Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 3 Feb 2012, 00:50 (Ref:3020811)   #101
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
If Michelin has stopped their P2 development,
Interesting. According to Goodwin's Twitter,

Quote:
Michelin is utilising existing stocks and will be moviong away from LMP2 after this season
I wonder why Michelin is stopping development on P2 tires when there are seemingly a lot of potential customers. Perhaps they don't want to spend the money to develop competitive tires, I don't know. It's kind of odd.
Old 3 Feb 2012, 04:31 (Ref:3020842)   #102
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Poor ROI in a Pro-Am class where too many confounding variables obscure the quality of tyre and dilute brand value?
Old 3 Feb 2012, 04:36 (Ref:3020843)   #103
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc_nl View Post
Status GP will be at LM via a back door. On the Dyson website it says they will support them at LM
As they did with Level 5 last year, I think? Would be awesome if the hookup got Alexander Sims one of the 4? seats still available, but I am not holding my breath.
Old 3 Feb 2012, 04:40 (Ref:3020844)   #104
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Davies View Post
So, question is, who would you swap from there? I'm guessing a lot of those are rewards for committing to the ELMS. Personally, I'd rather have the second Pro Aston to the Am car (though this was probably an AMR request) and the IMSA Porsche to the JMB Ferrari. And at a push, the Lotus for one of the Orecas.
Thanks for that summary of invited entrants, Rodger! I would agree to the JMB vs. IMSA switch unless JMB brings pros and fast ams like in GT Open, agree with the Aston Pro vs. Am if the cynic in me didn't expect the same lineup regardless of class (since they love their funded drivers) and disagree about the Lotus more because I would love Mowlem in a real P car. That said, I think the Lotus P2 that's on the confirmed list will be filled by funded drivers lined up already in the hope of 2 entries.
Old 3 Feb 2012, 05:24 (Ref:3020855)   #105
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk View Post
Poor ROI in a Pro-Am class where too many confounding variables obscure the quality of tyre and dilute brand value?
Poor ROI might be true. It's not like LMP2 gets a lot of publicity nor are there factory teams so why spend the money competing with Dunlop? Maybe that is the point behind Michelin's pull out. As far as diluting the brand, well, Michelin are the sole suppliers of tires for the LMPCs and for the Wang. Ugh.
Old 3 Feb 2012, 12:13 (Ref:3020983)   #106
Steptoe
Racer

England
10618 miles from Le Mans - NSW Australia
Steptoe should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteptoe should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I like Roger's highlights and lowlights. Anyone else like to summarise in that way - say up to 5 in each category?
Highlights ;
1. Two works Toyotas
2. Another Corvette / Aston battle in the GT classes (Hopefully)
3. Pescarolo Dome
4. Dyson two car effort
5. Two AMR Ones on the grid again

Lowlights ;
1. One too many Audis givng them a very safe option
2. Darren Turner on the reserves
3. Too many LMP2 & not enough GTE Pro
4. Badge engineered Morgan & Lotus prototypes
5. The 'real' Lotus on the reserves
Old 3 Feb 2012, 13:31 (Ref:3021020)   #107
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
+ 2x Corvette vs 2x AF Corse (with Bertolini!) in PRO, also in AM
+ Like it or not, the GTE-AM field is solid if nothing else
+ No BMW
+ Dyson actually decided to join the party
+ Absolutely fantastic P1 petrol field...

- ... but the 4x Audi squad at the front ruins the fun
- 9 entries in GTE-PRO, what?!
- Rejected entries from IMSA, Aston and Lotus
- Too many freaking P2s (even more on the reserves) and also the amount of prototypes compared to GTs in general!!
- Deltawing stealing a spot from deserving entry
Old 3 Feb 2012, 14:03 (Ref:3021034)   #108
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
+ Japanese Customer battle in LMP1 (Honda vs. Toyota vs. Mazda)
+ Dark Horse battle between Pescarolo, Toyota and Honda.
+ Pro battle between Ferrari and Corvette
+ Henri brining a new creature to the race
+ Tom K in a Hybrid R18

- Way to many Lmp2 (especially Oreca Nissans)
- Too many Ferraris and not enough Porsches
- Delta "Fallos"
- No Lotus GTE
- Jet Allience on the Reserve list

It was actually pretty hard to list 5.
Old 3 Feb 2012, 14:11 (Ref:3021036)   #109
lms
Veteran

lms should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
+:
p1 privateers: strakka, jrm, dyson, rebellion
many p2 cars
starworks
pescarolo 03
toyota
oreca hybrid out

-:
wang
4th audi
"same old" dome
some great teams and cars left out
some more variety in lmp2 would be cool (not 80% oreca 03)
hs technik not even on reserve list
norma
Old 3 Feb 2012, 14:21 (Ref:3021040)   #110
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Pros:

+ I know there's a lot of LMP2s, but it'll just make the race manic in that class. Might even be the best class this year...
+ Brundle Sr/Brundle Jr/Ordonez. I'm thinking the elder Brundle can plonk the car on LMP2 pole with surprising ease.
+ Dyson finally making the leap and coming along with both cars.
+ Lizards with two cars again, gives me a couple of Pro Porsches to cheer for.
+ Pescarolo with the Dome and poaching Bourdais and Quick Nic.

