Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Closed Thread

Old 24 Nov 2011, 07:16 (Ref:2990762)   #751
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
it's got nothing to do with 'tall poppy' syndrome the CEO shouldn't be quoted saying a ready to race car costs only $180,000 if it doesn't.
Old 24 Nov 2011, 08:08 (Ref:2990766)   #752
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
on_to_it has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by promax View Post
it's got nothing to do with 'tall poppy' syndrome the CEO shouldn't be quoted saying a ready to race car costs only $180,000 if it doesn't.
So do you blame the CEO or the media? Definition of 'tall poppy' - people of genuine merit are resented, attacked, cut down, or criticised because their talents or achievements elevate them above or distinguish them from their peers. My comment stands.

It read like an attack rather than an opinion to me. You can't rely on the media to get everything correct, and don't we all know that?
Old 24 Nov 2011, 09:48 (Ref:2990791)   #753
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
LOL if this was a Team Kiwi media release from Big Dave you wouldn't be crying 'tall poppy' syndrome, eh? a $180,000 race ready ST that's faster than a V8SC sounds more impressive than one that might cost around a 1/4 of a million dollar.. one that may or may not be faster than a V8SC... does it not? not sure who sprinkled the sugar on this article (nor that i care) but this ain't the first time Paul has claimed the ST is faster than a V8SC the cars look good and no doubt they will be fast.. but save the sugar for people with a sweet tooth

Last edited by promax; 24 Nov 2011 at 10:02.
Old 24 Nov 2011, 18:51 (Ref:2990952)   #754
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
LOL if this was a Team Kiwi media release from Big Dave you wouldn't be crying 'tall poppy' syndrome, eh?
I don't 'cry' about anything promax. I have opinions based on facts, and you're entitled not to agree with me if you wish. But you're right this time. If it was a TKR press release, I would take it all with a pinch of salt. And the reason for that is the fact that they have virtually no credibility left after years and years of misrepresentation and self-destruction. I don't see anything even remotely similar to the ST people, who are from what I have observed, operating at a much higher level. You've heard the saying "chalk and cheese"?
Old 24 Nov 2011, 19:04 (Ref:2990958)   #755
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
fact: a race ready ST doesn't cost $180,000

fact: the ST CEO was quoted saying that was the price

fact: it's friday and i'm looking forward to the weekend
Old 24 Nov 2011, 19:57 (Ref:2990969)   #756
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
fact: a race ready ST doesn't cost $180,000

fact: the ST CEO was quoted saying that was the price

fact: it's friday and i'm looking forward to the weekend
No disputing that's what the article says. My point has always been that the media often get details wrong and they are far from meticulous when it comes to detail. I don't think that article warrants a bagging for SuperTourers, that's all. They seem very professional, unlike that other outfit you mentioned.
Old 24 Nov 2011, 21:48 (Ref:2990999)   #757
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by on_to_it View Post
No disputing that's what the article says. My point has always been that the media often get details wrong and they are far from meticulous when it comes to detail. I don't think that article warrants a bagging for SuperTourers, that's all. They seem very professional, unlike that other outfit you mentioned.
The media do get things wrong, that's for sure. The trouble is we are all programmed to automatically believe what we see or read in the "credible" media when often it is pushed out there with no credibility checks just to get the viewers...
Old 24 Nov 2011, 21:57 (Ref:2991009)   #758
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Boy View Post
The media do get things wrong, that's for sure. The trouble is we are all programmed to automatically believe what we see or read in the "credible" media when often it is pushed out there with no credibility checks just to get the viewers...
Yes you're right, but isn't that the way of the modern world. Perhaps we should view it as 'mis-Information Technology'
Old 24 Nov 2011, 23:33 (Ref:2991052)   #759
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
umm some of the "wrong" actually came out of the CEO's mouth
Old 24 Nov 2011, 23:45 (Ref:2991054)   #760
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Quote:
umm some of the "wrong" actually came out of the CEO's mouth
But how do you know that it did unless you actually heard him say it yourself? Even when quotation marks are used, the content can still be changed even if it's only a word or two, and sometimes that can change the entire meaning of the quote?

For instance, what if he said something like, "For around $180k you can get yourself a V8 Supertourer and be almost ready to race," if you take out the "around" and "almost" you get, "For $180k you can get yourself a V8 Supertourer and be ready to race."

