Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 29 Aug 2011, 12:19 (Ref:2947609)   #1
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Baltimore Grand Prix - 2/3 September 2011

Thought I would start a race thread since this round is only 5 days away! There doesn't seem to be a lot of excitement about this round. The area had an earthquake and a hurricane, but everything seems to be ready to go for the race. A brand new circuit should leave all teams and tire makers on even footing, and we may see some interesting results in GT.

Schedule

Entry List

Timing & Scoring

Live Video ALMS

Live Video ESPN3
Old 29 Aug 2011, 12:27 (Ref:2947610)   #2
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm excited, seeing sports cars in tidy little street circuits is always fun. Especially since we have no idea what to expect really

That weight break for porkies won't probably affect their pace too much, but Flizards were mighty fast at Long Beach. Expecting similar speed here
Old 29 Aug 2011, 12:34 (Ref:2947617)   #3
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
I'm excited, seeing sports cars in tidy little street circuits is always fun. Especially since we have no idea what to expect really

That weight break for porkies won't probably affect their pace too much, but Flizards were mighty fast at Long Beach. Expecting similar speed here
Lets hope that this one does not have railroad tracks, bumps the size of foothills, makeshift high school football stands and a 1st gear hairpin.

Glad there are only 2 of these every year.
Old 29 Aug 2011, 12:41 (Ref:2947624)   #4
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I love bumps and two dollar chicanes, long live Reliant Park Speaking of which, I hope Indy makes comeback there someday so we'd have excuse to return as well
Old 29 Aug 2011, 12:46 (Ref:2947626)   #5
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I haven't been to a street race since the early 90's, but I agree it is a fun atmosphere. I hope those forum members who are lucky enough to go to the race let us know how it was.
Old 29 Aug 2011, 12:50 (Ref:2947630)   #6
Deleted
Veteran

When was the last time we had a brand new circuit addition in the calendar anyway... 2007!?!
Old 29 Aug 2011, 12:57 (Ref:2947634)   #7
Deleted
Veteran

Wait I just checked the entry list, have I missed something or where have the two Robertson Fords disappeared?! Smaller GTC field as well.

There's no Le Mans test day during this street race, Andrea and David
Old 29 Aug 2011, 13:13 (Ref:2947654)   #8
Carsandmotorracing
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland NZ
Carsandmotorracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Should be a great race as per usual in the ALMS.

So glad i can see this over the internet. And I agree we need to go back to Reliant Park, I was just watching the Champ Car race from 2007 about 2 hours ago, fantastic crazy track.
Old 29 Aug 2011, 13:22 (Ref:2947664)   #9
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
The area had an earthquake and a hurricane, but everything seems to be ready to go for the race.
And now, they will close off a portion of downtown for some racing. Helluva couple weeks for these folks!
Old 29 Aug 2011, 13:27 (Ref:2947671)   #10
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Wait I just checked the entry list, have I missed something or where have the two Robertson Fords disappeared?! Smaller GTC field as well.

There's no Le Mans test day during this street race, Andrea and David
They are saying that because they didn't go to Long Beach, they don't have a baseline street setup. I'm not sure I'm buying that, let's hope there's nothing more to it.
Old 29 Aug 2011, 13:44 (Ref:2947695)   #11
Deleted
Veteran

Just read that from their facebook page. Must be the poorest excuse I've ever heard, this way they surely won't beat ESM in the team points...
Old 29 Aug 2011, 13:48 (Ref:2947698)   #12
Carsandmotorracing
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland NZ
Carsandmotorracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with that ^
Old 29 Aug 2011, 13:49 (Ref:2947699)   #13
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Just read that from their facebook page. Must be the poorest excuse I've ever heard, this way they surely won't beat ESM in the team points...
I just hope there isnt any issues within the team, especially money problems. After their year so far with a podium at Le Mans and Lime Rock, it would be heartbreaking to lose this team.
Old 29 Aug 2011, 13:58 (Ref:2947703)   #14
Deleted
Veteran

If it was budget issues they would've probably dropped the second car already. They claim to be back at Laguna so I guess it's not all doom & gloom

By the way, their Road America race report claimed:
-- "Robertson Racing, as well as H, will be back in ALMS action at the inaugural Baltimore Grand Prix on September 2/3."

Righto...

Last edited by Deleted; 29 Aug 2011 at 14:03.
Old 29 Aug 2011, 14:02 (Ref:2947707)   #15
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
Quote:
If it was budget issues they would've probably dropped the second car already. They claim to be back at Laguna so I guess it's not all doom & gloom

By the way, their Road America race report claimed:
-- "Robertson Racing, as well as H, will be back in ALMS action at the inaugural Baltimore Grand Prix on September 2/3."