Cons:

- Audi going for the "pointless overkill" award with 4 cars.
- Too much Oreca-Nissan in LMP2, they should work on enabling that car to work properly with more than that engine.
- Too few GTE-Pro cars, too much AF Corse.
- No Lotus in GTE.
- The cynical Lotus-badged Lola-Judd.

Neutral:

Deltawing. I don't like the way it looks, to be honest, but unlike other people, I want to see if it's crazy enough to actually work (). However, they could have let the GreenGT in as well, put the two in a single garage, and see what's what, creating a separate class for experimental entries and awarding a trophy for it.

EDIT: Meanwhile, I suspect Status Grand Prix's LMP reserve slot may be forfeited, it seems as if they'll be helping Dyson at Le Mans according to Autosport. http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/97302

Last edited by Victor_RO; 3 Feb 2012 at 14:30.
Old 3 Feb 2012, 14:30 (Ref:3021045)   #111
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
"I'm thinking the elder Brundle can plonk the car on LMP2 pole with surprising ease."

You might be right but then the likes of Ryan Dalziel, Bouchut/ Barbosa, Ayari and Pla amongst others might have something to say about that - There's no shortage of quality in LMP2
Old 3 Feb 2012, 14:32 (Ref:3021049)   #112
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Goodwin View Post
"I'm thinking the elder Brundle can plonk the car on LMP2 pole with surprising ease."

You might be right but then the likes of Ryan Dalziel, Bouchut/ Barbosa, Ayari and Pla amongst others might have something to say about that - There's no shortage of quality in LMP2
Of course, but on the pace of the current packages it'll probably be Zytek-Nissan vs Oreca-Nissan, and the fastest drivers in each type of car.

As for Ayari... if he can keep himself from throwing the car at the scenery. Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Old 3 Feb 2012, 14:58 (Ref:3021054)   #113
AGD
Veteran

Positives:

1. 4 Audis
2. Norma
3. Two HPD P1s that actually look like they will show up this year
4. Dome
5. Ehh...erm...hmm...It's not 1992?

Negatives:

1. 4 Audis
2. The Wang
3. Extreme tire segregation by class
4. Lots and lots of Pro-Am stuff
5. Relatively uninspiring GTE-Pro class
5b. Dyson will probably embarrass the ALMS with those AERs (I could be wrong, but they can always blame bad fuel rules I guess)
Old 3 Feb 2012, 15:09 (Ref:3021059)   #114
Tom87
Racer

England
Tom87 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who was slightly taken aback by FOUR Audis... I'm disappointed that the ACO would allow them to run four entries in a year with limited factory competition (kudos to Toyota for stepping up to a second entry, but competing with Audi in Yr1 is a lot to ask). I also see it as major disincentive to others who might be considering a factory (or serious private) P1 entry.

Rant aside it's actually a fantastic prototype entry, P2 will be ultra-competitive and the quality of the petrol P1 field is such that it's not beyond the realms of possibility that a non-diesel car might get amongst the Audis. It would make a fantastic irony if a petrol car won in a year with four Audis!

GT looks somewhat disappointing with the low number of Pro cars and the absence of BMW, Risi etc. It will be interesting to see how competitive Aston are in the wake of the AMR-One disaster.
Old 3 Feb 2012, 15:55 (Ref:3021077)   #115
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
too much AF Corse.
They had a bucketload of automatic invites, plus three of them are also in WEC so...

Since Risi is absent and the cheaters are gone AF will also be the main opposition for the Corvettes. I'm sure Felbermayr will be strong as usual but 911 is ageing (modifications or not) and for some reason Lizards always screw it up at Sarthe. The other two Ferraris and undeveloped BoP-Vantage shouldn't be that strong either

Last edited by Deleted; 3 Feb 2012 at 16:01.
Old 3 Feb 2012, 17:30 (Ref:3021123)   #116
jc_nl
Racer

Netherlands
Dedemsvaart
jc_nl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anyone know if the engine rules allow for work on the engines in the off season? I seem to recall that biggest problem for the Judd was that they ended up with less then ideal gear ratio's. Have they been allowed to alter those between seasons?

If so we might very well see a more competitieve Judd this year, wich would be good.

