading Subaru was Turks in P13, with Plato as far back as P21 nearly 1.5s off pole - so it doesn't look promising on that score.

Have the Subarus had any running at Thruxton since Qualy in 2016?
Old 21 Apr 2017, 15:04 (Ref:3728189)   #24
thlbtcc
Veteran

thlbtcc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Jeff Smith seems to do well when he's got a race winning team mate to learn, as he did with AJ and now does with Goff, so who knows how well he will go
Definitely a step forward for Jeff this season. Well done.
Old 21 Apr 2017, 15:19 (Ref:3728192)   #25
luckn002
Racer

England
South England
luckn002 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From Dan Lloyd's Twitter: "Productive Friday getting ready for a busy week away next week. Looking forward to testing at Croft on Tuesday! Lots to work on for Thruxton"

So looks like MG are testing at Croft next week instead
Old 21 Apr 2017, 16:33 (Ref:3728207)   #26
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 has a real shot at the podium!BertMk2 has a real shot at the podium!BertMk2 has a real shot at the podium!BertMk2 has a real shot at the podium!BertMk2 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
I tuned out from the BTCC during the BTC years of 2001 - 2006 as I really wasn't a fan of the cars. I got back into it once S2000 came in and started to attend races again, so from that point of view, my interest in the series has come and gone a little over the years. I'm not a **huge** fan of the current cars, but what keeps me attending the races is the spectacle and racing itself rather than the "cars".
I'm with you on this - the Super Touring and S2000 cars were cracking bits of kit that were/are interesting in their own right (moreso the Super Tourers). I've been to some club meetings purely on the strength of 1 or 2 Super Tourers being present for example. The current crop of cars are a bit 'meh' individually but there are enough of them to make the racing a spectacle.
Old 21 Apr 2017, 17:04 (Ref:3728212)   #27
pagey318
Rookie

pagey318 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BMR and 888 seem to like to test in secrecy, but I can't see how testing at Croft will prepare them for Thruxton in any way at all. The tracks are very, very different, there is no track like Thurxton so I am suprised they didn't want to go there just to get a feel for the place on the tyres and actually get some decent running there after last year
Old 21 Apr 2017, 17:58 (Ref:3728217)   #28
crmalcolm
Veteran

Italy
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckn002 View Post
From Dan Lloyd's Twitter: "Productive Friday getting ready for a busy week away next week. Looking forward to testing at Croft on Tuesday! Lots to work on for Thruxton"

So looks like MG are testing at Croft next week instead
Looking at Croft test days (28 April), the running sessions are limited. Will this give them anywhere near the mileage the likes of Eurotech got at Thruxton?
Old 21 Apr 2017, 18:20 (Ref:3728219)   #29
Liquoriceman
Rookie

England
Lancashire
Liquoriceman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by thlbtcc View Post
This was most hilarious. Thank you.

A technical failure in Race 1, contact-induced puncture in Race 2, back of the grid for Race 3 for JP, FYI.
So in your opinion he was on the pace of Sutton regardless of the his in-race misfortunes?

I only watched it live where it didn't look like it. I haven't seen any interviews or commentary on the Subarus relative positions yet but my theory was based on a comment about boost levels from within the paddock.

Sent from my R7plusf using Tapatalk
Old 21 Apr 2017, 19:04 (Ref:3728225)   #30
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridredshoes should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridredshoes should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pagey318 View Post
BMR and 888 seem to like to test in secrecy, but I can't see how testing at Croft will prepare them for Thruxton in any way at all. The tracks are very, very different, there is no track like Thurxton
Maybe they are looking at the bigger picture. As you say, Thruxton is like no other circuit, so testing at Thruxton only helps the next time you race at Thruxton. Testing at Croft will probably give you data that will be useful at other circuits. BMR's lack of pace so far this year suggests a fundamental problem with the car. If that's the case then testing at Croft may be the better long-term option.