You get my drift anyway. But you may have actually seen him say it on TV or something?? Or were you the actual reporter....
Old 25 Nov 2011, 00:29 (Ref:2991066)   #761
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
umm cause the interview was on tv and i saw his mouth move and heard the sounds coming out of it LMAO!!!
Old 25 Nov 2011, 01:36 (Ref:2991075)   #762
St00ge
Veteran

St00ge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
umm cause the interview was on tv and i saw his mouth move and heard the sounds coming out of it LMAO!!!
But but but but they could of edited the video

Old 25 Nov 2011, 02:20 (Ref:2991079)   #763
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Quote:
Fair enough - he must have been having a John Key moment...
Old 25 Nov 2011, 02:35 (Ref:2991083)   #764
brown dog
Racer

brown dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbrown dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In a similar vein, I saw Clint Brown plugging the new Mitchell Extreeeeme NZV8 on TV for $60K. Motor racing has never looked so affordable!
Old 25 Nov 2011, 03:49 (Ref:2991099)   #765
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by brown dog View Post
In a similar vein, I saw Clint Brown plugging the new Mitchell Extreeeeme NZV8 on TV for $60K. Motor racing has never looked so affordable!
Good point, I saw that as well. I think they were talking about the chassis only but correct me if I'm wrong. And how many have they sold?
Old 25 Nov 2011, 05:52 (Ref:2991117)   #766
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by brown dog View Post
the MRX promo/ad is on VoltTv's youtube page
Old 25 Nov 2011, 07:44 (Ref:2991136)   #767
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
the MRX promo/ad is on VoltTv's youtube page
Well, I'm youtube challenged. I just watched a load of cool videos but couldn't fine that one. Can you post a link promax?
Old 25 Nov 2011, 10:20 (Ref:2991169)   #768
Rugz
Rookie

New Zealand
West Auckland
Rugz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by on_to_it View Post
Well, I'm youtube challenged. I just watched a load of cool videos but couldn't fine that one. Can you post a link promax?
http://youtu.be/Yb4kor-4gpc
Old 25 Nov 2011, 10:31 (Ref:2991170)   #769
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugz View Post
Thanks Rugz, I hadn't seen that before. I did see the car at Puke and it looked pretty sharp. Nice presentation but what about the engine and box? Are we going to continue to fatten engine builders bank balances or get on with some real driver vs driver genuine-parity stuff?
Old 25 Nov 2011, 11:30 (Ref:2991195)   #770
StraightLine
Rookie

StraightLine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Petch View Post
People have a choice in life, we wish the situation was not as it is, but it is what it is.

We have made a choice, and offered the same choice to all the current NZV8 teams at no cost other than the cost of the new car,

We believe the traditional Summer Series is unsustainable in this economic climate, will it ever be the same again?

We dont think so.

Mark Petch.
Mark interesting reading back through some of your post's

Wasn't it you and the other NZV8 directors that chose to split the V8 class up and run a break away series?

Interesting how you quote that
"the traditional Summer Series is unsustainable in this economic climate"

How will your new ST series be any more sustainable in this economic climate running in months that traditionally have bad weather?

I would have thought splitting the sport up in this economy was only detrimental to motorsport!

It's been asked before what support classes have you got lined up for each event?

I note that round 3 Manfeild April 28/29 is the weekend after the biggest motorsport event in NZ, V8 Supercars in Hamilton. Why would you do that?

Round 5 Taupo August 11/12 It was snowing in Taupo in the same week this year, if it's not snowing it will be guaranteed to be cold horrible weather. How do you expect any sort of crowd to turn up?

ST have done a great job around promoting the the new series on TV3 and with the media. Awesome cars and a driver lineup that has created some good media particularly with Greg Murphy involved! How could you go wrong?

My question to you Mark (amongst the others) is how do you make this work financially?

From what I understand TV production cost for each event to be around 150k

Circuit hire, marketing, event management infrastructure to run each event is between 75k to 100k

Staff wages & operating cost's between 400k and 500k

These are only but a few of the costs that anyone can see

My rough calculation that it's going to take some 2 to 2.5 million dollars to run your new series! With no real sponsors announced and less than a month to Christmas. How is this sustainable in this economic climate?
Or are all the rich guys in the series going to toss money in the pot to make it run?

How ever I look at this it can't be good for motorsport!

Last edited by StraightLine; 25 Nov 2011 at 11:40.
Old 26 Nov 2011, 08:06 (Ref:2991498)   #771
smokin'joe
Veteran

smokin'joe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightLine View Post
Mark interesting reading back through some of your post's

Wasn't it you and the other NZV8 directors that chose to split the V8 class up and run a break away series?