I have to say that i find the sometimes negative reactions here (and in the WEC entry threat) a bit over the top. Yes 4 audi's is a lot, but it's not like there is a 2012 version of Spinnaker Clandesteam on the entry list pushing a deserving entry out.
Old 3 Feb 2012, 18:08 (Ref:3021147)   #117
AGD
Veteran

Quote:
I have to say that i find the sometimes negative reactions here (and in the WEC entry threat) a bit over the top. Yes 4 audi's is a lot, but it's not like there is a 2012 version of Spinnaker Clandesteam on the entry list pushing a deserving entry out.
Well, that's why I have the 4 Audis as being a positive and a negative. 4 Audis versus 3 Audis gives us a chance to see another potential overall winning car in the race. That's a positive, but it does come at a cost somewhere else down the grid. The real negative, however, is that a team like Audi can get what they want regardless of the rules or the spirit of the rules. Meanwhile, sometimes the small time teams aren't even given an inch even if they have competitive teams. But, hey, what's new?
Old 3 Feb 2012, 18:21 (Ref:3021155)   #118
lms
Veteran

lms should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
any team on the reserved list would deserve an entry imho., in place of the 4th audi. (Maybe except hope racing with their not-so developed hybrid.) imho this was not really nice from the aco when there are so many teams on the reserve list. Private teams should only be pushed aside when there would be 5-6 manufacturers each with at least 2 cars.

Last edited by lms; 3 Feb 2012 at 18:27.
Old 3 Feb 2012, 18:22 (Ref:3021157)   #119
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Quote:
Originally Posted by lms View Post
any team on the reserved list would deserve an entry imho., in place of the 4th audi. (Maybe except hope racing with their not-so developed hybrid.)
The first two GT reserves instead of the fourth Audi and the cynically Chapman-grave-turning Lotus-painted Lola-Judd. Please.
Old 3 Feb 2012, 18:24 (Ref:3021158)   #120
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Interesting one. I'd normally take another prototype over any GT every time, but I do see the point - even more so after the AMR debacle last year.
Old 3 Feb 2012, 18:32 (Ref:3021162)   #121
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'd rather see an elite LMP1 rather than a GT even if it does tip things too far in favour of Audi. As long as they can race I'm down. But there's a bit of an IF there.
Old 4 Feb 2012, 08:33 (Ref:3021353)   #122
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Very pleased with the entry list overall.

Highlights (for me, Le Mans is all about the top class, so that is predictably where my focus lies):
1) Pescarolo run Dome (I could very easily have put this down for all 5 of my highlights )
2) Dyson finally crossing the Pond. Have been hoping for this for many a year now.
No specific 3), 4) and 5), but P1 is set up for some titanic battles between marques/manufacturers. Toyota vs Dome battle for laptime supremacy. The Rebellion vs Dyson 'inter Lola' duel. Finding out exactly where the Honda P1's will be in terms of speed/reliability.....I have a sneaky suspicion a Honda P1 will be the highest placed petrol car come 15:00 on the Sunday afternoon.

Lowlights:
1) The absence of Peugeot (and a number of their driver squad).
2) The lack of GTE Pro entries.
3) IMSA Matmut GTE Pro car only on reserve list.
4) The other GTE Pro Aston only on the reserve list.
5) The exclusion of the 2nd Lola Lotus from the main entry list and placed last on the reserve list.
Old 4 Feb 2012, 09:35 (Ref:3021368)   #123
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03 View Post
Very pleased with the entry list overall.

Highlights (for me, Le Mans is all about the top class, so that is predictably where my focus lies):
1) Pescarolo run Dome (I could very easily have put this down for all 5 of my highlights )
2) Dyson finally crossing the Pond. Have been hoping for this for many a year now.
No specific 3), 4) and 5), but P1 is set up for some titanic battles between marques/manufacturers. Toyota vs Dome battle for laptime supremacy. The Rebellion vs Dyson 'inter Lola' duel. Finding out exactly where the Honda P1's will be in terms of speed/reliability.....I have a sneaky suspicion a Honda P1 will be the highest placed petrol car come 15:00 on the Sunday afternoon.

Lowlights:
1) The absence of Peugeot (and a number of their driver squad).
2) The lack of GTE Pro entries.
3) IMSA Matmut GTE Pro car only on reserve list.
4) The other GTE Pro Aston only on the reserve list.
5) The exclusion of the 2nd Lola Lotus from the main entry list and placed last on the reserve list.
One glaring omission which would probably slot in at 2) on my 'Lowlights' list is the absence of Muscle Milk Pickett. Great shame they were unable to make the trip.
Old 4 Feb 2012, 09:54 (Ref:3021376)   #124
911targa
Veteran

Taiwan
911targa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
EI has work out a list with confirmations and rumors together
http://endurance-info.com/version2/a...ance-9459.html
Old 4 Feb 2012, 10:29 (Ref:3021386)   #125
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911targa View Post
EI has work out a list with confirmations and rumors together
http://endurance-info.com/version2/a...ance-9459.html
Seems to be a lot of assumptions rather than rumours but interesting all the same.

I see they have Tom Kimber-Smith in at Signatech. He tweeted a couple of days ago he still doesn't have a LM/WEC drive! Seems a strange one especially for LM.