Righto...
Good news
Old 29 Aug 2011, 14:35 (Ref:2947722)   #16
WolfsburgRS
Veteran

United States
Baltimore, MD
WolfsburgRS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCosworthPanoz View Post
Lets hope that this one does not have railroad tracks, bumps the size of foothills, makeshift high school football stands and a 1st gear hairpin.

Glad there are only 2 of these every year.

If you look at the track map, the chicane on the main straight and the same section down on the south part of the track both go over the light rail tracks.

The streets are 100x smoother than they were before, at least the sections I've driven on, but still very very bumpy by race track standards. I predict the Porsches will do well.

I'll be there taking lots of pictures and will certainly give my impressions. That is, if the move from NYC to Baltimore this week doesn't kill me first.
Old 29 Aug 2011, 16:54 (Ref:2947787)   #17
Audi Racer
Veteran

United States
Audi Racer has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Security is going to be very tight. Baltimore isn't the best of places.
looking forwar. hope i dont get pickpocketed
Old 29 Aug 2011, 17:45 (Ref:2947806)   #18
WolfsburgRS
Veteran

United States
Baltimore, MD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audi Racer View Post
Security is going to be very tight. Baltimore isn't the best of places.
looking forwar. hope i dont get pickpocketed
You'll be fine. As long as you're not selling drugs, buying drugs or somehow involved in the drug trade, or maybe go stumbling into the wrong area at 2am, the chance of real danger is pretty much like any big city. I mean, the Preakness is in a pretty bad area way over on the west side, and no-one ever has an issue there, and the race is at the heart of tourist-friendly downtown. Let me know where your hotel is and I can tell you if you have anything to avoid there.
Old 29 Aug 2011, 17:53 (Ref:2947813)   #19
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I was rather hoping Tony Cotman had learned the lessons of San Jose a little better. However, he has been good in the past at making some decent, quick fixes during the weekend. My main thing would be that the transition over the tracks on Pratt needs to be worked out properly, so they don't have to screw up the front straight, and the best passing place, into Turn 1.
Old 29 Aug 2011, 18:05 (Ref:2947823)   #20
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfsburgRS View Post
You'll be fine. As long as you're not selling drugs, buying drugs or somehow involved in the drug trade, or maybe go stumbling into the wrong area at 2am, the chance of real danger is pretty much like any big city. I mean, the Preakness is in a pretty bad area way over on the west side, and no-one ever has an issue there, and the race is at the heart of tourist-friendly downtown. Let me know where your hotel is and I can tell you if you have anything to avoid there.
I think this is actually the most dangerous part of Baltimore for visitors, dont think Ive been to a U.S. city that has so many damn tourist traps.
Old 29 Aug 2011, 18:44 (Ref:2947850)   #21
WolfsburgRS
Veteran

United States
Baltimore, MD
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCosworthPanoz View Post
I think this is actually the most dangerous part of Baltimore for visitors, dont think Ive been to a U.S. city that has so many damn tourist traps.

hey now, I like the Aquarium!

Old 29 Aug 2011, 19:26 (Ref:2947874)   #22
Guardian
Racer

United States
Maryland
Guardian should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For those that haven't seen the track map:

I have grandstand seats at #10, the hairpin... I drove the parts of the track that I could last Friday while working downtown. Very cool driving down the streets all walled in...

I'll be there for all 3 days, hopefully the weather holds up, the forecast shows sun for Saturday, but afternoon thunderstorms are always a possibility here in the mid-atlantic late summer...
Old 29 Aug 2011, 20:16 (Ref:2947912)   #23
AndrewF31
Veteran

Canada
Spain
AndrewF31 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndrewF31 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Wow, thanks for the track info.

The paddocks are all over the place, and funny to see the pit lane on a different part of the track then the start/finish straight.

And Level 5 is gone again. I thought they'd be around for all the ALMS races? Could it be related with the cost-capped point mentioned in the Silverstone thread? Or just the stupidity of racing in a class by themselves?

Last edited by AndrewF31; 29 Aug 2011 at 20:43.
Old 29 Aug 2011, 20:56 (Ref:2947939)   #24
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewF31 View Post
And Level 5 is gone again. I thought they'd be around for all the ALMS races? Could it be related with the cost-capped point mentioned in the Silverstone thread? Or just the stupidity of racing in a class by themselves?
More of the latter. Level 5 has only raced in 3 ALMS races this season, but even that figure is deceiving. They raced at the ILMC shared event at Sebring and then did Long Beach, but not really. They did not bother to qualify, withdrew one car, and then just did the minimum number of laps to score points in the other other car. Road America would be the 3rd race.
Old 29 Aug 2011, 21:34 (Ref:2947961)   #25
arakis
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade,Serbia
arakis has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
guardian thats a nice spot for taking pics
To launch a new FIA GT2 category based on strict technical rules, with limited wavers and ‘balance of performance' limited to success ballast. A category where GT manufacturers will prove through competition they can produce the best road going GT car.