Interesting how you quote that
"the traditional Summer Series is unsustainable in this economic climate"

How will your new ST series be any more sustainable in this economic climate running in months that traditionally have bad weather?

I would have thought splitting the sport up in this economy was only detrimental to motorsport!

It's been asked before what support classes have you got lined up for each event?

I note that round 3 Manfeild April 28/29 is the weekend after the biggest motorsport event in NZ, V8 Supercars in Hamilton. Why would you do that?

Round 5 Taupo August 11/12 It was snowing in Taupo in the same week this year, if it's not snowing it will be guaranteed to be cold horrible weather. How do you expect any sort of crowd to turn up?

ST have done a great job around promoting the the new series on TV3 and with the media. Awesome cars and a driver lineup that has created some good media particularly with Greg Murphy involved! How could you go wrong?

My question to you Mark (amongst the others) is how do you make this work financially?

From what I understand TV production cost for each event to be around 150k

Circuit hire, marketing, event management infrastructure to run each event is between 75k to 100k

Staff wages & operating cost's between 400k and 500k

These are only but a few of the costs that anyone can see

My rough calculation that it's going to take some 2 to 2.5 million dollars to run your new series! With no real sponsors announced and less than a month to Christmas. How is this sustainable in this economic climate?
Or are all the rich guys in the series going to toss money in the pot to make it run?

How ever I look at this it can't be good for motorsport!
mate, it's not about what's good for motorsport, it's all about nursing egos for the elite
Old 26 Nov 2011, 10:27 (Ref:2991522)   #772
Icarus_nz
Racer

New Zealand
Paradise
Icarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridIcarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was out at Pukekohe today and saw the Supertourer Prototype up close during the pit lane walk. The guys looking after the car were really friendly and enthusiastic about their new toy but also seemed to be motorsport enthusiasts in general.
From what they are saying, the cars being assembled now for the series are nicer in a lot of subtle ways to the prototype.
I have to say the 'mule' is a tidy piece of gear. The build quality is top notch.
Personally, I have never cared at all about the blue/red tribal thing. Its a bit 'meathead' IMHO. What will be neat to see is so many top drivers looking to extract every last bit of performance from their cars. The slightest mistake will cost dearly in grid positions.
Old 26 Nov 2011, 20:12 (Ref:2991694)   #773
GizzFan
Rookie

GizzFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus_nz View Post
I was out at Pukekohe today and saw the Supertourer Prototype up close during the pit lane walk. The guys looking after the car were really friendly and enthusiastic about their new toy but also seemed to be motorsport enthusiasts in general.
From what they are saying, the cars being assembled now for the series are nicer in a lot of subtle ways to the prototype.
I have to say the 'mule' is a tidy piece of gear. The build quality is top notch.
Personally, I have never cared at all about the blue/red tribal thing. Its a bit 'meathead' IMHO. What will be neat to see is so many top drivers looking to extract every last bit of performance from their cars. The slightest mistake will cost dearly in grid positions.
Yep I got to have a good snoop around the beast, looks like they have changed a few things since i saw it at the speedshow, like the new air intake, the front bar, the Brembo brakes, even the wheels looked different somehow.

The new wing was attached to a spare boot lid and looks very trick, unfortunately I dont think they got to run it, because there were so many delays in the program. I agree all the guy's were really approachable and friendly, so cant wait for the first round now.
Old 27 Nov 2011, 00:48 (Ref:2991768)   #774
Ugy
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
Ugy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Be interesting to see how many ST's are on Trademe in 2013
Old 27 Nov 2011, 01:50 (Ref:2991781)   #775
Icarus_nz
Racer

New Zealand
Paradise
Icarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridIcarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've spent a bit of time reading this forum from one end to the other and I'm puzzled. This seems such a hate-fest.
Mother used to tell me 'if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything.' Did anyone else get told this?

When you do some online research about the people behind this new concept what I see is people who have been involved year after year (after year) in New Zealand motorsport and between them certainly know how to win.

There are some valid questions about the car and the series but so many of the posts are thinly veiled personal attacks. WTF?

So far it appears that the ST folk have a clear plan and are ticking boxes towards their first meeting. The consistency of their promotion is to be admired. In a RWC/Election year they've kept their head above the horizon and maintained a simmer of interest.

The fact that there are so many knockers suggests they must be doing something right.
Closed Thread